Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

i'd like to get to one of these shows

Music forum.
weimy froob

i'd like to get to one of these shows

Post by weimy froob »

probably won't happen-but that doesn't mean i wouldn't mind seeing this gift under the xmas tree.

Neil Young announces three-night stand at three Minneapolis theaters Jan. 26-29
By Chris Riemenschneider DECEMBER 12, 2018 — 5:54PM

Neil Young’s legion of Twin Cities fans have had to wait eight years since his last show in town, but they’ll only have to wait two days between his next one and the one after that – and then just one more day for a third.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, 73, is set to play a special three-night stand at three different historic theaters in Minneapolis from Jan. 26-29, all solo-acoustic shows. He’s starting off in the smallest of the venues on Jan. 26, the 1,000-person Pantages Theatre, and then moving up in size to the Orpheum on Jan. 28 and then the State on Jan. 29.

Tickets to all three gigs went on sale right away Wednesday to Neil Young Archive members, which requires a $20 annual fee but includes access to tons of rare recordings. Seats are priced at $300, $150 and $50 and will only be available via will call (to combat scalpers). The public on-sale date has not yet been confirmed but could be as early as Friday through Ticketmaster.

Young has done similar multi-night solo stands in cities such as Boston and Detroit over the past year. His set lists at the shows varied from night to night and dug deep into his discography, but favorites such as “Heart of Gold,” “Ohio,” “The Needle & the Damage Done” and “Long May You Run” were usually peppered in.

Of course, the former Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young member had a lot of other things going on in 2018. He married actress Daryl Hannah in August, for one. Less of a surprise, he also raised some ire from the President of the United States via Twitter.

Young spent much of his youth living due north of Minnesota in Winnipeg, and he played some of his earliest rock gigs along Lake Superior in Thunder Bay. So gigging here in January isn't as daunting to him as it is his current neighbors in Los Angeles. He continues to steadfastly support independent farmers in Minnesota and all across America each year as one of Willie Nelson's co-organizers and co-headliners for the Farm Aid concerts, held for the 33rd straight year in September.
Paul Fuggasol

Re: i'd like to get to one of these shows

Post by Paul Fuggasol »

I bought tix for the Sat show at the Pantages and Monday at the Orpheum. I’m totally psyched. This week I also bought tix for two Van Morrison shows in Chicago in April and Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets at the State Theater in March. 2019 is gonna be epic!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Paul Fuggasol wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:57 pm I bought tix for the Sat show at the Pantages and Monday at the Orpheum. I’m totally psyched. This week I also bought tix for two Van Morrison shows in Chicago in April and Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets at the State Theater in March. 2019 is gonna be epic!
i would be too. i've got a lot on my plate right now-but i really should find the time to get to one of these shows. if i don't i know i'll regret it.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:20 am probably won't happen-but that doesn't mean i wouldn't mind seeing this gift under the xmas tree.

Neil Young’s legion of Twin Cities fans have had to wait eight years since his last show in town, but they’ll only have to wait two days between his next one and the one after that – and then just one more day for a third.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, 73, is set to play a special three-night stand at three different historic theaters in Minneapolis from Jan. 26-29, all solo-acoustic shows. He’s starting off in the smallest of the venues on Jan. 26, the 1,000-person Pantages Theatre, and then moving up in size to the Orpheum on Jan. 28 and then the State on Jan. 29.

Tickets to all three gigs went on sale right away Wednesday to Neil Young Archive members, which requires a $20 annual fee but includes access to tons of rare recordings. Seats are priced at $300, $150 and $50 and will only be available via will call (to combat scalpers). The public on-sale date has not yet been confirmed but could be as early as Friday through Ticketmaster.

Young has done similar multi-night solo stands in cities such as Boston and Detroit over the past year. His set lists at the shows varied from night to night and dug deep into his discography, but favorites such as “Heart of Gold,” “Ohio,” “The Needle & the Damage Done” and “Long May You Run” were usually peppered in.

Of course, the former Buffalo Springfield and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young member had a lot of other things going on in 2018. He married actress Daryl Hannah in August, for one. Less of a surprise, he also raised some ire from the President of the United States via Twitter.

Young spent much of his youth living due north of Minnesota in Winnipeg, and he played some of his earliest rock gigs along Lake Superior in Thunder Bay. So gigging here in January isn't as daunting to him as it is his current neighbors in Los Angeles. He continues to steadfastly support independent farmers in Minnesota and all across America each year as one of Willie Nelson's co-organizers and co-headliners for the Farm Aid concerts, held for the 33rd straight year in September.
I would rather stick a hot poker in my ear. :roll:
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Qman65 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:36 am
weimy froob wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:20 am probably won't happen-but that doesn't mean i wouldn't mind seeing this gift under the xmas tree.

I would rather stick a hot poker in my ear. :roll:
T's and P's. :coolio:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

You should go. Sounds like a blast.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

YBBR wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:21 pm You should go. Sounds like a blast.
just got hit with more expenses and it's been a real spendy month already. i don't know if this is going to work out.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Ozzy and Megadeth at the X next July.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Neil Young adds a fourth Minneapolis solo date at Northrop in January

Gov. Dayton didn’t have to get involved (like with the additional Garth Brooks concert), but the demand for tickets to Neil Young’s three-night, three-theater run in Minneapolis next month was apparently strong enough for him to add a fourth night – and at a fourth venue, no less.

Young has newly confirmed a Jan. 31 show at Northrop Auditorium, across the Mississippi from the other three Hennepin Avenue theaters where he’s playing solo-acoustic gigs on Jan. 26 (Pantages), Jan. 28 (Orpheum) and Jan. 29 (State). Northrop was the site of his last Twin Cities appearance in 2010, but the auditorium underwent a drastic $88 million makeover since then.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

I heard you can't even get tickets yet? Never seen Neil Young, but I love his music. I don't live down there anymore or I would for sure be going. Might try to get a ticket when they go up. Gotta catch the legends when you can!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

cunningham wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:18 am I heard you can't even get tickets yet? Never seen Neil Young, but I love his music. I don't live down there anymore or I would for sure be going. Might try to get a ticket when they go up. Gotta catch the legends when you can!
they are first offered to members of his website who pay 20 bucks a year to get first dibs. they probably buy most of them up and sell them at a premium.

As was the case with the previously announced shows, tickets to the Northrop gig went on sale right away Wednesday for $50-$300, but they are only available to members of the Neil Young Archives, an annual subscription to which costs $20. Tickets for the Pantages (the first and smallest of the venues) already sold out to members. There is still no word when the other nights will go on sale to the general public, if ever.
Paul Fuggasol

Post by Paul Fuggasol »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:23 am
cunningham wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:18 am I heard you can't even get tickets yet? Never seen Neil Young, but I love his music. I don't live down there anymore or I would for sure be going. Might try to get a ticket when they go up. Gotta catch the legends when you can!
they are first offered to members of his website who pay 20 bucks a year to get first dibs. they probably buy most of them up and sell them at a premium.

As was the case with the previously announced shows, tickets to the Northrop gig went on sale right away Wednesday for $50-$300, but they are only available to members of the Neil Young Archives, an annual subscription to which costs $20. Tickets for the Pantages (the first and smallest of the venues) already sold out to members. There is still no word when the other nights will go on sale to the general public, if ever.
I scored a pair for Northrop too. Just a heads up, Neil purposely wanted to keep these tickets out of the hands of scalpers. All tickets are will call and the purchaser needs to pick them up at the box office on the night of the shows. These are intimate solo acoustic performances in small theaters. Neil hasn’t played in MN in eight years, if you want to see him here, this might be your last chance.

There have been a lot of Neil fans from the south and both coasts, who are grumbling about his choice of Minneapolis (Madison & Milwaukee) in January for these unique shows. Being from Canada, Neil isn’t afraid of our weather. We need to give him a warm welcome for these gigs! I am so stoked!!!

:naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Paul Fuggasol wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:06 pm

I scored a pair for Northrop too. Just a heads up, Neil purposely wanted to keep these tickets out of the hands of scalpers. All tickets are will call and the purchaser needs to pick them up at the box office on the night of the shows. These are intimate solo acoustic performances in small theaters. Neil hasn’t played in MN in eight years, if you want to see him here, this might be your last chance.

There have been a lot of Neil fans from the south and both coasts, who are grumbling about his choice of Minneapolis (Madison & Milwaukee) in January for these unique shows. Being from Canada, Neil isn’t afraid of our weather. We need to give him a warm welcome for these gigs! I am so stoked!!!

good for neil on the scalper front. are you a member of his archive site?
Paul Fuggasol

Post by Paul Fuggasol »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:30 am

good for neil on the scalper front. are you a member of his archive site?
Yes I am a member at NYA. It's a cool collection of live and studio music going all the way back to Neil's early days. I think it's worth the $20 annual fee. Lots of streamable music and he just added a mobil app to take the tunes where ever you go.

https://www.neilyoungarchives.com
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Neil Young Writes Touching Tribute to Ex-Wife Pegi Young Following Her Death from Cancer

Neil Young is paying tribute to his late ex-wife, musician Pegi Young, who died of cancer last week.

In a post on on his personal website, the singer posted lyrics from his song “Such a Woman,” which was inspired by Pegi.

“You are such a woman to me / And I love you / Our love will live / Until the end of all time,” read the beginning of the lyrics. “No one else can kill me like you do / No one else can fill me like you do / And no, no one else can feel our pain.”

After the lyrics, the singer left a sweet note praising his ex-wife: “Thanks Pegi, for being such a wonderful mother to our children. You live on inside of them and the many you have touched. 01-05-19.”
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

how were the shows?

Night 3 of Minneapolis Neilfest: Young keeps it fresh, lashes out a bit at the State

Neil Young rolled up his flannel sleeves again Tuesday at the State Theatre

And on the third day of Neilfest, our Canadian voyager cut loose with his set-list choices, dug in for a couple of heavy-hitting highlights, and let fly on some annoying fans in the balcony at the State Theatre on Tuesday night.

A sign of just how vast and longevous Neil Young’s discography really is, the 73-year-old rock legend was able to reinvent more than 60% of his setlist from the two previous shows in his four-night Minneapolis stand and still deliver a lot of familiar favorites for the adoring 2,180 fans. All told, 13 of the 21 songs in the 105-minute set list had yet to be played in Minneapolis.

He debuted an icy version of one of his biggest standards to kick off the show, “Cinnamon Girl." From there, he continued to pick out a lot of other songs any casual Neil fan could sing along to – but had yet to enjoy this week -- including “Pocahantas,” “Long May You Run,” “Southern Man,” “Don’t Let It Bring You Down” and “Down by the River.” It’s amazing, really, that three nights into his Minneapolis grand stand, Young still had all those classic songs in his back pocket to debut fresh for the fans going each night.

There were plenty more deeper cuts newly blended into the mix Tuesday, too. The third song in the set, 1969’s “Running Dry (Requiem for the Rockets),” was a true rarity and one of the night’s most melancholy, tender moments. Then came “White Line,” one of two tracks off the epic, guitars-blazing 1990 Crazy Horse album “Ragged Glory” that still sounded blustery and blistering on Tuesday even in the unplugged format.

The other “Ragged Glory” song choice, “F—kin’ Up,” prompted one of the two times in Tuesday’s concert when Young directly addressed the most vocal (and tiresome) fans, a few of whom kept yelling requests at him like seals barking at a trainer. He preceded the song with a few bars of “Stupid Girl,” another apparent request hollered at him from the balcony. “There’s a time for that,” he said, cutting off the “Zuma” album cut, and then he also abruptly stopped playing a few lines into “F---kin’ Up.”

“How come you’re not singing?!” he said with an irritated gesture toward a fan yelling from the balcony. Once he started over, though, the whole room sang along, filling in the “Why do I-I-I?” background parts and relishing one of the night’s rowdiest moments.

Young got irritated again three songs later, and this time the results weren’t so amusing. A minute or so into his sentimental new song, “Olden Days” – which he has performed all three nights on his psychedelically painted grand piano – another bozo in the balcony spoiled the serene moment with a loud “whoop!” Young stopped singing, threw his hands up and let out his own loud catcall to mock the fan. And that was the end of that. He walked back to his circle of guitars and launched into a rather lukewarm “Down by the River,” as if saying to the audience, “Your loss.”

The adaptable old pro hardly phoned in the rest of the show, though. Overall another solemn, mellow and contemplative performance except for the “Ragged Glory” picks -- more akin to Saturday’s Pantages set than Monday’s Orpheum show -- the concert peaked near the end with the nostalgic, wistful gem “From Hank to Hendrix,” delivered with a visible tinge of emotion. He didn’t say anything before or after that one, but it sure looked and sounded like he meant something by playing it just before show's end.

Once again, the lone encore pick was a sweet, ukulele-plucked version of “Tumbleweed,” one of the five songs he has played all three nights seemingly as a means of using all his instruments on stage. The others included “Old King” (played on banjo), “See the Sky About to Rain” (pump organ) and the Buffalo Springfield oldie “Broken Arrow” (black grand piano).

Here’s the set list from Tuesday:

Cinnamon Girl
Pocahontas
Running Dry (Requiem for the Rockets)
White Line
Long May You Run
Old King
Green Is Blue
Are You Ready for the Country?
Harvest
Southern Man
Don't Let It Bring You Down