Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Dylan on Fallon?

Music forum.
Qman65

Dylan on Fallon?

Post by Qman65 »

Any comment or vids?
Last edited by Qman65 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Qman65

Re: Dylan on Fallon?

Post by Qman65 »

Seeing things?
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Spoiler:
a chance for bob to promote his own whiskey brand.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Weird promo for a Bob Dylan whisky?

The times they are a changin, indeed!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Another guy on Falon?

Color me shocked.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:10 pm Weird promo for a Bob Dylan whisky?

The times they are a changin, indeed!
a free one anyways. in corporate america it looks like if you scratch bob's back he'll scratch yours.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Just got my hands on the "More Blood, More Tracks" set. Digging into it now. Anyone else listened to it?

I'm a huge fan of "Blood on the Tracks," and it's interesting to hear these other arrangements of these songs, but it is a bit excessive...

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:56 pm Just got my hands on the "More Blood, More Tracks" set. Digging into it now. Anyone else listened to it?

I'm a huge fan of "Blood on the Tracks," and it's interesting to hear these other arrangements of these songs, but it is a bit excessive...
you buy the deluxe set? i'd rather have the previous bootleg series one-and will eventually get around to purchasing that. it's a more interesting dylan period for me.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this is bootleg vol 13. the one i want. i'm listening to Thief on the Cross (Unreleased song - Nov. 10, 1981)-from it right now. excellent.

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:28 am this is bootleg vol 13. the one i want. i'm listening to Thief on the Cross (Unreleased song - Nov. 10, 1981)-from it right now. excellent.

Dylan has so much material.

It’s daunting to try to experience it all.

I’ll check this out on your recommendation.

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:11 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:28 am this is bootleg vol 13. the one i want. i'm listening to Thief on the Cross (Unreleased song - Nov. 10, 1981)-from it right now. excellent.

Dylan has so much material.

It’s daunting to try to experience it all.

I’ll check this out on your recommendation.
plenty of material for sure. here's six hours plus to get a flavor of the bootleg series stuff. if you like you can buy. also you could google bootleg series 13 reviews to help you decide if you want to buy. there's also a two cd set i think. i'm going to want to get the whole kabash of this one though. i think it's six cd's and a dvd.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm listening to this right now. always liked this song-and this is good too.

You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (9/16/74, Take 8 - with band)
Bob Dylan | More Blood, More Tracks: The Bootleg Series Vol. 14

next one. slower version of the one on the album.

Tangled Up in Blue (9/16/74, Take 1 - with bass) (7:19)

Shelter from the Storm (9/17/74, Take 2 - with bass) (4:39)
Bob Dylan | More Blood, More Tracks: The Bootleg Series Vol. 14 :thumbsup:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this is good too.

Idiot Wind (9/19/74, Take 4, Remake) - with organ overdub (8:52)
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Blood on the Tracks: How Bob Dylan Birthed Bootleg Culture
The songwriter's cast-offs became the stuff of myth and left the music world forever changed

Our debut season of The Opus concludes its dissection of Bob Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks, exploring how the legendary album and its ongoing legacy has sharpened lives, shaken rafters, and ingrained themselves into our culture

From The Basement Tapes to the mythical sessions that would become the just released More Blood, More Tracks collection – bootlegs of Bob Dylan’s music are central to not just his story, but the music industry at large.

Host Paula Mejia is joined by three critics, record collectors, and Dylan fans Jesse Jarnow, Alison Fensterstock, and More Blood, More Tracks liner notes author Jeff Slate to discuss the bootleg culture that’s thrived alongside Dylan’s studio recordings, shed some light on the myths surrounding Blood on the Tracks, and explore how Dylan keeps reinventing these songs in the present.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/12/ ... episode-4/
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

bob and the band playing "blind willie mctell". just press play.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm listening to the one that they put in the stores right now. "tangled up in blue"-excellent. a nice way to work through a sunday morning with mnrubecentral.com too, of course. :coolio:

edit: "simple twist of fate" starts before i could hit the button. what a nice one-two combination.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Bob Dylan's 'Blowin' in the Wind' accompanies Budweiser's next Super Bowl ad
The ad by the beer-making giant is promoting its use of wind as an alternative energy source.

Bob Dylan, Minnesota’s musical counterculture icon, has teamed with the famous Clydesdales and loaned one of his signature protest songs for a Budweiser beer television ad scheduled to run during the Super Bowl on Feb. 3.

Along with selling beer, the theme of the ad released Wednesday by the global brewing giant is the promotion of wind as an alternative energy source.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:21 am

The ad by the beer-making giant is promoting its use of wind as an alternative energy source.

Bob Dylan, Minnesota’s musical counterculture icon, has teamed with the famous Clydesdales and loaned one of his signature protest songs for a Budweiser beer television ad scheduled to run during the Super Bowl on Feb. 3.

Along with selling beer, the theme of the ad released Wednesday by the global brewing giant is the promotion of wind as an alternative energy source.
I'm a big Dylan fan. I'm not old enough to go back to the days when this stuff just came out or anything. I have to imagine some people who were might be upset by this. Dylan's was like a spokesperson for a generation and his music meant something to many people. Now he's using it to sell beer.

I get the sense that Dylan himself doesn't really give a shit about the 60's movement or any of that stuff anymore. I used to care, but things have changed indeed!

- Isaac Asimov
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:25 am
weimy froob wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:21 am

I'm a big Dylan fan. I'm not old enough to go back to the days when this stuff just came out or anything. I have to imagine some people who were might be upset by this. Dylan's was like a spokesperson for a generation and his music meant something to many people. Now he's using it to sell beer.

I get the sense that Dylan himself doesn't really give a shit about the 60's movement or any of that stuff anymore. I used to care, but things have changed indeed!
this is a wind-power theme ad-so i think it's a real good fit for that song. bob has talked at length about how he never felt comfortable with the "spokesman for a generation" label. and he gave a drunken speech in late 1963 that pretty much summed up his attitude towards the politics when he was given an award from some left leaning organization. he insulted the whole organization-but he didn't care.

and he's sold his songs to the top bidder before. one thing that i'm sure about dylan. he loves to make money along with his very spiritual bent. quite an interesting guy-and it'd be real nice to have a conversation with him. if you could be sure he wasn't going to pull your leg. :mrgreen:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

what did you think of the bob-bud ad during the game?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

uh oh.

Budweiser’s Super Bowl B.S.
The beer's parent company is using the Super Bowl to send green messages—while associating with two anti-environmental groups.

https://newrepublic.com/article/153016/ ... 8-63873473
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Izzy Young, who organized Dylan's first big concert, dies

rip izzy. you knew talent when you saw it.

STOCKHOLM — Izzy Young, a former music store owner who organized Bob Dylan's first New York concert and devoted decades of his life supporting folk musicians, has died at age 90.

Young's daughter, Philomene Grandin, said Wednesday that her father died of natural causes late Monday at his home in Stockholm. Before he moved to Sweden in 1973 and went into business there, Young ran a folk music shop in New York that nurtured a generation of artists.

Dylan was a regular visitor to the Folklore Center, the shop Young opened in Greenwich Village in 1957, and once called it "the citadel of Americana folk music."

Young kept his eyes and ears open for talent as people with guitars and sheets of song lyrics went in and out of his store, inviting some to perform there.

He organized Dylan's first major public concert. The Nov. 4, 1961 gig took place at Carnegie Chapter Hall, a small venue connected to the venerable Carnegie Hall.

Others who played at the Folklore Center early in their careers include Peter Paul and Mary, John Sebastian of The Lovin' Spoonful, Joni Mitchell, Emmylou Harris and Tim Buckley, according to Young's website.

In Stockholm, Young reopened his shop as the Folklore Centre. It closed at the end of November due to his age, his daughter said.

Grandin said her father dedicated over 60 years to promoting folk music and musicians who wrote and performed songs in the genre.

"He had opened his heart to so many people, so many poets who came to his shop," Grandin told The Associated Press. "And he was a fantastic father."

She spent several months last year cataloging and packing up Young's library of some 2,000 titles, with a view to selling it as one collection.

He is survived by his daughter, a son and three grandchildren. Funeral services will be held in Stockholm, Grandin said.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'm listening to "planet waves" right now-very underrated imo. "tough mama" followed by "hazel"-very good. actually i don't think there's a clunker on the album. it gets lost in the greatness of his next album-BOTT.