Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Bohemian Rhapsody - the movie

Music forum.
EnLiteEndOne

Bohemian Rhapsody - the movie

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Going tonight @ the big screen in St. Michael.

Been looking forward to this flick for a long time.

Anyone else plan on going this weekend?
Lampin'
BBG

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody - the movie

Post by BBG »

I'm really excited to see this because Queen is one of the greatest things to ever happen to music. It's a tragedy that they completely ignored the fact he was gay/contracted AIDS for the movie.

The early reviews are kind of disappointing but I will still go.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

I will. I dig movies like this, even if they're a little cheesy. I always find them to be interesting. The only other music biography that I remember seeing this much hype would be Straight Outta Compton.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
BBG

Post by BBG »

cmd24 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:15 am I will. I dig movies like this, even if they're a little cheesy. I always find them to be interesting. The only other music biography that I remember seeing this much hype would be Straight Outta Compton.
The Doors
Walk the Line
Selena
La Bamba
Ray

had significant, equal or greater than hype
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

BBG wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:31 am
cmd24 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:15 am I will. I dig movies like this, even if they're a little cheesy. I always find them to be interesting. The only other music biography that I remember seeing this much hype would be Straight Outta Compton.
The Doors
Walk the Line
Selena
La Bamba
Ray

Queen has music that is tailor made for the big screen tho.

Also, Freddy was bisexual. Still your point is very well taken. 👍
Lampin'
Bull

Post by Bull »

BBG wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:09 am I'm really excited to see this because Queen is one of the greatest things to ever happen to music. It's a tragedy that they completely ignored the fact he was gay/contracted AIDS for the movie.

Is that true? I can't see how they could possibly skip over that detail.
mlhouse wrote: Rudy Guiliani is an American hero.
mlhouse wrote: I am a bleeding heart liberal.
mlhouse wrote: Donald Trump was teh most successful one term President in the history of the United States.
BBG

Post by BBG »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:04 pm

Also, Freddy was bisexual. Still your point is very well taken. 👍
careless and insensitive comment by me, thanks for the correction

Bull wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:06 pm
BBG wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:09 am I'm really excited to see this because Queen is one of the greatest things to ever happen to music. It's a tragedy that they completely ignored the fact he was gay/contracted AIDS for the movie.

Is that true? I can't see how they could possibly skip over that detail.
This is what I have read and heard from reviews. I'll see it this weekend and confirm or deny
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

The Doors
Walk the Line
Selena
La Bamba
Ray

Doors came out before I was in to that stuff, or remember, but I could see that, now that you say it. I just don't remember the others getting the hype, but excluding Selena (I never saw it), those are all great movies.
BBG

Post by BBG »

cmd24 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:17 pm
The Doors
Walk the Line
Selena
La Bamba
Ray

Doors came out before I was in to that stuff, or remember, but I could see that, now that you say it. I just don't remember the others getting the hype, but excluding Selena (I never saw it), those are all great movies.
Like you, I really get into these movies because you can almost experience musical icons that existed before our time. Selena is absolutely outstanding, with a young Jennifer Lopez (meow), the movie will turn you into an instant fan.

I was a youngster in junior high when the Doors came out, but my older brother told me that the entire high school class took acid and went and saw that movie. It was very, very popular.

Val Kilmer was very good.

The problem is these movies are wildly inaccurate. Straight Out of Compton was cool, but most that histroy was wrong and it was offensive for them to make Eazy out to be such a bitch. Cube and Dre made themselves out to be more than they were.

The 2pac movie was terrible.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

BBG wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:27 pm
cmd24 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:17 pm

The Doors
Walk the Line
Selena
La Bamba
Ray

Like you, I really get into these movies because you can almost experience musical icons that existed before our time. Selena is absolutely outstanding, with a young Jennifer Lopez (meow), the movie will turn you into an instant fan.

I was a youngster in junior high when the Doors came out, but my older brother told me that the entire high school class took acid and went and saw that movie. It was very, very popular.

Val Kilmer was very good.

The problem is these movies are wildly inaccurate. Straight Out of Compton was cool, but most that histroy was wrong and it was offensive for them to make Eazy out to be such a bitch. Cube and Dre made themselves out to be more than they were.

The 2pac movie was terrible.
I was a little surprised at Compton, because Eazy’s gal was involved with that, as well. And actually, I’ve seen some docs about that (I wish I could remember names), Eazy was a bit of a bitch thru that stretch. But, I’m sure it’s based on what side is reporting it.

I thought All eyez On Me was okay, at best. Notorious wasn’t horrible, but did have a bit of cheesiness to it.

I haven’t watched The Doors in forever. Might need to do that again. That, and Apocolypse Now, was my intro to “This Is The End.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’m interested. I’m a queen fan, but these bad reviews have me cautious. Let me know how it is.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:36 pm I’m interested. I’m a queen fan, but these bad reviews have me cautious. Let me know how it is.
Every reviewer on the radio I've heard starts with the same line of "I have no idea why the critics on Rotten Tomatoes hate this movie but I loved it!"

I'll be checking it out Monday afternoon. They just remodeled the local theater and put in a bar/reclining seats.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

DC4MVP wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:36 pm I’m interested. I’m a queen fan, but these bad reviews have me cautious. Let me know how it is.
Every reviewer on the radio I've heard starts with the same line of "I have no idea why the critics on Rotten Tomatoes hate this movie but I loved it!"

I'll be checking it out Monday afternoon. They just remodeled the local theater and put in a bar/reclining seats.
The criticism I’ve heard is that it’s a fun movie, but it misses chances to go deep on certain remarkable and interesting storylines in favor of a light skim across the breadth of the band’s career. Like it teases something and then moves on to the next album/tour/etc. it leaves you entertained, but unfulfilled.

I’m sure I’ll see it eventually.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

'Killer Queen' was one of my favs when it first came out....had a cool, different sound that I was not familiar with! Would rather see an actual documentary on "Queen" than this movie...
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:02 pm

The criticism I’ve heard is that it’s a fun movie, but it misses chances to go deep on certain remarkable and interesting storylines in favor of a light skim across the breadth of the band’s career. Like it teases something and then moves on to the next album/tour/etc. it leaves you entertained, but unfulfilled.

Just seen it and that is a pretty accurate synopsis.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and would reccomend it to anyone, but if you're expecting a "behind the music" level of depth you're missing the goal of the film.

The remaining band members have killed numerous biopics about Queen since Freddy's death. They didn't want it to be a story about the debauchery and vapidness of Mercury's later years. They wanted that angle to have its role but not be the focal point.

The movie was a blast and probably better seeing it with 200 other people. There was an energy in the theatre.

I'd say it's pretty standard fare as far as musician biopics go, but a hell of a lot of fun. Not as strong of a storyline as The Doors but better music integration.

4/5 dongs.
Lampin'
dennis1

Post by dennis1 »

Just imagine someone trying to get a song like Bohemian Rhapsody played on hit radio in 2018.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:39 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Just seen it and that is a pretty accurate synopsis.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and would reccomend it to anyone, but if you're expecting a "behind the music" level of depth you're missing the goal of the film.

The remaining band members have killed numerous biopics about Queen since Freddy's death. They didn't want it to be a story about the debauchery and vapidness of Mercury's later years. They wanted that angle to have its role but not be the focal point.

The movie was a blast and probably better seeing it with 200 other people. There was an energy in the theatre.

I'd say it's pretty standard fare as far as musician biopics go, but a hell of a lot of fun. Not as strong of a storyline as The Doors but better music integration.

4/5 dongs.
I haven't seen it yet, but I would say the band had too long of a career to get a good enough "in depth" movie. Much the same way Walk the Line was only up to Cash and June actually getting together. I'm the type that could sit thru a more thorough story, but I get why they do it. I'm guessing this movie is the same way, based on your evaluation.
Herky

Post by Herky »

I've heard that May had a lot to do with the movie and wanted Freddie's person life glossed over a bit. He wanted it to be more about Queen the band rather than Freddie.

If you've read books on Freddie you'll know he was far from perfect and def was no saint.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

My best friend gave me News of the World the day it was released which was 2 days before my 10th birthday. We must have listened to it a few dozen times between that Friday and Sunday and I've been hooked ever since.

I loved the music (the Live Aid concert gave me goose bumps) but as a movie it under delivered the band's story. It's tolerable but glossed over and sanitized sadly. Since I knew so much about them already the storytelling didn't tarnish it as much for me as I think it might for more casual fans.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Just got back from it. Absolutely loved it. Can't wait until digital release in a couple months.

-Rami Malik is phenomenal. Oscar worthy for sure.

-Beings it's a biopic and can't be 8-9 hours long, I just wish they could have focused longer on some of the bigger songs. A lot of the time, it's a couple minutes of the band getting the idea for a certain song then it goes to them playing it in concert. I would have killed for a longer look into the production/development behind Bohemian Rhapsody. But like I said.....they have 2.5 hours to cover 15+ years.

-I think they did enough to cover that Freddie was gay without over or under-doing it. You don't want to make the movie about his sexual orientation but rather the man. I think they could have went into the AIDs thing a bit more.

-The Live AID concert at the end was some of the greatest recreations of a live concert in film. Really powerful and moving and it's almost unbelievable the crowd is CGI.

-It's certainly a Freddie Mercury movie more so than Queen so if anyone is expecting a full movie of the band, it's about 95% Freddie (as it should be, in my opinion.

-I noticed some factual errors but one big one was a big part of the last 1/3 of the movie. I don't want to spoil it, though.

4/5 dongs
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

I absolutely loved this movie and I don't care about the inaccuracies.

The live performance scenes were so damn enjoyable, made me envious of those that were able to see Queen live. The amount of time and effort to get all of Freddie's mannerisms mastered must have been absurd.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Watched this last night at home. What a great movie. Rami Malek should be in the running for an Oscar for playing Freddie Mercury. Damn near flawless.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:36 am Watched this last night at home. What a great movie. Rami Malek should be in the running for an Oscar for playing Freddie Mercury. Damn near flawless.
am i missing something? how can you watch this at home?
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:44 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:36 am Watched this last night at home. What a great movie. Rami Malek should be in the running for an Oscar for playing Freddie Mercury. Damn near flawless.
am i missing something? how can you watch this at home?
Fire stick app called Morph
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

27 years ago today Freddie passed away. One of thee best frontman ever if not the best.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:28 am 27 years ago today Freddie passed away. One of thee best frontman ever if not the best.
when "bohemian rhapsody" came out my best friend's older brother bought the 8 track. remember them? anyways for that summer every time we were in his car he was playing it. he'd hit that 8 track to play his favorites and i think it might have been only 3 or four songs. but i heard them all over and over and over again. you're either going to like those songs or hate them under all that repetition and fortunately for my ears i did like them. :mrgreen:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:37 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:28 am 27 years ago today Freddie passed away. One of thee best frontman ever if not the best.
when "bohemian rhapsody" came out my best friend's older brother bought the 8 track. remember them? anyways for that summer every time we were in his car he was playing it. he'd hit that 8 track to play his favorites and i think it might have been only 3 or four songs. but i heard them all over and over and over again. you're either going to like those songs or hate them under all that repetition and fortunately for my ears i did like them. :mrgreen:
I still have the 8 track :beer:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:42 am
:lol: do you still have a player and does it still play?
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:51 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:42 am

:lol: do you still have a player and does it still play?
In fact I do. When we moved into our second home back in 02’ the couple we bought it from had an old 8 track player in their storage room and asked if I wanted it. Still works to this day.
cmd24

Post by cmd24 »

Just got back from seeing it, with little cmd. Outstanding movie. Loved the Mike Meyers reference that kids won’t be driving around headbanging to Bohemian Rhapsody. Overall, I thought it was very entertaining. Little cmd absolutely loved it, and wants to get it on DVD when it comes out. I’ve got a Queen fan on my hands, now.