Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vinyl you currently own

Music forum.
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Vinyl you currently own

Post by vikesbumeout »

Going to open a vein for the froobs. At the Cabin decluttering. So here is the inventory.........most of which I owned before and bought back at twice the price. I am pulling them out in groups of 10.

1. Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle......cost me $2.99 according to the sticker
2. AeroSmith - Toys In the Attic .........also $2.99........cut my teeth on this one in HS
3.The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 1964 - 1971.......a classic........but rarely listen to any more but kids love it
4. Chicago Transit Authority - Top 5 for me........"Im a Man"
5 Jackson Browne - Running on Empty - Solid Album........College time
6. Dave Mason - At his Best - More Dave albums to list later........love his music
7. Elvin Bishop - Struttin My Stuff - This guy was a super hot country rock cross over. Love his music
8. Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick..........an awesome rock documentary really..........best consumed with lots and lots of herb
9. Montrose - what can you say except...........Bad Motor Scooter
10. Daryl Hall/John Oates Abandoned Luncheonette - I still listen to this music in the morning with coffee at the Cabin.

Well that is the first 10...........about 2 more groups to go.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
vikesbumeout

Re: Vinyl you currently own

Post by vikesbumeout »

11. Sea Level - A Carribean Jazz fusion - Shake a Leg
12. Lamont Cranston Band - Shakedown Street..........untold stories of private concerts at ISU in 70s.......sworn to secrecy
13, Crosby Stills Nash AND Young - Deja Vu................well just so many classics there........its an entire meal
14. The Who - Who are YOU...........as in who the fuck are YOU?!
15. Dave Mason - Mariposa de Oro... Dont it make you wonder
16. Steely Dan - Katy Lied........I had to bury the Dan down the list because I probably bought every album and song they ever created.
17. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.........top 5......this guy sees the world much different than most of us.
18. Steppenwolf -At your Birthday Party ......Me as a junior high kid trying to understand what my older brother and friends were into
19. Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal....Top ONE or TWO.....Anthony Bourdain got it.........but also fell into the torment. A REAL CLASSIC
20 Stuff - This ones for you
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
vikesbumeout

Post by vikesbumeout »

21. Little River Band - First Under the Wire...lonesome loser. They played at ISU in 70s with strippers dancing.....it was weird, unusual, & arrousing
22. Jackson Browne - For Everyman.......Take It Easy..............makes me sit back, relax, take inventory
23. U2 - The Unforgetable Fire............Effing Kids snuck that in for $5.99 thinking they were contributing..........Damn it!
24. Eagles - The Long Run............well you know every once in a while.........I liked them better when Walsh joined
25. Eric Clapton - Backless ..........now we are back on track.........Watch out for Luch......Tulsa Time
26. Stevie Wonder - Talking Book......Sunshine of my Life........Superstition......sometimes those extra senses pay off
27. Steve Winwood - Arc of a Diver......played with Traffic........Icon
28. Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy - Top 5.........Bodhisattvo......Show Biz kids.........musical orgasms really
29 David Sanborn Band - Morning Salsa.........this guy has such a rich and hidden musical history.......under belly of the greats.
30. The Allen Parsons Project - I Robot...............Fricken Laser Beams!
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

vikesbumeout wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:22 pm Going to open a vein for the froobs. At the Cabin decluttering. So here is the inventory.........most of which I owned before and bought back at twice the price. I am pulling them out in groups of 10.

1. Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle......cost me $2.99 according to the sticker
2. AeroSmith - Toys In the Attic .........also $2.99........cut my teeth on this one in HS
3.The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 1964 - 1971.......a classic........but rarely listen to any more but kids love it
6. Dave Mason - At his Best - More Dave albums to list later........love his music
7. Elvin Bishop - Struttin My Stuff - This guy was a super hot country rock cross over. Love his music
8. Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick..........an awesome rock documentary really..........best consumed with lots and lots of herb
10. Daryl Hall/John Oates Abandoned Luncheonette - I still listen to this music in the morning with coffee at the Cabin.

Elvin Bishop made a couple great records back in the '70s and is still making good blues stuff. he started out as a blues guitarist (like Boz Scaggs and Steve Miller did), so his stuff it cooler than "country rock"
vikesbumeout

Post by vikesbumeout »

Down the home stretch

31. Jackson Browne - Lawyers in Love....Solid
32. Steppenwolf - 16 Greatest Hits......Born to be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride, Hey Lawdy Mama........classics
33. Kansas - Leftoverture............Carry On ........blasting through every Freshman dorm room in the day
34. Boston - Boston.........ha ha......bought for $0.99..........blasted even MORE through dorm halls in the day......experimenting with basement tapes
35. Best of Joe Walsh - The Best of Joe Walsh............turn to Stone.................and pass the bowl
36. Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4...........a classic before they sold out
37. Best of Chuck Berry - Classic
38. Chuck Mangione - .........I honestly have no fucking idea why this is here..............Damn kids
39. Grover Washington - Winelight ......let it flow
40. Grover Washington - Mister Magic........Mister Magic..........always went down well with the herb and conversation

Next up the strays
vikesbumeout

Post by vikesbumeout »

41. Lou Reed - Sally Cant Dance -
42. Charlie Daniels - fire on the mountain......leave this long haired country boy alone
43........Last and certainly not least,.........Steely Dan Gold........Hey Nineteen, Green Earrnings, FM, Black Cow........etc

If the apocalypse happens tomorrow I m well stocked
vikesbumeout

Post by vikesbumeout »

this thread is for vinyl you own by the groove.
vikesbumeout

Post by vikesbumeout »

realjazzguy wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:11 pm
vikesbumeout wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:22 pm Going to open a vein for the froobs. At the Cabin decluttering. So here is the inventory.........most of which I owned before and bought back at twice the price. I am pulling them out in groups of 10.

Elvin Bishop made a couple great records back in the '70s and is still making good blues stuff. he started out as a blues guitarist (like Boz Scaggs and Steve Miller did), so his stuff it cooler than "country rock"
I enjoy his music..........fish fish fishing.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

I own a shitload.
vikesbumeout

Post by vikesbumeout »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:39 pm I own a shitload.
lay it on us.............I love the vinyl.

it tells a story vs sound bites
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

vikesbumeout wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:37 pm
:shrug: That's the vinyl I own
vikesbumeout

Post by vikesbumeout »

Dan33185 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:01 pm
vikesbumeout wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:37 pm
:shrug: That's the vinyl I own
nice
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I own a near-mint first edition copy of "Aenima" by Tool. When it came out ('95 or '96), I wasn't really into vinyl, but I was into Tool. I did have a record player and Tool released that record a week or two before they released it on CD. So I got it on vinyl. I listened to it a couple times and then bought the CD a week or whatever later. I never played the record again, but I kept it in really good shape.

20+ years later I come to find it's worth around $400!

I also have a picture disc single of "Sober" from the previous album that was given away with the "Aenima" purchase back then. That's worth about $50.

So that's kinda neat.

I also have a first-run edition of "The Bends" by Radiohead that I got autographed in person by the band at a show at First Ave in the mid-90s. I checked on eBay and there is one listed for $2K!

So that's kinda neat too.

I got into collecting vinyl about 3 years ago and have about 200 in my collection now. Mostly classic rock (stones, Zepplin, Dylan, Bowie, etc.) and metal. I go for mostly special editions with cool extra art or color or picture discs. I'm not generally looking for vintage stuff. But if I find something in that vein, I'll snatch it up. I have a decent vintage "Let it Bleed" from the 'Stones, for example.

It's a fun hobby.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

The only vinyl I currently own still in great shape is Thin Lizzy's Bad Reputation album. Bought at a second hand store for $2.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

I have about 500 pounds of records. Started collecting pretty heavily in the mid-nineties. I'm to the point where the records I want are rare and super expensive so I don't bother looking. (Danzig-Lucifuge is an example.)
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Qman65 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:24 am The only vinyl I currently own still in great shape is Thin Lizzy's Bad Reputation album. Bought at a second hand store for $2.
I listen to Jailbreak quite a bit. :thumbsup:

Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
realjazzguy

Post by realjazzguy »

the weirdest 2 LPs I have feature Tammi Faye Bakker vocals
and Hasil Atkins, the wild man of the Ozarks
Bull

Post by Bull »

I just picked up Sgt Peppers for $4. The sleeve isn't in the greatest condition but the vinyl is clean with no scratches or skips.It also has the cutouts still in tact and in excellent condition.
mlhouse wrote: Rudy Guiliani is an American hero.
mlhouse wrote: I am a bleeding heart liberal.
mlhouse wrote: Donald Trump was teh most successful one term President in the history of the United States.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Over 300 so not going to list
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Does anyone have a record player that works? :lol:
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

I just picked up a used "Billion Dollar Babies" and "Traveling Wilburys" at Mill City in Hopkins to add to my collection.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Qman65 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:21 am Does anyone have a record player that works? :lol:
Of course. My record player has a USB out so I burn my albums to digital. The best of both worlds—listen to vinyl at home and can still listen to it wherever else I go. My wife has great taste in music so our collection is always growing. She likes prog and psychedelic rock. Coolest chick ever, I swear.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

thinktank wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 pm
Qman65 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:21 am Does anyone have a record player that works? :lol:
Of course. My record player has a USB out so I burn my albums to digital. The best of both worlds—listen to vinyl at home and can still listen to it wherever else I go. My wife has great taste in music so our collection is always growing. She likes prog and psychedelic rock. Coolest chick ever, I swear.
So you're an old fossil like me.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Qman65 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:28 am
thinktank wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:46 pm
So you're an old fossil like me.
I’m 40. My wife is 29. We like a lot of music but especially stuff before about 82/83.
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

You guys have any turntable recommendations?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm old, worked at music stores and radio stations, and haven't sold anything. still like how it sounds, plus the covers are cool. somewhere in the 2500 to 2800 vicinity, idk.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Cripes wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:19 pm You guys have any turntable recommendations?
Depends on your price point. Rega planar, music hall mmf are solid and start around 300. I'd stay away from on board pre amps and ones with USB since they put money into those features and not into the actual turntable.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

As far as actual vinyl, got about 200 or so.

Four sections in my bookshelf.
Section 1: Rock: Mostly original purchases I bought as a kid, not reissues. Van Halen, David Lee Roth, Living Color, Rush, Metallica, The Cult, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Boston, Prince, etc. I have been buying vinyl as my favorite bands have released vinyl, Stone Temple Pilots, Dream theater.

Section 2: Sister hand me down's from the 80's: Duran Duran, Men at Work, The Powerstation, The Cure, Joe Jackson, etc. I did buy some re-issue Dre and Snoop.

Section 3: Classical and R&B: Aretha, Ella and Louis, Brubeck, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, John Williams, Debussy, etc.

4: Misc: My prize possessions: Comic book and record combos. Still have various Star Wars, Superman, Spiderman, Captain America and Dracula vs. Wolfman.

These need to come back, asap.
shatminster fuller

Post by shatminster fuller »

Almost my entire vinyl collection went down to a basement closet during the transition to CDs, where they got covered with mold and eventually were thrown out. Probably around 1K. Almost all bought in late 70s to mid 80s, so either classics from earlier (e.g. Sgt Peppers, Doors, Velvet Underground and Nico) or popular during that time (REM, Smiths, Pretenders, Bruce, Prince, etc, etc). What I have is a collection of stuff from my younger siblings and parents, which I never play because I don't have a record player. I'll get one eventually. Taking the top 10 off of the stack, they are:

Men at Work - Businss as usual (younger brother liked this; I"m proud to say I hated them from the first time I heard them)
The Philadelphia Orchesta - Beethoven, Mozart, etc.
Band Concert - Mtka East Junior High
The Best of Nat King Cole
Supertramp - famous last words
Aerosmith - Greatest Hits
Santana's Greatest Hits
Yes - Fragile
The Best of Jethro Tull
Salut les Terriens!
La culture domine tout, elle est la condition sine qua non de notre civilisation…