Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Backyard game is dialed in and ready.

minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Backyard game is dialed in and ready.

Post by minnemike »

GrillGuy wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:25 pm
minnemike wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:43 pm Anything else I need?
I'm a big fan of the Pellet Smokers. I own a Traeger and through thorough analysis, there are certain things the pellet smoker is better at than the electric. For example, Ribs, wings, grilling steak/chicken. Basically, anything you want a nice crust on. My dad has an Electric (Bradley) and he's done a Whole Turkey, sausages, Pork Butt and I've loved all of those. His ribs and wings are good but don't hold a candle to the Traeger.

All in all you have a great setup and can do some serious smoking on the grill you mentioned so there is probably no need for a new toy. But if you're looking to replace the Electric I'd go with a Pellet, ease of use is about the same but the flavor/texture is a lot better, IMHO.
Yeah, the electric doesn't generate enough smoke on it's own to give a nice smoke ring, but that why I got the extra cold.smoke side unit which burns pellets/chips to feed smoke in. I'm part of a Facebook smoking group and it's got some great reviews, so thought I'd give it a go.
T_J

Post by T_J »

I wanna come to your house.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

T_J wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:47 pm I wanna come to your house.
Sure TJ, anytime!

Just look for me when you get here...
Spoiler:
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Well done Abe - you scored. IF you dont get enough smoke ring or smokey flavor, you can get what I got, the little cold smoker side attachment for jsut a few buck more. That thing also allows me to smoke cheese and fish with ease.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

I'm a big fan of the Pellet Smokers. I own a Traeger and through thorough analysis, there are certain things the pellet smoker is better at than the electric. For example, Ribs, wings, grilling steak/chicken. Basically, anything you want a nice crust on. My dad has an Electric (Bradley) and he's done a Whole Turkey, sausages, Pork Butt and I've loved all of those. His ribs and wings are good but don't hold a candle to the Traeger.

All in all you have a great setup and can do some serious smoking on the grill you mentioned so there is probably no need for a new toy. But if you're looking to replace the Electric I'd go with a Pellet, ease of use is about the same but the flavor/texture is a lot better, IMHO.
I have a Memphis and I don't think they generate enough smoke. I often add chips to get additional flavor.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I'm just itching to put the rain gauge out. Wait to you froobs get a look at some of my readings.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Oh Canada wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:18 am
minnemike wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:13 am
Oh Canada wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:12 am I don't have any of those things. Does one really need an outdoor pizza oven?
How much do you like pizza?
Everyone loves pizza, myself included. Can you make a pizza on a grill? Or is that thing worth the money because it makes the best pizza ever? Also, how often do you use it?
I assume a pizza stone would work on a grill.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Everyone loves pizza, myself included. Can you make a pizza on a grill? Or is that thing worth the money because it makes the best pizza ever? Also, how often do you use it?
Talk to sellingguy about properly seasoning your pizza stone.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
tbgh

Post by tbgh »

Dr. Linux wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:47 am I was expecting a Kuub court

Hey! I've got one of those.
Last edited by tbgh on Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Put 'er in the ole vise.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Absolutely. If you want the char taste/texture, slide it off the stone after a minute or two.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

tbgh wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:27 pm

I've only played a few times on grass ( no pun intended, i'm always on the grass ) but I've played Ice fishing waiting on tip ups and it's quite a fun game.
-

Got Root?
anthony

Post by anthony »

I bought one of these and it works pretty slick. Gets up to 900 degrees.

http://i.pinimg.com/736x/aa/b1/13/aab11 ... 4e52d0.jpg

For some reason I can't post images :cry:
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

wtf anthony
-

Got Root?
anthony

Post by anthony »

Dr. Linux wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:53 pm wtf anthony
where's the foto? I know, Right?!?!
tbgh

Post by tbgh »

Dr. Linux wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:50 pm
tbgh wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:27 pm

I've only played a few times on grass ( no pun intended, i'm always on the grass ) but I've played Ice fishing waiting on tip ups and it's quite a fun game.
Indeed.
Put 'er in the ole vise.
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

minnemike wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:16 am
vikesbumeout wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:17 am
minnemike wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:14 am

The oven seems like it can last forever, so the return on investment is limitless! I would also calculate the benefit of being able to stay home in great weather on my deck and enjoy easy to make wood fired pizzas and make them endlessly. This one is much cheaper than those giant brick/stone type things. It's also portable for picnics and camping. Not bad for $300.
That is awesome!

Sounds like all the excuses I made when buying my expensive Weber gas grill........that now sits unused next to my $99 Original Weber kettle.....and bag of hardwood lump charcoal.
So you don't BBQ at all now? Too much work?

The electric smoker is going to be ridiculously easy. I can just turn it on, set the temp, load the wood chips into the chamber and forget about it for 6+ hrs and then just check the remote meat thermometer to see if it's done.
Yes I still BBQ. I just do it in real hardwood charcoal because I find it awesome.

My thing. Your thing is cool too.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Cjlax

Post by Cjlax »

feekdogg wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:32 am All that's in my backyard is dog turds.
But at least there's lots of it!
Will make a fine poop soup as the snow melts too :hair:
GrillGuy

Post by GrillGuy »

Ask Not wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:17 pm

I have a Memphis and I don't think they generate enough smoke. I often add chips to get additional flavor.
Damn dude those aren't cheap either! I'm sure it's nice but it should be producing a ton of smoke, right? Maybe the heating element could be malfunctioning? Or your pellets could have gotten wet somehow? I think the moisture, even after drying out, ruins the pellets so they won't burn correctly.

I have the Traeger Jr. Elite and the smoke comes billowing out after about 10 minutes. About once every few months I take off the grate and catch pan and vacuum out all the old pellets and debris. That seems to help quite a bit.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Real charcoal barrel smoker is the only way to go. If it plugs in or has gas attached to it, send your wife out to do the cooking.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Sellingguy wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:45 am Real charcoal barrel smoker is the only way to go. If it plugs in or has gas attached to it, send your wife out to do the cooking.
:lol: That's our SG!
Ketchup can be nuancy
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

vikesbumeout wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:30 pm
vikesbumeout wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:17 am

That is awesome!

Sounds like all the excuses I made when buying my expensive Weber gas grill........that now sits unused next to my $99 Original Weber kettle.....and bag of hardwood lump charcoal.

The electric smoker is going to be ridiculously easy. I can just turn it on, set the temp, load the wood chips into the chamber and forget about it for 6+ hrs and then just check the remote meat thermometer to see if it's done.
Yes I still BBQ. I just do it in real hardwood charcoal because I find it awesome.

I do that as well, for chicken and steaks and whatnot. Smoker is just for ribs, brisket and anything that needs low and super slow. Way less work for as good or better results.

I do have these also which helps for camping too:

Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Ask Not wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:42 am
Sellingguy wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:45 am Real charcoal barrel smoker is the only way to go. If it plugs in or has gas attached to it, send your wife out to do the cooking.
:lol: That's our SG!
Look at the comments. Heating elements and vacuuming. Figures out cleaning old stuff out helps! WTF!

I bought 2 grills in the last 4 years. replaced the 20 year old barrel with a new one with offset box and picked up a full size weber
Both on Craiglist for $100.00 total. The smoker sells for $600.00. Its a heavy duty one. guy used it once, never even fired the thing to 700 to season it.
The Weber is older based on the wooden handle. Guy said he used it for 2 parties several years ago.
Picked up a cool old base cabinet with marble top as my work station $40.00 at goodwill. The marble slab is worth double that.
Keeping a eye out for a cool old metal cart to replace it. Just waiting for Walmart to put the coal on sale and take advantage of their free delivery!
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

minnemike wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:05 am
vikesbumeout wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:30 pm

I do that as well, for chicken and steaks and whatnot. Smoker is just for ribs, brisket and anything that needs low and super slow. Way less work for as good or better results.

I do have these also which helps for camping too:

I got a tour of a 60+ year old smoker in Texas. Guy said it was finally broken in.

I seal my ribs in foil and put in oven at 150 for atleast 2-3 hours and then finish on a grill. easy peasey.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

vikesbumeout wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:16 am

I seal my ribs in foil and put in oven at 150 for atleast 2-3 hours and then finish on a grill. easy peasey.
Uh oh... don't let selling guy see this post. I would delete it right away. Get ready for extreme savaging!
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

It's a lesser product if you bake 'em first, but not the worst thing ever. I would not do that personally.
-

Got Root?
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

It was $300 - started as a crowd funding thing.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Havent used mine yet - been waiting for warm weather, but a buddy saw what I got and got one himself which we have used several times already at his place. They work awesome.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Noice