Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Pork shoulder recipe brainstorming thread

Cobey
Trouble

Pork shoulder recipe brainstorming thread

Post by Cobey »

Smoking a shoulder on Saturday, I have brothers coming over to help me move some things and just generally knock out some items on my "to-do" list
Given the audience, I'm probably looking for the spicy/savory side of things over sweet
Here's my thinking for the ingredients

Probably 9-10 lb shoulder, depending on what I find at Coborns
Smear the thing with peanut butter before the rub

Rub:
Salt - 2 part
Black Pepper - 2 part
Paprika - 2 part
Chili powder - 1 part
Garlic Powder - 1 part (maybe less)
Onion Powder - 1 part (maybe less)
Cayenne - half to full part

Any ideas for what I could add besides cayenne to add spice to it?
Self High-Five

Re: Pork shoulder recipe brainstorming thread

Post by Self High-Five »

You could use smoked paprika instead of regular paprika
Chipotle chili powder instead of chili powder
Add cumin and dry mustard
I'd still add dark brown sugar to it
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

I mixed up a trial batch for pork chops a few days ago and grilled them. It was pretty similar to the above, but kinda "eyeballed" the measurements with a honey glaze to allow the rub to stick. I applied the rub about 3-5 minutes before throwing them on the grill, so that may change the flavor profile a bit, along with the different cut of meat (shoulder roast vs boneless butterfly chops)

That being said, too much salt, too much garlic. I think I'm just gonna wing it, still on the fence about the peanut butter thing though. I feel like it would just melt and make a mess rather than do anything to the meat.

I'm buying and prepping the meat tonight, smoking starts early morning.
Verle

Post by Verle »

There are people that rub the pork with prepared mustard before they apply the dry rub. I have not tried this method.
You hate to fuck up 8 or 9 lbs of pork butt. The people that use this method claim it is really good. The next time I get a good price on pork butts ($1.20-$1.50) I will try this method and report back.
Retreat but never cower
Hey good lookin' we'll be back to pick you up later!
I like to get out and dance, and just take over the nightclub. T.J.
Slaying quality Anoka puss on the reg.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Verle wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:25 pm There are people that rub the pork with prepared mustard before they apply the dry rub. I have not tried this method.
You hate to fuck up 8 or 9 lbs of pork butt. The people that use this method claim it is really good. The next time I get a good price on pork butts ($1.20-$1.50) I will try this method and report back.
That's what I ended up doing yesterday, just a plain yellow mustard. It doesn't really add much in terms of flavor, but helps the rub to stick to the meat better, I think.
Verle

Post by Verle »

Good to know :thumbsup:
Retreat but never cower
Hey good lookin' we'll be back to pick you up later!
I like to get out and dance, and just take over the nightclub. T.J.
Slaying quality Anoka puss on the reg.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Self High-Five wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:56 pm You could use smoked paprika instead of regular paprika
Chipotle chili powder instead of chili powder
Add cumin and dry mustard
I'd still add dark brown sugar to it
Big ups to you on the cumin suggestion, btw.

That added so much to the flavor. :thumbsup: