Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Smoking 2 hams this weekend

Cobey
Trouble

Smoking 2 hams this weekend

Post by Cobey »

I have been tasked with smoking 2 hams for a large family get-together.

I used a maple syrup based recipe that I found online for Christmas that turned out really well. So I'm going to be doing one of the hams like that. I want to get a little more experimental with ham #2. I have a pork rub that I have mixed up in the past that I like. If I do a little scoring on the outside, do you think I would be able to use it for ham? Or would the salt dry the ham out too much?
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Re: Smoking 2 hams this weekend

Post by Sellingguy »

ham needs no salt added to it.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Sellingguy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 am ham needs no salt added to it.
Kind of what I'm thinking too. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, maybe some brown sugar and maybe some cayenne pepper for a dry rub, maybe a honey glaze underneath, for some sweet and spicy
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

So a double smoked or did you cure that bitch yourself?
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

How did it turn out?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 am How did it turn out?
I was pretty happy with both of them.

For the "experimental" ham, I basically used my typical pork rub as a base (minus the salt). Going off memory, it was equal parts black pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder, added about a half part of cayenne and mustard powder. I don't remember if I did chili powder in this rub. I then made a paste with a small bowl full of honey and a few spoonfuls of the rub. I smeared the paste all over the ham after scoring it with a knife, added another layer of the dry rub and let it sit for a few hours. Smoked it for probably 5-6 hours with a cherry and hickory 50/50 mix at 225-250.

It came out a little more like a barbeque sauce flavor once it cooked...the onion and garlic flavors really pushed through more than anything on the outside pieces. So If I did this again, I'd probably cut those by about 2/3..maybe up the cayenne or find another way to add some spicy flavoring to it.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I smoked a fresh raw ham from my cousin's pig farm in Hugo. Turned out very well
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine