Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Beef Jerky

Self High-Five

Beef Jerky

Post by Self High-Five »

Going to smoke some up this weekend. This will be my first time. Any good recipes? I've found two that I'll try.
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Cobey
Trouble

Re: Beef Jerky

Post by Cobey »

Self High-Five wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:25 am Going to smoke some up this weekend. This will be my first time. Any good recipes? I've found two that I'll try.
How'd it go? I've never done jerky, but I'm definitely interested in trying
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Cobey wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:48 pm
Self High-Five wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:25 am Going to smoke some up this weekend. This will be my first time. Any good recipes? I've found two that I'll try.
How'd it go? I've never done jerky, but I'm definitely interested in trying
It went great! I tried different times and cut thickness.

1/8" cut, lengthwise, eye round roast, 3 lbs. Smoked at 180 for 2 1/2 hours. I used cherry wood.

2 cups of Dr. Pepper
3 Jalapenos (sliced)
4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon worcestershire
2 teaspoons ground pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Reduce all ingredients to 1 cup and marinate overnight.

This weekend I'm going to play around with the ingredients. The jalapeno gives a nice long subtle heat.
The neighbors really enjoyed it, so that's a plus.
Last edited by Self High-Five on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

i have tried every cut of meat, i have done jerky on the smoker, the oven and the dehydrator. Dehydrator works best.
I also have found that using 90% ground beef and a jerky gun is the best. jerky is tender as it is just pressed meat.
Flavor is more consistent
I buy a jerky kit, use the salt, some of the seasoning and then add my own stuff to it. no reciepe, just a shot of a few things like mustard, liq smoke, a-1, franks red hot, etc.
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Had the butcher slice up 10lbs of eye round for this nice weekend!

:beer:
laX

Post by laX »

love beef jerkey - i make it from ground meat - flattened between 2 yardsticks. perfect every time
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
Jgrimmz

Post by Jgrimmz »

Never done beef jerky but I do frequently make venison jerky. I’ll make a large batch and bring some into work. Most can’t tell it’s not beef. The key is to control the temp and smoke and let it dry slowly to allow for added tenderness
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Have some smoking right now. Also, smoking some armadillo eggs (jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in ground pork and wrapped with bacon)
Lesueurcountyguy

Post by Lesueurcountyguy »

Self High-Five wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:05 am Have some smoking right now. Also, smoking some armadillo eggs (jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in ground pork and wrapped with bacon)
Sounds amazing.
I like a tight beat