Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Got a smoker, help needed..

Porridge

Re: Got a smoker, help needed..

Post by Porridge »

It’s all in the hips!
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:38 pm Tomorrow I'm going to to the 3-2-1 method for smoking my ribs, any recommendations for the dry rub, or what I should pt in for the liquid?
This is my go to rub. I'll mix it up with measurements, depending how sweet and/or hot I want it.

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons paprika (smoked)
2 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

You all weren't lying.. I'm not a fan of ribs, but I've never had anything like this!! I did the 3-2-1 method, with a dry rub of Chili powder, Red pepper flakes, brown sugar, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. For the 2 moisture, I did half a tall boy of Coors light, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, a little bit of honey and sriracha. I used Mesquite wood chips. Everything went well, besides at the beginning a little drippings came out by the front foot instead out back in the drip pan, I upped the front foot to make it level and it worked great.

Thanks to the froob that recommend to keep the water half full. After 3 hours it was bone dry.

Up next be a pork butt, probably on new years eve. Any suggestions for the pork butt?
Last edited by Rusty Kuntz on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:01 am I'd go to BBQ and smoked meat chat to figure this out.
Ain't nobody going to this forum.. :beer:
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Jgrimmz wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:59 am You don’t like ribs because most restaurants and average joes suck at cooking them. Try them at least once in the smoker and you’ll be hooked. I have probly that same exact smoker and it’s amazing for the convenience and consistency compared to other smoker types. I’m doing a turkey in it today! Biggest keys in my opinion are to always have some liquid in the drip pan inside the smoker and always use a good quality rub or brine.
I started with a Boston butt and would recommend doing the same as pork is pretty forgiving. Start by only adding wood chips at the beginning. See how Smokey it turns out and add or subtract more chips the next time. Go easy on the mesquite and hickory as they can be overpowering. Once you understand the basics, there are many other more intricate methods to discuss.
Have fun!
How was the Turkey? My ribs were fantastic! One of the best things I've ever made! :beer:

And thanks for the liquid tip. :beer:
Jgrimmz

Post by Jgrimmz »

Turkey turned out incredibly well considering it was my first time smoking one start to finish. Ended up being about an 8 hour smoke for a 15lb bird and it was cooked perfectly to 165 yet still moist with just a hint of smoke, which is what the crowd wanted. My secret is to use nutmeg and a pinch of cinnamon for the rub and apple juice in the drip tray. I also wet brined it for about 15 hours. I would’ve injected it, but forgot to bring the injector with me to my parents house. I smoked it over pecan with about 5 chips of mesquite.

Happy to hear the ribs turned out well!

I’d suggest rubbing the Boston butt with yellow mustard and following with a dry rub similar to the same rub you put on the ribs. The mustard keeps the meat moist and helps the rub stick. My secret is to inject with apple juice mixed with apple cider vinegar and garlic. Brown sugar on the outside makes a delicious crust.

Enjoy the adventure with new types of food, it’s pretty addicting
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Just got mine seasoned tonight.

Have a Boston Butt marinading in the fridge. Will start smoking at 7 a.m. Can't wait.
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Vulcan Vidiot wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 pm Just got mine seasoned tonight.

Have a Boston Butt marinading in the fridge. Will start smoking at 7 a.m. Can't wait.
How did it turn out?
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Self High-Five wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:23 pm

How did it turn out?
Turned out great, but it took 15 hours. I had planned for a 10 to 12 hour cook, so the wife and kids didn't get any BBQ that night.

Overall, I had a blast and it turned out perfect. I just wish I'd chosen a smaller pieces of meat or a different cut of meat for my first outing. Good thing pulled pork is still good the next day. I was able to bring a few pounds over to my parents.
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Vulcan Vidiot wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:49 pm

How did it turn out?
Turned out great, but it took 15 hours. I had planned for a 10 to 12 hour cook, so the wife and kids didn't get any BBQ that night.

Overall, I had a blast and it turned out perfect. I just wish I'd chosen a smaller pieces of meat or a different cut of meat for my first outing. Good thing pulled pork is still good the next day. I was able to bring a few pounds over to my parents.
What size Boston did you get?

I've found out the smaller cuts of meat, actually take a lot longer to cook.
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Self High-Five wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:58 pm

How did it turn out?

I had read it could take two hours per pound, and had read multiple articles saying 10 hours for 7-8 pound cut.

1st time using the smoker, and the internal readings may had been off a bit due to the weather.

I'm smoking ribs on Friday, and don't think I'll have anymore mistakes. I'm going to hang a thermometer in the smoker to check the smokers readings, and see where the hot spots are. I should be able to dial in the heat, as long as the highs are in the 30's.

Any suggestions for cold temp smoking? Other than turning the temps up in the smoker and blocking wind, I've got nothing.
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Vulcan Vidiot wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:16 pm
Self High-Five wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:58 pm

I had read it could take two hours per pound, and had read multiple articles saying 10 hours for 7-8 pound cut.

1st time using the smoker, and the internal readings may had been off a bit due to the weather.

I'm smoking ribs on Friday, and don't think I'll have anymore mistakes. I'm going to hang a thermometer in the smoker to check the smokers readings, and see where the hot spots are. I should be able to dial in the heat, as long as the highs are in the 30's.

Any suggestions for cold temp smoking? Other than turning the temps up in the smoker and blocking wind, I've got nothing.
The lowest setting on mine is 180. I'm going to smoke some cheese over the weekend, but won't have the heat going. I bought some smoke tubes for that.

At 225, roughly 2 hours a pound. Each meat (no homo) is different. My smoker holds really good in the cold temps.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Slow mo. Takes time to get it tender. :thumbsup:
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
anthony

Post by anthony »

anybody ever smoke a chuck roast? It's cooking time and method is similar to a pork butt, but the taste is like a brisket at half the cost. delish.

I don't have a fancy setup, I just use a weber kettle.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

anthony wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:48 am anybody ever smoke a chuck roast? It's cooking time and method is similar to a pork butt, but the taste is like a brisket at half the cost. delish.

i smoked some steak the other day on the kettle
anthony

Post by anthony »

Sellingguy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:15 am
anthony wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:48 am anybody ever smoke a chuck roast? It's cooking time and method is similar to a pork butt, but the taste is like a brisket at half the cost. delish.

I've never smoked a steak before, only roasts.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

anthony wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:22 am

I throw some wood on from time to time for a different flavor. It is not a long smoke time, just enough for some flavor.
Did burgers last week. Put them off to the side, threw some wood on the coals and closed up the grill. Let them sit in there for about 20 minutes. Then opened up grill and put them right over the fire for a few minutes on each side.
anthony

Post by anthony »

Sellingguy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:30 am

I throw some wood on from time to time for a different flavor. It is not a long smoke time, just enough for some flavor.
Did burgers last week. Put them off to the side, threw some wood on the coals and closed up the grill. Let them sit in there for about 20 minutes. Then opened up grill and put them right over the fire for a few minutes on each side.
If you like wood fired pizza get yourself one of these for your webber kettle. They are a little overpriced and there are a bunch of different models out there but it's a fun addition.

Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

you dont need that, just put your stone in.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Sellingguy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am you dont need that, just put your stone in.
Need a good cover though.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Herky wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:23 am
Sellingguy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am you dont need that, just put your stone in.
Need a good cover though.
i watched a guy do a pizza with no cover. his stone temp was 600 degrees. pizza was done in 5 minutes.
but, who does not have a cover for their grill?
The real key to good pizza on the grill is the stone. Im sure there are some good ones out there, the one from pampered chef has always done well for me. Someone got me a cheap one from target. Used it once and threw it away. Looked at the box afterwards and it said, do not use over 400 degrees?? Im likeWTF.
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

The only way I'll cook steaks at home. Reverse sear. Cook at 225, usually takes around 45 minutes, depending on the thickness. Iternal temp 120- 125. Take off and sear each side for two minutes. You'll get that nice wood fire grill taste in the steak.