Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Got a smoker, help needed..

Rusty Kuntz

Got a smoker, help needed..

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Hey froobs, your old pal Rusty here. I got a new electric smoker for Christmas, actually a Masterbuilt 30 in smoker :beer: I have zero experience with smoking meats, and would appreciate any recommendations.. I got some hickory, mesquite, and a premium blend chips. What would you recommend for my first attempt? I dont like ribs.. Thanks for any tips, tricks and recipes :beer:
Mr Bill

Re: Got a smoker, help needed..

Post by Mr Bill »

Sam’s Club or Walmart, get a Boston butt or picnic shoulder. (Pork). They will be approx 6-8lb... do a simple rub of salt pepper garlic powder, smoked paprika. Smoke until an internal temp of 200-205F. You will need a meat thermometer... something simple or fancy. Expect 8 hours of cooking time. Let it sit for 45 minutes and then shred it. Extremely hard to mess up and super good.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Put your dink in it.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Lazlo

Post by Lazlo »

Give her a couple 7&7's and a pack of parliaments and see where it goes from there.
snore

Post by snore »

You need to season your smoker first before you cook in earnest. Something with a lot of fat. Also I would recommend I perusing the smoking meats forum for pointers. Not that you u won’t get good info here but you will get a broader spectrum of input on a site devoted specially to smoking meat vs a bunch of tards arguing about why wiggins and cousins got paid too much, thibs is a bad coach and the plethora of lame ass weather threads.

The following thread will get you started as far as seasoning. Peruse the forum for great ideas and pics of things to smoke.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threa ... ker.84156/

After seasoning your smoker, a pork butt is a great idea per Mr Bill. Next I would do some whole chickens and go from there.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Do a turkey
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

As anther said, season the smoker first. And fire that thing up to has hot as you can get it too.
I have always used a bunch of cheap meat. Pork steak, what ever is on sale because you are not going to eat it.

I would fire it hot first, then throw the meat in with heavy seasoning and smoke the shit out of it.
Jgrimmz

Post by Jgrimmz »

You don’t like ribs because most restaurants and average joes suck at cooking them. Try them at least once in the smoker and you’ll be hooked. I have probly that same exact smoker and it’s amazing for the convenience and consistency compared to other smoker types. I’m doing a turkey in it today! Biggest keys in my opinion are to always have some liquid in the drip pan inside the smoker and always use a good quality rub or brine.
I started with a Boston butt and would recommend doing the same as pork is pretty forgiving. Start by only adding wood chips at the beginning. See how Smokey it turns out and add or subtract more chips the next time. Go easy on the mesquite and hickory as they can be overpowering. Once you understand the basics, there are many other more intricate methods to discuss.
Have fun!
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Easiest to start out with is either chicken leg quarters or thick cut porkchops = manageable sized cuts that will smoke all the way thru fairly quickly.
Gork

Post by Gork »

Smokers usually need a rebore, piston with rings and a valve job.
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

Gork wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:00 pm Smokers usually need a rebore, piston with rings and a valve job.
and don't forget the ball bearings need to be changed/cleaned every 6 uses.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

RALPH MALPH wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:42 am
Gork wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:00 pm Smokers usually need a rebore, piston with rings and a valve job.
Yep, the worst part about having a smoker is the need to clean it with bleach after every smoke and disassembling and cleaning the flanges and sprockets every third smoke.

Other than that, it's tits. :thumbsup:
Ketchup can be nuancy
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Prestone or Quaker State?
RALPH MALPH

Post by RALPH MALPH »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:58 am
Prestone or Quaker State?
Prestone.....no make that Quaker State
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Just got one as well. I didn't realize you need to season it first. I'll be doing that later tonight, and hopefully doing a Boston Butt tomorrow.
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Vulcan Vidiot wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:38 am Just got one as well. I didn't realize you need to season it first. I'll be doing that later tonight, and hopefully doing a Boston Butt tomorrow.
standard practice for any grill, even outdoor stoves. fire it as hot as possible then throw a well seasoned piece of meat that you wont eat in there. for smokers, lots of smoke as it cools down.
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Sellingguy wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:09 pm
Vulcan Vidiot wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:38 am Just got one as well. I didn't realize you need to season it first. I'll be doing that later tonight, and hopefully doing a Boston Butt tomorrow.
standard practice for any grill, even outdoor stoves. fire it as hot as possible then throw a well seasoned piece of meat that you wont eat in there. for smokers, lots of smoke as it cools down.
:thumbsup:

Sounds good!

Thanks for the info!
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

you can throw in some whole garlic and a pan of seasoned water as it cools as well.
burn off the oils that are still on it from manufacturing and give it some flavor.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Seasoning mine right now :beer:

Ribs and mac & cheese tomorrow
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Have some wings & drumettes smoking for the Gopher game today. Using Pecan.

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Self High-Five wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:58 pm Have some wings & drumettes smoking for the Gopher game today. Using Pecan.

Good call on the smoked wings, going to try them Saturday, and go gophers +6!! :beer:
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Tomorrow I'm going to to the 3-2-1 method for smoking my ribs, any recommendations for the dry rub, or what I should pt in for the liquid?
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:38 pm Tomorrow I'm going to to the 3-2-1 method for smoking my ribs, any recommendations for the dry rub, or what I should pt in for the liquid?
Not a fan of the 3-2-1. Instead, wrap them loosley in butcher paper after 3 hours. They're done when they just begin to want to come apart when holding them with a tongs in the middle of the rack.

No more than 2 1/2 hours for the wings. They'll taste good no matter what, butt you lose all juiciness if you leave them on too long. I usually take mine off after 2 hours and then throw them on a hot grill for 5 minutes or so to crisp up the skin. I've also flash fried them in the deep fryer, but that's a lot of extra clean up.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:38 pm Tomorrow I'm going to to the 3-2-1 method for smoking my ribs, any recommendations for the dry rub, or what I should pt in for the liquid?
wee willies 1 and 2 for the rub.
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

My advice is return ASAP!

Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

☆☆ Update ☆☆ I'm sure you were wondering... due to the rain I opted not to smoke my meat today. Tomorrow I will be smoking ribs, Mac & Cheese and some corn. I'll let you know how it turns out. :beer:
snore

Post by snore »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:52 pm ☆☆ Update ☆☆ I'm sure you were wondering... due to the rain I opted not to smoke my meat today. Tomorrow I will be smoking ribs, Mac & Cheese and some corn. I'll let you know how it turns out. :beer:
I was gonna do a brisket today but the rain put a damper on that. Saturday will be brisket, home made mac and cheese and brussel sprouts with bacon and a balsamic reduction
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Smoking is an art that nobody masters overnight

You can pick up 3 different cuts of meat that all weight the same and all 3 will cook differently.

If you follow a fellow rube's recipe, some things to take into consideration is what type of smoker (pellet, electric, wood/off-set, etc), the quality of the meat, etc.

My best advice is to pick up a few books by the most well-known pitmasters (Aaron Franklin has a wonderful book), visit some forums, and read some recipies. Start by going step-by-step with what they say then slowly tweak things so that it meats your tastes and your smoker. For example, just because Aaron Franklin cooks at 275 for 11-12 hours on his off-sets doesn't mean that works on my Traeger. Just because a froob likes certain seasonings, brine, spritz, etc. doesn't mean you will.

Take a bit of everything from what they say and create your own process. Write it down.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:12 pm Hey froobs, your old pal Rusty here. I got a new electric smoker for Christmas, actually a Masterbuilt 30 in smoker :beer: I have zero experience with smoking meats, and would appreciate any recommendations.. I got some hickory, mesquite, and a premium blend chips. What would you recommend for my first attempt? I dont like ribs.. Thanks for any tips, tricks and recipes :beer:
Brisket,pork loin and chicken breast. Low temps 250 to 275, seasoning and time.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
ESAD

Post by ESAD »

DC is spot on. Write down your cook at first. It’s good to have notes to refer too good and bad. The better you get, minimize the amount of variables you change

The overall lesson is “it’s done when it’s done” no matter what time/temps means nothing if you chicken out and pull your brisket/ribs/pork before they are tender. No temperature probes are harmed in my cook. I have a thermopen that serves as a glorified skewer stick for feeling.
For reference tho....
Chicken thighs 195-200
Pork MM 198, the rest 203
Ribs 205-207
Brisket 210/213
You don’t know how many briskets I ruined before realizing how the meat releases when done
January 9th, 1989. The day the hand got hot