Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Pellets

Self High-Five

Pellets

Post by Self High-Five »

So what are your go to pellets?

Apple/Cherry for pork
Pecan for fish and poultry
Competition Blend (Hickory-Cherry-Maple) for beef

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Jgrimmz

Re: Pellets

Post by Jgrimmz »

I use chips, but my go to’s are apple, pecan, hickory, and jack daniels.

Maple is a good idea, might have to go to the in-laws and harvest one of their trees
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Jgrimmz wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:15 pm I use chips, but my go to’s are apple, pecan, hickory, and jack daniels.

Maple is a good idea, might have to go to the in-laws and harvest one of their trees
I've been a big fan of pecan of late. Is the Jack Daniels mixed with anything?
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Jgrimmz

Post by Jgrimmz »

I too like pecan for the (I’d call it) clean smoke flavor that is pretty light. The jack daniels chips are made from used aging barrels at their facility. Basically, hickory/oak chips infused with whiskey. I typically mix with apple, great on chicken and pork!
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 am So, my neighbor's apple tree blew over last summer, and she still hasn't cleaned up the mess. It's not a crab apple tree, but not a super sweet red apple either. Kinda a greenish red swirl thing going on with it. Think the wood would be alright for smoking if I go chop a few limbs off and let them dry out for a year or so?
Yep. My neighbor cuts a limb off his apple tree every year. Good flavor. A competition BBQer I talked to last fall uses plum from his backyard in his mix. He swears it's what sets his flavor apart.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Self High-Five wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:51 pm So what are your go to pellets?

Apple/Cherry for pork

Other than something strong like hickory, I don't think the pellet wood makes a lot of difference. I love my pellet smoker/grill, but when I want solid smoke flavor I add chips.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:05 pm
Nancy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 am So, my neighbor's apple tree blew over last summer, and she still hasn't cleaned up the mess. It's not a crab apple tree, but not a super sweet red apple either. Kinda a greenish red swirl thing going on with it. Think the wood would be alright for smoking if I go chop a few limbs off and let them dry out for a year or so?
Yep. My neighbor cuts a limb off his apple tree every year. Good flavor. A competition BBQer I talked to last fall uses plum from his backyard in his mix. He swears it's what sets his flavor apart.
Plum? I don't think I've ever seen a plum tree before. Do they grow in these parts? I mean, ND could use another tree or two. Why not a plum tree. Then I could smuggle them.
My grandparents had plum trees in their second property that they used as their own private apple orchard. It was in a small town about a mile from the South Dakota border.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:05 pm
Nancy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm
Plum? I don't think I've ever seen a plum tree before. Do they grow in these parts? I mean, ND could use another tree or two. Why not a plum tree. Then I could smuggle them.
My mom used to make plum jam from the trees in southern MN.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Ask Not wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:16 pm
Self High-Five wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:51 pm So what are your go to pellets?

Apple/Cherry for pork

Other than something strong like hickory, I don't think the pellet wood makes a lot of difference. I love my pellet smoker/grill, but when I want solid smoke flavor I add chips.
For heavy smoke, I use that for beef. The others have a light smoke taste. With the apple/cherry, I can taste the sweetness of them.