Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

meat smoking Frubes - Frubes who smoke meat

Cobey
Trouble

meat smoking Frubes - Frubes who smoke meat

Post by Cobey »

I'm gonna take a crack at a pork shoulder/boston butt in my new electric smoker, probably tomorrow, but maybe Saturday depending on when I can find one.

Any tips from the experienced? I've googled a bit, so I think I have my head wrapped around the basic idea behind what I'm doing.

And before any of you assholes suggest moving to smoked meat chat, there's about 5 posts there in total, so fuck right off.

Some questions I have to start:
Store-bought rub or mix up my own?
How long to let the meat sit in the rub/mustard coating?
How accurate is 1 hour/lb at approx. 225?
Recommendations for where to find the meat? I was gonna try to swing by Von Hanson's or a butcher shop in Rogers tonight, but open to suggestions. Not looking to drive very far for meat though.
EnLiteEndOne

Re: meat smoking Frubes - Frubes who smoke meat

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Mix your own rub.

Google pork rub to get an idea of the base spices & ingredients; secondary spices; finally unique flavors (if you want)

Trim excess fat off (more than 1/4")

coat teh thing in rub

wrap tightly in saran wrap then tin foil

put in fridge overnight.

Smoke as directed.

Ive done 2 from Coburns in the past 6 weeks and they were excellent. Cobourns has a quality meat department, especially for pork. If it were a briscut or something I would say a meat market.
Lampin'
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

if only there was a forum for these threads.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:58 am if only there was a forum for these threads.
no one goes there.

bad dog.
Lampin'
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:00 am KAPOW!!!
:thumbsup:
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:57 am Mix your own rub.

Google pork rub to get an idea of the base spices & ingredients; secondary spices; finally unique flavors (if you want)

coat teh thing in rub

put in fridge overnight.

Smoke as directed.

Ive done 2 from Coburns in the past 6 weeks and they were excellent. Cobourns has a quality meat department, especially for pork. If it were a briscut or something I would say a meat market.
Didn't think of Coborns. That's a good call...I've had nothing but good luck with their stuff.

Follow up question, I have read mixed things about whether you smoke in tin foil or not. Thoughts on that?
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

God fucking damn it Abe. I wanted replies, not abyss.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Cobey wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:03 am God fucking damn it Abe. I wanted replies, not abyss.
:lol: there's some dedicated smokers here. you'll get serious replies only in this forum. :coolio:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:06 am
weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:04 am
Cobey wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:03 am God fucking damn it Abe. I wanted replies, not abyss.
:lol: there's some dedicated smokers here. you'll get serious replies only in this forum. :coolio:
:lol: put that one on a tee for you, didn't i?
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Cobey wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:02 am

coat teh thing in rub

put in fridge overnight.

Smoke as directed.

Didn't think of Coborns. That's a good call...I've had nothing but good luck with their stuff.

Follow up question, I have read mixed things about whether you smoke in tin foil or not. Thoughts on that?

Dont smoke in tinfoil. Just wrap it and chill overnight so the rub can marinate better. The salts used in your rub will open the meat up and allow the other flavors to penetrate (no homo) better.

Smoke uncovered
Lampin'
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:09 am

coat teh thing in rub

put in fridge overnight.

Smoke as directed.

Dont smoke in tinfoil. Just wrap it and chill overnight so the rub can marinate better. The salts used in your rub will open the meat up and allow the other flavors to penetrate (no homo) better.

Smoke uncovered
Copy that. I was thinking the same thing, just wanted to verify
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Cobey wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:12 am
EnLiteEndOne wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:09 am

Smoke uncovered
Copy that. I was thinking the same thing, just wanted to verify
I used this cat's recipe as a guide for my rub. he also explains the different levels (base ingredients, secondary, etc) pretty well. don't worry too much about precise measurements and don't be afraid to make too much. You can always jar some up for next time

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/pork-rub-recipe/
Lampin'
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Cobey wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:51 am I'm gonna take a crack at a pork shoulder/boston butt in my new electric smoker, probably tomorrow, but maybe Saturday depending on when I can find one.

Any tips from the experienced? I've googled a bit, so I think I have my head wrapped around the basic idea behind what I'm doing.

And before any of you assholes suggest moving to smoked meat chat, there's about 5 posts there in total, so fuck right off.

Recommendations for where to find the meat? I was gonna try to swing by Von Hanson's or a butcher shop in Rogers tonight, but open to suggestions. Not looking to drive very far for meat though.
Make your own rub. I have a couple. One that's mild & sweet and the other is heat & sweet. If you want them, I'll share them.
I brine mine for 12 hours and inject apple bourbon into it.
Cooking time is more around 1 1/2 hours a pound, up to 2 hours a pound. Usually you'll get a meat stall (some homo) around 155 - 165 internal temp. I cook mine to internal temp around 200.

Edit: I also use a mixture of apple and cherry blend to smoke. I mix my own, 75/25 apple/cherry.
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Self High-Five wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:08 pm
Cobey wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:51 am I'm gonna take a crack at a pork shoulder/boston butt in my new electric smoker, probably tomorrow, but maybe Saturday depending on when I can find one.

Make your own rub. I have a couple. One that's mild & sweet and the other is heat & sweet. If you want them, I'll share them.
Cooking time is more around 1 1/2 hours a pound, up to 2 hours a pound. Usually you'll get a meat stall (some homo) around 155 - 165 internal temp. I cook mine to internal temp around 200.

Edit: I also use a mixture of apple and cherry blend to smoke. I mix my own, 75/25 apple/cherry.

I did a 50/50 Hickory/Apple blend when I tried it out with ribs last weekend.

What I'm reading seems to say that the rub base is basically equal parts salt, brown sugar, pepper and paprika.
And typical optional ingredients being garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder and chili powder.

Am I in the ball park at least? I'm gonna experiment to find what I like, but I'd like a good base to work off of.
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Cobey wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:22 pm
Self High-Five wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:08 pm

I did a 50/50 Hickory/Apple blend when I tried it out with ribs last weekend.

What I'm reading seems to say that the rub base is basically equal parts salt, brown sugar, pepper and paprika.
And typical optional ingredients being garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder and chili powder.

Am I in the ball park at least? I'm gonna experiment to find what I like, but I'd like a good base to work off of.
Correct on the basic parts. I use smoked paprika and cayenne instead of chili powder and paprika. Toss in the powder mustard, garlic and onion powder.

When I smoke ribs, I use hickory, maple & cherry blend. Hickory and apple is a good blend. After smoking, wrap it and place it in a cooler for an hour before pulling.

I'm actually smoking a pork butt this weekend.
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

How did it turn out?
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Self High-Five wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:20 pm

How did it turn out?
Picked up a 10 pounder at Coborn's the night before. Hardly any fat to speak of, nothing that really needed trimming. I thought I did a decent enough job with the cook, but may have kept it on a touch too long, if I'm nit-picking. I was reading +200 in some spots, and 185ish toward the middle at about hour 10 or so, I think I gave it another hour after that, and pulled it there. I like my pork to be on the dry side though, so I can't complain. 8-)

My next investment is a better thermometer, so I can check on it without opening the smoker.

For the rub, I did 1 cup salt, pepper, paprika and dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Nice and spicy, which I like. Probably could throw a bit more of the brown sugar in though. Definitely room to improve, but I have 10 lbs of meat to get through first.
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Cobey wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 pm
Self High-Five wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:20 pm

How did it turn out?
Picked up a 10 pounder at Coborn's the night before. Hardly any fat to speak of, nothing that really needed trimming. I thought I did a decent enough job with the cook, but may have kept it on a touch too long, if I'm nit-picking. I was reading +200 in some spots, and 185ish toward the middle at about hour 10 or so, I think I gave it another hour after that, and pulled it there. I like my pork to be on the dry side though, so I can't complain. 8-)

My next investment is a better thermometer, so I can check on it without opening the smoker.

For the rub, I did 1 cup salt, pepper, paprika and dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Nice and spicy, which I like. Probably could throw a bit more of the brown sugar in though. Definitely room to improve, but I have 10 lbs of meat to get through first.
definitely need a good thermometer. I did a 5 pounder on Saturday (gone as of this morning). At 10 hours, it was still at 185. I wrapped it in foil and increased the temp to 250. In an hour I got it to 205 IT.

Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:06 am
weimy froob wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:04 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
anthony

Post by anthony »

Mustard powder is highly recommended for pork butt rub.