Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Bought a $100 smoker from Fleet Farm on Friday

Cobey
Trouble

Bought a $100 smoker from Fleet Farm on Friday

Post by Cobey »

Seasoned it on Saturday, made up a couple racks of baby back ribs last night for me and smoked a small ham for the wife. As it was my first dive into smoking meat, I didn't do anything too fancy. Store-bought rub and store-bought sauce. Turned out fantastic, regardless. May have run it a touch on the hot side, I was having trouble dialing it into around 225. But I was happy with it. :thumbsup:
Cobey
Trouble

Re: Bought a $100 smoker from Fleet Farm on Friday

Post by Cobey »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:06 am
Cobey wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:57 am Seasoned it on Saturday, made up a couple racks of baby back ribs last night for me and smoked a small ham for the wife. As it was my first dive into smoking meat, I didn't do anything too fancy. Store-bought rub and store-bought sauce. Turned out fantastic, regardless. May have run it a touch on the hot side, I was having trouble dialing it into around 225. But I was happy with it. :thumbsup:
I think I've come up with a way to look at my electric smoker versus my traditional one that makes sense and helps me cook with it better. My traditional has the whole firebox thing going, and it's more like what I think of when I think of smoking meats. It takes a while, but the process is kinda fun.

My electric one is more like an oven. It just happens to have a little smoke in it. When I've thought about it more like this, it sorta makes more sense to me, and I've been cooking better shit in it. I think my biggest problem before this was that I was overcooking things. My stoopid brian kept thinking it was going to take a lot longer because that's how my traditional smoker was. Not sure it this helps you any, but it's worked for me.
Yeah, this is definitely a starter kit for me. I'll upgrade to the big leagues once I figure out some of the basics.
ILLogic

Post by ILLogic »

welcome to the club
ive spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Cobey wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:57 am Seasoned it on Saturday, made up a couple racks of baby back ribs last night for me and smoked a small ham for the wife. As it was my first dive into smoking meat, I didn't do anything too fancy. Store-bought rub and store-bought sauce. Turned out fantastic, regardless. May have run it a touch on the hot side, I was having trouble dialing it into around 225. But I was happy with it. :thumbsup:
I might have to follow into this territory......
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

You definitely should. I smoked an 8.5 lb pork butt on Saturday. Threw together a rub with what I had in the pantry, intentionally skipping anything sugar because my waist line is going the wrong way lately.

I have enough pork to feed myself for more than a week.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Cobey wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:32 am You definitely should. I smoked an 8.5 lb pork butt on Saturday. Threw together a rub with what I had in the pantry, intentionally skipping anything sugar because my waist line is going the wrong way lately.

I have enough pork to feed myself for more than a week.
Sounds like heaven. Never have enough meat around and I only have a charcoal grill, I've used gas but never owned one. Smoker sounds like my ideal way to go.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

when you upgrade look on line for a good heavy gauge smoker. The kind where the lid comes down flat over lapping the barrel.
Mine retailed at 600 and i got it for 80. guy used it once, never even seasoned it. i think he put one wood chip in.
I am on my 2nd one since 1990. first one lasted until 2013
They can be a bit of a tank, but worth it for smoking or cooking lots of food.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Sellingguy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:55 pm when you upgrade look on line for a good heavy gauge smoker. The kind where the lid comes down flat over lapping the barrel.
Mine retailed at 600 and i got it for 80. guy used it once, never even seasoned it. i think he put one wood chip in.
I am on my 2nd one since 1990. first one lasted until 2013
They can be a bit of a tank, but worth it for smoking or cooking lots of food.
I'm gonna need a bigger house with an actual yard before I'd even consider an upgrade. I'm pretty sure I'm pissing off the dogs of the entire townhouse complex with my meat smoking.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Start planning because you will most likely burn the bottom out of that smoker. crabby thin steel wont hold up long.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

What brand was the smoker? I'm looking at going today.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:10 am
Masterbuilt
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Cobey wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:19 am
Masterbuilt
Bought one on Sunday. Now need to get the temperature back up.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Masterbuilt
You season it yet? In theory, you could probably do that in the cold
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Cobey wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:00 pm

Masterbuilt
You season it yet? In theory, you could probably do that in the cold
Not yet. I'll probably do that this weekend. Hopefully warm enough president's day weekend. I have a three day weekend then and would love to smoke a bunch of stuff in those three days. My in laws were up north over the weekend, he smoked a bunch of ribs, sent pics to all the kids. I was dying. He stopped by on the way home and dropped some off. Told my wife I could eat those things every day. Change the sauce here and there but otherwise, love 'em.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

you can season your grill in any temp. now the cheaper thin metal will make it tough to control temps when it is cold when your smoking. But you should have no issue getting it up to 700 degrees. Lots of coal, lots of wood, pan of seasoned water and some cheap cut of meat. I suggest pork steak.
the biggest issue is the cold blast on the meat anytime you open it which should only be about 3 times at best.
cold temps are the one down side to a coal/wood fired smoker, but just pay attention to it and you will be fine.
2018 was the first year i did not use my smoker. I just went out to eat when I wanted ribs.
I think the coldest temp i have used mine was 5 degrees a couple of years ago. Since i have a firebox, the meat did not get exposed when I opened up to add more wood. The couple of times i opened main part to spray the ribs i opened it just enough to get the spray bottle in to send in a apple based mist on to the ribs.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Sellingguy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:27 am you can season your grill in any temp. now the cheaper thin metal will make it tough to control temps when it is cold when your smoking. But you should have no issue getting it up to 700 degrees. Lots of coal, lots of wood, pan of seasoned water and some cheap cut of meat. I suggest pork steak.
the biggest issue is the cold blast on the meat anytime you open it which should only be about 3 times at best.
cold temps are the one down side to a coal/wood fired smoker, but just pay attention to it and you will be fine.
2018 was the first year i did not use my smoker. I just went out to eat when I wanted ribs.
I think the coldest temp i have used mine was 5 degrees a couple of years ago. Since i have a firebox, the meat did not get exposed when I opened up to add more wood. The couple of times i opened main part to spray the ribs i opened it just enough to get the spray bottle in to send in a apple based mist on to the ribs.
Instead of doing all of this dumb shit, you could just buy an electric smoker that keeps a consistent temp. Let technology work for you, rather than standing over a burning barrel like a hobo.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

B-Town wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:12 pm
Sellingguy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:27 am you can season your grill in any temp. now the cheaper thin metal will make it tough to control temps when it is cold when your smoking. But you should have no issue getting it up to 700 degrees. Lots of coal, lots of wood, pan of seasoned water and some cheap cut of meat. I suggest pork steak.
Instead of doing all of this dumb shit, you could just buy an electric smoker that keeps a consistent temp. Let technology work for you, rather than standing over a burning barrel like a hobo.
Something something outdoor oven.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

B-Town wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:12 pm
This is why I bought the electric one for now. I'm hoping to start using it this week.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Where do you usually place these things when cooking? Driveway? I've seen a wood deck might be a no no?
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:04 pm Where do you usually place these things when cooking? Driveway? I've seen a wood deck might be a no no?
I have a patio that I use.

Why would a wood deck be a no-no? If you were using a charcoal or similar smoker, I could kind of see that...but if it's electric, I don't see there being a fire hazard...or at least no more so than a grill would be
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Cobey wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:38 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:04 pm Where do you usually place these things when cooking? Driveway? I've seen a wood deck might be a no no?

Why would a wood deck be a no-no? If you were using a charcoal or similar smoker, I could kind of see that...but if it's electric, I don't see there being a fire hazard...or at least no more so than a grill would be
I don't know why either, maybe they tell people normally not to use charcoal grills on wood decks? Either way, I've always used one on the deck, heck I used it last night! I'll use smoker on the deck, makes the most sense to me. My driveway has a nice slope on it so I don't want it out there plus not easy to see from my house. Deck is perfect.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:41 pm
Cobey wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:38 pm

I don't know why either, maybe they tell people normally not to use charcoal grills on wood decks? Either way, I've always used one on the deck, heck I used it last night! I'll use smoker on the deck, makes the most sense to me. My driveway has a nice slope on it so I don't want it out there plus not easy to see from my house. Deck is perfect.
Yeah, I'd say go ahead and use the deck. With my smoker, you can't really feel any heat until you touch it.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Masterbuilt
Finally used this sucker over the weekend. Made some ribs, they were fantastic. My kids even loved em and they're typical picky as hell kids.

Only did one rack of ribs just so I could make sure I was doing everything right. Not to throw more shit on there this upcoming weekend. How deep of a cleaning do you do for this thing Cobey?
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:43 am

Masterbuilt
Finally used this sucker over the weekend. Made some ribs, they were fantastic. My kids even loved em and they're typical picky as hell kids.

Only did one rack of ribs just so I could make sure I was doing everything right. Not to throw more shit on there this upcoming weekend. How deep of a cleaning do you do for this thing Cobey?
I clean the racks after each use (as if they were any other dish), but honestly that's about it. If there is a pile up of shit on the bottom, I'll scrape that off.