Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What should I smoke this weekend?!!!

whiskerbiscuit

Re: What should I smoke this weekend?!!!

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Try a duck. Smoked one up last weekend on the kettle.

Put it in the oven at high temp before it's done and crisp up that skin. Salvage the fat and fry shit in it. Bomb diggity.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
Verle

Post by Verle »

I'm smoking buckboard bacon tomorrow. Pork butts have a few cuts that have a lot fat and if cut right can yield 2 or 3 pounds of bacon. You don't have time to cure the bacon so throw a nice big spare rib slab in there.
Retreat but never cower
Hey good lookin' we'll be back to pick you up later!
I like to get out and dance, and just take over the nightclub. T.J.
Slaying quality Anoka puss on the reg.
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:10 pm Seems like the fall is the best time of the year to fire up the smoker!!! I've been using my electric smoker, and it's super convenient, which I love, but for me it just isn't the same as my good old fashioned side box style. I've just made some master pieces in that thing and the electric one just doesnt compete. I think I'll pull it in the garage tonight, to tighten up the bolts and get it in good shape again...it's probably nearing retirement... Last time I used it I had some serious questions in my mind as to whether or not the firebox was going to fall off... Maybe Walmart has a new one on clearance for me by now!!!

Anyway, what in the fuck should I smoke this weekend? Pork, beef, chicken, or salmon? What cut of meat do you recommend?
I bought a Rec Tec pellet grill in August. Love it!

Over the weekend I smoked some roast beef. Get the cheap bottom round and thinly sliced with horseradish sauce and cheese.
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:08 pm
Self High-Five wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:01 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:10 pm Seems like the fall is the best time of the year to fire up the smoker!!! I've been using my electric smoker, and it's super convenient, which I love, but for me it just isn't the same as my good old fashioned side box style. I've just made some master pieces in that thing and the electric one just doesnt compete. I think I'll pull it in the garage tonight, to tighten up the bolts and get it in good shape again...it's probably nearing retirement... Last time I used it I had some serious questions in my mind as to whether or not the firebox was going to fall off... Maybe Walmart has a new one on clearance for me by now!!!

Anyway, what in the fuck should I smoke this weekend? Pork, beef, chicken, or salmon? What cut of meat do you recommend?
I bought a Rec Tec pellet grill in August. Love it!

Over the weekend I smoked some roast beef. Get the cheap bottom round and thinly sliced with horseradish sauce and cheese.
I'm having a tough time getting used to my electric masterbuilt smoker. I like the ease of using it, but I'm coming to realize that it probably would work better to just smoke my stuff for about an hour, and then finish it up in the oven. I really started to get my old sideburner one figured out before I bought this one. It just seems like I'm overcooking everything now. I'm going to keep my eyes open for another old school one with the sidebox. I still have my old one, but it's too little, and I think it's on it's last legs anyway. Those cheap ass Charbroil ones don't usually make it more than a few seasons.
What temps are you smoking at? 185 - 225 is the range I use. Is your smoker having trouble getting the internal temps up?

Roast Beef over the weekend.

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:34 pm I think my first batch I cooked too hot. The next got dried out. The last was alright, but I did chicken, and that seems hard to completely fuck up.
Does it use discs or pellets?
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:03 pm
Self High-Five wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:01 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:34 pm I think my first batch I cooked too hot. The next got dried out. The last was alright, but I did chicken, and that seems hard to completely fuck up.
Does it use discs or pellets?
Pellets
Have you researched why that brand cooks at a faster temp than what you're use to?
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Just tossed on some bone-in ribeye, reverse sear.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Im thinking next week for a batch of ribs.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

certainly not those cigarettes you're still holding on to.
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Did a meat wheel and mac and cheese this past weekend.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Some Jamacian jerk chicken.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Self High-Five wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:48 am Did a meat wheel and mac and cheese this past weekend.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Ever try a pork belly two ways? Cut it in half. Then cut one of the halves into 2 inch cubes (yup amazing burnt ends) with just salt and pepper and then treat the big piece like a pork butt. Best shredded pork I've ever had in my life. The burnt ends braised in bbq sauce, honey, brown sugar, butter and more seasonings after it's been smoked for awhile.

Just don't cook the burnt ends at a high temp, hockey pucks one time.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

PurpleHaze wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:21 am Ever try a pork belly two ways? Cut it in half. Then cut one of the halves into 2 inch cubes (yup amazing burnt ends) with just salt and pepper and then treat the big piece like a pork butt. Best shredded pork I've ever had in my life. The burnt ends braised in bbq sauce, honey, brown sugar, butter and more seasonings after it's been smoked for awhile.

Next weekend I'm going to do the pork belly burnt ends.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Self High-Five wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:02 am
PurpleHaze wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:21 am Ever try a pork belly two ways? Cut it in half. Then cut one of the halves into 2 inch cubes (yup amazing burnt ends) with just salt and pepper and then treat the big piece like a pork butt. Best shredded pork I've ever had in my life. The burnt ends braised in bbq sauce, honey, brown sugar, butter and more seasonings after it's been smoked for awhile.

:drinky:

Not sure how many you've done but make sure you get a good ratio of fat and meat! I hate fat but it's worth it!
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

PurpleHaze wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:46 pm

Not sure how many you've done but make sure you get a good ratio of fat and meat! I hate fat but it's worth it!
This will be my first attempt. Just picked up the pork belly. Lund's and Byerly's fucked up on the pricing. $3.11 for the entire belly. :naners:

It does have a good fat ratio to it.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Self High-Five wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:45 pm
PurpleHaze wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:46 pm

This will be my first attempt. Just picked up the pork belly. Lund's and Byerly's fucked up on the pricing. $3.11 for the entire belly. :naners:

It does have a good fat ratio to it.
Holy fuck that's insane! I paid 49 bucks for an 11 pounder. How much does yours weigh? And what temp you cooking at?
Simpson Get Lifted wrote

Oscar on the Vikes:
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

5.5 lbs. They had it marked at .55 lbs.
Jgrimmz

Post by Jgrimmz »

I have venison jerky going in the smoker tomorrow. First try in the smoker, normally use a dehydrator. Depending on how much smoke it takes, might smoke for two hours then finish in the dehydrator