Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Battle of the 1st Rounders: Jaire Alexander vs Mike Hughes

salamander

Battle of the 1st Rounders: Jaire Alexander vs Mike Hughes

Post by salamander »

They will forever be compared against each other for years to come by Vikings and Packers fans.
I'll try to keep this thread updated.

Packers CB: Jaire Alexander
Spoiler:
2018, 18th overall pick (2017 collage stats: 6 games, 1 INT, 4 PD's, 19 total tackles)
Pro football reference: 71" Height, 192 lbs, 4.38 40yd, 14 Bench, 127 broad jump, 3.98 shuttle, 6.71 3cone, 35 vertical

Vikings CB: Mike Hughes
Spoiler:
2018, 30th overall pick (2017 collage stats: 13 games, 4 INT, 11 PD's, 49 total tackles)
Pro football reference: 71" Height, 191 lbs, 4.53 40yd, 20 Bench, 127 broad jump, 4.13 shuttle, 6.70 3cone, 35.5 vertical

------------
04/27/18: They look like very similar players as far as measurements go. Both about the same size. Alexander seems to be a little faster while Hughes looks more athletic. They've both got excellent names.
------------
05/15/18: What NFL rookies plan to do with their first paycheck
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post ... t-paycheck

Green Bay Packers
Cornerback Jaire Alexander said: "I’d probably have to say make sure my family’s straight. Make sure they’ve got everything they need. There’s not too much to spend on out here [in Green Bay], so I’ll be saving a lot. Might have to get me a farm or something." -- Rob Demovsky

Minnesota Vikings
Cornerback Mike Hughes said: "My dream is to get my mom her house and that’s what I’ll probably end up doing. ... Other than getting my mom a new house I plan to save money." -- Courtney Cronin
------------
09/10/18: First NFL games for both players on the same day. Let's see what they got for action.
Jaire Alexander logs 3 tackles (0 passes defensed) in his first ever, NFL game. It's good he got to see some game action and it will only help him progress into the elite 1st round pick the Packers hope he will become.

Mike Hughes logs 3 tackles as well in his first ever, NFL game. He also gets 3 passes defensed, one being a huge pick-6 and another being a huge potential TD pass on 3rd down, forcing the FG. You could say Hughes alone created an 11 point swing in this game by himself. This is the kind of elite play the Vikings envisioned when they drafted him with their first round pick.

It looks like both players (neither of which are starters right away) will be thrown to the fire and not be "allowed to learn" as some people might say.
Last edited by salamander on Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Chuck North

Re: Battle of the 1st Rounders: Jaire Alexander vs Mike Hughes

Post by Chuck North »

salamander wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:33 pm They will forever be compared against each other for years to come by Vikings and Packers fans.
Why?

Jaire will be starting for a lesser defense while Hughes will be allowed to learn. Totally different defenses and situations,
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Chuck North wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:38 pm
salamander wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:33 pm They will forever be compared against each other for years to come by Vikings and Packers fans.
Why?

Jaire will be starting for a lesser defense while Hughes will be allowed to learn. Totally different defenses and situations,
Not let's look at it if situations were reversed.. Packers had a good defense and Vikings were bad... what would you say then?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Why?

:lol:
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
VikingsVoice

Post by VikingsVoice »

Kind of feels like there are real concerns about Kevin King's long term future. They already need to strap his shoulder together every week and he only just entered the league.
VikingsVoice

Post by VikingsVoice »

I will say I'm much more nervous about the Packers succesfully developing high end defensive draft talent under Mike Pettine than I was under Capers. But you simply have to give the edge to Zimmer's pupil, especially considering Hughes was viewed as a potential Packers pick at 14 pre-draft.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Why?

It won't be a comparison until both are full time starters - if ever. I agree. Different D and situations.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

Chuck North wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:38 pm Why?

God dammit!

The packers drafted another starter and the Vikings only got a backup!

Spieldope!
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:46 pm Not let's look at it if situations were reversed.. Packers had a good defense and Vikings were bad... what would you say then?
Trey “Big Bust” Waynes!
tbgh

Post by tbgh »

I hope Hughes "busts" like Wayne and picks off game clinching interceptions against arod.

That would be pretty cool.
Put 'er in the ole vise.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

38-7
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

16-0

Blanked on their home turf

Packers got Skooooooooool fucked!!!!

Hahahahahahahaha "I'm winning"
Last edited by Offsides 97 defense on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

It's pretty cool that after going 7-9 the Pack was able to ride the wave to a huge win in the NFC Championship game.
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Why?

So another sucky year for a defense that will force A-Rod out of GB.
-
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Billy Baroo

Post by Billy Baroo »

Looks like Ted once again has drafted starting cornerbacks.

Randall and Rollins were both Starters who started games.
Go back to Wisconsin
salamander

Post by salamander »

VikingsVoice wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:45 pm I will say I'm much more nervous about the Packers succesfully developing high end defensive draft talent under Mike Pettine than I was under Capers. But you simply have to give the edge to Zimmer's pupil, especially considering Hughes was viewed as a potential Packers pick at 14 pre-draft.
I agree. This draft said a lot about where the new direction the Pack wants to go in. I just hope they don't get that defense righted before the end of Rodgers career.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

JPM wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:58 pm38-7
What does JPM and SPM have in common? Their arrest record.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
gopack

Post by gopack »

tbgh wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:31 pm I hope Hughes "busts" like Wayne and picks off game clinching interceptions against arod.

Waynes really isn't that good. He still likes to mug people. I guess he didn't get traded by his former time like someone else so he does have that going for him.
gopack

Post by gopack »

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:08 pm 16-0

Not really. The vikings begged the packers to win that game but Hundley made sure it didn't happen. If that's the game in the rivalry you want to hang your hat on it's pretty pathetic. :lol:
gopack

Post by gopack »

gopack wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:10 pm
tbgh wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:31 pm I hope Hughes "busts" like Wayne and picks off game clinching interceptions against arod.

Waynes really isn't that good. He still likes to mug people. I guess he didn't get traded by his former team like someone else so he does have that going for him.
Billy Baroo

Post by Billy Baroo »

Apparently Jaire didn't major in Geography, it's likely he chose Rocket Science.
“Never in my life did I think I’d be here in Wisconsin, so it’s an experience,” Alexander said. “It’s definitely different. Even the plane ride coming in, I’m like, ‘Man, there’s so many fields and stuff.’ I don’t know what to expect. But it’s been pretty cool.”
Go back to Wisconsin
Billy Baroo

Post by Billy Baroo »

Some asshole on the Internet compared Jaire Alexander to Ahmad Carroll

man, that's Harsh

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... rrAh20.htm
Go back to Wisconsin
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

gopack wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:14 pm
The Flying Sendejo wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:08 pm 16-0

Not really. The vikings begged the packers to win that game but Hundley made sure it didn't happen. If that's the game in the rivalry you want to hang your hat on it's pretty pathetic. :lol:
Where did he say that game had huge significance? Just pointed out the packers got skunked at home, albeit the first time in a LONG time and it was the Vikes that did it! That is all silly green bay boogers.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
salamander

Post by salamander »

05/15/18: What NFL rookies plan to do with their first paycheck
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post ... t-paycheck

Green Bay Packers
Cornerback Jaire Alexander said: "I’d probably have to say make sure my family’s straight. Make sure they’ve got everything they need. There’s not too much to spend on out here [in Green Bay], so I’ll be saving a lot. Might have to get me a farm or something." -- Rob Demovsky

Minnesota Vikings
Cornerback Mike Hughes said: "My dream is to get my mom her house and that’s what I’ll probably end up doing. ... Other than getting my mom a new house I plan to save money." -- Courtney Cronin
salamander

Post by salamander »

09/10/18: First NFL games for both players on the same day. Let's see what they got for action.
Jaire Alexander logs 3 tackles (0 passes defensed) in his first ever, NFL game. It's good he got to see some game action and it will only help him progress into the elite 1st round pick the Packers hope he will become.

Mike Hughes logs 3 tackles as well in his first ever, NFL game. He also gets 3 passes defensed, one being a huge pick-6 and another being a huge potential TD pass on 3rd down, forcing the FG. You could say Hughes alone created an 11 point swing in this game by himself. This is the kind of elite play the Vikings envisioned when they drafted him with their first round pick.

It looks like both players (neither of which are starters right away) will be thrown to the fire and not be "allowed to learn" as some people might say.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Why?

What a stupid logic.

Look at Rhodes, started on a horrible secondary/defense, he's now the best CB in the entire NFL. Alexander has no excuses, Rhodes didn't kiddo.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote

Oscar on the Vikes:
snicker

Post by snicker »

1st head to head goes to Alexander.
salamander

Post by salamander »

snicker wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 pm 1st head to head goes to Alexander.
They both had 0 passes defensed. Alexander had more tackles but Hughes showed up in special teams big.

Maybe a slight edge to Alexander but I wouldn't say it's a huge seperation.
snicker

Post by snicker »

Alexander had an interception that was called back by the bogus roughing the passer call on Matthews.
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

snicker wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:10 pm Alexander had an interception that was called back by the bogus roughing the passer call on Matthews.
:lol:

Jesus Christ

Crosby made that regulation field goal after Zimmer called time out! Packers win!