Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: instincts

"trust your own instinct. your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else's."- billy wilder

"common sense is instinct. enough of it is genius."- george bernard shaw

"i go by instinct....i don't worry about experience."- barbra streisand

"it is only by following your deepest instinct that you can lead a rich life."- katharine butler hathaway

"instinct is the nose of the mind."- madame de girardin
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"one of the reasons why so few of us act, instead of react, is because we are continually stifling our deepest impulses."- henry miller

"the struggle to learn to listen to and respect our own intuitive, inner promptings is the greatest challenge of all."- herb goldberg

"we each need to let our intuition guide us, and then be willing to follow that guidance directly and fearlessly."- shakti gawain

"the turht of the thing is the feel of it, not the think of it."- stanley kubrick

"spend time every day listening to what your muse is trying to tell you."- saint bartholomew
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"impulse without reason is not enough, and reason without impulse is a poor makeshift."- william james

"calculation never made a hero."- john henry cardinal newman

"systems die; instincts remain."- oliver wendell holmes jr.

"well-bred instinct meets reason half-way."- george santayana

"no one is more liable to make mistakes than the man who acts only on reflection."- vauvenargues

"imagination is more important than knowledge."- albert einstein
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"it is wisdom to believe the heart."- george santayana

"it is the heart always that sees, before the head can see."- thomas carlyle

"the heart has reasons which reason cannot understand."- blaise pascal

"just be what you are and speak from your guts and heart--it's all a man has."- hubert h. humphrey

"there are no rules. just follow your heart."- robin williams
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"passion and prejudice govern the world, only under the name of reason."- john wesley

"the conclusions of passion are the only reliable ones."- soren kierkegaard

"trust your hunches. they're usually based on facts filed away just below the conscious level."-dr. joyce brothers

"cherish your emotions and never undervalue them."- robert henri

"i'm pressing on."- bob dylan
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: doing what's right for us

"men can starve from a lack of self-realization as much as they can from a lack of bread."- richard wright

"every man has his own destiny; the only imperative is to follow it, to accept it, no matter where it leads him."- henry miller

"live as you will wish to have lived when you are dying."- christian furchtegott gellert

"what's important is fining out what works for you."- henry moore

"follow your bliss. find where it is and don't be afraid to follow it."- joseph campbell

"every man must get to heaven his own way."- frederick the great
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"what does reason demand of a man? a very easy thing--to live in accord with his own desire."- marcus annaeus seneca

"the highest courage is to dare to appear to be what one is."- john lancaster spalding

"learn what you are, and be such."- pindar

"it is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not."- andre gide

"this above all: to thine own self be true."- william shakespeare
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"it is possible to be different and still be all right."- anne wilson schaef

"it took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else's eyes."- sally field

"education should be the process of helping everyone to discover his uniqueness."- leo buscaglia

"remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."- eleanor roosevelt

"the crow that mimics a cormorant gets drowned."- japanese proverb
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"i was playing it like willie wilson, but i forgot that i'm in clint hurdle's body."- clint hurdle

"i wrote because i had to. i couldn't stop. there wasn't anything else i could do. if no one ever bought anything, anything i ever did, i'd still be writing. it's beyond a compulsion."- tennessee williams

"to every man according to his ability."- matthew 25:4

"genius does what it must. talent does what it can."- edward bulwer-lytton

"a man like verdi must write like verdi."- verdi
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the test of a vocation is the love of the drudgery it involves."- logan pearsall smith

"brutes find out where their talents lie; a bear will not attempt to fly."- jonathan swift

"we do not write as we want but as we can."- w. somerset maugham

"i'm a salami writer. i try to write good salami, but salami is salami."- stephen king

"it requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun."- ray croc
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the great law of culture: let each become all that he was created capable of being."- thomas carlyle

"in efforts to soar above our nature, we invariably fall below it."- edgar allan poe

"don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. try to be better than yourself."- william faulkner

"me, i'm just a hack. i'm just a schlepper. i just do what i can do."- bette midler
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"my mother said to me, 'if you become a soldier, you'll be a general, if you become a monk you'll end up as the pope.' instead, i became a painter and wound up as picasso."- pablo picasso

"a man can do only what he can do. but if he does that each day he can sleep at night and do it again the next day."- albert schweitzer

"we can't all be heroes, because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."- will rogers

"there is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way."- christopher morley
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

on to a new chapter: motivation

"what makes life dreary is want of motive."- george eliot

"as long as i have a want, i have a reason for living. satisfaction is death."- george bernard shaw

"one must not lose desires. they are mighty stimulants to creativeness, to love and to long life."
- alexander a. bogomoletz

"take away the cause, and the effect ceases."- miguel de cervantes
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great."- nicolo machiavelli

"talent isn't enough. you need motivation--and persistence, too: what steinbeck called a blend of faith and arrogance. when you're young, plain old poverty can be enough, along with an insatiable hunger for recognition. you have to have that feeling of 'i'll show them.' id you don't have it, don't become a writer."- leon uris

"never let go of that fiery sadness called desire."- patti smith

"winning isn't everything. wanting to win is."- catfish hunter

"we can do whatever we wish to do provided our wish is strong enough."- katherine mansfield
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"every man is said to have his peculiar ambition."- abraham lincoln

"all i want out of life is that when i walk down the street folks will say, 'there goes the greatest hitter who ever lived.' "- ted williams

"i tried to treat them like me, and some of them weren't."- coach bill russell on why he had difficulty with some of his players

"a man will fight harder for his interests than his rights."- napoleon bonaparte

"for every man there exists a bait which he cannot resist swallowing."- friedrich nietzsche
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"urgent necessity prompts many to do things."- miguel de cervantes

"discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation."- oscar wilde

"to have a grievance is to have a purpose in life."- eric hoffer

"always in a moment of extreme danger things can be done which had previously been thought impossible."- general erwin rommel

"necessity is the mother of taking chances."- mark twain
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"if each of us were to confess his most secret desire, the one that inspires all his plans, all his actions, he say: 'i want to be praised.' "
- e.m. cioran

"we are all motivated by a keen desire for praise, and the better a man is, the more he is inspired by glory."- cicero

"applause is the spur of noble minds, the end and aim of weaker ones."- charles caleb colton

"the greatest efforts of the race have always been traceable to the love of praise, as the greatest catastrophes to the love of pleasure."
- john ruskin
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"we talk on principle, but we act on interest."- walter savage landor

"the virtues and the vices are all put in motion by interest."- francois de la rochefoucauld

"there are only two forces that unite men--fear and interest."- napoleon bonaparte

"the passion to get ahead is sometimes born of the fear lest we be left behind."- eric hoffer

"a man who is afraid will do anything."- jawaharlal nehru

"men are not against you; they are merely for themselves."- gene fowler
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: realistic expectations

"life is not a spectacle or a feast; it is a predicament."- george santayana

"to expect too much is to have a sentimental view of life, and this is a softness that ends in bitterness."- flannery o'connor

"no one from the beginning of time has had security."- eleanor roosevelt

"when nobody around you seems to measure up, it's time to check your yardstick."- bill lemley

"life to the great majority is only a constant struggle for mere existence, with the certainty of losing it at last."- arthur schopenhauer
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"free man is by necessity insecure; thinking man is by necessity uncertain."- erich fromm

"there is no such thing as something for nothing."- napoleon hill

"life guarantees a chance--not a fair shake."- anonymous

"hope for a miracle--but don't depend on one."- talmud

"in nature there are neither rewards or punishments--there are consequences."- robert g. ingersoll
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"we expect more of ourselves than we have any right to."- oliver wendell holmes, jr.

"one must not hope to be more than one can be."- nicolas de chamfort

"shall a man go and hang himself because he belongs to the race of pygmies, and not be the bigges pygmy that he can?"- henry david thoreau

"the man with insight enough to admit his limitations comes nearest to perfection."- johann von goethe

"growth begins when we start to accept our own weakness."- jean vanier

"at thirty a man should know himself like the palm of his hand, know the exact number of defects and qualities....and, above all, accept these things."- albert camus
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"learn to...be what you are, and learn to resign with a good grace all that you are not."- henri frederic amiel

"we cannot all be masters."- william shakespeare

"it is only fools who keep straining for high C all their lives."- charles dudley warner

"despair is the price one pays for setting himself an impossible aim."- graham greene

"we would have to settle for the elegant goal of becoming ourselves."- william styron
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"a great obstacle to happiness is to expect too much happiness."- bernard de fontenelle

"i hope to work, support my children and die quietly without pain."- sean connery

"as we advance in life we learn the limits of our abilities."- j.a. froud

"it is enough that i am of value to somebody today."- hugh prather

"a tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient."- epitaph of alexander the great
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"happy the man who early learns the wide chasm that lies between his wishes and his powers."- johann von goethe

"real life is, to most men...a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible."- bertrand russell

"man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only animal that is struck with the difference between what things are, and what they might have been."- william hazlitt

"better is the enemy of the good."- voltaire

"a body shouldn't heed what might be. he's got to do with what is."- louis l'amour
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the greatest and most important problems in life are all in a certain sense insoluble. they can never be solved, but only outgrown."
- carl jung

"the art of living lies less in eliminating our troubles than in growing with them."- bernard m. baruch

"life has not taught me to expect nothing, but she has taught me not to expect success to be the inevitable result of my endeavors."
- alan paton

"doing what's right is no guarantee against misfortune."- william mcfee
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness."- george santayana

"when somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football."- anonymous

"a fool or idiot is one who expects things to happen that never can happen."- george eliot

"half the unhappiness in the world is due to the failure of plans which were never reasonable, and often impossible."- edgar watson howe

"life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do."
- bruce crampton professional golfer
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

some reality and warfare quotes

"every attempt to make war easy and safe will result in humiliation and disaster...there is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but boys, it is all hell."- general william t. sherman

"war is not an adventure. it is a disease. it is like typhus."- antoine de saint-exupery

"in combat, life is short, nasty and brutish. the issues of national policy which brought him into war are irrelevant to the combat soldier; he is concerned with his literal life chances."- charles e. moskos, jr.

"in spite of all the training you get and the precautions you take to keep yourself alive, it's largely a matter of luck that decides whether or not you get killed."- james jones
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"when one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciateds everything one does have."- stephen hawking

"do not commit the error, common among the young, of assuming that if you cannot save the whole of mankind you have failed."
- jan de hartog

"if one considered life as a simple loan, one would perhaps be less exacting."- eugene delacroix

"there's no map, there's no master plan, there's just people."- stingray

"every writer i know has trouble writing."- joseph heller
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: goals

"an aim in life is the only fortune worth finding."- jacqueline kennedy onassis

"you have to have a dream so you can get up in the morning."- billy wilder

"he who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."- friedrich nietzsche

"purpose is what gives life a meaning."- c.h. parkhurst

"great minds have purposes, others have wishes."- washington irving