Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

"if you want to be respected by others, the great thing is to respect yourself."- fyodor dostoyesvsky

"if one is cruel to himself, how can we expect him to be compassionate with others?"- hasdai ibn shaprut

"people who do not experience self-love have little or no capacity to love others."- nathaniel branden

"nobody holds a good opinion of a man who has a low opinion of himself."- anthony trollope
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I am liking the latest ones quite a bit!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"you grow up the day you have your first real laugh at yourself."- ethel barrymore

"imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not; a sense of humor was provided to console us for what we are."- mack mcginnis
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated."- william james

"i need a shot of love."- bob dylan
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"when the fight begins within himself, a man's worth something."- robert browning

"there is little that can withstand a man who can conquer himself."- louis XIV

"most powerful is he who has himself in his own power." marcus annaeus seneca

"he who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."- lao-tzu
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

interestingly, these last two days (Wed and Tues) can almost be opposites:

Wednesday's are about self control and about strength coming from within. True Self-Esteem. Tuesday's can be perceived as the opposite - the need for approval or admiration from others which can be the path to low-self esteem.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"what lies in our power to do, it lies in our power not to do."- aristotle

"self-control is the quality that distinguishes the fittest to survive."- george bernard shaw

"there is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self."- aldous huxley
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence, but in the mastery, of his passions."- lord tennyson

"the strong man is the one who is able to intercept at will the communication between the senses and the mind."- napoleon bonaparte

"he that would be superior to external influences must first become superior to his own passions."- samuel johnson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"calm self-confidence is as far from conceit as the desire to earn a decent living is remote from greed."- channing pollock

"self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin as self-neglecting."- william shakespeare

"pride...is the direct appreciation of oneself."- arthur schopenhauer
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"as soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live."- johann von goethe

"experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it."- stan smith

"a man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."- mark twain

"believe that you can whip the enemy, and you have won half the battle."- general j.e.b. stuart
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt."- william shakespeare

"a man's doubts and fears are his worst enemies."- william wrigley jr.

"self-distrust is the cause of most of our failures...they are the weakest, however strong, who have no faith in themselves or their own powers."
- christian bovee
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"self-trust is the first secret of success."- ralph waldo emerson

"they are able because they think they are able."- virgil

"nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstances."- bruce barton

"they conquer who believe they can."- john dryden
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:05 pm
"nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstances."- bruce barton
Love that one.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"immense power is acquired by assuring yourself in your secret reveries that you were born to control affairs."- andrew carnegie

"the big gap between the ability of actors is confidence."- kathleen turner

'great poetry is always written by somebody straining to go beyond what he can do."- stephen spender
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"i always thought i should be treated like a star."- madonna

"confidence is contagious. so is lack of confidence."- vince lombardi

"never bend your head. hold it high. look the world straight in the eye."- helen keller

“Measure yourself by your best moments, not by your worst. We are too prone to judge ourselves by our moments of despondency and depression.”
- Robert Johnson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"your future depends on many things, but mostly you."- frank tyger

"the best bet is to bet on yourself."- arnold glasow

"an axe at home saves hiring a carpenter."- j.c.f. von schiller

"no one can really pull you up very high--you lose your grip on the rope. but on your own two feet you can climb mountains."- louis brandeis
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"men are made stronger on realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."- sidney j. phil

"if you would have a faithful servant, and one that you like, serve yourself."- ben franklin

"i am not afraid of storms, for i am learning how to sail my ship."- louisa may alcott

"there are three types of baseball players--those who make it happen, those who watch it happen and those who wonder what happened."
- tommy lasorda

"no bird soars too high if he soars on his own wings."- william blake
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"there is no man so low down that the cure for his condition does not lie strictly within himself."- thomas l. masson

"i've never met a person, i don't care what his condition, in whom i could not see possibilities."- preston bradley

"the only zen you find on the tops of mountains is the zen you bring up there."- robert m. pirsig
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"God creates the animals, man creates himself."- georg christoph lichtenberg

"we either make ourselves miserable--or we make ourselves strong. the amount of work is the same."- carlos castaneda
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"circumstances are the rulers of the weak; they are but the instruments of the wise."- samuel lover

"circumstances--what are circumstances? i MAKE circumstances."- napoleon bonaparte

"man is not the creature of circumstances, circumstances are the creature of man. we are free agents, and man is more powerful than matter."
- benjamin disraeli
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"it is our relation to circumstances that determines their influence over us. the same wind that carries one vessel into port may blow another off shore."- christian bovee

"people are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. the people who get on in this world are they who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them."- george bernard shaw

"heaven and hell is right now...you make it heaven or you make it hell by your actions."- george harrison

"freedom means choosing your burden."- hephzibah menuhin
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"we create our fate every day...most of the ills we suffer from are directly traceable to our own behavior.- henry miller

"the winds and waves are always on the side of the ablest navigators."- edward gibbon

"make good use of bad rubbish."- elizabeth beresford

"is life so wretched? isn't it rather your hands which are too small, your vision which is muddied? you are the one who must grow up."
- dag hammarskjold
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"though reading and conversation may furnish us with many ideas of men and things, our own meditation must form our judgement."- isaac watts

"he who has no opinion of his own, but depends upon the opinion and taste of others, is a slave."- friedrich klopstock
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the man who makes everything that leads to happiness depend upon himself, and not upon other men, has adopted the very best plan for living happily."- plato

"happiness depends on ourselves."- aristotle

"we are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, your school, the teachers--you can blame anyone, but never blame yourself. it's never your fault. but it's always your fault, because if you want to change, you're the one who has got to change. it's as simple as that, isn't it."
-katherine hepburn

"discontent is want of self-discipline; it is infirmity of will."- ralph waldo emerson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."- abraham lincoln

"when i have been unhappy, i have heard an opera...and it seemed like the shrieking of winds; when i am happy, a sparrow's chirp is delicious to me. but it is not the chirp that makes me happy, but i that make it sweet."- john ruskin

"to believe that if only we had this or that we would be happy, or to pursue any excessive desire, diverts us from seeing that happiness depends on an adequate self."- eric hoffer
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

'No Man is an Island'
No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Loving the happiness ones weimy froob!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the u.s. constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. you have to catch up with it yourself."- ben franklin

"some pursue happiness--others create it."- anonymous

"happiness belongs to those who are sufficient unto themselves. for all external sources of happiness and pleasure are, by their very nature, highly uncertain, precarious, ephemeral, and subject to chance."- arthur schopenhauer

"to be obliged to beg our daily happiness from others bespeaks a more lamentable poverty than that of him who begs his daily bread."
- charles caleb colton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"blame yourself if you have no branches or leaves; don't accuse the sun of partiality."- chinese proverb

"the opportunities for enjoyment are limitless. if you feel you are not experiencing enough joy, you only have yourself to blame."- david e. bresler

"no human being can really understand another, and no one can arrange another's happiness."- grahm greene
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"somebody's boring me; i think it's me."- dylan thomas