Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

"many things which cannot be overcome when they are together, yield themselves up when taken little by little."- plutarch

"little by little does the trick."- aesop

"it is by attempting to reach the top at a single leap that so much misery is caused in the world."- william cobbett

"yesterday i dared to struggle. today i dare to win."- bernadette devlin

"i think and think for months, for years. ninety-nine times the conclusion is false. the hundredth time i am right."- albert einstein

"many strokes overthrow the tallest oaks."- john luly

"much rain wears the marble."- william shakespeare

"one thing at a time, all things in succession. that which grows slowly endures."- j.g. hubbard
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

small steps are big deals

"one sits down first; one thinks afterwards."- jean cocteau

"many strokes, though with a little axe, hew down and fell the hardest-timber'd oak."- william shakespeare

"progress is the sum of small victories won by individual human beings."- bruce catton

"what saves a man is to take a step. then another step."- antoine de saint-exupery

"the waters wear the stones."- job 14:19

"you don't just luck into things...you build step by step, whether it's friendships or opportunities."- barbara bush
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

inches add up

"victory is won not in miles, but in inches. win a little now, hold your ground, and later win a little more."- louis l' amour

"inches make a champion."- vince lombardi

"if we take care of the inches, we will not have to worry about the miles."- hartley coleridge

"yard by yard, it's very hard. but inch by inch, life's a cinch."- anonymous

"when ty cobb got on first base he had an apparently nervous habit of kicking the bag...by kicking the bag hard enough cobb could move it a full two inches closer to second base. he figured that this improved his chances for a steal, or for reaching second base safely on a hit."
- norman vincent peale
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

little things are big things

"life is a great bundle of little things."- oliver wendell holmes

"life is made up of little things. it is very rarely that an occasion is offered for doing a great deal at once. true greatness consists in being great in little things."- charles simmons

"i recommend you to take care of the minutes, for the hours will take care of themselves."- lord chesterfield

"why not learn to enjoy the little things--there are so many of them."- anonymous

"the mere sense of living is joy enough."- emily dickinson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

little things are big things continued

"trifles make up the happiness or the misery of mortal life."- alexander smith

"even a small star shines in the dark."- finnish proverb

"how far that little candle throws his beams! so shines a good deed in a naughty world."- william shakespeare

it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."- chinese proverb

"if you don't enjoy getting up and working and finishing your work and sitting down to a meal with family or friends, then the chances are you're not going to be happy. if someone bases his happiness or unhappiness on major events like a great new job, huge amounts of money, a flawlessly happy marriage or a trip to paris, that person isn't going to be happy much of the time. if, on the other hand, happiness depends on a good breakfast, flowers in the yard, a drink or a nap, then we are more likely to live with quite a bit of happiness."- andy rooney

"the big things that come our way are...the fruit of seeds planted in the daily routine of our work."- william feather
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

just doing whatever you can is enough

"i cannot do everything, but still i can do something; and because i cannot do everything, i will not refuse to do something that i can do."
- edward everett hale

"we cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once."- calvin coolidge

"nobody makes a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little."- edmund burke

"we must not...ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee."
- marian write edelman

"it is in trifles, and when he is off his guard, that a man best shows his character."- arthur schopenhauer
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"large streams from little mountains flow, tall oak from little acorns grow."- david everett

"a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."- chinese proverb

"the distance doesn't matter; only the first step is difficult."- madame marquise du deffand

"a terrace nine stories high begins with a pile of earth."- lao-tzu

"almost everything comes from almost nothing."- henri frederic amiel

"the greatest masterpieces were one only pigments on a palette."- henry s. haskins
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

modest beginnings can lead to great results continued

"from a little spark may burst a mighty flame."- dante alighieri

"if you wish to reach the highest, begin at the lowest."- publilius syrus

"great issues develop from small beginnings."- norman vincent peale

"no matter how big and tough a problem may be, get rid of confusion by taking one little step toward solution. do something.
- george f. nordenholt

"sow an act, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny."- g.d. boardman

"the way to succeed is never quit. that's it. but really be humble about it."- alex hailey
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"a little neglect may breed great mischief...for want of a nail, the shoe was lost; for want of a hoe, the horse was lost; for want of a horse, the battle was lost; for want of the battle, the war was lost."- benjamin franklin

"think not because no man sees, such things will remain unseen."- henry wadsworth longfellow

"the world is moved not only by the mighty shoves of the heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker."
-helen keller

"in great matters men show themselves as they wish to e seen; in small matters, as they are."- gamaliel bradford

"if, after all, men cannot always make history have a meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one."- albert camus
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

we start a new chapter today: perseverance

"there's nothing in this world that comes easy. there are a lot of people who aren't going to bother to win. we learn in football to get up and go once more."- woody hayes

"to persevere, trusting in what hopes he has, is courage in a man. the coward despairs."- euripides

"we conquer by continuing."- george matheson

"great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance."- samuel johnson

"be like a postage stamp--stick to one thing until you get there."- josh billings
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"with ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable."- sir thomas foxwell buxton

"nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful individuals with talent. genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."- calvin coolidge

"let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal; my strength lies solely in my tenacity."- louis pasteur

"in the game of life nothing is less important than the score at half time."- anonymous

"in the realm of ideas everything depends on enthusiasm; in the real world, all rests on perseverance."- johann von goethe

"diamonds are only lumps of coal that stuck to their jobs."- b.c. forbes
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"i am not the smartest or most talented person in the world, but i succeeded because i keep going, and going, and going."- sylvester stallone

"victory belongs to the most persevering."- napoleon bonaparte

"success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go."- william feather

"if you wish success in life, make perseverance your bosom friend."- joseph addison

"if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again."- w.e. hickson

"if at first you don't succeed, you're running about average."- m.h. alderson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the only way to the top is by persistent, intelligent, hard work."- a.t. mercier

"perseverance is a great element of success. if you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody."
- henry wadsworth longfellow

"flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success."- dale carnegie

"big shots are only little shots who keep shooting."- christopher morley

"there are no short cuts to any place worth going."- beverly sills

"plodding wins the race."- aesop

"it isn't hard to be good from time to time...what's tough is being good every day."- willie mays

"there's such a thin line between winning and losing."- john r. tunis
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

finish what you start

"the great majority of men are bundles of beginnings."- ralph waldo emerson

"it is easier to begin well than to finish well."- plautus

"great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending."- henry wadsworth longfellow

"we rate ability in men by what they finish, not by what they begin."- anonymous

"everyone has his superstitions. one of mine has always been when i started to go somewhere, or to do anything never to turn back or to stop until the thing intended was accomplished."- ulysses s. grant

"i just kept on doing what everyone starts doing. the real question is, why did other people stop?"- william stafford
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

finish what you start continued

"men perish because they cannot join the beginning with the end."- alcmaeon

"i can remember walking as a child. it was not customary to say you were fatigued. it was customary to complete the goal of the expedition.
-katharine hepburn

"he that has cut the claws of the lion will not feel quite secure until he has also drawn the teeth."- charles caleb colton

"either do not attempt at all, or go through with it."- ovid

"genius begins great works, labor alone finishes it."- joseph joubert

"there is but an inch of difference between the cushioned chamber and the padded cell."- g.k. chesterton

"all is well that ends well."- john heywood
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the drops of rain make a hole in the stone not by violence, but by oft falling."- lucretius

"it does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop."- confucius

"the great thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving."- oliver wendell holmes

""if we are acing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking."- ancient buddhist proverb

"i'm a slow walker, but i never walk back."- abraham lincoln

"slow and steady wins the race."- robert lloyd
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the lowest ebb is the turn of the tide."- henry wadsworth longfellow

"life begins on the other side of despair."- jean paul sartre

"effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."- napoleon hill

"one can go a long way after one is tired."- french proverb

"in our day, when a pitcher got into trouble in a game, instead of taking him out, our manager would leave him in and tell him to pitch his way out of trouble."- cy young

"you give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough, in the second half you give what's left."- yogi berra
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

keep going just a little longer

"i'm a little wounded but i am not slain; lay me down to bleed a while. then i'll rise and fight again."- john dryden

"the tragedy of life is not that man loses, but that he almost wins."- heywood broun

"a hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."- ralph waldo emerson

"courage is fear holding on a minute longer."- general george s. patton

"the line between failure and success is so fine that we...are often on the line and do not know it. how many a man has thrown up his hands at a time when a little more effort,a little more patience, would have achieved success. a little more persistence, a little more effort, and what seemed hopeless failure may turn to glorious success."- elbert hubbard

"when you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."- franklin delano roosevelt

"saints are sinners who kept on going."- robert louis stevenson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

keep going just a little longer continued

"men do not fail, they stop trying."- elihu root

"we can do anything we want to do if we stick to it long enough."- helen keller

"triumph often is nearest when defeat seems inescapable."- b.c. forbes

"never stop. one always stops as soon as something is about to happen."- peter brook

'many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."- thomas edison

"don't leave before the miracle happens."- anonymous

"fight one more round. when your feet are so tired you have to shuffle back to the center of the ring, fight one more round."
- james j. corbett

"it ain't over 'til it's over."- yogi berra
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"this man wellington is so stupid he does not know when he is beaten, and goes on fighting."- napoleon bonaparte

"as long as a person doesn't admit he is defeated, he is not defeated--he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting."- darrell royal

"never give in! never give in! never, never, never, never....in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions or honor and good sense!"- winston churchill

"first there are those who are winners, and know they are winners. then there are the losers who know they are losers. then there are those who are not winners, but don't know it. they're the ones for me. they never quit trying. they're the soul of our game."- bear bryant

"never admit defeat!"- arthur rimbaud

"he never knew when he was whipped...so he never was."- louis l'amour
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the importance of endurance

"to bear is to conquer our fate."- thomas campbell

"the first and final thing you have to do in this world is to last in it, and not be smashed in it."- ernest hemingway

"he conquers who endures."- anonymous

"i bend, i do not break."- jean de la fontaine

"the first need of being is endurance; to endure with gladness if we can, with fortitude in any event."- bliss carman

""to be somebody you must last."- ruth gordon
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the importance of endurance continued

"we shall live to fight again."- alfred lord tennyson

"giving up is the ultimate tragedy."- robert j. donovan

"God almighty hates a quitter."- samuel fessenden

"endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes."- buddha

"endure, and preserve yourselves for better things."- virgil

"if you want to see the sun shine, you have to weather the storm."- frank lane

"if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain."- dolly parton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the importance of endurance continued

"endurance is nobler than strength, and patience than beauty."- john ruskin

"what cannot be altered must be borne, not blamed."- thomas fuller

"to be unable to bear an ill is itself a great ill."- bion

"man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."- bern williams

"obstacles cannot crush me, every obstacle yields to stern resolve."- leonardo da vinci

"he that can't endure the bad will not live to see the good."- yiddish proverb

"hold on with a bulldog grip, and chew and choke as much as possible."- abraham lincoln
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."- ralph waldo emerson

"success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall."- oliver goldsmith

"if i don't get off the mat, i'll lose the match."- archie moore

"for a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again."- proverbs 24:16

"persistent people begin their success where others end in failure."- edward eggleston

"vitality shows not only in the ability to persist, but in the ability to start over."- f. scott fitzgerald
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"life is a maze in which we take the wrong turning before we learn to walk."- cyril connelly

"education is hanging around until you've caught on."- robert frost

"you go back to the gym and you just do it again until you get it right."- arnold schwarzenegger

"as long as one keeps searching, the answer comes."- joan baez

"all effort is in the last analysis sustained by faith that it is worth making."- ordway tead

"i read my own books sometimes to cheer me when it is hard to write, and then i remember that it was always difficult, and how nearly impossible it was sometimes."- ernest hemingway
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't."
- henry ward beecher

"when you're a professional, you come back no matter what happened the day before."- billy martin

"he turns not back who is bound to a star."- leonardo da vinci

"there was a texas ranger one time who said that there's no stopping a man who knows he's in the right and keeps a-coming."- louis l' amour

"tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope."- Romans

"i have often been adrift, but i have always stayed afloat."- david berry

"gnaw your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it, unearth it, gnaw it still."- henry david thoreau
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"like ships, men flounder time and time again."- henry miller

"to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."- alfred, lord tennyson

"to keep a lamp burning we have to keep putting oil in it."- mother teresa

"if you stop struggling, then you stop life."- huey newton

"you may have to fight a battle more than once to win it."- margaret thatcher

"never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be."- clementine paddleford

"good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure."- william saroyan
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: problems

"none of us can be free of conflict and woe. even the greatest men have had to accept disappointments as their daily bread."
-bernard m. baruch

"every path has its puddle."- english proverb

"if all our misfortunes were laid in common heap, whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be content to take their own and depart."- socrates

"a problem well stated is a problem half solved."- charles f. kettering

"it isn't that they can't see the solution, it's that they can't see the problem."- g.k. chesterton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

different ways to solve problems

"you often get a better hold upon a problem by going away from it for a time and dismissing it from your mind altogether."- dr. frank crane

"you can overcome anything if you don't bellyache."- bernard m. baruch

"when you can't solve the problem, manage it."- dr. robert h. schuller

"every problem contains the seeds of its own solution."- stanley arnold

"any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden." corrie ten boom

"the greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. they can never be solved, but only outgrown."
- carl jung
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the block of granite, which was an obstacle in the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong."- thomas carlyle

"many a man curses the rain that falls upon his head, and knows not that it brings abundance to drive away hunger."- saint basil

"the purest ore is produced from the hottest furnace."- charles caleb colton

"problems are only opportunities in work clothes."- henry j. kaiser

"real difficulties can be overcome, it is only the imaginary ones that are unconquerable."- theodore n. vail

"we must look for the opportunity in every difficulty, instead of being paralyzed at the thought of the difficulty in every opportunity."
- walter e. cole