Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

"there's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos."- jim hightower

"he who walks in the middle of the road gets hit from both sides."- george p. schultz

"the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in a period of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."- dante alighieri

"the man who sees both sides of an issue is very likely on the fence or up a tree."- anonymous

"the middle of the road is where the white line is, and that's the worst place to drive."- robert frost

"show me a person who is not an extremist about some things, who is a 'middle of the roader' in everything, and i will show you someone who is insecure."- g. aiken taylor
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"there is nothing harder than the softness of indifference."- juan montalvo

"the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference."- eli wiesel

"the only place you can win a football game is on the field. the only place you can lose it is in your heart."- darrell royal

"i am seeking, i am striving, i am in it with all my heart."- vincent van gogh

"wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. it is the spirit of the men who follow, and of the man who leads, that gains the victory."- general george s. patton

"morale is the greatest single factor in successful wars."- dwight d. eisenhower
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"our future and our fate lie in our wills more than in our hands, for our hands are but the instruments of our wills."- b.c. forbes

"strength is a matter of the made-up mind."- john beecher

"what a man believes, he will die for. what a man merly thinks, he will change his mind about."- anonymous

"the eloquent man is he who is no beautiful speaker, but who is inwardly and desperately drunk with a certain belief."
-ralph waldo emerson

"whether you are really right or not doesn't matter, it's the belief that counts."- robertson davies
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the wise man puts all his eggs in one basket and watches the basket."- andrew carnegie

"poverty is uncomfortable, as i can testify: but nine times out of ten the best thing that can happen to a young man is to be tossed overboard and compelled to sink or swim for himself."- james a. garfield

"you don't know what pressure is until you play for $5 with only $2 in your pocket."- lee trevino

"the fixed determination to have acquired the warrior soul, to either conquer or perish with honor, is the secret to victory."
- general george s. patton

"even now we can draw back. but once we cross that little bridge, we must settle things by the sword."- julius caesar, to his troops as they prepared to cross the rubicon river
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"there is no strong performance without a little fanaticism in the performer."- ralph waldo emerson

"i don't want people who want to dance, i want people who have to dance."- george balanchine

"to have no loyalty is to have no dignity, and in the end, no manhood."- peter taylor forsyth

"great minds have purposes, others have wishes."- washington irving

"never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be."- clementine paddleford

"i am in earnest; i will not equivocate; i will not excuse; i will not retreat a single inch; and i will be heard."- william lloyd garrison
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: concentration

"the ability to concentrate and to use your time well is everything."- lee iacocca

"a straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."- andre gide

"if you don't concentrate, you'll end up on your rear."- tai babilonia

"the secret to success in any human endeavor is total concentration."- kurt vonnegut

"the secret of concentration is the secret of self-discovery. you reach inside yourself to discover your personal resources, and what it takes to match them to the challenge."- arnold palmer
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"one arrow does not bring down two birds."-turkish proverb

"no horse gets anywhere until he's harnessed...no life ever grows great until it is focused, dedicated, disciplined."
-harry emerson fosdick

"a man may be so much of everything that he is nothing of everything."- samuel johnson

"one man; two loves. no good ever comes of that."- euripides

"one cannot both feast and become rich."- ashanti proverb

"the perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- g.k. chesterton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the field of consciousness is tiny. it accepts only one problem at a time."- antoine de saint-exupery

"to do two things at once is to do neither."- publilius syrus

"each man is capable of doing one thing well. if he attempts several, he will fail to achieve distinction in any."- plato

give me a man who say this one thing i do, and not these fifty things i dabble in."- dwight l. moody

"a single idea, if it is right, saves us the labor of an infinity of experiences."- jacques maritain

"purity of heart is to will one thing."- soren kierkegaard
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"while the work or play is on...don't constantly feel you ought to be doing the other."- franklin p. adams

"the immature mind hops from one thing to another; the mature mind seeks to follow through."- harry a. overstreet

"when walking, walk. when eating, eat."- zen maxim

"you can't ring the bells and, at the same time, walk in the procession."- spanish proverb

"a full mind is an empty baseball bat."- branch rickey

"the real essence of work is concentrated energy."- walter begehot

"do whatever you do intensely."- robert henri

i've learned ruthless concentration. i can write under any circumstances...street noises, loud talk, music, you name it."- sylvia porter

"other people's interruptions of your work are relatively insignificant compared with the countless times you interrupt yourself."
-brendan francis
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"no man will swim ashore and take his baggage with him."- marcus annaeus seneca

"become so wrapped up in something that you forget to be afraid."- lady bird johnson

"if you direct your whole thoughts to work itself none of the things which invade eyes or ears will reach the mind."- quintilian

"i can't concentrate on golf or bowling. those bowling pins aren't going to hurt me. i can concentrate in the ring because someone is trying to kill me."- carmen basilio

"when i come into the game in the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, no one out, and a one run lead...it takes people off my mind."- tug mcgraw

"those who set out to serve both God and Mammon soon discover that there is no God."- logan pearsall smith
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: work

"the happy people are those who are producing something."- william ralph inge

"congenial labor is essence of happiness."- arthur christopher benson

"employment is nature's physician, and is essential to human happiness."- galen

"when i stop working, the rest of the day is posthumous, i'm only really alive when i'm working."- tennessee williams

"continuity of purpose is one of the most essential ingredients of happiness in the long run, and for most men this comes chiefly through their work."- bertrand russell
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"if a man is called to be a streetsweeper he should sweep streets even as michelangelo painted, or beethoven composed music or shakespeare wrote poetry. he should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well."- martin luther king jr.

"the work praises the man."- irish proverb

"originality and the feeling of one's own dignity are achieved only through work and struggle."- fyodor dostoyevsky

"there is a kind of victory in good work, no matter how humble."- jack kemp

"labor disgraces no man; unfortunately, you occasionally find men who disgrace labor."- ulysses s. grant

"the highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes of it."- john ruskin
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"never desert your own line of talent. be what nature intended you for, and you will succeed."- sydney smith

"men take only their needs into consideration never their abilities."- napoleon bonaparte

"everybody undertakes what he sees another successful in, whether he has the aptitude for it or not."- johann von goethe

"one should stick to the sort of thing for which one was made; i tried to be an herbalist, whereas i should keep to the butcher's trade."
-jean de la fontaine

"some people are born to lift heavy weights, some are born to juggle golden balls."- max beerbohm

"life is to be lived. if you have to support yourself, you had bloody well better find some way that is going to be interesting. and you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself."- katherine hepburn
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the test of a vocation is the love of the drudgery it involves."- logan pearsall smith

"i love mickey mouse more than any woman i've ever known."- walt disney

"give me a man who sings at his work."- thomas carlyle

"to love what you do and feel that it matters--how could anything be more fun?- katharine graham

"work and play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions."- mark twain

"the more i want to get something done, the less i call it work."- richard bach
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"nothing worthwhile comes easily. half effort does not produce half results, it produces no results. work, continuous work and hard work, is the only way to accomplish results that last."- hamilton holt

"if a man wakes up famous, he hasn't been sleeping."- wes izzard

"striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted."- david bly

"success comes before work only in the dictionary."- anonymous

"sweat plus sacrifice equals success." charles o. finley

"success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it."- henry david thoreau
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

work pays dividends

"diligence is the mother of good luck, and God fives all things to industry."- benjamin franklin

"to industry, nothing is impossible."- latin proverb

"God sells us all things at the price of labor."- leonardo da vinci

"fortune is ever seen accompanying industry."- oliver goldsmith

"manual labor to my father was not only good and decent for it's own sake, but as he was given to saying, it straightened out one's thoughts."
- mary ellen chase

"i get satisfaction of three kinds. one is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that i haven't just been sitting on my ass all afternoon."- william f. buckley
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"there is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless work."- albert camus

"opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work."- thomas a. edison

"a man's work is from sun to sun, but a mother's work is never done."- anonymous

"the one important thing i have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously, and taking one's self seriously. the first is imperative, and the second is disastrous."- margot fonteyn

"work is the best method devised for killing time."- william feather

"industry is a better horse to ride than genius."- walter lippman
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: perfection

nothing is perfect

"perfection does not exist. to understand this is the triumph of human intelligence; to expect to possess it is the most dangerous kind of madness."- alfred de musset

"the essence of man is imperfection."- norman cousins

"the essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection."- george orwell

perfection never exists in reality, but only in our dreams."- dr. rudolf dreikurs

his only fault is that he has no fault."- pliny, the younger
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"you know what they call the guy who finishes last in medical school? they call him doctor."- abe lemons

"the 'c' students run the world."- harry s. truman

"a good garden may have some weeds."- thomas fuller

"at times failure is very necessary for the artist. it reminds him that failure is not the ultimate disaster. and this reminder liberates him from the mean fussing of perfectionism."- john berger

"perfection is no more a requisite to art than to heroes."- ned rorem

"all of us failed to match our dreams of perfection."- william faulkner

"what, after all, is a halo? it's only more more thing to keep clean."- christopher fry
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

people don't want or expect perfection

"living with a saint is more grueling than being one."- robert neville

"he is all fault who hath no fault at all. for who loves me must have a touch of earth."- alfred lord tennyson

"if the best man's faults were written on his forehead, it would make him pull his hat over his eyes."- gaelic proverb

"i don't like a man to be too efficient. he's likely to be not human enough."- felix frankfurter

"sainthood is acceptable only in saints."- pamela hansford johnson

"i like a man with faults, especially when he knows it."- hugh prather

"you're only human, you're supposed to make mistakes."- billy joel
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the maxim 'nothing avails but perfection' may be spelled 'paralysis'"- sir winston churchill

"perfectionism is a dangerous state of mind in an imperfect world."- robert hillyer

"perfectionism is slow death."- hugh prather

""i only have to stop the puck, not beat it to death."- don beaupre

"use what talents you have; the woods would have little music if no birds sang their song except those who sang best."
- reverend oliver g. wilson

"you just have to learn not to care about the dust mites under the beds."- margaret mead
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: just do the footwork, then let it go

action

"having the world's best idea will do you no good unless you act on it. people who want milk shouldn't sit on a stool in the middle of a field in hopes that a cow will back up to them."- curtis grant

"life happens at the level of events, not words."- alfred adler

"the only measure of what you believe is what you do. if you want to know what people believe, don't read what they write, don't ask them what they believe, just observe what they do."- ashley montagu

"our nature consists in motion; complete rest is death."- blaise pascal

"the superior man is modest in his speech, but excels in his actions."- confucius

"an ounce of action is worth a ton of theory."- friedrich engels

"action is the only reality, not only reality but morality, as well."- abbie hoffman
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

action continued

"even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."- will rogers

"if faith without works is dead, willingness without action is fantasy."- anonymous

"inspirations never go in for long engagements; they demand immediate marriage to action."- brendan francis

"the life of the spirit is centrally and essentially a life of action."- mary mcdermott shideler

"it's a great piece of skill to know how to guide your luck, even while waiting for it."- baltasar gracian

"God doesn't make orange juice, God makes oranges."- jesse jackson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

you're responsible for the effort-not the outcome

""learn to do thy part and leave the rest to heaven."- john henry cardinal newman

"trust in God and do something."- mary lynn

"God helps them that help themselves."- benjamin franklin

"oh Lord, thou givest us everything at the price of an effort."- leonardo da vinci

"you, yourself, must make te effort. the buddhas are only teachers."- buddhist proverb

"doing what's right is no guarantee against misfortune."- william mcfee

"that man is blest who does his best and leaves the rest; do not worry."- charles f. deems
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

you're responsible for the effort-not the outcome continued.

"if people are suffering, then they must look within themselves...happiness is not something ready-made (buddha) can give you. it comes from your own actions."- the dalai lama

in all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result."- james lane allen

happy people plan actions, they don't plan results."- dennis wholey

"God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful."- mother teresa

"God alone can finish."- john ruskin
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

we can't--and don't need to--control things

"a guru might say that spiritual deepening involves a journey toward the unselfconscious living of life as it unfolds, rather than toward a willful determination to make it happen."- john fortunato

"somehow, when we no longer feel in control, we become available to deeper aliveness."- richard moss

"relinquishing control is the ultimate challenge of the spiritual warrior."- the book of runes

"the bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp."- john berry

i began to have an idea of my life, not as the slow shaping of achievement to fit my preconceived purposes, but as the gradual discovery and growth of a purpose which i did not know."- joanna field

"you have freedom when you're easy in your harness."- robert frost
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

we can't--and don't need to--control things cont'd.

"as the soft yield of water cleaves obstinate stone, so to yield with life life solves the insolvable: to yield, i have learned, is to come back again."
- lao-tzu

"for peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe."- anonymous

"so often we try to alter circumstances to suit ourselves, instead of letting them alter us."- mother maribel

"the worst thing you can do is to try to cling to something that's gone, or to recreate it."- johnette napolitano

"i claim not to have controlled events, but confess plainly that events have controlled me."- abraham lincoln

"letting people be okay without us is how we get to be okay without them."- merrit malloy
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Thank you for all of these inspirational thoughts Weimy. We need them more than ever in this uncertain turmoil now.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

trusting a higher power

"life is God's novel. let him write it."- isaac bashevis singer

"whate'er we leave to God, God does and blesses us."- henry david thoreau

"doing what is right isn't the problem, it's knowing what is right. lyndon b. johnson

God tests His real friends more severely than the lukewarm ones."- katheryn hulme

"if you can't help it, don't think about it."- carmel myers

"wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down."- toni morrison

God's will is not an itinerary, but an attitude."- andrew dhuse

"even now i am full of hope, but the end lies in God."- pindar
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new page and a new chapter: take one step at a time

"look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing for it. yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and i know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.:- jacob a. riis

"not to go back is somewhat to advance. and men must walk, at least, before they dance."- alexander pope

"he who would learn to fly one day must learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly by by flying."- friedrich nietzsche

"great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together."- vincent van gogh

"well-being is attained little by little, and is no little thing itself."- zeno of citium

"nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs."- henry ford