Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

looks like this thread is unfrozen now. going to restart it with some hitchens quotes.

"what can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."- christopher hitchens

"There are all kinds of stupid people that annoy me but what annoys me most is a lazy argument."- ibid

"The cause of my life has been to oppose superstition. It's a battle you can't hope to win - it's a battle that's going to go on forever. It's part of the human condition."- ibid

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God."- ibid

ruff ruff
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the fewer the words the better the prayer."- martin luther
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the simple heart that freely asks in love, obtains."- john greenleaf whittier

"most people do not pray; they only beg."- bernard shaw
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Feller, Bob “Every day is a new opportunity; you can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is. With a new game every day.”
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"we should pray for a sane mind in a sound body."- juvenal

""just pray for a tough hide and a tender heart."- ruth graham

"grant that we may not so much seek to be understood as to understand.- saint francis of assisi

"grant me the courage not to give up, even thought i think it is hopeless."- admiral chester w. nimitz
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men. do not pray for tasks equal to your powers, pray for powers equal to your tasks."- phillips brooks

"pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs."- theodore roosevelt

"the wise man in the storm prays God not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear."- ralph waldo emerson
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

'When you hit that last tune and it's good, don't go back.'

-Donald Trump, quoting Elton John who never said that.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer!"
- joseph scriven

"only by trust in God can a man carrying responsibility find repose.,"- dwight david eisenhower
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"who rises from prayer a better man, his prayer is answered."- george meredith

"i tremble for my country when i reflect that God is just."- thomas jefferson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the exercise of prayer, in those who habitually exert it, must be regarded by us doctors as the most adequate and normal of all the pacifiers of the mind and calmers of the nerves."- william james

"the influence of prayer on the human mind and body can be measured in terms of increased physical buoyancy, greater intellectual vigor, moral stamina, and a deeper understanding of the realities underlying human relationships."- dr. alexis carrel
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

today is going to be the last prayer quote unless i see something i just have to share. there's still 10 more pages of prayer quotations to get thru-but i think everybody still reading this thread gets the point. here's today's though. i think it's quite good.

"the beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety."- george mueller
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"90 percent of the world's woe comes from people not knowing themselves, their abilities, their frailties, and even their real virtues. most of us go almost all the way through life as complete strangers to ourselves.- sydney j. harris

"a man who knows he is a fool is not a great fool."- chuang-tse

"resolve to be thyself; and know that he who finds himself, loses his misery."- matthew arnold

"many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- henry david thoreau
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

The prayer ones went for a loooong time. Whilst good, I enjoy the change.

Love that fishing one weimy froob! Going to use it.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

LordNu wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:23 pm The prayer ones went for a loooong time. Whilst good, I enjoy the change.

Love that fishing one weimy froob! Going to use it.
:thumbsup: i think you're right on both accounts.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"it is the individual who knows how little he knows about himself who stands a reasonable chance of finding out something about himself."- s.i. hayakawa

"to understand is to forgive, even oneself."- alexander chase

"knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment."- lao-tzu

and from the prayer page

"all the troubles of life come upon us because we refuse to sit quietly for awhile each day in our rooms."- blaine pascal

"but first of all we shall want sunlight; nothing much can grow in the dark. meditation is our step out into the sun." bill w.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"when a man begins to understand himself, he begins to live."- norvin g. mcgranahan

"a humble knowledge of oneself is a surer road to God than a deep searching of the sciences."- thomas a'kempis

"no man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."- thomas mann
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the most difficult thing in life is to know yourself."- thales

"no man ever understands quite his own artful dodges to escape from the grim shadow of self-knowledge."- joseph conrad

"nothing is easier than self-deceit."- demosthenes

"one may understand the cosmos, but never the ego; the self is more distant than any star."- g.k. chesterton
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

That "Heart of Darkness" book (where the Conrad quote came from) is full of amazing quotes.

"Droll thing life is: that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself - that comes too late - a crop of inextinguishable regrets."

I would rebut that with my other favourite author, Hesse, in his Steppenwolf book, where each new day we can start our lives again!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

LordNu wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:38 pm That "Heart of Darkness" book (where the Conrad quote came from) is full of amazing quotes.

"Droll thing life is: that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself - that comes too late - a crop of inextinguishable regrets."

I would rebut that with my other favourite author, Hesse, in his Steppenwolf book, where each new day we can start our lives again!
:thumbsup:

hesse is correct. easier said than done though. what i appreciate most about conrad is that english wasn't his first language and he wrote what are considered some of the greatest english novels ever. nabokov wasn't a native english speaker either and he did a number with his books written in english too.

the conrad quote is very insightful though. probably more reality based than hesse's for the average person. you have to really work hard to put hesse's quote into play. possible-but not too probable for most people.
Last edited by weimy froob on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"learn what you are, and be such."- pindar

"self-understanding rather than self-condemnation is the way to inner peace and mature conscience."- joshua loth liebman

"of all the idiots i have met in my life, and the Lord knows that they have not been few or little, i think that i have been the biggest."
- isak dinesen

"i'm a salami writer. i try to write good salami-but salami is salami."- stephen king
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"rebellion against your handicaps gets you nowhere. self-pity gets you nowhere. one must have the adventurous daring to accept oneself as a bundle of possibilities and undertake the most interesting game in the world--making the most of one's best."- harry emerson fosdick

"in other living creatures the ignorance of themselves is nature, but in men it is a vice."- boethius

"it is doubtless a vice to turn one's eyes inward too much, but i am my own comedy and tragedy."- ralph waldo emerson

"there is no disappointment we endure one-half so great as what we are to ourselves."- philip james bailey
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"every man stamps his value on himself...man is made great or small by his own will."- j.c.f. von schiller

"the worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself."- mark twain

"what you think about yourself is much more important than what others think of you."- marcus annaeus seneca

"as soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live."- johann von goethe
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"blessed is he who expects no gratitude, for he shall not be disappointed."- william bennett

"if there are two hundred people in a room and one of them doesn't like me, i've got to get out."- marlon brando

"i care not what others think of what i do, but i care very much about what i think of what i do. that is character!"- theodore roosevelt

"of all afflictions, the worst is self-contempt."- berthold auerbach
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"if God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise."- johann von goethe

"it is the chiefest point of happiness that a man is willing to be what he is."- erasmus

"learn what you are and be such."- pindar

"people remain what they are, even when their faces all to pieces."- bertolt brecht
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am "if God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise."- johann von goethe

"it is the chiefest point of happiness that a man is willing to be what he is."- erasmus

"people remain what they are, even when their faces all to pieces."- bertolt brecht
I have issue with a lot of these. People who strive to be better use these types of quotes as inspiration. People who don't care to improve themselves and wish to justify being their base selves use the same quotes.

For example, a person with a temper could argue to his friends and family that he need not change because he is simply an angry person and if God wanted him to have a different personality, He could have created him that way.

I'm not implying that is what you meant, weimy. I really do like your quotes. In my "profession", I hear a lot of people use these types of quotes to justify whatever they want to do.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Da Gas Man wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:34 am
weimy froob wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am "if God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise."- johann von goethe

I have issue with a lot of these. People who strive to be better use these types of quotes as inspiration. People who don't care to improve themselves and wish to justify being their base selves use the same quotes.

For example, a person with a temper could argue to his friends and family that he need not change because he is simply an angry person and if God wanted him to have a different personality, He could have created him that way.

I'm not implying that is what you meant, weimy. I really do like your quotes. In my "profession", I hear a lot of people use these types of quotes to justify whatever they want to do.
it's all about thought provocation. if it gets you thinking then the thread's doing it's job.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:35 am
Da Gas Man wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:34 am

it's all about thought provocation. if it gets you thinking then the thread's doing it's job.
I know. and thanks for sharing these as often as you.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the courage to be is teh courage to accept oneself, in spite of being unacceptable."- paul tillich

"a man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them, for they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world."- sigmund freud
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"i'm not OK, you're not OK--and that's OK."- william sloane coffin

"all the discontented people i know are trying to be something they are not, to do something they cannot do."- david grayson

"a man can stand a lot as long as he can stand himself."- axel munthe
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"at thirty a man should know himself like the palm of his hand, know the exact number of his defects and qualities...and above all, accept these things."- albert camus

"despair is the price one pays for setting himself an impossible aim"- graham greene

"we would have to settle for the elegant goal of becoming ourselves."- william stryon