Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Gary Ryan Blair “Do more than is required. What is the distance between someone who achieves their goals consistently and those who spend their lives and careers merely following? The extra mile.”
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:12 am Gary Ryan Blair “Do more than is required. What is the distance between someone who achieves their goals consistently and those who spend their lives and careers merely following? The extra mile.”
:thumbsup:

"Let us move on and step out boldly-though it be into the night and we can scarcely see the way. A Higher Intelligence than the mortal sees the road before us."- Charles B. Newcomb
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Greg Norman“Setting goals for your game is an art. The trick is in setting them at the right level — neither too low nor too high. A good goal should be lofty enough to inspire hard work, yet realistic enough to provide solid hope of attainment.”
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

"A cup of coffee and a solid dump makes for a great day ahead"

Kinkster
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i've got another page and a half of faith quotes to read thru. not going to try and overdo it with the re-posts-but if i like it i like it. and that means i have to use it. here's today's.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"faith builds a bridge across the gulf of death."- edward young
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"to me, faith means not worrying."- john dewey
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

still working on the faith chapter. too many good ones to just whip through the readings. maybe i better put more than one per post for awhile to speed things up and move on to the next one.

"the opposite of having faith is having self-pity."- og guinness

"i would rather live in a world where my life is surrounded by mystery than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it."- henry emerson fosdick

"strike from mankind the principle of faith, and men would have no more history than a flock of sheep."- edward bulwer-lytton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the primary cause of unhappiness in the world today is...lack of faith."- carl jung

"faith makes the discords of the present the harmonies of the future."- robert collyer

that wraps up the faith chapter. tomorrow it's on to the prayer one. should be interesting.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the prayer chapter is the longest chapter in the book by a good margin. i take it that the compiler of quotes was a man of prayer. i'm going to work thru the quotes-but they might be too much for some of those that don't believe in the power of prayer. could be awhile until we move on-sorry if that bothers you. i hope you keep reading anyways. and feel more than free to add a couple of quotes yourself if you'd like. on any topic, of course.

"non-praying is lawlessness, discord, anarchy."- e.m. bounds

"the most praying souls are the most assured souls."- thomas b. brooks
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"a day without prayer is a boast against God."- owen carr

"seven days without prayer makes one weak."- allen e. bartlett

"those who always pray are necessary to those who never pray."- victor hugo
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a break from the prayer quotes today. should be back to them tomorrow though.

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:00 am a break from the prayer quotes today. should be back to them tomorrow though.

Quoted that in my head yesterday actually.

PS Do you treat prayer as meditation?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

LordNu wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:06 pm
weimy froob wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:00 am a break from the prayer quotes today. should be back to them tomorrow though.

Quoted that in my head yesterday actually.

PS Do you treat prayer as meditation?
i very rarely say my own prayer. i read a prayer daily from my devotional book. my concept of God makes prayer almost irrelevant. and as garth brooks sang-there's something to be said for unanswered prayers. i'm very intrigued by all the people in this chapter who believe how important it is for them though. it sure gets me thinking. and there's going to be a good stretch of prayer quotes here-because it's one of the longest if not the longest chapter in the book.

do you meditate?

also-here are the prayer quotes for the day.

"begin to realize more and more that prayer is the most important thing you do."- o. hallesby

"prayer time must be kept up as duly as meal-time."- matthew henry

"time spent in prayer is never wasted."- francois de fenelon

"i have to hurry all day to get time to pray."- martin luther
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Yeah I try to meditate half an hour every day. I haven't been as adept at getting to that calm place for quite a while, too many things going on that rip you away from being grounded. I am also not devoting myself to making time every day. So in a way, I understand the idea of devoting oneself to prayer or mediation each day, because I know the benefits it brings. It is something that you really need to maintain, akin to exercising: you can't just do one session and leave it for days before coming back to it.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

LordNu wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:33 pm Yeah I try to meditate half an hour every day. I haven't been as adept at getting to that calm place for quite a while, too many things going on that rip you away from being grounded. I am also not devoting myself to making time every day. So in a way, I understand the idea of devoting oneself to prayer or mediation each day, because I know the benefits it brings. It is something that you really need to maintain, akin to exercising: you can't just do one session and leave it for days before coming back to it.
:thumbsup:

morning prayer

"the morning prayer determines the day."- dietrich bonhoeffer

"in general it is best to have at least one hour alone with God before engaging in anything else."- e.m. bounds
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

evening prayer

"the man who says his prayers in the evening is a captain posting his sentries. after that, he can sleep."- charles baudelaire
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"i have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that i had nowhere else to go. my own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for the day."- abraham lincoln

"ordinarily when a man in difficulty turns to prayer, he has already tried every other means of escape."- austin o'malley
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"if you are swept off your feet, it's time to get on your knees."- fred beck

prayer and helplessness are inseparable. only he who is helpless can truly pray."- o. hallesby

"when a man is at his wits' end it is not a cowardly thing to pray. it is the only way he can get in touch with Reality."- oswald chambers
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"you pray in your distress and in your need; would that you might also pray in the fullness of your joy and in your days of abundance."- kahlil gibran

"don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines."- satchel paige
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"many pray with their lips for that which their hearts have no desire."- jonathan edwards

"deep down in me i knowed it was a lie, and He knowed it. you can't pray a lie-i found that out."- mark twain

"pray everyday."- buck owens
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"every time you pray, if your prayer is sincere, there will be new feeling and new meaning in it which will give you fresh courage, and you will understand that prayer is an education."- fyodor dostoyesvsky

"it is not well for a man to pray cream and live skim milk."- henry ward beecher

"none can pray well but he that lives well."- thomas fuller
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"God prefers bad verses recited with a pure heart to the finest verses chanted by the wicked."- voltaire

"the best prayers have often more groans than words.- john bunyan

"prayer is a fine, delicate instrument. to use it right is a great art, a holy art. there is perhaps no greater art than the art of prayer. yet the least gifted, the uneducated and the poor can cultivate the holy art of prayer.- o. hallesby