Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

"the time is always right to do what is right."- martin luther king jr.

"one realm we have never conquered: the pure present."- d.h. lawrence

"he who lives in the present lives in eternity."- ludwig wittgenstein

"a life uncommanded now is uncommanded; a life unenjoyed now is unenjoyed; a life not lived wisely now is not lived wisely."- david grayson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"yesterday is a cancelled check. tomorrow is a promissory note. today is cash in hand. spend it!"- john w. newbern

"i try to learn from the past, but i plan for the future by focusing exclusively on the present. that's where the fun is."- donald trump

"the ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness."- abraham maslow

"who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past."- george orwell
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"some people are making such thorough preparation for rainy days that they aren't enjoying today's sunshine."- william feather

"the greater part of our lives is spent in dreaming over the morrow, and when it comes, it, too, is consumed in the anticipation of a brighter morrow, and so the cheat is prolonged, even to the grave."- mark rutherford

"to live only for some future goal is shallow. it's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top."- robert m. pirsig
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another new chapter:"this moment"

"every second is of infinite value."- johann von goethe

"we do not remember days. we remember moments."- cesare pavese

"life is a succession of moments. to live each one is to succeed."- corita kent
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the only way to live is to accept each minute as an unrepeatable miracle, which is exactl what it is: a miracle and unrepeatable."- storm jameson

"God speaks to all individuals through what happens to them moment by moment."- j.p. decaussade
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"life is all memory except for the one present moment that goes by so quick you can hardly catch it going."- tennessee williams

"the passing moment is all we can be sure of; it is only common sense to extract its utmost value from it.- w. somerset magham

"he is blessed over all mortals who loses no moment of the passing life."- henry david thoreau
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another new chapter: mornings

"weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."-psalms 30:5

"for what human ill does not dawn seem to be an alleviation?"-thornton wilder

"snow endures but for a season, and joy comes with the morning."- marcus aurelius

"the morning is wiser than the evening."- russian proverb
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent, emotionally overdrawn, and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter:
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:58 am a good reading for post 300-from Jesus of Nazareth

Luke 6:32-49 New King James Version (NKJV)

32 “But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, [a]hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. 36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.

Do Not Judge
37 “Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”

39 And He spoke a parable to them: “Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into the ditch? 40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher. 41 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the plank in your own eye? 42 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother’s eye.

A Tree Is Known by Its Fruit
43 “For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. 45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

Build on the Rock
46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? 47 Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: 48 He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was [c]founded on the rock. 49 But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it [d]fell. And the ruin of that house was great.”

I actually have just started reading/doing "A Course in Miracles". Ever heard of it?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

LordNu wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:15 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:58 am a good reading for post 300-from Jesus of Nazareth

Luke 6:32-49 New King James Version (NKJV)

32 “But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, [a]hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. 36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.

Do Not Judge
37 “Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”

39 And He spoke a parable to them: “Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into the ditch? 40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher. 41 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the plank in your own eye? 42 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother’s eye.

A Tree Is Known by Its Fruit
43 “For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. 45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

Build on the Rock
46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? 47 Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: 48 He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was [c]founded on the rock. 49 But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it [d]fell. And the ruin of that house was great.”

I actually have just started reading/doing "A Course in Miracles". Ever heard of it?

no. but i just finished a great courses lecture series titled "how Jesus became God" and it was very good.

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses ... e-god.html
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"each day is a new life. seize it. live it."- david guy powers

"always begin anew with the day, just as nature does. it is one of the sensible things that nature does."- george e. woodberry

"each day the world is born anew for him who takes it rightly."- james russell lowell

"i love the challenge of starting at zero every day and seeing how much i can accomplish."- martha stewart
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"no matter how big or soft or warm your bed is, you still have to get out of it."- grace slick

"do not shorten the morning by getting up late; look upon it as the quintessence of life, and to a certain extent sacred."
- arthur schoppenhauer

"up lad: when the journey's over there'll be time enough to sleep,"- a.e. housman

"even if a farmer intends to loaf, he gets up in time for an early start."- edgar watson howe
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"i thank you God for this most amazing day; for the leaping greenly spirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes."- ee cummings

"everyday ask yourself the question, "do i want to experience peace of mind or do i want to experience conflict?"- gerald jampolsky

"to get up each morning with the resolve to be happy...is to set our own conditions to the events of each day. to do this is to condition circumstances instead of being conditioned by them.- ralph waldo trine
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

“My credo is etched on my mirror in my bathroom and I see it when I brush my teeth in the morning. It says, “Don’t worry, Be Happy, Feel Good.” When you see that first thing, and you reflect on it, the rest of the day seems to glide by pretty well.”
— Larry Hagman
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the sun is new each day."- heraclitus

"what humbugs we are, who pretend to live for beauty, and never see the dawn!"- logan pearsall smith

"sunrise:day's great progenitor.- emily dickinson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"do you know what the greatest test is? do you still get excited about what you do when you get up in the morning?"- david halberstam

"the mind is found most acute and most uneasy in the morning. uneasiness is, indeed, a species of sagacity--a passive sagacity. fools are never uneasy.
- johann von goethe

"day's sweetest moments are at dawn."- ella wheeler wilcox
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: evenings

"each morning puts man on trial and evening passes judgement."- roy l. smith

"shed, as you do your garments, your daily sins, whether of omission or commission, and you will wake a free man, with a new life."
- sir william osler

"to carry care to bed is to sleep with a pack on your back."- thomas c. haliburton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"it is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it."
-john steinbeck

"sleep: the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together."- thomas dekker

"there may be those on earth who dress better or eat better, but those who enjoy the peace of God sleep better."- l. thomas holdcroft
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

that's it for evening-another short chapter. now it's on to tomorrow: the future

"it is a mistake to look too far ahead. only one link in the chain of destiny can be handled at a time."- sir winston churchill

"cease to inquire what the future has in store, and take as a gift whatever the day brings forth."- horace

"there is no data on the future."- laurel cutler

"the best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time."- abraham lincoln

"the future is hidden from even those who make it."- anatole france
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"cowards die many times before their death; the valient never taste of death but once."- william shakespeare

"the future is called 'perhaps' which is the only possible thing to call the future. and the important thing is not to allow that to scare you."
- tennessee williams

"i have been nothing...but there is tomorrow."- louis l'amour
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"tomorrow is the day when idlers work, and fools reform."- edward young

"tomorrow is the only day in the year that appeals to the lazy man."- jimmy lyons
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."- eleanor roosevelt

"i like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."- thomas jefferson

"i never think of the future. it comes soon enough."- albert einstein

"when i look at the future, it's so bright, it burns my eyes."- oprah winfrey
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

another new chapter: average "boring" days

Spoiler:
in case you can't read that. Image
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"a man can stand almost anything except a succession of ordinary days."- johann von goethe

"any idiot can face a crisis--it's day to day living that wears you out."- anton chekhov

"it is not only cruelty that leads men to war, it is excitement."- henry ward beecher

"peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew."- john greenleaf whittier

"peace is not only better than war, but infinitely more arduous."- george bernard shaw
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:20 am
"it is not only cruelty that leads men to war, it is excitement."- henry ward beecher
This is a sad reality at the moment.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"boredom is rage spread thin."- paul tillich

"ennui has made more gamblers than avarice, more drunkards than thirst, and perhaps as many suicides as despair."- charles caleb colton

"boredom slays more of existence than war."- norman mailer

"monotony is the awful reward of the careful."- a.g. buckham
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"if your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself you are not poet enough to call forth its riches."
- rainer maria rilke

"somebody's boring me; i think it's me."- dylan thomas

"boredom is simply the lack of imagination."- julie o. smith

"is not life a hundred times too short for us to bore ourselves?"- friedrich nietzsche
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

wrapping up the boredom chapter today with just this one. short but sweet.

"man is the only animal that can be bored."- erich fromm
Spoiler:
i think the animals we've domesticated can get bored.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: "difficult days"

"experience cold or heat, pleasure or pain. these experiences are fleeting; they come and go. bear them patiently."- sri krishna (bhagavad gita)

"this, too, shall pass."- william shakespeare

"some days you tame the tiger. some days the tiger has you for lunch."- tug mcgraw
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:16 pm
"man is the only animal that can be bored."- erich fromm

i think the animals we've domesticated can get bored.
We have made them part of ourselves, tamed them into boredom. Perhaps, had we not defeated made our environment submit to our will so easily, we may not experience the boredom.

Boredom is man made, it is all in our minds. Smart phones are only hurting us in this regard, for why should we not enjoy, when nothing to do, staring out into nature? Maybe because it isn't there anymore...

BTW I thought you may have rehashed the Sagan quotes from Bubbletrousers.