Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

"each day should be passed as though it were our last."- pubilius syrus

"one should count each day as a separate life."- marcus annaeus seneca

"no one can confidently say that he will still be living tomorrow."- euripides
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed."- nicolas de chamfort

"we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once."- friedrich nietzsche

"take time every day to do something silly."- philipa walker

"i finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it."- rita mae brown
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"i look back on my life like a good day's work; it is done, and i am satisfied with it."- grandma moses

"most of life is routine--dull and grubby, but routine is the mountain that keeps a man going. if you wait for inspiration you'll be standing on the corner after the parade is a mile down the street."- ben nicholas

"motivation is what gets you started. habit is what keeps you going."- jim ryuh
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"quality is not an act. it is a habit."- aristotle

"habit is stronger than reason."- george santayana

"character is simply habit long enough continued."- plutarch

"nothing is more powerful than habit."- ovid
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

MEME2019-01-05-11-23-35-576x360.jpg
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the longest day is soon ended."- pliny, the younger

"a day is a miniature eternity."- ralph waldo emerson

"the time which we have at our disposal every day is elastic; the passions that we feel expand it, those that we inspire contract it; and habit fills up what remains."- marcel proust
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"time is not a line, but a series of now-points."- taisen deshimaru

"the value of life lies not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them; a man may live long yet live very little."- michel de montaigne

"reality is a staircase going neither up nor down, we don't move; today is today, always is today."- octavio paz
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent, emotionally overdrawn, and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"time is an avid gambler who has no need to cheat to win every time."- charles baudelaire

"time is the only critic without ambition."- john steinbeck

"time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."- theophrastus

"time is the wises counsellor of all."- pericles
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

end of the day and time chapter today. here are the final quotes.

"time is one kind of robber whom the law does not strike at, and who steals what is most precious to men."- napoleon bonaparte

"time is a circus always packing up and moving away."- ben hecht

"time is but the stream i go a-fishing in."- henry david thoreau

"time is the longest distance between two places."- tennessee williams
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Old_Kid wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:32 pm "Get off my phuckin' tractor." - Uncle Bud.

"You're doing a good job but you're doing it all wrong." - Uncle Bud.

"Just what the hell are you going to do with that shovel?" - Uncle Bud.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physically spent, emotionally overdrawn, and morally bankrupt in no way to spend a Tuesday. :scooter:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Old_Kid wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:28 pm
I like the Cajun music and experienced it on exercises in Baton Rouge "back in the day." Good toe tapping/beer drinking music while eating some spicy food I cannot remember the name of right now. I was not familiar ( :shock: ) with his work so had to research.

Wilson Anthony "Boozoo" Chavis was an American accordion player, singer, songwriter and bandleader. He was one of the pioneers of zydeco, the fusion of Cajun and blues music developed in southwest Louisiana. Chavis died on May 5, 2001.

His most popular tune on iTunes: Who Stole My Monkey?

:thumbsup:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the next chapter: yesterday-the past. let's see how this one goes.

"vanity plays lurid tricks with our memory."- joseph conrad

"nostalgia is a seductive liar."- george w. ball

"the heart's memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good; and thanks to this artifice we manage to endure the burdens of the past."
- gabriel garcia marquez

praising what is lost makes the remembrance dear."- william shakespeare
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"children today are tyrants. they contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers."- socrates

"only sick music makes money today."- friedrich nietzsche

"posterity will say as usual: 'in the past things were better, the present is worse than the past.' "- anton chekhov

"probably no one alive hasn't at one tiime or another brooded over the possibility of going back to an earlier, ideal age in his existence and living a different kind of life."- hal boyle

"the worst time is always the present."- jean de la fontaine
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday."- john wayne

"judgment comes from experience, and great judgment comes from bad experience."- robert packwood

"i know of no way of judging the future but by the past."- patrick henry

"those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."- george santayana

"the past is never dead--it is not even past."- william faulkner
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:12 am end of the day and time chapter today. here are the final quotes.

"time is one kind of robber whom the law does not strike at, and who steals what is most precious to men."- napoleon bonaparte

"time is a circus always packing up and moving away."- ben hecht

"time is but the stream i go a-fishing in."- henry david thoreau

"time is the longest distance between two places."- tennessee williams
I forgot to add:

'Time isn't holding us; Time isn't after us; Time is a pony ride!' - David Byrne

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the biggest thing in today's sorrow is the memory of yesterday's joy."- kahlil gibran

"ne'er look for the birds of this year in the nests of the last."- miguel de cervantes

"how the past perishes is how the future becomes."- alfred north whitehead

"the first recipe for happines is: avoid too lengthy meditations on the past."- andre maurois

"i like the dreams for the future better than the history of the past."- thomas jefferson

"don't look back. something may be gaining on you."- satchel paige
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the past is but the beginning of a beginning, and all that is and has been is but the twilight of the dawn."- h.g. wells

"the good old days were never that good, believe me. the good new days are today, and better days are coming tomorrow. our greatest songs are still unsung."- hubert. h. humphrey

"what's past is prologue."- william shakespeare
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"fear not for the future, weep not for the past."- percy bysshe shelley

"there are two days about which nobody should ever worry, and these are yesterday and tomorrow."- robert jones burdette

"we crucify ourselves between two thieves: regret for yesterday and fear of tomorrow."- fulton oursler

"every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."- oscar wilde
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"i'm not convincedd that the world is in any worse shape than it ever was. it's just that in this age of almost instantaneous communication, we bear the weight of problems our forefathers only read about after they were solved."- burton hillis

"the past is a guidepost, not a hitching post."- l. thomas holdcroft

"the past not merely is not fugitive, it remains present."- marcel proust
Old_Kid

Post by Old_Kid »

Last edited by Old_Kid on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Old_Kid wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:57 pm "I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." — Yogi Berra

"You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise, they won't come to yours." — Yogi Berra

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it" — Yogi Berra

"Amplifying on the things improperly attributed to him, Yogi said: "I never really said all those things I said" — Yogi Berra

"Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical" — Yogi Berra (Personal Favorite) :clap:
i always like this yogi quote.
Spoiler:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

starting a new chapter. today: the present

"seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow."- horace

"half of today is better than all of tomorrow."- jean de la fontaine

"one today is worth two tomorrows."- ben franklin

"today is the first day of the rest of your life."- abbie hoffman
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"all of us tend to put off living. we are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today."- dale carnegie

"we want to live in the present, and the only history that is worth a tinker's damn is the history we make today."- henry ford

"if we are ever to enjoy life, now is the time, not tomorrow or next year....today should always be our most wonderful day."- thomas dreier
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the more i give myself permission to live in the moment and enjoy it without feeling guilty or judgmental about any other time, the better i feel about the quality of my work."- wayne dyer

"i believe that only one person in a thousand knows the trick of really living in the present."- storm jameson

"this is the day which the Lord has made. let us rejoice and be glad in it."- Psalms 118:24

"today is your lucky day."- will durant
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the future belongs to those who live intensely in the present."- anon.

"the present is the living sum-total of the whole past."- thomas carlyle

"the present is an edifice which God cannot rebuild."- ralph waldo emerson

"we are here and it is now. further than that, all knowledge is moonshine."- h.l. mencken
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a good reading for post 300-from Jesus of Nazareth

Luke 6:32-49 New King James Version (NKJV)

32 “But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, [a]hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. 36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.

Do Not Judge
37 “Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”

39 And He spoke a parable to them: “Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into the ditch? 40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher. 41 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the plank in your own eye? 42 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother’s eye.

A Tree Is Known by Its Fruit
43 “For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. 45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

Build on the Rock
46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? 47 Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: 48 He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was [c]founded on the rock. 49 But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it [d]fell. And the ruin of that house was great.”