Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Cosmology thread

LordNu

Cosmology thread

Post by LordNu »

weimy froob

Re: Cosmology thread

Post by weimy froob »

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people. Carl Sagan
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I made a post for you in Deep Thoughts, weimy froob
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

See the Last Pictures From the Cassini Mission to Saturn
As the beloved spacecraft hurtled toward its fiery doom, it beamed home a final collection of eerily beautiful images.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017 ... turn-2017/
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Oh man, all the pics are OUT OF CONTROL! Such Art!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

LordNu wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:26 pm Oh man, all the pics are OUT OF CONTROL! Such Art!
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... mages.html
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

What Happened Before the Big Bang? The New Philosophy of Cosmology
On the big questions science cannot (yet?) answer, a new crop of philosophers are trying to provide answers.

This question of accounting for what we call the "big bang state" -- the search for a physical explanation of it -- is probably the most important question within the philosophy of cosmology, and there are a couple different lines of thought about it. One that's becoming more and more prevalent in the physics community is the idea that the big bang state itself arose out of some previous condition, and that therefore there might be an explanation of it in terms of the previously existing dynamics by which it came about. There are other ideas, for instance that maybe there might be special sorts of laws, or special sorts of explanatory principles, that would apply uniquely to the initial state of the universe.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... gy/251608/
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I saw a Brian Cox lecture and he basically ended with the theory of the multiverse. At the beginning, they have been able to take a picture of the way the light from the big bang was mean to be expelled, and it looks eerily similar to how the universe has ended up via heat patterns. The idea being that everything has already been written from the first instance, and is just playing out.

I write this before looking at your article, will do when I have a few moments.

PS that nytimes link was tops!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the NYT pics are incredible. you're right.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I thought this thread was about doing make up and hair?!? I'm here all week Froobs!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Basically the only books I read are physics and cosmology related, I don't find history, biographies, fiction, etc that interesting. This stuff makes you think.

The shear size and vast distances don't give me much hope for the human race travelling outside our solar system, maybe with great planning and investment in resources we could reach our local solar neighbors but that's a one way trip. Unless we uncover some radical new physics, we might be stuck. I mean CERN hasn't dug up much new data, just confirming expected theories within the standard model.

Many of the theories that are floating around have very little hope of being testable. The multiverse is popular but there is no real way to test. Some think that gravity might pose a method if gravity bleeds between universes but good luck with that.

Amazing that we've uncovered so much about how the universe may work from a tiny little planet tucked away in an arm of mundane galaxy amongst hundreds of billions of other galaxies.

Skip to 2:15 to get to the vast sizes we are dealing with.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Or the greatest webpage ever made: Scale of the Universe.
http://scaleofuniverse.com/
Last edited by Moses Scurry on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Nice post Moses!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:35 pm Basically the only books I read are physics and cosmology related, I don't find history, biographies, fiction, etc that interesting. This stuff makes you think.

The shear size and vast distances don't give me much hope for the human race travelling outside our solar system, maybe with great planning and investment in resources we could reach our local solar neighbors but that's a one way trip. Unless we uncover some radical new physics, we might be stuck. I mean CERN hasn't dug up much new data, just confirming expected theories within the standard model.

Many of the theories that are floating around have very little hope of being testable. The multiverse is popular but there is no real way to test. Some think that gravity might pose a method if gravity bleeds between universes but good luck with that.

Amazing that we've uncovered so much about how the universe may work from a tiny little planet tucked away in an arm of mundane galaxy amongst hundreds of billions of other galaxies.

Skip to 2:15 to get to the vast sizes we are dealing with.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Or the greatest webpage ever made: Scale of the Universe.
http://scaleofuniverse.com/
i think that some day there will be space travel outside of our solar system. we were just born too soon to be around to check it out. but i do think it's coming. too many good minds will be working on it for it not to happen imo.

ruff ruff
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i admit this is pretty hard for me to understand.

Jupiter's backward-flying asteroid from another star system

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — Just months after the discovery of our first known interstellar visitor, it turns out there's another asteroid from yet another star system residing in our cosmic club in plain view.

Scientists reported Monday that this interstellar resident is an asteroid sharing Jupiter's orbit but circling in the opposite direction.

The asteroid, known as 2015 BZ509, has been in this peculiar backward orbit around the sun ever since getting sucked into our solar system, the researchers said. About 2 miles (3 kilometers) across, it joined our neighborhood in the first moments after our solar system formed 4.5 billion years ago.

The French and Brazilian researchers base their finding on extensive computer simulations showing BZ always has orbited around the sun in reverse and thus harkens back to the beginning of our solar system.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jupiters-bac ... 24126.html
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

You guy's really need to stop talking about makeup. Savvy?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

We actually have this great "Stargazing" show event on tonight, tomorrow, and Thursday with Brian Cox. I think it's syndicated in the UK as well, so I assume it would end up on your televisions at some point. Some of the images are amazing.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

This Is Why Physicists Think String Theory Might Be Our 'Theory Of Everything'

The idea that instead of 0-dimensional particles, it's 1-dimensional strings that fundamentally make up the Universe is at the core of string theory. (flickr user Trailfan)

It's one of the most brilliant, controversial and unproven ideas in all of physics: string theory. At the heart of string theory is the thread of an idea that's run through physics for centuries, that at some fundamental level, all the different forces, particles, interactions and manifestations of reality are tied together as part of the same framework. Instead of four independent fundamental forces — strong, electromagnetic, weak and gravitational — there's one unified theory that encompasses all of them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswith ... b0b7a358c2
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

String theory is fun and all but it is un-testable. The only hope they have is via cosmology and maybe with the expansion of the universe the evidence of microscopic strings would be stretched out on some level and they could observe them second hand somehow. Otherwise, as it sits, its basically a religion or fun mathematical exercise.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:59 pm String theory is fun and all but it is un-testable. The only hope they have is via cosmology and maybe with the expansion of the universe the evidence of microscopic strings would be stretched out on some level and they could observe them second hand somehow. Otherwise, as it sits, its basically a religion or fun mathematical exercise.
how much of the theory can you comprehend? i like reading about this stuff-but i admit most of it is above the pay grade. you a physics wonk mose*s?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

NASA reveals stunning images of Jupiter taken by the Juno spacecraft

Nasa has released stunning images of Jupiter taken from the Juno spacecraft.

The breathtaking images show swirling cloud belts and tumultuous vortices within Jupiter’s northern hemisphere.

https://yahoo.com/news/nasa-reveals-stu ... 09974.html
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:58 pm NASA reveals stunning images of Jupiter taken by the Juno spacecraft

Nasa has released stunning images of Jupiter taken from the Juno spacecraft.

The breathtaking images show swirling cloud belts and tumultuous vortices within Jupiter’s northern hemisphere.

https://yahoo.com/news/nasa-reveals-stu ... 09974.html
It's like art!

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Huge asteroid is currently so close to Earth you can see it

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/321acb9b-2 ... ly-so.html

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jupiter’s Got Twelve New Moons — One is a Bit of a Problem Child

Jupiter’s family has really grown since Galileo first recorded its four largest moons in 1610.

On Tuesday, the International Astronomical Union (IAU) announced the discovery of 10 new moons orbiting Jupiter. Along with two found through the same research project but announced in June 2017, this brings the roster of Jupiter’s known natural satellites to 79.

One of these new moons turned out to be a bit of a rebel. Of the 12 latest moons to join Jupiter’s family, it’s a maverick whose odd orbit may give astronomers crucial insights to understanding how the moons of Jupiter came to be.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2018/07/j ... -new-moons