Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Quotes from the greatest minds

weimy froob

Re: Quotes from the greatest minds

Post by weimy froob »

good things to be gained from fear

"fear makes us feel our humanity."- benjamin disraeli

"a coward's fear can make a coward valient."- thomas fuller

"being scared can keep a man from getting killed, and often makes a better fighter of him."- louis l'amour

"nerves provide me with energy...it's when i don't have them, when i feel at ease, that i get worried."- mike nichols

"fear is the father of courage and the mother of safety."- henry h. tweedy
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

other definitions of fear

"fear is nature's warning signal to get busy."- henry link

"fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil."- aristotle

"fear is static that prevents me from hearing myself."- samuel butler

"fear is the start of wisdom."- miguel de unamuno

"fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty."- bertrand a. russell

"fear is the lengthened shadow of ignorance."- arnold glasow
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

general quotations on fear

"nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear."- albert camus

"fear betrays unworthy souls."- virgil

"fear could never make a virtue."- voltaire

"fear is sharp-sighted, and can see things under ground, and much more in the skies."- miguel de cervantes

"it is better to have a right destroyed than to abandon it because of fear."- phillip mann
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

general fear quotes continued

"a great philosophy isnot a philosophy without reproach; it is philosophy without fear."- charles peguy

"there is a time to take counsel of your fears, and there is a time to never listen to any fear."- general george s. patton

"fear has a large shadow, but he himself is small."- j. ruth gendler

"pitching is the art of instilling fear by making a man flinch."- sandy koufax

"stripped of all their masquerades, the fears of men are quite identical: the fear of loneliness, rejection, inferiority, unmanageable anger, illness and death."- joshua loch liebman
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

we wrap up the fear quotations today.

"what is there to be afraid of? the worst thing that can happen is you fail. so what? i failed at a lot of things. my first record was terrible."
- john mellencamp

"there is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope."- baruch spinoza

"leaders are visionaries with a poorly developed sense of fear and no concept of the odds against them. they make the impossible happen."
-dr. robert jarvik

"the man who fears nothing is as powerful as he who is feared by everybody."- j.c.f. von schiller

"the one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear--fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. what he wants beyond everything else is safety."- h.l. mencken

"the first and great commandment is, don't let them scare you."- elmer davis
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: worry

some negative effects from worrying

"worry affects the circulation, the heart, the glands, the whole nervous system, and profoundly affects the health."- charles w. mayo m.d.

"bacteria and other microorganism find it easier to infect people who worry and fret."- leo rangell

"worry is a god, invisible but omnipotent. it steals the bloom from the cheek and lightness from the pulse, it takes away the appetite, and turns the hair gray."- benjamin disraeli

"worry often gives a small thing a big shadow."- swedish proverb

"if your eyes are blinded with your worries, you cannot see the beauty of the sunset."- krishnamurti
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

worrying is useless

"worry is a funky luxury when a lot has to be done."- melvin peebles

"worry is evidence of an ill-controlled brain; it is merely a stupid waste of time in unpleasantness."- arnold bennett

"it only seems as if you are doing something when you're worrying."- lucy maud montgomery

"a hundredload of worry will not pay an ounce of debt."- george herbert

"when speculation has done its worst, two and two still make four."- samuel johnson
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

worrying is useless continued

"worry is a futile thing, it's somewhat like a rocking chair-although it keeps you occupied, it doesn't get you anywhere."- anonymous

"worry never climbed a hill, worry never paid a bill
worry never dried a tear, never calmed a fear
worry never darned a heel, worry never cooked a meal
it never led a horse to water, nor ever did a thing it 'oughter' "- anonymous

"i am reminded of the advice of my neighbor, 'never worry about your heart 'til it stops beating.' "- e.b. white

"worry is as useless as a handle on a snowball."- mitzi chandler

"which of you by being anxious can add one cubit unto his stature?"- matthew 6:27
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

worry and tomorrow

"cast away care; he that loves sorrow lengthens not a day, nor can he buy tomorrow."- thomas dekker

"there are two days in the week about which and upon whic i never worry...one of these days is yesterday...and the other day i do not worry about is tomorrow."- robert jones burdette

"worry never robs tomorrow of its sorry, but only saps today of it's strength."- a.j. cronin

"be, therefore, not anxious about tomorrow; for tomorrow will be anxious for the things of itself." matthew 6:34
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

worry and work

"if you are doing your best, you will not have time to worry about failure."- robert hillyer

"it is not work that kills men, it is worry. work is healthy; you can hardly put more upon a man that he can bear. worry is rust upon the blade."- henry ward hughes

"no good work is ever done while the heart is hot and anxious and fretted."- olive schreiner

"a day of worry is more exhausting than a day of work."- john lubbock

"the reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work."- robert frost
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

worry and fear

"worry is a form of fear."- bertrand russell

"worry is a complete cycle of inefficient thought revolving about a pivotal fear."- anonymous

"worry is a state of mind based on fear."- napoleon hill

"worry is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. if encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained."
-arthur somers roche
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Good stuff from you Weimy Froob. Keep it coming.
I will be in here more often.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

"It’s so hard for me to sit back here in this studio, looking at a guy out here, hollering my name!—When last year I spent more money, on spilled liquor, in bars from one side of this world to the other, than you made! You’re talking to the Rolex wearing, diamond ring wearing, kiss stealing, woo! wheelin dealin’, limosuine riding, jet flying son of a gun and I’m having a hard time holding these alligators down"

--"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Cobey wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 am "It’s so hard for me to sit back here in this studio, looking at a guy out here, hollering my name!—When last year I spent more money, on spilled liquor, in bars from one side of this world to the other, than you made! You’re talking to the Rolex wearing, diamond ring wearing, kiss stealing, woo! wheelin dealin’, limosuine riding, jet flying son of a gun and I’m having a hard time holding these alligators down"

--"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair

Wow, that is a crazy career life. It would nice to have all that fun but without all the alcohol and drug abuse. It's like rock and roll, you gotta party. Some entertainers get buy relatively sober but props to Ric just like Evel Knievel, Elvis and thousands of others. :thumbsup:

In the meanwhile, let's try to focus in the weimy frube way of thinking.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

ways to ease your worrying

"a problem not worth praying about is not worth worrying about."- anonymous

"as a cure for worrying, work is better than whiskey."- thomas a. edison

"rule no. 1 is don't sweat the small stuff. rule no. 2is, it's all small stuff."- robert eliot

"if only the people who worry about their liabilities would think about the riches they do possess, they would stop worrying. would you sell both your eyes for a million dollar? or you two legs? or your hands? or you hearing? add up what you do have, and you'll find that you won't sell them for all the gold in the world. the best things in life are yours, if you can appreciate yourself."- dale carnegie
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

accepting the worst that can happen

"you'll break the worry habit the day you decide you can meet and master the worse that can happen to you."- arnold glaso

"peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst."- liu yutang

"the worst is not so long as we can say 'this is the worst.' "- william shakespeare

"when you first learn to love hell, you will be in heaven."- thaddeus golas

"a wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat."- louis l'amour
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

most things you worry about never happen

"how much pain they have cost us, the evils which have never happened."- thomas jefferson

"the misfortunes hardest to bear are those which never happen."- james russell lowell

"i remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which never happened.
- sir winston churchill

"i am an old man have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."- mark twain

"if you see ten troubles coming down the road, you can be sure that nine will run into the ditch before they reach you."- calvin coolidge

"the crisis you have to worry about most is the one you don't see coming."- mike mansfield
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

we wrap up worry quotes today.

"happy the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying, once and for all."- ovid

"to be rich is not the end, but only a change, of worries."- epicurus

"what worries you, masters you."- haddon w. robinson

" 'worry' is a word that i don't allow myself to use."- dwight d. eisenhower

"worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due."- william ralph inge

"don't hurry, don't worry. you're only here for a short visit. so be sure to stop and smell the flowers."- walter hagen
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: doubts and uncertainties

uncertainty is part of life

"unrest and uncertainty are our lot."- johann von goethe

"if we insist on being as sure as is conceivable...we must be content to creep along the ground, and can never soar."
-john henry cardinal newman

"our lives are never certain, even for an hour."- ferrant sanchez calavera

"the longing for certainty...is in every human mind. but certainty is generally an illusion."- oliver wendell holmes

"no great deed is done by falterers who ask for certainty."- george eliot
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

uncertainty is part of life continued

"there is nothing certain in a man's life but that he must lose it."- owen meredith

"we can be absolutely certain only about things we do not understand."- eric hoffer

"doubt is not a pleasant state, but certainty is a ridiculous one."- voltaire

"something must be left to chance; nothing is sure in a sea fight."- horatio nelson

"there is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win."- sir ian hamilton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

uncertainty is the only certainty

"there is only one thing about which i am certain, and this is that there is very little about which one can be certain."- w. somerset maugham

"every area of trouble gives out a ray of hope, and the one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."- john f. kennedy

needing certainty can be cowardice

"any coward can fight a battle when he's sure of winning."- george eliot

"the demand for certainty is a sign of weakness."- mark rutherford

"only a weak mind seeks ultimate answers."- agnes thornton
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

demanding certainty can be paralyzing

"he who forecasts all perils will never sail the sea."- anonymous

"there is a time for departure, even when there's no certain place to go."- tennessee williams

"to teach how to live with uncertainty, yet without being paralyzed by hesitation, is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy can do."
- bertrand russell

"faith...acts promptly and boldly on the occasion, on slender evidence."- john henry cardinal newman

"if we wait until we've satisfied all the uncertainties, it may be too late."- lee iacocca
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

"the future is no more uncertain than the present."- walt whitman

"doubt breeds doubt."- franz grillparzer

"doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother."- kahlil gibran

"a man's doubts and fears are his worst enemies."- william wrigley, jr.

"action will remove the doubts that theory cannot solve."- tehyi hsieh

"when in doubt, do it."- oliver wendell holmes, jr.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

we wrap up doubt and uncertainty today.

we mustn't doubt ourselves

"a person who doubts himself is like a man who would enlist in the ranks of his enemies and bear arms against himself."- alexander dumas

"doubt whom you will, but never yourself."- christian bovee

focus on the positive aspects of uncertainty

"the quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers."- eric fromm

"i'm delighted that the future is unsure. that's the way it should be."- william sloane coffin

"when we are not sure, we are alive."- graham greene
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a new chapter: security

security doesn't exist

"security is mostly superstition. it does not exist in nature."- helen keller

"security is a false god; begin making sacrifices to it and you are lost."- paul bowles

"if you want total security, go to prison. there you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. the only thing lacking...is freedom."
-dwight d. eisenhower

"happiness, greatness, pride--nothing is secure, nothing keeps."- euripides

"there is no security on this earth. only opportunity."- general douglas macarthur
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

safety isn't security

" 'safety first' has been the motto of the human race for half a million years; but it has never been the motto of leaders."- anonymous

"it is the risk element which ensures security. risk brings out the ingenuity and resourcefulness which insure success."- robert rawls

"we are never more in danger than when we think ourselves most secure, nor in reality more secure than when we seem to be most in danger."- willliam cowper

"it is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity."- dag hammarskjold

"to keep oneself safe does not mean to bury oneself."- marcus annaeus seneca

"the way to be safe is never to be secure."- benjamin franklin
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

security and money

"if money is your hope for independence you will never have it. the only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability."- henry ford

"our greatest illusion is reliance upon the security and permanence of material possessions. we must search for some other coin."- john cudahy

"solvency is entirely a matter of temperament, not of income." logan pearsall smith

"security depends not so much upon how much you have, as upon how much you can do without."- joseph wood krutch
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

sources of security

"security can only be achieved through constant change, through discarding old ideas that have outlived their usefulness and adapting others to current facts."- william o. douglas

"the only peace, the only security, is in fulfillment."- henry miller

"only in growth, reform, and change, paradoxically enough, is true security found."- anne morrow lindbergh

"security is not the absence of danger, but the presence of God, no matter what the danger."- anonymous

"i'm in love with the potential of miracles. for me, the safest place is out on a limb."- shirley maclaine
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

you are your own security

"man's security comes from within himself."- manly hall

"you are all you will ever have for certain."- june havoc

"your real security is yourself. you know you can do it, and they can't ever take that away from you."- mae west

"only those means of security are good, are certain, are lasting, that depend on yourself and your own vigor."
- niccolo machiavelli

"no one can build her security upon the nobleness of another person."- willa cather
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

lack of security can be a good thing

"uncertainty and expectation are the joys of life. security is an insipid thing."- william congreve

"to be on the alert is to live; to be lulled into security is to die."- oscar wilde

"prudence keeps life safe, but does not often make it happy."- samuel johnson

"security is a kind of death."- tennessee williams

"nerves provide me with energy...it's when i don't have them, when i feel at ease, that i get worried."- mike nichols

"without danger we cannot get by danger."- dr. harold w. dodds