Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Ben Askren

-Jaymo-

Ben Askren

Post by -Jaymo- »

Tommy_Hawk

Re: Ben Askren

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Bummer. I was most hyped about this fight. Jorge is a bad man tho.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

I'd imagine this went down a lot like it would if I (or any of you) were to step into the cage with any of these guys. It was an amazing 5 seconds of fighting. The celebration was a bit uncalled for but I lol'd.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

B-Town wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:54 pm I'd imagine this went down a lot like it would if I (or any of you) were to step into the cage with any of these guys. It was an amazing 5 seconds of fighting. The celebration was a bit uncalled for but I lol'd.
Askren is a notorious shit talker, and I think Masvidal took it a bit...personally.
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

Masvidal had been practicing that opening move and his coach texted Dustin Poirier the night before telling him he was going to do it.

Crazy how it worked that well.

And yes, Askren ran his mouth pretty much non-stop. It started with McGregor v Aldo, the trash talking getting super personal, i.e., family/religion/race etc. Askren paid the price for it this time receiving a few extra shots to the noggin. Doubt he felt them though.....
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

-Jaymo- wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 pm Masvidal had been practicing that opening move and his coach texted Dustin Poirier the night before telling him he was going to do it.

Crazy how it worked that well.

And yes, Askren ran his mouth pretty much non-stop. It started with McGregor v Aldo, the trash talking getting super personal, i.e., family/religion/race etc. Askren paid the price for it this time receiving a few extra shots to the noggin. Doubt he felt them though.....
It worked perfectly. It looked to me like Askren was attempting to shoot the leg as he was getting a knee to the dome. Masvidal must have seen some kind of tendency in Askren's game.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

After the comments you guys made about Askren, I read a little more about the lead up to the fight. I was totally wrong. Screw that guy. He deserved all of the extra shots and mockery that he got.

Stup up, Abe!
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

B-Town wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 am After the comments you guys made about Askren, I read a little more about the lead up to the fight. I was totally wrong. Screw that guy. He deserved all of the extra shots and mockery that he got.
He's an over-hyped douche.

Has fought cans his entire career. Comes into the UFC expecting the world. Should have lost to Robbie Lawler via KTFO then did get KTFO in 5 embarrassing seconds.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

B-Town wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 am After the comments you guys made about Askren, I read a little more about the lead up to the fight. I was totally wrong. Screw that guy. He deserved all of the extra shots and mockery that he got.
Eh...shit talking sells fights. It's the Ric Flair approach to things.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Cobey wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:21 pm
Eh...shit talking sells fights. It's the Ric Flair approach to things.
It does, but there's a line that you can't cross unless it's super obvious that you're just trolling. Chael Sonnen is a great example. He said stuff about other fighters, Brazilian culture, etc., that should have gotten him killed. The reason it didn't is because he was so over the top, in every situation, that nobody took him seriously.

Stup up, Abe!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I like both fighters, and both fighters' personalities/personas. Masvidal was fortunate he connected with the knee because Askren isn't an easy victory, the same way Connor is fortunate he got Aldo early. That doesn't mean the outcomes would be different, just they saved themselves for more future fights not taking catastrophic damage.

The best part of UFC/MMA is there are consequences for your actions. If you troll too hard, and cant back it up, things work themselves out naturally.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

I think Askren is funny and I've always liked Masvidal. Wanted to see a better fight. So Ben is now 0-2 ( cause Lawler tossed him around before the dumb stoppage ). If he loses again it's going to be hard to care about him.

Jorge should fight Edwards. That doesn't need much in the way of build up.
-

Got Root?