Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***AEW***

Tony Bongwater

***AEW***

Post by Tony Bongwater »

Great first PPV. Literally redefined the genre. Theres not an honest worker in "sports entertainment " that isnt interested in some old school "wrestling".

Vince is fucked.
Slava Ukrijina πŸ’™πŸ’›πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦πŸ’™πŸ’›
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: ***AEW***

Post by HeHateMe »

Saw they just sold out another show in about 10 minutes. Less is more... they know that, right?
thinktank wrote: ↑Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK

Post by FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK »

Cant wait til October and Watch AEW ON TV!!
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

I just watched fyter fest. My God they need to end that fucking librarian gimmick, I dont ever wanna see michael nakazawa again, and somebody, anybody needs to take creative away from the goddamn young bucks and Kenny and put it all in Cody Rhodes hands.

Darby allin was surprisingly good. Again Cody's match was the best of the night. Private Party just put their stake in the ground as a wonderful new tag team (that top rope frankensteiner into a diamond cutter tag team move is made to print money) and of course MJF is already a wrestling god at 23 years old.

Here's the best heel promo I've seen in years. (The card was at a video game convention)
https://youtu.be/kC1mjDRSDAo

And here's the best backstage interview I've seen in years.
https://youtu.be/hKqVR4hHbMM

Both MJF.
FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK

mjf is a great heel!!! He can defintley talk he is fun to hate no doubt about that!!
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK wrote: ↑Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:33 pm mjf is a great heel!!! He can defintley talk he is fun to hate no doubt about that!!
Old school heat. Great to even see it.

Alive and well.

Theres something timeless about that cat...
FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK

Tony Bongwater wrote: ↑Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:50 pm
FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK wrote: ↑Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:33 pm mjf is a great heel!!! He can defintley talk he is fun to hate no doubt about that!!
Old school heat. Great to even see it.

Alive and well.

Theres something timeless about that cat...
Couldn't agree more
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

The promos from Tully at the beginning (btw, this is how you do nastalgia) and Moxley at the end are fricking awesome. Tully still comes of like a viper wound to strike, except now hes got the old villian you thought died long ago vibe. And Moxley has just plain gone to another level. Never knew he was this good (his NJPW run has been amazing lately, hes essentially kicking the shit out of everyone, having the best matches of his career and has kidnapped a trainee he beat up and is forcing to be his protege... still makes me smile)

Road to All Out, Episode 2.

https://youtu.be/dq0t8bfb3aY
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

Btw, All Out was worth every cent. From the much better organized female battle royal, to Private Party breaking the mold while doing things no ones ever seen. To luchasaurus suddenly being the best hot tag in the industry to omega vs pac being epic.

That was the under card.

Then we had Cody vs Shawn with Tully putting on a heel manager clinic that would make Jim Cornette and Bobby Heenan blush to "the enforcer" AA with a great pop. That match was divine.

Then the Young Bucks and Lucha Brothers put on a ladder (escuela de la muerte.. stairway to death) match that broke everything before it. Even these 4 were astonished they werent in the hospital. Followed by LAX making their AEW debut. If you dont know, you better go watch it. Fucking brutal.

This company is not joking, and TK aint Dixie Carter.

Highlights.

Bucks vs lucha bros.
https://youtu.be/2OrQGm-GcTo

Cody vs shawn spears
https://youtu.be/DHIN_KiJZoI

Omega vs "The Bastard" Pac. (Adrian Neville from WWE)
https://youtu.be/sU1UfzNUqq4
Last edited by Tony Bongwater on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK

How about Jericho losing the AEW BELT OOOPSY!!!
j2j

Post by j2j »

FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK wrote: ↑Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:09 pm How about Jericho losing the AEW BELT OOOPSY!!!
That HAS to be a work, right?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

j2j wrote: ↑Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:39 am
FLYING_FINN'SSIDEKICK wrote: ↑Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:09 pm How about Jericho losing the AEW BELT OOOPSY!!!
That HAS to be a work, right?
They found it. Someone turned it in after "finding it on the side of the road".. presumably put it on Ebay as a replica until the world informed him....

Meanwhile... Jericho got himself and "the bubbly" over as he sat in a hot tub and demanded an investigation equal to that of Marcellus Wallace briefcase in pulp fiction. Then claimed it was because of him it was found.

Fucking cody is a genius.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

:lol: they stole Kevin Sullivan from Impact, and he took most of the production team with him :shock:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fightf ... ling%3famp
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I haven't watched rasslin' in years. The WWE just got too damn corny. Is this giving a shot to? I see they got a TV deal.
Let's get Tropical
j2j

Post by j2j »

Watching Dynamite. Some nostalgia going on, but overall it's just ok.

Nyla Rose vs Riho was an absolute, unbelievable trainwreck. SJWs on Twitter love it, but ultimately it was shit. Didn't hold a candle to WWE.

Cody vs Sammy was decent.

Moxley vs Omega fight shows great potential. I was a huge Dean Ambrose fan.

The pyrotechnics and intro music were terrible. They'd be better off skipping the fireworks if a backyard display is the best they can do.

Looking forward to seeing where the promotion goes.

j2j

Post by j2j »

Missed opportunity not getting Jericho to shoot a full promo. He's one of the best in the world on the mic. Should have taken advantage of that on night 1.

MJF seems like a Curt Hennig or Rick Rude clone.

Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

j2j wrote: ↑Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:50 pm Watching Dynamite. Some nostalgia going on, but overall it's just ok.

Nyla Rose vs Riho was an absolute, unbelievable trainwreck. SJWs on Twitter love it, but ultimately it was shit. Didn't hold a candle to WWE.

Cody vs Sammy was decent.

Moxley vs Omega fight shows great potential. I was a huge Dean Ambrose fan.

The pyrotechnics and intro music were terrible. They'd be better off skipping the fireworks if a backyard display is the best they can do.

Looking forward to seeing where the promotion goes.
Agree with everything. The Rose/Riho was complete garbage. Whoever the small gal is...terrible.

A bit rough on the announcing part as well.
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

I'm a little more forgiving because I havent been a fan for like 18 years until this stuff started.

The cody match was a perfect curtain jerker. The most beloved guy against an up and comer they evidently have big plans for. Sammy can do all the good stuff, but needs seasoning on in ring work. Cody was a perfect match. Sammy showed himself off, and Cody made a story of it. Loved it. Keep in mind that Sammy shook his hand.

Cutler vs MJF was a squash match. They need more MJF... like everywhere.

Page vs Pac ought to be a PPV thing. They didnt have the time to really tell the story they should have. Not bad, but they didnt work it for television... this will be a recurring problem.

Riho vs Nyla proves booking if the womens division should be taken out of Omegas hands.

Now the good stuff....

The Moxley putting Kenny through a glass table, Young Bucks rolling with it 2 on 3, Ortiz and Santana breaking people down, Cody coming to help, sammy coming with the ball breaker, followed by dustin fucking everyone over followed by Jake fucking Hager putting everyone on notice as AEW's first real faction is born... or Jericho once again reinventing himself, this time as an old school 80's heel. ... good stuff.

Fucking Bravo boys, Fucking Bravo!!
Just like WCW.
j2j

Post by j2j »

I watched NXT the next day and the girls on NXT are worlds better wrestlers than the garbage we've seen on AEW so far.

AEW had potential on the men's side, but I think NXT was better last week.

Need to see Jerico, Moxley, Cody, Page, Omega, Daniels, MJF, and PAC need to carry storylines. Darby and Havoc seem like they'd be a good tag team.

There's like zero size on the roster. Not saying you need to load up on high oafs, but there has to be someone intimidating for wrestlers to overcome.

j2j

Post by j2j »

And while I love Jericho, this Inner Circle shit looks like they just drew 4 other random names out of a hat. Jack Swagger looks like a buffoon in those polos.

Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

j2j wrote: ↑Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:06 pm And while I love Jericho, this Inner Circle shit looks like they just drew 4 other random names out of a hat. Jack Swagger looks like a buffoon in those polos.
Disagree. Swagger was obscenely misused by the WWE. Ortiz and Santana are "indie darlings". They actuly are very good, and are a huge get for AEW, as they were in a bidding war for them with WWE. Guevarra is green, rely green... but hes got immeasurable talent and that punchable fucking face that makes a great heel.

Are they all cast perfectly as jerichos faction... probably not. Do I believe these guys hang out together? No. but do they check every mark in kayfabe? yes. And is it a great way to pair your ace with different level guys that can learn a shit ton from a legend? Yes!!

Star leader.. check
Dominant tag team... check
Young up and comer.. check
Enforcer.. check

It's not the greatest name, but jericho got a piece of paper so far over it was the highlight of raw every week for 6 months. I'll wait to see what the magician can do with these guys.

Give them a minute. Never before has a brand new promotion been expected to instantly take over the biggest promotion.

Let Dustys kids work for a minute.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Tony Bongwater wrote: ↑Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:00 pm
j2j wrote: ↑Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:06 pm And while I love Jericho, this Inner Circle shit looks like they just drew 4 other random names out of a hat. Jack Swagger looks like a buffoon in those polos.
Disagree. Swagger was obscenely misused by the WWE. Ortiz and Santana are "indie darlings". They actuly are very good, and are a huge get for AEW, as they were in a bidding war for them with WWE. Guevarra is green, rely green... but hes got immeasurable talent and that punchable fucking face that makes a great heel.

Are they all cast perfectly as jerichos faction... probably not. Do I believe these guys hang out together? No. but do they check every mark in kayfabe? yes. And is it a great way to pair your ace with different level guys that can learn a shit ton from a legend? Yes!!

Star leader.. check
Dominant tag team... check
Young up and comer.. check
Enforcer.. check

It's not the greatest name, but jericho got a piece of paper so far over it was the highlight of raw every week for 6 months. I'll wait to see what the magician can do with these guys.

Give them a minute. Never before has a brand new promotion been expected to instantly take over the biggest promotion.

Let Dustys kids work for a minute.
I'm not expecting them to take over WWE, it's not going to happen. And I was a big WCW guy.

But they don't look like the belong together, even if they all have talent. Swagger's tough guy frat boy gimmick does nothing for me.

Ortiz and Santana have talent, I'd prefer to see them on their own.

Look at Undisputed Era, they look like they belong together. DX, 4 Horsemen, Evolution, The OC, Heenan Family, Fabulous Freebirds... They all made sense together.

I'm hopeful AEW works out, but despite watching AEW live and NXT later on, I find myself more excited about NXT so far.

Though give me Moxley vs Omega over anything. Need more Finn Balor too.

j2j

Post by j2j »

This shit tonight is brutally bad. Other than Mox/PAC v Omega/Hangman, the rest has been unwatchable.

edit: ok, Jericho v Darby ended up kind of interesting.

HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I think it's cool having Ross/Schivanone on the announce team. First wrestling I ever watched was WCW in the early 90s with Flyin' Brian Pillman. I follow this company more on the sidelines versus watching but I saw a clip of MJF yesterday and he's incredible on the mic. They need more of that.

A lot of the card are guys who should be in ROH or TNA versus on TNT but the main group are studs. Moxley, Omega, Jericho, Cody, Youngbucks.. all studs, they are guys who would be at the top in WWE. They were top in New Japan. They need some time though to bring some of the guys over from WWE who are unhappy and mix with the top talent in the world the average fan hasn't seen. Would be awesome to get them working with New Japan on a consistent basis. Tons of talent in that company that people over here need to do (from what I've read, can't say I've seen a lot of these guys).
thinktank wrote: ↑Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

HeHateMe wrote: ↑Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:59 pm I think it's cool having Ross/Schivanone on the announce team. First wrestling I ever watched was WCW in the early 90s with Flyin' Brian Pillman. I follow this company more on the sidelines versus watching but I saw a clip of MJF yesterday and he's incredible on the mic. They need more of that.

A lot of the card are guys who should be in ROH or TNA versus on TNT but the main group are studs. Moxley, Omega, Jericho, Cody, Youngbucks.. all studs, they are guys who would be at the top in WWE. They were top in New Japan. They need some time though to bring some of the guys over from WWE who are unhappy and mix with the top talent in the world the average fan hasn't seen. Would be awesome to get them working with New Japan on a consistent basis. Tons of talent in that company that people over here need to do (from what I've read, can't say I've seen a lot of these guys).
]
Agreed. They need time, but they are bringing back a product I'm interested in. I havent given a crap about this industry for 20 years, yet I'm interested.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Ross and Schiavone are awesome. The main card type guys are a blast. But they have some shit that's just brutal. I love that the guys are basically telling their own story.

Moxley is phenomenal. I miss his smart ass gimmick from wwe, not the nonsensical shit though. Balance the bad ass with the wise ass.

Swagger/Hager/PoloBoy is trash.

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

It’s cool to be excited to watch wrestling for the first time in years. Jericho is doing stuff he could never do in WWE and his rivalry with Cody is well done so far. Ross and Tony are great. Not just for nostalgia either. Some of the matches are brutal to watch and need to be better but overall I’ve enjoyed the first 3 shows. WWE is a fucking disaster right now.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

The entire thing is essentially WCW 20 years later. Looks like it. Feels like it, but a bit more extreme. And if you know your WCW history I assure you not every match was flair vs sting. Many more were Johnny B Bad Vs a green as hell DDP. Or you know...the Yetay or shockmaster.

If they can keep the storylines simple and effective while spending the next year adding the revival, sasha banks, Luke Harper, etc... theyll be fine. Or at the very least... fucking awesome.

Especially if they keep letting Cody run "the best of Dusty" as a booker. Fucker's brilliant. Like a writer that majored in classical literature.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Where'd WCW end up? Putting shit like Rigo, Nyla Rose, Marko Stunt in the ring are like watching David Flair, Ernest Miller, and Johnny B Badd. Just garbage. Nxt's women's division is better than AEW's right now. Long ways to go.

I like Cody, but I'm not seeing anything special. Thankfully none of their stars are doing shit like this Rusev/Lashley angle, though. This is super bad. Just trash. Plus Lana is uglier than fuck.

Randy Orton posted an AEW reference on Instagram today. I'd love to see him there.

Hopefully Drew McIntyre is used now that he's back. He received high praise from former stars. I want to see more of a Triple H mindset when he was The Game.

They're fucking up this Rollins/Fiend angle.

There's almost too much going on, too many guys elevated, and angles are played out too fast, while having some others drag out. No one gives a shit about "Shorty G". Having him wrestle Baron Corbin 18 times was brutal.

B Team and Revival are a few others that could just go away and no one would notice. Maybe them moving to AEW would be better for everyone.

Curious how the women's division will do on Smackdown. Some faces will have to emerge. Nikki Cross is a start, Dana Brooke should be solid.

Buddy Murphy needs more play.

Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

j2j wrote: ↑Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:19 pm Where'd WCW end up? Putting shit like Rigo, Nyla Rose, Marko Stunt in the ring are like watching David Flair, Ernest Miller, and Johnny B Badd. Just garbage. Nxt's women's division is better than AEW's right now. Long ways to go.

I like Cody, but I'm not seeing anything special. Thankfully none of their stars are doing shit like this Rusev/Lashley angle, though. This is super bad. Just trash. Plus Lana is uglier than fuck.

Randy Orton posted an AEW reference on Instagram today. I'd love to see him there.

Hopefully Drew McIntyre is used now that he's back. He received high praise from former stars. I want to see more of a Triple H mindset when he was The Game.

They're fucking up this Rollins/Fiend angle.

There's almost too much going on, too many guys elevated, and angles are played out too fast, while having some others drag out. No one gives a shit about "Shorty G". Having him wrestle Baron Corbin 18 times was brutal.

B Team and Revival are a few others that could just go away and no one would notice. Maybe them moving to AEW would be better for everyone.

Curious how the women's division will do on Smackdown. Some faces will have to emerge. Nikki Cross is a start, Dana Brooke should be solid.

Buddy Murphy needs more play.
The revival are a perfect fit in AEW and theyll be there along with Rusev, sasha banks, Luke Harper and EC3 whenever they can. All those are doing the ambrose and just counting the days.

WCW ended up where it was because of terrible fucking decisions that would kill WWE itself. They had 2 years of good stuff surrounded by long term parenthesis of fucking terrible decision after terrible decision.

Just go watch the OSW episode I posted and you'll see how fucking clueless they were just 9 months before the NWO. then check anything after 98... fucking embarrasing.... for that kind of organization. As bischoff would say "I dont think it's any of our faults. I was too naive, Kevin Sullivan was on way too much smack, and Hogan was never an intellectual". Priceless.

The womens division in AEW is shit. As Cornette said "omega (who's booking the womens division) has a Japanese tentacle porn addiction so we all have to suffer". It's terrible. No doubt.

I'm a full on Dusty Rhodes mark so I'm all in on Cody (who's had great matches honestly) and if you check the YouTube channels and what they're doing it makes more sense. At this point I'd watch a dustin and Cody vs... match before anything...

Except jericho. I fucking love Jericho.

I'm just not into what Vince is doing right now (or really ever). Its embarrassing to have that much talent and have no fucking clue what to do with it. So I wont watch( and honestly haven't watched any of it for 20 years, but this just got interesting) This is the guy that should know better, but hes always been a twat (Vince).