Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Camping Froobs - Suggestions for Locations

Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Camping Froobs - Suggestions for Locations

Post by Mandatory »

Any folks that do regular camping? And I should clarify, while I love the idea of really getting out there and testing your mettle, in this case I'm talking more along the lines of "glam camping". Just looking for nice campgrounds where you can pitch a tent, have a fire and eat some food/drink some brews.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Hector

Re: Camping Froobs - Suggestions for Locations

Post by Hector »

The state run campgrounds are non alcoholic but seem to offer a variety of activities from biking, hiking, fishing, swimming, paddle boarding etc. and McCarthy is one of my favorites- best beach in Minnesota, kayaking paddle boarding, not far from the Mesabi bike trail and a couple of decent eateries nearby including the infamous Bimbo's Octagon.

If you want to have a one stop camping experience that is bustling with activities try a KOA...my favorite, so far is Palmer's Gulch in the Black Hills which is resort like and has a bar and grill on site along with another restaurant...Hayward KOA is also nice but geared more toward families with kids but Minnesota has some nice ones also but they're dialed down a bit more..I'm trying West Yellowstone KOA in a few days after I finish visiting family in Utah and California and will give feedback on that.

If you want to try some remote camping (not many people are cut out for this) where you can paddle a kayak/canoe to, set up a hammock tent and enjoy time by yourself or with a significant other I'd highly recommend a book called Paddle Minnesota. It maps out rivers, maps out rapids and the grades (very important ๐Ÿ™‚) of the rapids, where you have to get out and portage, and remote campsites along the way. If you don't ever do that, you should at least buy the book just for the shear badassery of it. It's a great conversation piece if left on your coffee table.

I don't camp much around the cities, I really like to change up my scenery when I want to get away but I'm sure you can find something close if you don't want to go far.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Hector wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 am The state run campgrounds are non alcoholic but seem to offer a variety of activities from biking, hiking, fishing, swimming, paddle boarding etc. and McCarthy is one of my favorites- best beach in Minnesota, kayaking paddle boarding, not far from the Mesabi bike trail and a couple of decent eateries nearby including the infamous Bimbo's Octagon.

If you want to have a one stop camping experience that is bustling with activities try a KOA...my favorite, so far is Palmer's Gulch in the Black Hills which is resort like and has a bar and grill on site along with another restaurant...Hayward KOA is also nice but geared more toward families with kids but Minnesota has some nice ones also but they're dialed down a bit more..I'm trying West Yellowstone KOA in a few days after I finish visiting family in Utah and California and will give feedback on that.

If you want to try some remote camping (not many people are cut out for this) where you can paddle a kayak/canoe to, set up a hammock tent and enjoy time by yourself or with a significant other I'd highly recommend a book called Paddle Minnesota. It maps out rivers, maps out rapids and the grades (very important ๐Ÿ™‚) of the rapids, where you have to get out and portage, and remote campsites along the way. If you don't ever do that, you should at least buy the book just for the shear badassery of it. It's a great conversation piece if left on your coffee table.

I don't camp much around the cities, I really like to change up my scenery when I want to get away but I'm sure you can find something close if you don't want to go far.
Thanks brother. I did some more intense camping in my younger years, when I was in Scouting. It's been probably about 15 years since I've been out and I'd love to test out some of the camping gear I still have just sitting in the garage. Frankly though I'm looking for something a little slower paced, where you're basically camping out of the back of your truck. This is all great advice! Thanks!

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Thanks weimy! I've bookmarked your link and looking at it now!

#BaltimoreStrong
Hector

Post by Hector »

Mandatory wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:28 am
Hector wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 am The state run campgrounds are non alcoholic but seem to offer a variety of activities from biking, hiking, fishing, swimming, paddle boarding etc. and McCarthy is one of my favorites- best beach in Minnesota, kayaking paddle boarding, not far from the Mesabi bike trail and a couple of decent eateries nearby including the infamous Bimbo's Octagon.

Thanks brother. I did some more intense camping in my younger years, when I was in Scouting. It's been probably about 15 years since I've been out and I'd love to test out some of the camping gear I still have just sitting in the garage. Frankly though I'm looking for something a little slower paced, where you're basically camping out of the back of your truck. This is all great advice! Thanks!
Hey, no problem. You might want to check out Whitewater then.