Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Do you compost?

Mirabelle

Do you compost?

Post by Mirabelle »

If so can you tell me about it? Positives, negatives? Does it attract rodents and smell to high hell? Share your exploits.
TrueBlue

Re: Do you compost?

Post by TrueBlue »

No.
Spoiler:
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

No, but I do keep my organic garbage out of my regular garbage. I hate the smell of rotting peels mixed with coffee grounds in my garbage, so I'll usually wrap my peels, bones, cobs, and other organics in newspaper and throw them away every day.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

yeah. There is concrete slab behind the garage. We dump anything yard/garden related back there. Gal puts some scrapes out there from time to time.
I stir it up a couple of times each year and with out much effort get a couple of wheelbarrows of product out each spring.
I could really sift it down to 2 more if I wanted to, but leaving some in the new pile is good. Then it starts all over.
It does not stink. The new product gets mixed in with all the flower pot soil that is stored in bins during the winter.
Gal has a flower pot collection that just went over 40 I think, so it saves a few bucks on what we have to buy each spring to fill them all back up. w
Mirabelle

Post by Mirabelle »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:35 am yeah. There is concrete slab behind the garage. We dump anything yard/garden related back there. Gal puts some scrapes out there from time to time.
I stir it up a couple of times each year and with out much effort get a couple of wheelbarrows of product out each spring.
I could really sift it down to 2 more if I wanted to, but leaving some in the new pile is good. Then it starts all over.
It does not stink. The new product gets mixed in with all the flower pot soil that is stored in bins during the winter.
Gal has a flower pot collection that just went over 40 I think, so it saves a few bucks on what we have to buy each spring to fill them all back up. w
Nice, sounds like a good set up.
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

City of Minneapolis takes away my compost. Works great.