Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Any outdoor cyclers?

Mirabelle

Any outdoor cyclers?

Post by Mirabelle »

Any outdoor cyclers here? On a road this weekend traveling 50 mph+ watching people whiz past people biking on a narrow shoulder... HOW do you relax enough to bike like that?

Do you just come to terms with the fact that if you die at least you’re doing something you love? I have the utmost respect, I would need a xanax to even think about attempting that.
Hector

Re: Any outdoor cyclers?

Post by Hector »

Not much of a fan of the narrow shoulder but do a fair amount of riding along a busy highway. I also put on 40-60 miles a week on my stationary bike because of a torn piriformace muscle in my rear but have to get outside to break up the monotony and it's not always convenient to load up my bike to go riding after work on a trail.
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Hells yeah I'm an outdoor biker. I put on 500 miles on my hybrid bike so far this year, and another 100 on my new mountain bike. I did a 42 mile excursion yesterday, the longest of the year so far.

I try to avoid narrow shoulders as much as I can, especially on busy streets. If there's a sidewalk nearby I'll use that, otherwise I'll find an alternative route. I'm no long distance, spandex wearing, Lance Armstrong out there and I'm aware that cars win the 'car vs. bicyclist' battle every time. I do a lot of city riding, which means my head is on a swivel at all times. There's nothing more satisfying than making eye contact with a driver, knowing that you both see each other. We're all in this together out there on the roads.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I think today I'm going to take the mountain bike out and ride the 5-6 miles to Theodore Wirth to try my hand on some actual trails. I need to prepare for a biking trip out to Montana at the end of June. If I don't report back, call authorities to look for me off a steep gully or the bottom of a hill.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i just went for a nice 70 minute ride. bike trail the whole way, homie.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Well, I rode by Theodore Wirth today and got about 20 feet into a trail before I said F this S. Wound up going past all that and rode 36.5 miles today. I kept going past TW and wound up at the lake formerly known as Calhoun and did a lap around that, then too the Green parkway (I think that's what it's called) down to Park ave and took that through downtown down across the stone arch bridge, meandered over the the St. Anthony falls part and got a close up look at that. Then came back. Such a great day for a ride

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:00 pm i just went for a nice 70 minute ride. bike trail the whole way, homie.
Must've gotten a good 15 miles in, depending on how you ride. :thumbsup:

Mirabelle

Post by Mirabelle »

weimy froob wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:00 pm i just went for a nice 70 minute ride. bike trail the whole way, homie.
This is the way I like it.
Mirabelle

Post by Mirabelle »

Night Train wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:22 pm Well, I rode by Theodore Wirth today and got about 20 feet into a trail before I said F this S. Wound up going past all that and rode 36.5 miles today. I kept going past TW and wound up at the lake formerly known as Calhoun and did a lap around that, then too the Green parkway (I think that's what it's called) down to Park ave and took that through downtown down across the stone arch bridge, meandered over the the St. Anthony falls part and got a close up look at that. Then came back. Such a great day for a ride
It was the perfect day/evening for bike riding, way to take advantage!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:25 pm
Must've gotten a good 15 miles in, depending on how you ride. :thumbsup:
:lol: don't think so. that'd be less than five minutes a mile-and this bike is built for comfort not for speed. and i'm old. probably around 12 miles-but i also took the dog out to the pheasant land in the morning for a 75 minute walk-so i got my exercise yesterday. and the bike ride was smooth and relaxing.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Mirabelle wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:23 pm
This is the way I like it.
:thumbsup:
t_wrex
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2019***

Post by t_wrex »

I WAS SUPER EXCITED TO BIKE FROM CHASKA TO EDEN PRAIRIE BUT THEN I FOUND OUT THAT THE GODDAMN 2014 MUDSLIDES COMPLETELY FUCKED UP THE REGIONAL TRAIL OUT HERE. NOW THEY EXPECT US TO TAKE THE SHOULDER ON A BUSY ASS STREET AND I SAY FUCK THAT.

FIVE YEARS AGO AND NOT A GODDAMN SOLUTION OR ANY RAY OF HOPE OR UPDATE AT ALL WHATSOEVER.

FUCKIN HATE THE GOVERNMENT THEY SUCK AT EVERYTHING!!!!!
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:56 am Teh Tube endorses t wrex on his journey to sobriety moderation! We are all rooting for you!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Night Train wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:08 am Hells yeah I'm an outdoor biker. I put on 500 miles on my hybrid bike so far this year, and another 100 on my new mountain bike. I did a 42 mile excursion yesterday, the longest of the year so far.

I try to avoid narrow shoulders as much as I can, especially on busy streets. If there's a sidewalk nearby I'll use that, otherwise I'll find an alternative route. I'm no long distance, spandex wearing, Lance Armstrong out there and I'm aware that cars win the 'car vs. bicyclist' battle every time. I do a lot of city riding, which means my head is on a swivel at all times. There's nothing more satisfying than making eye contact with a driver, knowing that you both see each other. We're all in this together out there on the roads.
That's a good haul...I'm trying to coordinate a complete Paul Bunyan trail -one day shoot (106 miles). I've been on parts of it and think I can do it in about 8 hours-ish.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Did a lot of outdoor cycling around the ol' hometown this past weekend, even getting in a couple night rides. In order to get my miles in, I had to do a lot of riding out in the country and man do the plains get windy down there.

The night riding was fun. I don't normally ride at night in the cities, but it's pretty safe down there.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Hector wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:38 pm
Night Train wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:08 am Hells yeah I'm an outdoor biker. I put on 500 miles on my hybrid bike so far this year, and another 100 on my new mountain bike. I did a 42 mile excursion yesterday, the longest of the year so far.

That's a good haul...I'm trying to coordinate a complete Paul Bunyan trail -one day shoot (106 miles). I've been on parts of it and think I can do it in about 8 hours-ish.
106 miles in a day seems unattainable to me. What kind of bikes do you use for those? Road bikes, hybrids, straight up mountain bikes? Do drop down bars make long distances easier?

Hector

Post by Hector »

Night Train wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:19 am

106 miles in a day seems unattainable to me. What kind of bikes do you use for those? Road bikes, hybrids, straight up mountain bikes? Do drop down bars make long distances easier?
I have a Trek hybrid with straight bars (never been a fan of drop bars) that is closer to a road bike but can take some gravel. It has very narrow tires which cut down on resistance...just had a friend do over 100 on a straight up road bike in 6:47 minutes that backs it up with a screen shot of his bikes navigation.

We'll see if I even get a chance to attempt it, busy beginning to the summer ☀️
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Hector wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:18 pm

I have a Trek hybrid with straight bars (never been a fan of drop bars) that is closer to a road bike but can take some gravel. It has very narrow tires which cut down on resistance...just had a friend do over 100 on a straight up road bike in 6:47 minutes that backs it up with a screen shot of his bikes navigation.

Cool. I have a Trek hybrid too, a Verve 3. I put skinnier tires on a couple weeks ago and it's made a big difference.

Thinking about it last night, I did 35 miles yesterday pretty easily, with a lot of breaks along the way but nonetheless. So I assume these 100 miles rides aren't all non-stop excursions, you do stop and rest a lot along the way, no?

Hector

Post by Hector »

Night Train wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:55 am

Cool. I have a Trek hybrid too, a Verve 3. I put skinnier tires on a couple weeks ago and it's made a big difference.

Thinking about it last night, I did 35 miles yesterday pretty easily, with a lot of breaks along the way but nonetheless. So I assume these 100 miles rides aren't all non-stop excursions, you do stop and rest a lot along the way, no?
Nice, I pondered that bike but went with the dual sport 3...it just seems a little more geared for the type of riding I do.

I'm just guessing I can go 100 mile in 8ish hours (limited breaks) I really haven't ridden that far but put on several miles a week. It may take much longer.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hector wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:38 pm

Nice, I pondered that bike but went with the dual sport 3...it just seems a little more geared for the type of riding I do.

I'm just guessing I can go 100 mile in 8ish hours (limited breaks) I really haven't ridden that far but put on several miles a week. It may take much longer.
what are you thinking about for the return trip?
Hector

Post by Hector »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:44 pm

My wife has family in Park Rapids, so she would just pick me up in Brainerd...
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hector wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:16 am
weimy froob wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:44 pm

My wife has family in Park Rapids, so she would just pick me up in Brainerd...
for some reason i had you heading north-not that it matters.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I actually hit some trails at Theodore Wirth yesterday afternoon, they're not as bad as I was thinking they were the first time I attempted it. My pedal took a nice gauge out of my shin but I pressed on and think I'll be ready for my biking trip out to Montana in a couple weeks. We're going to hit Big Sky bike park one day, then bike around the other two-three days on some nice trails that my cousin knows around Bozeman. I'm excited and a little nervous too.

15 more miles today will put me over 150 for the week since last Monday.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I passed 1000 miles for the year so far last night. Just in time for my trip out to Montana next week to visit Big Sky bike park and to bike around the Bozeman area and the headwaters of the Missouri River. Then on the way back I'm going to stay in Dickinson and bike a portion of the Maah Daah Hey Trail one day, then bike around Theodore Roosevelt NP the other day. :naners:

Hector

Post by Hector »

Night Train wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:36 am I passed 1000 miles for the year so far last night. Just in time for my trip out to Montana next week to visit Big Sky bike park and to bike around the Bozeman area and the headwaters of the Missouri River. Then on the way back I'm going to stay in Dickinson and bike a portion of the Maah Daah Hey Trail one day, then bike around Theodore Roosevelt NP the other day. :naners:
I just came through Bozeman and Dickinson on the way back from California (via Yellowstone) didn't ride there but saw a guy riding his bike down the shoulder of I-94. I think traffic going by at 80 would kind of negate the enjoyment for me, plus is it even legal?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hector wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:13 pm
Night Train wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:36 am I passed 1000 miles for the year so far last night. Just in time for my trip out to Montana next week to visit Big Sky bike park and to bike around the Bozeman area and the headwaters of the Missouri River. Then on the way back I'm going to stay in Dickinson and bike a portion of the Maah Daah Hey Trail one day, then bike around Theodore Roosevelt NP the other day. :naners:
I just came through Bozeman and Dickinson on the way back from California (via Yellowstone) didn't ride there but saw a guy riding his bike down the shoulder of I-94. I think traffic going by at 80 would kind of negate the enjoyment for me, plus is it even legal?
i didn't think that was legal.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Hector wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:13 pm
I think it's legal in parts of the state, like Lewis and Clark trail that runs along the freeways.

Funny note, no more than a half hour into our first ride at Copper city trail, my cousin wipes out and breaks his collarbone.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i saw a guy cross lanes to take a left on 10 near royalton today. not a freeway-but the speed limit is 65 and you better have your head on a swivel if that's the road you're going to be traveling on.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Biked a few legit mtb trails Monday and Holy shit is that a different beast than just riding around some hills in Minnesota. This isn't a vacation, this is a one week boot camp. I had to drive my cousin to a doctor's appointment in Bozeman yesterday about his clavicle, and a few errands too. But I had time to go to Copper city to finish the ride he broke his collarbone on. Today I'll be biking around Butte and visiting a cousin over there tonight. Then it's on the road tomorrow back to ND for two more days of biking. I need a vacation from this vacation.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:25 am Biked a few legit mtb trails Monday and Holy shit is that a different beast than just riding around some hills in Minnesota. This isn't a vacation, this is a one week boot camp. I had to drive my cousin to a doctor's appointment in Bozeman yesterday about his clavicle, and a few errands too. But I had time to go to Copper city to finish the ride he broke his collarbone on. Today I'll be biking around Butte and visiting a cousin over there tonight. Then it's on the road tomorrow back to ND for two more days of biking. I need a vacation from this vacation.
my friend has broken his collarbone a couple of times riding a bike-it's surprisingly easy to do. especially if you decide to ride home from the bar drunk on one of those things. :mrgreen:
Hector

Post by Hector »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:44 pm i saw a guy cross lanes to take a left on 10 near royalton today. not a freeway-but the speed limit is 65 and you better have your head on a swivel if that's the road you're going to be traveling on.
Yikes!