Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Any outdoor cyclers?

Hector

Re: Any outdoor cyclers?

Post by Hector »

Night Train wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:15 am
Hector wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:13 pm
Night Train wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:36 am I passed 1000 miles for the year so far last night. Just in time for my trip out to Montana next week to visit Big Sky bike park and to bike around the Bozeman area and the headwaters of the Missouri River. Then on the way back I'm going to stay in Dickinson and bike a portion of the Maah Daah Hey Trail one day, then bike around Theodore Roosevelt NP the other day. :naners:

I just came through Bozeman and Dickinson on the way back from California (via Yellowstone) didn't ride there but saw a guy riding his bike down the shoulder of I-94. I think traffic going by at 80 would kind of negate the enjoyment for me, plus is it even legal?
I think it's legal in parts of the state, like Lewis and Clark trail that runs along the freeways.

Funny note, no more than a half hour into our first ride at Copper city trail, my cousin wipes out and breaks his collarbone.
Sucks about your friend. I don't think riding along the interstate is for me...
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

Only been on two rides since I've been back from Montana, but so far my average MPH has increased by a whole mile.

Woo-wee, gonna log some miles on this year, 3, maybe 4 more months of perfect biking weather ahead of us. :thumbsup:
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Since I have a bike rack I can trust now, and it's easy to put on I think I'm going to take my bike to St. Paul, start at the river and take Summit Ave. east all the way to the capitol (hopefully there's something going on there for the Fourth, food booths at least). Then I'm going to mosey around downtown St. Paul, see how much it's changed since I worked down there, then probably go up West 7th to 35E and check the old house out, then take West 7th back downtown then go down to the river and follow the river all the way back on Shepherd Road until it turns into Mississippi River parkway up to Summit again to my car. Hoping to get at least over 30 miles out of that trip.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I've already biked 29 miles by 10:30 this morning because I thought I was going to have something going on this afternoon and I wanted to get my ride in today. But my plans fell through this afternoon so I guess I'll go out again later and if I put in another 21 that'll be 50 miles for the day which would be my all time record for most miles in a day. Man, that Montana trip really triggered something where bike rides are so easy now.

Hector

Post by Hector »

Night Train wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:39 pm I've already biked 29 miles by 10:30 this morning because I thought I was going to have something going on this afternoon and I wanted to get my ride in today. But my plans fell through this afternoon so I guess I'll go out again later and if I put in another 21 that'll be 50 miles for the day which would be my all time record for most miles in a day. Man, that Montana trip really triggered something where bike rides are so easy now.
Awesome! That is a great way to stay in shape. My longest ride of the year is only 38 but I have some plans for longer rides in cooler weather.
I do put about 35-50 a week on my stationary bike though.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Hector wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:49 am
Night Train wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:39 pm I've already biked 29 miles by 10:30 this morning because I thought I was going to have something going on this afternoon and I wanted to get my ride in today. But my plans fell through this afternoon so I guess I'll go out again later and if I put in another 21 that'll be 50 miles for the day which would be my all time record for most miles in a day. Man, that Montana trip really triggered something where bike rides are so easy now.
Awesome! That is a great way to stay in shape. My longest ride of the year is only 38 but I have some plans for longer rides in cooler weather.
I do put about 35-50 a week on my stationary bike though.
I wound up doing 33 miles that afternoon, giving me 62 for the day. Thank God it rained Monday because I needed the rest.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Just passed 1500 miles for the year this past weekend. I don't know if I'll reach my goal of 3000 for the year but I think I'll for sure pass 2500.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

587 miles biked in July, 1760 for the year so far. Holy Cow!!

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I just passed the 2,000 mile mark for the year after a little ride to the store and back last night. :thumbsup: 1,000 more to go to meet my goal, not sure I'll make it before the weather cools though. We'll see.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Gross.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Hector

Post by Hector »

Night Train wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:23 am I just passed the 2,000 mile mark for the year after a little ride to the store and back last night. :thumbsup: 1,000 more to go to meet my goal, not sure I'll make it before the weather cools though. We'll see.
Have about 800 on my road bike, but also about that many on my stationary...you are having a phenomenal year!
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Hector wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:37 am
Night Train wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:23 am I just passed the 2,000 mile mark for the year after a little ride to the store and back last night. :thumbsup: 1,000 more to go to meet my goal, not sure I'll make it before the weather cools though. We'll see.
Have about 800 on my road bike, but also about that many on my stationary...you are having a phenomenal year!
Thanks. 1600 miles ain't much to sneeze at either. :thumbsup:

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

August by the numbers:

48 hours, 39 minutes riding time
656.5 miles
27 rides
12,833 feet of elevation.

I would've gotten up to 675 for the month if I didn't get a couple flat tires yesterday and wind up ubering home.

Put on 173 miles this past week.

I was thinking on my ride yesterday of how much skinnier I'd be if I'd stop eating like a pig, but then again this machine needs fuel.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I want this.

If I want to get into gravel, I'll need a fender for my back tire.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I had 3 flat tires this past weekend... when it rains it pours.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Red and green is such a good color match.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I practice riding with no hands on the Stone Arch bridge whenever I cross it, and I'll go through the local hy-vee parking lot no handed too.

I was riding down Humboldt between 42nd and Victory Drive and some kids yelled at me once to ride no handed. I obliged and then almost crashed over a manhole cover that was sticking up.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Passed the 2500 mark last night. 500 more (494 actually) before I reach my goal.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I promised myself when I got my first bike in July of 17 that I wasn't going to turn into one of those guys that gets all spandexed up, with the bike jersey and tight shorts and helmets. And when I was a fat tub of goo that was easy to do. I started out riding in plain shorts and t-shirts with no helmet and that was good for the 5-10 mile trips I'd do. But then I started getting better and going faster and losing weight, so I got some tight fitting, sweat wicking shirts. They weren't quite bike jerseys but I was inching closer to them. I still wasn't wearing a helmet though because A: I like the wind swept hair look on me and 2) my head is huge and finding one to fit me was difficult. So this spring I'm getting ready for the biking season and I break down and get a bike jersey and find a helmet. So now I'm the bike jersey and helmet guy I said I'd never become. I'm just a few short steps away from getting the biking shorts and bibs I said I'd never get.

Today I'm going to shoot for a 100K day. That's 62 miles or so. I've done 100K in a day before, but on two separate rides. This'll be on one ride.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:07 am I promised myself when I got my first bike in July of 17 that I wasn't going to turn into one of those guys that gets all spandexed up, with the bike jersey and tight shorts and helmets. And when I was a fat tub of goo that was easy to do. I started out riding in plain shorts and t-shirts with no helmet and that was good for the 5-10 mile trips I'd do. But then I started getting better and going faster and losing weight, so I got some tight fitting, sweat wicking shirts. They weren't quite bike jerseys but I was inching closer to them. I still wasn't wearing a helmet though because A: I like the wind swept hair look on me and 2) my head is huge and finding one to fit me was difficult. So this spring I'm getting ready for the biking season and I break down and get a bike jersey and find a helmet. So now I'm the bike jersey and helmet guy I said I'd never become. I'm just a few short steps away from getting the biking shorts and bibs I said I'd never get.

Today I'm going to shoot for a 100K day. That's 62 miles or so. I've done 100K in a day before, but on two separate rides. This'll be on one ride.
i don't really have an opinion on the other stuff-but i do think it's important that you give your melon a fighting chance in case something happens with the helmet.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I did it! I had a 100K day yesterday. Actually 109 K, or 68.33 miles. Here's how it went down and what I saw: Left new hope around noon thirty and biked east and crossed the Mississippi to get to St. Anthony, then meandered through NE Mpls eventually taking Stinson down to Broadway, then up Broadway, dip down to Hennepin/Larpenteur. Took Larp over to Snelling in St. Paul and rode around the fairgrounds for a bit. Lots of tents still up and a few people still tearing stuff down. I saw the ghost of Miles Davis sitting on a bench in a secluded part of the fairground. Then I went up to Como, went around Como lake then took Como ave all the way downtown St. Paul. Rode around the capitol building a few times and everything in front of it, all the war memorials, etc... then drove thru DT St. Paul and got down to the river and watched the red bull Flugtag thing for a bit. Then took the river back, crossed Ford Bridge and saw Minnehaha falls for the 16th time this year, then Minnehaha ave to DT mpls, stopped and visited my brother and niece, did the Nicolett thing a few times, up and down Washington ave (love their bike paths, and if you hit greens its a great ride) then stone arch for the 100th time, then home. It's kind of hard work finding 60 miles to bike in the city.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Night Train wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:43 am I did it! I had a 100K day yesterday. Actually 109 K, or 68.33 miles. Here's how it went down and what I saw: Left new hope around noon thirty and biked east and crossed the Mississippi to get to St. Anthony, then meandered through NE Mpls eventually taking Stinson down to Broadway, then up Broadway, dip down to Hennepin/Larpenteur. Took Larp over to Snelling in St. Paul and rode around the fairgrounds for a bit. Lots of tents still up and a few people still tearing stuff down. I saw the ghost of Miles Davis sitting on a bench in a secluded part of the fairground. Then I went up to Como, went around Como lake then took Como ave all the way downtown St. Paul. Rode around the capitol building a few times and everything in front of it, all the war memorials, etc... then drove thru DT St. Paul and got down to the river and watched the red bull Flugtag thing for a bit. Then took the river back, crossed Ford Bridge and saw Minnehaha falls for the 16th time this year, then Minnehaha ave to DT mpls, stopped and visited my brother and niece, did the Nicolett thing a few times, up and down Washington ave (love their bike paths, and if you hit greens its a great ride) then stone arch for the 100th time, then home. It's kind of hard work finding 60 miles to bike in the city.
that's a ride. i'd think it does get a little claustrophobic trying to put on all those miles staying in the TC. i think you can get on the bike trail and take it out pretty far into western hennepin county on a straight line. you'd have to take the same trail back though. anyways congrats.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:42 am
Night Train wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:43 am I did it! I had a 100K day yesterday. Actually 109 K, or 68.33 miles. Here's how it went down and what I saw: Left new hope around noon thirty and biked east and crossed the Mississippi to get to St. Anthony, then meandered through NE Mpls eventually taking Stinson down to Broadway, then up Broadway, dip down to Hennepin/Larpenteur. Took Larp over to Snelling in St. Paul and rode around the fairgrounds for a bit. Lots of tents still up and a few people still tearing stuff down. I saw the ghost of Miles Davis sitting on a bench in a secluded part of the fairground. Then I went up to Como, went around Como lake then took Como ave all the way downtown St. Paul. Rode around the capitol building a few times and everything in front of it, all the war memorials, etc... then drove thru DT St. Paul and got down to the river and watched the red bull Flugtag thing for a bit. Then took the river back, crossed Ford Bridge and saw Minnehaha falls for the 16th time this year, then Minnehaha ave to DT mpls, stopped and visited my brother and niece, did the Nicolett thing a few times, up and down Washington ave (love their bike paths, and if you hit greens its a great ride) then stone arch for the 100th time, then home. It's kind of hard work finding 60 miles to bike in the city.
that's a ride. i'd think it does get a little claustrophobic trying to put on all those miles staying in the TC. i think you can get on the bike trail and take it out pretty far into western hennepin county on a straight line. you'd have to take the same trail back though. anyways congrats.
I did park at Vicksburg and take the Luce Line out 12.5 miles and back way earlier this year, and did about the same with Cedar Lake Trail too but got turned around in Eden Prairie and came back. I couldn't imagine going 30 miles out and back though, I'd wind up in Waterton or something for a halfway point and then have to think about the prospect of coming back. But, that's what bike adventures are all about, take them one stretch at a time.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I broke the record I set last week by 10 miles, biking 78.22 miles yesterday. I think this record will stand for a while, holy shit am I fucking feeling it today.

This time I left New Hope heading east, taking the same route to fairgrounds as last week, but this time I go north to Roseville to check my old stomping grounds out (used to live there in 94-95), then came back down Snelling to Como again, did the Como lake again but took Lexington down to University, then Uni over to the Capitol and DT St. Paul. Crossed the Wabasha bridge, rode around Harriet island and found out where a few homeless people sleep, then came back on the trails south of the river to Mendota bridge. Crossing Mendota bridge was so much fun I went back and did it again. Then I rode around Snelling state park. It's closed so there wasn't any cars to worry about so the roads were all mine, it was great. It was like a 'life after people' vibe to it. I stopped at the beach to check it out and thought I saw a coyote staring intently at something so I yelled to get it's attention but it didn't move. So I clapped my hands and it still didn't move... then my high ass figured out it was a statue, probably to keep the geese off the beach and shitting everywhere. Then I drove north stopping at Minnehaha again, then Minnehaha ave to 32nd or so, then west to Park, Park to DT and stone arch, then back to New Hope. Was shocked to see 78 on strava when I stopped.

Hector

Post by Hector »

Night Train wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:54 am I want this.

If I want to get into gravel, I'll need a fender for my back tire.
Nice!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Night Train wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:56 am I broke the record I set last week by 10 miles, biking 78.22 miles yesterday. I think this record will stand for a while, holy shit am I fucking feeling it today.

This time I left New Hope heading east, taking the same route to fairgrounds as last week, but this time I go north to Roseville to check my old stomping grounds out (used to live there in 94-95), then came back down Snelling to Como again, did the Como lake again but took Lexington down to University, then Uni over to the Capitol and DT St. Paul. Crossed the Wabasha bridge, rode around Harriet island and found out where a few homeless people sleep, then came back on the trails south of the river to Mendota bridge. Crossing Mendota bridge was so much fun I went back and did it again. Then I rode around Snelling state park. It's closed so there wasn't any cars to worry about so the roads were all mine, it was great. It was like a 'life after people' vibe to it. I stopped at the beach to check it out and thought I saw a coyote staring intently at something so I yelled to get it's attention but it didn't move. So I clapped my hands and it still didn't move... then my high ass figured out it was a statue, probably to keep the geese off the beach and shitting everywhere. Then I drove north stopping at Minnehaha again, then Minnehaha ave to 32nd or so, then west to Park, Park to DT and stone arch, then back to New Hope. Was shocked to see 78 on strava when I stopped.
:thumbsup: Hell of a ride...
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Although not an all time record that I set a couple weeks ago, I did go 68.77 miles yesterday on my mountain bike, which is the largest trek that bike has undergone. I had to use it because I broke a spoke in my other bike and that's been in the shop all week (picking it up today). I originally was just going to ride it to theodore wirth and try the trails there, but I got there and just kept on going south on wirth until I got to Lake Calhoun, went around that one and half times then went south to Lake Harriet, went around that a time and a half then headed east along Minnehaha creek then went around Lake Nokomis. Some road construction along the creek past Nokomis detoured me a bit but did make it to Minnehaha falls, then went down to Fort Snelling again and rode the gravel trails there and headed back to the falls, up Minnehaha ave again to DT, stone arch, up the river to 42nd Ave. bridge then west towards home. 68 miles on a mountain bike is different than my other bike. I have to carry a hydration pack with the MTB and hunch down a little more putting stress in a different section of my back. And the leg muscles are used a little differently on a MTB too. Overall I'm impressed with going that far on a bike I don't really like to ride far and isn't really meant to do so.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Woo-hoo, finally passed 3000 miles for the year! Was hanging just below for a while there because of mechanical issues, fighting a cold, and crappy weather. But today I put my front fender on and waited for the rain to pass and puddle jumped 15 miles to put me over the top. Everything now is just extra icing on the cake.

Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Looks like I might max out at 3,163 miles for this year. I doubt I'll get many more opportunites from now until the end of year.

in 2017 I did 1200 miles
2018 I did 2100 miles
2019 3000+
2020... 4000?

I doubt I'll get 4000 in next year, but maybe 3500 is attainable. Time will tell.