Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Hit the Range today

Qman65

Hit the Range today

Post by Qman65 »

For the first time in 7 years. Can still hit the long ball.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
weimy froob

Re: Hit the Range today

Post by weimy froob »

she did this week too.

WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

I just got back from the range. Worked on teeing off with Driver, 3 wood, and 4 wood. I bought one of dem der fancy drivers 2 winters ago in which you can adjust the loft. I decided to try something today and lower the loft from 10.5 to 9.5 coupled with teeing just a tad higher. Results were superior on 8 of 10 drives. 2 were awful because I tried a wider stance but being a slightly-overweight middle-aged man from Central Minnesota does not allow me to rotate all the way through.

Also, tried setting up with 3 wood and 4 wood the same as my driver and those clubs were following instructions.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Good lord do I suck at golf the last few weeks. I am horrendously bad. Literally topping everything from 7 iron through driver. For some odd reason I am not following through causing my weight to be on my trail side. I have tried everything I can think of to transfer my weight from the trail side to the front side, but all efforts have been unsuccessful.

I have even tried to the ol 50% swing and still topping it. With my irons, I have tried leaning 60% on the front side which leans the shaft forward and still topping it. Tried the ol move the ball back in my stance 1ball revolution but that makes it even worse. Tried to concentrate on a blade of grass directly infront of the ball and that hasn't helped. Tried keeping my trail arm stiff until it naturally bends which helps occassionally but can't consistently repeat it.

I am a mess at golf right now. An utter mess
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

might be time for a lesson with a pro.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

lots of times they can solve in 15 minutes what you can't figure out in weeks on the range. you could be just grooving a hitch in your swing.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Knocked out a bucket of balls this morning.....hit mostly good shots and it was just nice being outside on a beautiful day.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Tundra Scout

Post by Tundra Scout »

Such a humbling game that can frustrate the hell out of you then you play like it’s easy. I use to golf 3/4 times a week and was a 4 handicap. Then came a nasty hand injury and now rarely golf because of it. It sucks
Tundra Scout

Post by Tundra Scout »

Such a humbling game that can frustrate the hell out of you then you play like it’s easy. I use to golf 3/4 times a week and was a 4 handicap. Then came a nasty hand injury and now rarely golf because of it. It sucks
WannaBeProGolferGuy

All right boys and girls, I flat out suck at golf the last 1-2 months. When I say I suck, I mean Spalding from Caddyshack strikes the ball better than I do. Wedges through 9 iron = great, and even taking a divot past the ball! 7 iron through driver = topping and thinning every damn time. Even on the range.

I have googled and tried every single golf instructional video and of course nothing helps.

I am thinking about saying Fug It and just go play a couple rounds of golf instead of grinding on the range. Thoughts?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

take a lesson and see what happens.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:17 pm take a lesson and see what happens.
Right, you mentioned said subject approximately 1 month ago. I have been kicking the idea around. I thought I could pull myself out of the doll drums. But obviously I can not. So, then intelligent moves is to swallow my pride and go take a lesson or two.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:25 pm
Right, you mentioned said subject approximately 1 month ago. I have been kicking the idea around. I thought I could pull myself out of the doll drums. But obviously I can not. So, then intelligent moves is to swallow my pride and go take a lesson or two.
it might just be a slight adjustment to having you hitting the ball the way you want to again. Maybe ask around to see who others recommend--there's a ton of golf pros out there and they all have their own ideas about the golf swing. good luck.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:31 pm
it might just be a slight adjustment to having you hitting the ball the way you want to again. Maybe ask around to see who others recommend--there's a ton of golf pros out there and they all have their own ideas about the golf swing. good luck.
Went to local range today and noticed there was a guy dressed out in golf attire who was practicing his swing. There was another guy in flip flops which looked like he was giveing golf attire guy swing advice. I approached said flip flop guy and asked if he was giving free golf swing advice. Flip Flop guy grabbed the 4 wood out of my hand and said I will give you 2 pieces of advice:

1.) swing to a balance position and hold that position until the ball lands. Using my 4 wood Flip Flop destroys a 4 wood off the deck carrying about 220-230 and the downswing had the Woooshhhh that you hear from a superior golfer.

2.) Slow take away with an inside-to-inside path and imagaine there is a clock on the golf ball and try to hit the ball at 7 O'clock position--hence the inside-to-inside swing path. He says good luck and took off. I have never seen this guy at the course before but I said what the hell why not take his advice.

Massive difference, I was destroying the ball from Wedge through 7 iron. As a matter of fact, I was actually taking divots after making contact with the ball. Not the massive beaver pelts the pro golfers take but I will take it. A little incosistent with 6 and 5 iron which I suspect I am still swining too har--but much better than the previous few months.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

you got something to work with on the range. keep us updated.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

weimy froob wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:28 pm you got something to work with on the range. keep us updated.
Will do. Me and the oldest tax deduction have a tee time on Wednesday. We will see how it goes. At this time, I would rather make memories with my tax deduction by slamming the club down and screaming the F word than worrying about my score.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:11 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:31 pm

Went to local range today and noticed there was a guy dressed out in golf attire who was practicing his swing. There was another guy in flip flops which looked like he was giveing golf attire guy swing advice. I approached said flip flop guy and asked if he was giving free golf swing advice. Flip Flop guy grabbed the 4 wood out of my hand and said I will give you 2 pieces of advice:

1.) swing to a balance position and hold that position until the ball lands. Using my 4 wood Flip Flop destroys a 4 wood off the deck carrying about 220-230 and the downswing had the Woooshhhh that you hear from a superior golfer.

2.) Slow take away with an inside-to-inside path and imagaine there is a clock on the golf ball and try to hit the ball at 7 O'clock position--hence the inside-to-inside swing path. He says good luck and took off. I have never seen this guy at the course before but I said what the hell why not take his advice.

Massive difference, I was destroying the ball from Wedge through 7 iron. As a matter of fact, I was actually taking divots after making contact with the ball. Not the massive beaver pelts the pro golfers take but I will take it. A little incosistent with 6 and 5 iron which I suspect I am still swining too har--but much better than the previous few months.
Gonna try those tips this week! FORE!!
WannaBeProGolferGuy

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:37 pm
weimy froob wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:28 pm you got something to work with on the range. keep us updated.
Will do. Me and the oldest tax deduction have a tee time on Wednesday. We will see how it goes. At this time, I would rather make memories with my tax deduction by slamming the club down and screaming the F word than worrying about my score.
Slight progress made yesterday gentlemen as I didn't melt down until the 15th tee box. Front 9 scored a 46 which included an 8 on #2 as my approach shot went into the drink followed by a 4 putt on the same hole LOL!!

Back 9 going good enough until the 15th tee box where I proceeded to slice 3 drives OB ( it was nice that Mr. Slice paid me a visit since I have not seen him in a couple of years). Missed a birdie put on 16 and 17--but made par. 18th ended with a bogey due to a topped 6 iron which went all of 40 yards and scored a 50.

Ironically enough the highlight of the day was, 16 year-old tax deduction can destroy driver put hooks it left. I noticed the ball placement was in the middle of this left foot. So I said, feet together and step out 1 inch with your left-foot then back as normal with your right-food, so now the ball is aligned with the heel of his left-food, I said swing, and he bombs a 265 yard drive, same as on 16, and 18 his drive was 280 more then likely due to a downhill fairway and he got some extra roll

I still feel that my stance is too narrow as I am losing distance. When I was playing my best, my stance was about shoulder-width apart ( or slightly less) and 7 iron = 170, 8 iron = 160, 9 iron = 150. The last few months I have narrowed my stance in an effort to NOT top or thin the ball.

Part of me thinks I should go back to a wider-stance and concentrate on what Flip-flop guy said on the range the other day. In my crazy brain, it makes sense to have the same width of stance but then move the ball up in your stance incrementally since each club is slightly longer then the previous.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Shot 98 today at Edina Country club....never have played on such fast greens! Boatloads of sand traps to boot. As a bonus I saw TJ Oshie's house which is right along one of the fairways on the back 9!

FORE!
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Hornets wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:28 pm Shot 98 today at Edina Country club....never have played on such fast greens! Boatloads of sand traps to boot. As a bonus I saw TJ Oshie's house which is right along one of the fairways on the back 9!

FORE!
TJ Oshie has a house in Edina? Really? I would have never expected that
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:21 pm
Hornets wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:28 pm Shot 98 today at Edina Country club....never have played on such fast greens! Boatloads of sand traps to boot. As a bonus I saw TJ Oshie's house which is right along one of the fairways on the back 9!

FORE!
TJ Oshie has a house in Edina? Really? I would have never expected that
Haha! It's a nice house but not what you'd expect for a multi-millionaire. TJ will always have a soft spot in my heart for the SICK shootout goals he scored a couple of Olympics ago! YouTube it if you haven't seen it!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Shot 44 at Bluff Creek today. Hit a 300 yard drive for probably the first time in 20+ years.....CRUSHED IT!
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

My daughter played the quarry at Giants Ridge today. This is her 3rd year of golf. Shot of 99. Im proud of her.
Jack Soo 5

Post by Jack Soo 5 »

Sellingguy wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:00 pm My daughter played the quarry at Giants Ridge today. This is her 3rd year of golf. Shot of 99. Im proud of her.
Nice! That's pretty damn good for only 3rd year.

I shot an 89 at Krooked Creek in Osceola, WI yesterday. There may have been one mulligan and one foot wedge, but I'm calling it 89!
Keep your stick on the ice
WannaBeProGolferGuy

7 iron and 6 iron still suck as per today's range session. However, the 16 year old tax deduction was destroying a 7 iron today, he hit a couple of range balls dam near 200 yards. He and I are playing tomorrow and I suspect the will kick 7 different types of dog $shit out of me. But oh well.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Jack Soo 5 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:04 pm
Sellingguy wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:00 pm My daughter played the quarry at Giants Ridge today. This is her 3rd year of golf. Shot of 99. Im proud of her.
Nice! That's pretty damn good for only 3rd year.

I shot an 89 at Krooked Creek in Osceola, WI yesterday. There may have been one mulligan and one foot wedge, but I'm calling it 89!
most impressive was no 3 putts. On those greens that is damm good.
Clearly she gave up some shots in the fairway with uneven lie.
Turned a 104 at Legend. 13 got her, but she did put it on the edge of the green on 17, but 3 putted.
She drives the ball well at about 200 yards. Has been working on around the green pitching and putting with her instructor.
Tundra Scout

Post by Tundra Scout »

Qman65 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 am For the first time in 7 years. Can still hit the long ball.
That’s the easy part
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Playin Bearpath next week so will be hittin the range this comin weekend to try and shake the rust off!
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Hornets wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:26 pm Playin Bearpath next week so will be hittin the range this comin weekend to try and shake the rust off!
one of my golf group gets to play Bearpath each year with 3 college buddies. One of them worked on the the course build and lives on the course.

Played Victory Links yesterday with 2 of my buddies and daughter. She had a good round going through 13, then blew up 3 holes. For a flat links course, it always plays tough. The rough is thick and it was long yesterday. Greens were cut yesterday after being punched 7 days ago. Fast and true.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Since it was 64 degrees and sunny today, I thought after I log off work then I would go to the range and work on my game. Haven't swung a club since late August. I had high hopes and expectations that I could solidly strike the golf ball.

Well, that went over like a fart in church. I literally topped every shot from Wedge through 6 iron. My swing is so jacked up as I doing everything wrong, standing up at impact and weight on the back foot thus causing the top shots. I have a suspicion my final round on Friday afternoon will be U G L Y you can't by an alibi you U G L Y