Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Rookie golfer here

DC4MVP

Rookie golfer here

Post by DC4MVP »

I'm finally thinking about getting into golf and joining my buddies on the links every once in a while.

I'm looking at one of those "complete sets" to get started with. Nothing too expensive until I figure out what I'm doing as I have maybe golfed 2-3 times in 10 years. This set has a driver, 3w, 5h, 6-w, and putter. Obviously comes with a bag and clubcovers.

As I get better and golf more, Ill probably start adding and upgrading the clubs as I go.

Besides balls and tees, what else will I need as a beginner? Can I forget the shoes, gloves, and whatever else for now? Do I need a sandwich? (Sand Wedge)
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Re: Rookie golfer here

Post by Sellingguy »

The shoes will help you establish your swing IMO. The glove? 50/50.

I have a sand wedge and never use it in the sand. I use it as my 80 yard club.

Go to the range and hit golf balls. Everyone will give you different advice. Dont worry about how far you hit the ball, learn how to hit the ball square. I watched a guy give lessons the range one day. New golfer. Had the guy hitting a 7 iron. At first he had the guy using half swings. Learning the feel of the club and his swing. Slowly had him increase the swing.