Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

How have you been shooting?

Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

How have you been shooting?

Post by Sellingguy »

Typical year for me of just not playing enough or going to the range.
Add in I have played courses that I am not familiar with either due to first time or not in a long time.
I think best is 83 and most rounds have either back or front at 40-42, then I blow up the other 9 to 45-50
Cobey
Trouble

Re: How have you been shooting?

Post by Cobey »

I had a few rough outings this year where I just stopped keeping track around the 10th hole. I had a few rounds where I got into the low 80's this year, which is a vast improvement for me. I haven't been out in a month or two, unfortunately. We'll see how I do Sunday when I play Daytona with my brother.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

I was looking forward to playing much more since I have free golf at each client, so that was 54 courses to play.
So far I have played 20 of my courses plus 3 other courses. Had to pay at 2 of them. That is the upside.
I do want to get some fitted irons, 7,8,9 since that is my most common 2nd club and par 3 clubs. But I gotta go play about 6-8 rounds in 2 weeks to really be swinging the club well for fitting. You ever play wild marsh, Fox Hollow, Pebble Creek? Thinking of playing 2 of them in one day this weekend or next.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

I played Fox Hollow once this year. It was a pretty tough course, if I remember right. I also remember it being in pretty rough shape when I played it...it was early in the year and they just aerated the greens, and one of the holes was getting redone. But it was real nice and reasonably priced. Pebble Creek I played once this year and I used to play it pretty frequently when I lived in Big Lake. It's a bit confusing in that they have the 27 holes divided in groups of 9, so you really have to pay attention to what order they want you to play in and make sure that you don't go to the wrong teebox. I'm pretty sure I jumped to the wrong hole once or twice. I remember being chased by a goose after trying to get an errant tee shot on one of the holes this year. But it's usually a decent enough course, although not particularly challenging.

Never done Wild Marsh...My other usual is Daytona and Riverwood National this year.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Fox Hollow is a tough course and the renovation is done. Look forward to the trip up to play.
Wild Marsh is plenty challenging, nice lay out. I love 27 hole courses, just play them all!
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Shot a 98 at Daytona yesterday. 3 putts all fucking day.
j-one

Post by j-one »

Decent for me - about a 13-14 index (not an intentional common man reference there). Played more than usual - Izaty's area, Ireland and a boondoggle at Deacons/White Birch. Sadly, probably too busy to golf again this season.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

And it continues as I played another course I have never seen, Shoreland country club in St Peter. Nice track!
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Little soggy at U of M course this week, but the Sioux bag looked good being carried in a gopher cart!
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

I average a double bogey on any semi challenging course, including the Highland Park course I played at today. :gun:
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Miley Cyrus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:37 pm I average a double bogey on any semi challenging course, including the Highland Park course I played at today. :gun:
Ouch. Thats alot of 5, 6 and 7s on the card.
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

Sellingguy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:40 am
Miley Cyrus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:37 pm I average a double bogey on any semi challenging course, including the Highland Park course I played at today. :gun:
Ouch. Thats alot of 5, 6 and 7s on the card.
If I ever touched my clubs more than twice a year, I'd be the next Rory McIlroy. :punch:
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Playing Red Wing country club! Played once and all i remember is ...club up..on many holes.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Driver went bad on me on a very tight Red Wing Golf Course. NIce track, gotta club up on many holes.
Worst round of the year.
CasualObserverGuy

Post by CasualObserverGuy »

Was an unusual year for me, more scrambles (4) than 18 hole rounds playing my own ball (3). Best 18 hole round was a 79 at the Ponds in St Francis. Other 2 were an 82 at Victory Links and an 84? at TPC Twin Cities. I'm unsure on my score there because we played really fast on the back to finish before sundown, we took a few assumed 2 putts from 15-ish feet.

One of the scrambles was at Keller, which I've played a couple times, and playing that round back in my mind had we only taken my ball I probably would've had a 70-72 kind of score. The team shot 65 but the next best player on the team I would peg as a 90-100 range player. And 1 guy was entirely useless.

All in all, I don't have any major swing concerns going into 2018. I should probably work out a little more than last winter and practice a little more next year. The short game was average at best for me this year, and my irons seemed to be a half club shorter than a couple years back when I played 15-20 rounds.
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

After watching dozens of YouTube videos and hitting the range more than usual this year I still can't fix my slice.

I'm not hitting the ball square. I've worked on my grip, stance, follow-through, etc. and still no significant change. By September I just gave up (like every year lolz) and just played the slice to get through the round.

Irons, short game, putting once again bailed me out.

Averaged 94 all year.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:09 pm After watching dozens of YouTube videos and hitting the range more than usual this year I still can't fix my slice.

I'm not hitting the ball square. I've worked on my grip, stance, follow-through, etc. and still no significant change. By September I just gave up (like every year lolz) and just played the slice to get through the round.

Averaged 94 all year.
I fixed mine by simply putting the ball more to the middle of my stance.

Pins are still in at a few metro courses.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:49 am
ForCaleb wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:09 pm After watching dozens of YouTube videos and hitting the range more than usual this year I still can't fix my slice.

Averaged 94 all year.
I fixed mine by simply putting the ball more to the middle of my stance.

Pins are still in at a few metro courses.
Thanks. I'm open to try anything.

Both our courses on base are still open. Can't beat their prices this time of year.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

You might lose a little distance. Now I have moved it back to the left a bit, but id rather hit it 200-225 straight vs 250 off to the right.

Pins still in. Looks like a few courses will be able to claim a 11 month golf season as the stay open through the weekend.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

My slice is improving a lot simply by turning my wrists over on the follow through. Still not hitting the ball square with my driver, though.

Good round today. 92.

Played at Gamblers Ridge in Freehold, NJ.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Playing oak glenn tomorrow. going to pay to play. Hate that. Never played the track, looks interesting.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

85 for a opening round.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

I shot a 105 at Princeton on Sunday. All was solid until I hit that green.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Cobey wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:16 am I shot a 105 at Princeton on Sunday. All was solid until I hit that green.
How is that course doing? Im going up to play stones throw and Purple Hawk soon.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Sellingguy wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 pm
Cobey wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:16 am I shot a 105 at Princeton on Sunday. All was solid until I hit that green.
How is that course doing? Im going up to play stones throw and Purple Hawk soon.
Greens were in very good shape I thought. In comparison to pinewood in Elk River anyway.

Rough grass was not real thick...not much different to play off of than the fairway. Some muddy spots that are marked off so you don't take a cart through. Typical spring stuff.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Played Eagle Valley in Woodbury. Front 9, keep it in the fairway, on the green in 2, shoot a 39. Birdie 11. I got this all figured out!
12-18 could not hit the fairway, not on the green in 2, shoot 47. FUCK!
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Now that we're wrapping things up this season, best rounds of the year for me were a 91 and a 93 at Lynx National in Sauk Rapids and Kimball CC respectively.

My typical round ended up in the low 100's. I'll probably try to get in another round or two before they close.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

82 at maddens east i think is my best round this year.
Pretty much a normal year, shoot low 40's one side, high 40's on the other. never the same.
Had a 42 on front nine at victory links with a 8 on the 5th.
I have all my cards from this year. Will do a avg when season ends.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

87.3 avg 29 rounds
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

93 at Pebble Creek on Friday. Not bad for me considering I haven't touched a club in 6 months.