Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2018 British Open thread.

Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Re: 2018 British Open thread.

Post by Sellingguy »

it is a matter of can his body still hold up. many of the old golfers have said, these kids swing too hard and it will catch up to them later in life.
Tiger was the king of swinging hard. While he seems to have settled that down, the damage is done from earlier years.

look forward to seeing tiger play the next event they can really take aim at the flag and see how he does.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Sellingguy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:16 am it is a matter of can his body still hold up. many of the old golfers have said, these kids swing too hard and it will catch up to them later in life.
Tiger was the king of swinging hard. While he seems to have settled that down, the damage is done from earlier years.

look forward to seeing tiger play the next event they can really take aim at the flag and see how he does.
Do you think Tiger would dial back his swing, and give up the advantage he had that helped him win all those majors for a few more competitive years in his 40's?

I don't think he would. I certainly would not. Out hitting everyone was how he established dominance over that era of PGA pros and become one of, if not the, greatest golfer of all time.
Lampin'
CasualObserverGuy

Post by CasualObserverGuy »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:54 am
Sellingguy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:16 am it is a matter of can his body still hold up. many of the old golfers have said, these kids swing too hard and it will catch up to them later in life.

Do you think Tiger would dial back his swing, and give up the advantage he had that helped him win all those majors for a few more competitive years in his 40's?

I don't think he would. I certainly would not. Out hitting everyone was how he established dominance over that era of PGA pros and become one of, if not the, greatest golfer of all time.
I see your point there, but if you watch Tiger closely, he STILL has better distance control with his irons than almost anyone on tour. If he dials it back and hits 10-15% more fairways, he'd be nearly unstoppable. When he struggles it's usually (not always) due to being in the s***
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

IF he could go back and not swing hard? In hindsight I think he would. He broke his fucking leg he swung so hard.
I think the still would have been better then everyone. Yes his distance helped him big, but it was his save shots that won and kept him winning. No one can recover from the shit like tiger can.

He could have dialed it back, maybe been in the fairway more in doing so and saved his back and legs.

Best golfer ever? Close. I think most dominate for his time for sure. Arnie could drive it 300 with the old clubs. Just couldnt get the height to cut the corners like tiger did the first couple of years before the courses made the changes. Augusta added trees on all the doglegs as example.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Sellingguy wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:19 pm IF he could go back and not swing hard? In hindsight I think he would. He broke his fucking leg he swung so hard.
I think the still would have been better then everyone. Yes his distance helped him big, but it was his save shots that won and kept him winning. No one can recover from the shit like tiger can.

He could have dialed it back, maybe been in the fairway more in doing so and saved his back and legs.

Best golfer ever? Close. I think most dominate for his time for sure. Arnie could drive it 300 with the old clubs. Just couldnt get the height to cut the corners like tiger did the first couple of years before the courses made the changes. Augusta added trees on all the doglegs as example.
The new technology for clubs and balls have changed the game for sure. You see courses getting lengthened all the time to keep up with that stuff. Not to mention fitness is incorporated into golf more and more.

Would have loved to see what Palmer and Jack would have done in their prime with all that stuff available to them. They would absolutely tear it up.

Sure the clubs don't matter if your swing sucks but guys with swings like Palmer and Jack would just crush the ball and dominate courses.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Sellingguy wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:19 pm IF he could go back and not swing hard? In hindsight I think he would. He broke his fucking leg he swung so hard.

That is a fair argument. I think you have changed my opinion. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Lampin'