Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Do not go to Giants Ridge to golf

Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Do not go to Giants Ridge to golf

Post by Sellingguy »

Reports are bad with almost 50% of both courses are dead. Greens, tee boxes, huge chunks of fairways.

And the best part is....our state run golf courses are not telling anyone...charging 70 per round to putt on dead greens.

Someone I know who was up there said it is un savable at this point and they will most likely have to rebuild and seed about 15 greens between the two courses.
CasualObserverGuy

Re: Do not go to Giants Ridge to golf

Post by CasualObserverGuy »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 am My normal course had a tournament last weekend, so my brother and I drove a half hour away to a municipal course in another town. It was one of those put the money in a box kinda deals, so we weren't expecting a lot from it. The t-boxes and fairways were alright... but then we got to the green. They seriously put some sort of astro turf over sand greens, which maybe... maybe would have been okay about 10 years ago when they installed it, but now... It was a lot like trying to put on a sidewalk. Impossible.
where the hell was this?
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
CasualObserverGuy

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm
CasualObserverGuy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:42 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 am My normal course had a tournament last weekend, so my brother and I drove a half hour away to a municipal course in another town. It was one of those put the money in a box kinda deals, so we weren't expecting a lot from it. The t-boxes and fairways were alright... but then we got to the green. They seriously put some sort of astro turf over sand greens, which maybe... maybe would have been okay about 10 years ago when they installed it, but now... It was a lot like trying to put on a sidewalk. Impossible.
where the hell was this?
Michigan, North Dakota
Haha, been through that town, had no idea they even had a course. What's your usual? Creel Bay?
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
CasualObserverGuy

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:01 pm Usually since it's so close. Cando, park river, larimore, and new Rockford usually get a play through or two as well.
Larimore is nice. I love those little 9 hole hidden gems. I finally found a few local courses here near the Cities where it's laid back, cheap, and the turf conditions are tolerable.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:01 pm
CasualObserverGuy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Michigan, North Dakota
Haha, been through that town, had no idea they even had a course. What's your usual? Creel Bay?
Usually since it's so close. Cando, park river, larimore, and new Rockford usually get a play through or two as well.
Carrington has a sweet 18 hole course. Worth the drive.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:27 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 am

Usually since it's so close. Cando, park river, larimore, and new Rockford usually get a play through or two as well.
Yeah, it's on the short list for this summer.
Front nine is really fun. Back nine is alright too. Fairways are lush. And it’s cheap to play. Been a couple years since I’ve played it but if I remember right it was line 40 bucks with a cart.

Use to go up to New Rockford every fall for their Duck Open tourney. 4 man scramble that paid cash. Great time but now I’m helping with harvest at that time so haven’t played it in 3 years.
Last edited by Jimtown guy on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
CasualObserverGuy

Jimtown guy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 am
CasualObserverGuy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:05 pm

When did they convert to the black sand bunkers?
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

CasualObserverGuy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:43 am
Abe Froman wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:01 pm Usually since it's so close. Cando, park river, larimore, and new Rockford usually get a play through or two as well.
Larimore is nice. I love those little 9 hole hidden gems. I finally found a few local courses here near the Cities where it's laid back, cheap, and the turf conditions are tolerable.
Lots of nice 9 hole tracks around the cities and state.
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

Lots of turf damage in Northeastern Minnesota. It was a rough & long winter.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

most of the damage happened in Oct when they thought they would get a inch of snow. The greens were not sprayed yet.
THey got 10 inches of snow, then a melt saturating the greens, then it froze. One course that did not lose any greens said they cleared theirs off and got them dried out and sprayed.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Just played Headwaters and Bears Den in Park Rapids and Tianna in Walker. Headwaters is very nice course, Tianna just a step behind, both are a challenge from the tips with long par 4s, and the 3s are 190=210. Just a step below the Brainerd 6 and GR and Wilderness, but half the price.
Bears Den, full length 9 hole with very nice conditions.
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

Sellingguy wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:02 am most of the damage happened in Oct when they thought they would get a inch of snow. The greens were not sprayed yet.
THey got 10 inches of snow, then a melt saturating the greens, then it froze. One course that did not lose any greens said they cleared theirs off and got them dried out and sprayed.
Most of the damage was ice damage not snow mold. Spraying greens does nothing to prevent ice damage. There was plenty of snow in most of NE Minnesota in October, but it all melted at the end of November followed by a rain storm in the beginning of December which changed into snow as the temp dropped 30 degrees before the rain could run off or sink into the ground. Then it stayed cold for the next 5 months, exposing the grass to ice for longer than it was able to handle.

I've heard the Legend has been pretty playable for the past month. Not sure on the Quarry - it was a bit behind because they shut down the Legend for a month or two to re-plant while the Quarry was open this spring.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

I played classic and east on Saturday. Classic was flawless. East has some changes under way, but it was its normal good conditions and stellar greens.
Reports from GR and Wilderness is they look like spring conditions now. Hopefully next year they will be back to normal.
Brainerd is always packed the last 2 weekends which I did not know. None of the big 6 had tee times unless you wanted to play less then 18. We got off at classic at 335pm and finished under moonlight on 18.