Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

foosball

weimy froob

foosball

Post by weimy froob »

anybody used to play this? still do? my buddy had a set-up just like joey and chandler's on friends. the table right in his kitchen in the apartment. no five man goals that counted though. they didn't give the game the respect it deserves in the show.

i wasn't a natural-but got quite good at it over time. could play both positions-but liked to play up front more. probably ended up becoming the best player over time in the group.

this used to be a big game in the 70's at the local bowling alley too. i remember watching the acknowledged best player on that table growing up. his nickname was "jerk" and he'd have that cigarette burning on the table while he got busy. i was a generation removed from his heyday. mid to late 80's. but it was a game that you could play while you drank beer too. a few beers kept you nice and loose on the table.

this came to my mind today as i thought back to those days. my buddy's brother died this week-in his 50's. and those days are gone forever too. sad.
weimy froob

Re: foosball

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

12 hours and no responses? there has to be a few foosball players on site. i also remember some games at parties on other tables where it got pretty competitive to see how long you could hold the table. i used to love to see where my game matched up with other top players. good times.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

THANKS for the trip down memory lane! I grew up in this era and in fact one of the happiest days of my life was coming home one day to find a brand new foosball table set up in the basement.....thanks Dad!

Had some epic battles with my older brother and became quite good, as I could snap off a shot with the best of them! Loved playin at the local joints during my college years into my mid 20's, then the allure started to fade away. Kids today don't know what they're missin...
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

We had a table growing up. Played for hours as a kid. In college their was a bar that had foosball and pool tourney every Wed Night.
My roommate was a very good pool player. Winner of each tourney got 50.00 and a 12 pack. We won 6 weeks in a row and got banned from the bar.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

yep. this is definitely a 70's thru late 80's game-but it did have it's time in the sun for that generation. no five man goals! i loved the moves i developed to score. just go with the feeling to keep the goalie off-balance. if you don't know what shot you're going to attempt until the last moment he isn't. the push shot with the inner and outer players was the go-to move though.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

My folks got me a table for Christmas when I was young. Dad and I would play a nightly best of 5 (5 point games only). He never let me win and it made me a pretty decent player after a couple years.
Lampin'
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

The trend picked back up in the very early 2000's. I knew many that this was popular with at that time. People started buying tables, tourneys at bars etc. That fade was done by mid 2000's again though. I haven't seen a table in a bar years now.

I know there are still dart tournaments and pool but even that stuff seems like it's losing players. I remember going to bars packed with people playong darts. I see small groups here and there now.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:13 pm My folks got me a table for Christmas when I was young. Dad and I would play a nightly best of 5 (5 point games only). He never let me win and it made me a pretty decent player after a couple years.
you're dad played it right. how old is he?
salamander

Post by salamander »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:15 pm anybody used to play this? still do? my buddy had a set-up just like joey and chandler's on friends. the table right in his kitchen in the apartment. no five man goals that counted though. they didn't give the game the respect it deserves in the show.

i wasn't a natural-but got quite good at it over time. could play both positions-but liked to play up front more. probably ended up becoming the best player over time in the group.

this used to be a big game in the 70's at the local bowling alley too. i remember watching the acknowledged best player on that table growing up. his nickname was "jerk" and he'd have that cigarette burning on the table while he got busy. i was a generation removed from his heyday. mid to late 80's. but it was a game that you could play while you drank beer too. a few beers kept you nice and loose on the table.

this came to my mind today as i thought back to those days. my buddy's brother died this week-in his 50's. and those days are gone forever too. sad.
I used to play a lot. Not too shabby. There were leagues and stuff but I didn't care about it enough to do that.

My buddy from Manitowoc (yeah, same one) got me into it. I mean it's Wisconsin so they probably think things from the 70's were cool and hip around 2005.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:08 pm I know there are still dart tournaments and pool but even that stuff seems like it's losing players. I remember going to bars packed with people playong darts. I see small groups here and there now.
Pool is definitely losing players. Since I started playing about 8 years ago most leagues I've played in have lost almost half their teams. Faribault still has a strong pool community and Shooters does a nice job of keeping teams but it's fading fast.

It's losing steam in those small towns too. You'd think that's where it would hang on longest. I have noticed up in the cities there are some newer teams with inexperienced players popping up. Maybe the trend is turning because it's died down enough where the hipsters can call it there own now? Not sure. Hopefully signs of good things to come.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

I'm looking for a Premier League, who's the best team? I'll fund them with what I would pay for my healtcare.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Qman65 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:08 am I'm looking for a Premier League, who's the best team? I'll fund them with what I would pay for my healtcare.
this is probably the most expensive team right here.
Spoiler:
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

I think part of the reason for the decline was when vendors started selling robot tables as compared to the soccer tables. With the 3-goalie table versus the 1-goalie table and the not corner inclines the games became different enough to fracture the enthusiasm. Myself, I still have my old duester meister table that my family purchased in 1980.
Sleestak

Post by Sleestak »

Got one. A nice Peter billiards one used from some party on CL. Its solid. We play the goalie scores untouched it's a 2 pointer and you have to belt out "Twooooooooo"
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sleestak wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:50 am Got one. A nice Peter billiards one used from some party on CL. Its solid. We play the goalie scores untouched it's a 2 pointer and you have to belt out "Twooooooooo"
i never heard of that home field rule before. it's a solid one though. :thumbsup:
Sleestak

Post by Sleestak »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:20 am
Sleestak wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:50 am Got one. A nice Peter billiards one used from some party on CL. Its solid. We play the goalie scores untouched it's a 2 pointer and you have to belt out "Twooooooooo"
i never heard of that home field rule before. it's a solid one though. :thumbsup:
Yep It's usually loud when it happens and isnt very rare. Also no spinning. You can spin or rotate fast with palms as long as you dont let go of the handle grips and spins.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

I want a tornado table so bad!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sleestak wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:04 pm
Yep It's usually loud when it happens and isnt very rare. Also no spinning. You can spin or rotate fast with palms as long as you dont let go of the handle grips and spins.
no fiveman's -right?
Sleestak

Post by Sleestak »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:57 pm

no fiveman's -right?
What's that? If your asking does a bar have 5 men. Yes my bar closest to center has 5 men.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sleestak wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:38 pm

no fiveman's -right?
What's that? If your asking does a bar have 5 men. Yes my bar closest to center has 5 men.
no. you don't count scores from the five man position. right?
Sleestak

Post by Sleestak »

Oh..yes. never heard of not allowing that. If it goes in it counts. Slop play allowed. Is that not the norm?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sleestak wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:34 pm Oh..yes. never heard of not allowing that. If it goes in it counts. Slop play allowed. Is that not the norm?
we never counted them. five man needs to pass to a forward. every other position counts.
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

In the 80's we used to frequent Timothy O'Tooles in SLP
I was always defense... we had a decent run

The bar we have dinner at deer hunting removed the pool table and put in foosball, my kids had no interest
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

:thinking:
I don't believe this is accepted in foosball community
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Sellingguy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:24 am
My roommate was a very good pool player. Winner of each tourney got 50.00 and a 12 pack. We won 6 weeks in a row and got banned from the bar.
had nothing to do w/ winning... just sayin
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Sleestak wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:38 pm

no fiveman's -right?
:roll:

NO FIVE MAN!
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Sleestak wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:34 pm Oh..yes. never heard of not allowing that. If it goes in it counts. Slop play allowed. Is that not the norm?
:lol:

where the hell did you play?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Slim Shady wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:14 pm

:thinking:
I don't believe this is accepted in foosball community
doesn't seem like a bad home field rule though. you have a good chance of getting stuffed-so it's kind of like a risk-reward shot.

and yes-NO FIVE MAN!
Alexstaystrong

Post by Alexstaystrong »

I noticed this thread and couldn't pass by it. I was a fan of foosball some years ago! Also I remember how cool it was to play with my siblings. When we were children, we had a good foosball table and could play all day long.
I've decided to revive a tradition to play this nice game and now I need a new table, because our old one was sold on a garage sale many years ago.
I want to buy a new one, but don't want spend too much money. Surfing the internet I've found some digests and list of best sellers on Amazon.
I couldn't know there are so many kinds of foosball tables.
If someone may help me to choose one from all of these foosball tables, I'd be grateful!
By the way, here are also some tables, I liked from Amazon:
American Legend Charger 52
EastPoint Sports Preston Foosball Table Game
Thank you in advance!