Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

NCAA Basketball Coaches Charged With Corruption

Discuss college sports here
weimy froob

Re: NCAA Basketball Coaches Charged With Corruption

Post by weimy froob »

the rifleman? say it aint so chuck.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

You have to think the son learned from the father. It would certainly explain a highly regarding recruit from NYC choosing Minnesota.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Anyone who thinks this shit hasn't been happening...forever, is blind. If anyone were to get caught, doesn't it seem like the Gophers would be par for the course? Our school can't do anything right in sports.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

kilkenny wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:32 pm Anyone who thinks this shit hasn't been happening...forever, is blind. If anyone were to get caught, doesn't it seem like the Gophers would be par for the course? Our school can't do anything right in sports.
This! It's going on everywhere. Baby Pitino better watch himself. His old man is a fucking slimeball. His 3rd offense. Rick is #Shocked lol.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Time to ban old man Pitino. Probably paid for his face lift.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
milquetoast

Post by milquetoast »

louvsfbi.jpg
When fact is fiction and TV reality
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:11 am Time to ban old man Pitino. Probably paid for his face lift.
If he had a facelift they did a terrible job.
The Replacements

If this type of behavior has been going on forever, you have to think Richard either has been involved or has known about specific behavior from his father in his time at Louisville.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

"Kimani Young has a deep relationship with NYC AAU basketball."
I think that's code for NY Bag Man.

I'm very nervous.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:18 pm "Kimani Young has a deep relationship with NYC AAU basketball."

I'm very nervous.
I'm not. Is Sean Miller going to get canned in Arizona? Bruce Pearl in Alabama? Rick's problem in Louisville appears to be having no idea what anyone is doing ever in his program. If this was the first incident, you'd blame the assistant and suspend like the other programs have done. Rick got caught with his pants down (literally) one too many times for having no clue about anything.

Roy Williams and staff fake transcript at UNC and literally nothing has happened. The FBI had to step in to get the NCAA to do anything. :clap:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:08 pm You have to think the son learned from the father. It would certainly explain a highly regarding recruit from NYC choosing Minnesota.
That's what you're hoping for right! :lol:

The Gophers are a top 15-20 team this year with or without Washington.. hails from the same high school as one Eric Harris. Minnesota has recruited plenty to get their name out, Washington didn't even bother with another official visit... once they got him on campus, he committed here fast because McKinley Wright was potentially going to commit and they could only take one.

I'm looking forward to people saying "HOW DID HE GET AMIR COFFEY, REGGIE LYNCH, NATE MASON AND JORDAN MURPHY?" Let's check Northwestern and Penn St now as well and see how they're recruiting better.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

TrueBlue wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:21 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:16 pm
Ask Not wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:18 pm "Kimani Young has a deep relationship with NYC AAU basketball."

I'm very nervous.
I'm not. Is Sean Miller going to get canned in Arizona? Bruce Pearl in Alabama? Rick's problem in Louisville appears to be having no idea what anyone is doing ever in his program. If this was the first incident, you'd blame the assistant and suspend like the other programs have done. Rick got caught with his pants down (literally) one too many times for having no clue about anything.

Roy Williams and staff fake transcript at UNC and literally nothing has happened. The FBI had to step in to get the NCAA to do anything. :clap:
Well, that and Rick is specifically mentioned in the FBI documents (as coach #2)
I hadn't read the documents but yeah, reading a story just now about the specific documents, hard to get out of this one... but again, he's said over and over he has no idea about these things and there's absolutely no way that's the case.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

I'm very nervous.

I think you are seeing things differently than I am.
1. This is the FBI, not the NCAA. We're talking about the U.S. Army vs. Farmington Police.
2. It seems you're suggesting this was the investigation. I think this is just the beginning of the investigation. They've arrested a small group of weasels. Those weasels will be very happy to turn on other weasels to reduce their sentences. CBB is full of weasels and many more will be uncovered.
Ketchup can be nuancy
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:25 pm
The Replacements wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:08 pm You have to think the son learned from the father. It would certainly explain a highly regarding recruit from NYC choosing Minnesota.

The Gophers are a top 15-20 team this year with or without Washington.. hails from the same high school as one Eric Harris. Minnesota has recruited plenty to get their name out, Washington didn't even bother with another official visit... once they got him on campus, he committed here fast because McKinley Wright was potentially going to commit and they could only take one.

I'm looking forward to people saying "HOW DID HE GET AMIR COFFEY, REGGIE LYNCH, NATE MASON AND JORDAN MURPHY?" Let's check Northwestern and Penn St now as well and see how they're recruiting better.
You would be lying if you weren't a little bit concerned. Every fan has looked at all recruits and thought "does this make sense?" Washington doesn't. I'm not saying they paid him but the thought has crossed my mind. Also, it wouldn't make me happy. The Gopher basketball program is the only Gopher sports program I cheered for growing up.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

I don't think the FBI really is going to stop at the NCAA..

It starts earlier.

How many of the top High School teams also have deals with Nike, Adidas, etc...?
Off the top of my head I can name 3 in the TC.

How much influence happens on their college choice?
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

This cant be just a basketball only thing either...can it? I'm assuming this kind of thing is happening in all the big revenue producing sports.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Laugh at Louisville and Rick Pitino if you want, but your school could be next

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... d-be-next/

If you're a college basketball fan, you would be wise to check your schadenfreude at the door.
There's been no shortage of it this week, the chuckling at other schools' misfortunes in the midst of the federal investigation that has rocked this sport and several of its most powerful programs.

Because if this week you are reveling in the legal and athletic troubles of programs like the University of Louisville – which placed its Hall of Fame coach, Rick Pitino, on unpaid leave Wednesday in advance of his presumed firing once the 10-day waiting period written into his contract passes – next week the feds might be coming knocking on your school's door.

The desire to mock others' misfortunes is as great in the tribal world of college athletics as any other corner of America, save for our politics. Our visceral hatred of rival schools is one of the things that makes college sports so special. The reason ESPN's "College Gameday" has become a Saturday morning institution is because of the hundreds of signs well-lubricated students draw up to mock their opponents.
But if you're spending this week ripping the schools and rogue actors implicated in the massive FBI sting that has landed 10 people in federal custody so far – if you're laughing at Pitino and Louisville, if you're calling Oklahoma State, Auburn, USC and Arizona the dirtiest programs in college basketball, if you believe Adidas was the one shoe company that was at the root of all this corruption – well, you're about to get a lesson in the rapidly expanding tentacles of an ongoing federal investigation.

If you thought this scandal was limited to only Adidas – well, on Wednesday came reports that the FBI had subpoenaed employees of and documents from Nike's Elite Youth Basketball League grassroots division.

If you thought Adidas executive Jim Gatto was the mob boss who turned Adidas into this dirtiest part of this dirty recruiting world – well, perhaps you didn't notice that another of the businessmen arrested this week in connection to this scandal, Merl Code, used to be Nike's director of Elite Youth Basketball.

If you think Pitino and the four arrested assistant coaches are the only heads that will roll in college basketball over this, well, you've got another think coming.

Fans like to believe that their school is the school that does it the right way. And coaches love to further those narratives. Some of them are telling the truth, and try to abide by every rule in the book. Others are bald-faced liars. And you can't tell the difference between the good actors and the bad actors in this murky world of big-money amateur athletics. I know I can't.

The reason is because this sort of corruption is so baked into today's sport of college basketball. So baked in that it's not even referred to as cheating – instead, it's called getting things done. Elite recruits are routinely referred to as being "Nike kids" or "Under Armour kids" or "Adidas kids." The price of getting a recruit in the door is the price of doing business.

On CBSSports.com's Eye on College Basketball podcast, my colleague Gary Parrish spoke about this. (Parrish and Matt Norlander always do great podcasts, but I couldn't recommend this week's highly enough.)

"The role that shoe companies play in the recruitment of players, whether it's Adidas, Nike or Under Armour, has been so normalized within the sport that (coaches) don't even really consider it cheating.," Parrish said.

Alas, it is. It's also illegal. But the deep tentacles that shoe companies have in this hoops world means that it's virtually impossible to avoid these relationships. Sometimes they turn sordid, like the ones detailed in this week's announcement of a federal investigation. Sometimes they are above board. But the line between corruption and rule abiding is blurred in a world where coaches make millions while athletes play for free, where shoe companies pay millions for sponsorships but business relationships with players are strictly against the rules.
There are plenty of coaches who slept well on Tuesday night, knowing that they have always followed the rules to the letter of the law. There are plenty more who didn't sleep a wink, knowing that their name could be easily be the next one linked to this scandal.
This isn't about Pitino. It's not about a handful of assistant coaches who profited off their relationship with elite college athletes. It's not about one shoe company that allegedly paid recruits and their families handsomely to attend their preferred school.

It's about a whole system that's set up to reward this sort of behavior.

This week, you may feel absolutely certain that your school didn't participate. But I would recommend you do not celebrate now, because this scandal has the potential to spread its tentacles deeper into this sport than you'd ever imagine.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Better hope our boy Richie didn't get the trickle down effect. I'm not riding Richie, he might be clean. Brother Smith though? OoOoWwEee! #CleanProgram
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Brother Smith gave 2 fucks what you wore to the game. Converse? Reebok? Roo's? No fuck given. Jist run his zones and there was a chance for success. #OldSchool
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:38 am Brother Smith gave 2 fucks what you wore to the game. Converse? Reebok? Roo's? No fuck given. Jist run his zones and there was a chance for success. #OldSchool
Brother Smith didn't have one winning season in the big ten... the guy you wanted fired and thought was incompetent just had a winning big ten season with HIS OWN RECRUITS.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:31 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:25 pm

You would be lying if you weren't a little bit concerned. Every fan has looked at all recruits and thought "does this make sense?" Washington doesn't. I'm not saying they paid him but the thought has crossed my mind. Also, it wouldn't make me happy. The Gopher basketball program is the only Gopher sports program I cheered for growing up.
I'm 100% not concerned.. if someone gave Washington money to attend the U, he won't play here and the coach(es) will be gone. This program is bigger than the head coach now given the commitment to facilities and student-athlete package the U of M. The football program just had Les Miles begging for the job... the Gophers could call up JB Bickerstaff tomorrow and hire him and he'd be one of the best coaches immediately in the big ten.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm very nervous.

I think you are seeing things differently than I am.
1. This is the FBI, not the NCAA. We're talking about the U.S. Army vs. Farmington Police.
2. It seems you're suggesting this was the investigation. I think this is just the beginning of the investigation. They've arrested a small group of weasels. Those weasels will be very happy to turn on other weasels to reduce their sentences. CBB is full of weasels and many more will be uncovered.
True, a lot of stuff could get uncovered now.. I'll be anxious to see what happens. Louisville and Arizona are top 10-15 programs over the last 20-25 years.. I am curious what the fall out is for everyone involved. Are there sanctions against the teams for the illegal activity of few?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Back to Washington.. I still don't understand why it's hard to believe the Gophers got him.. he's as highly rated as Devoe Joseph was when Tubby got him with his first real class. Yes, Tubby and Pitino have different careers but the Gophers are a program on the rise and were one of the first schools to offer Washington and his buddy Sid Wilson when they were freshman or sophomores... this Gophers staff (unlike the previous one) are hitting the roads recruiting as hard as anyone.
The Replacements

NYC does not seem to be a place where Gophers get their recruits. They are not a national program and were they a program on the rise at the time he committed?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:41 pm NYC does not seem to be a place where Gophers get their recruits. They are not a national program and were they a program on the rise at the time he committed?
Yes.. if you couldn't see they were better on paper last year prior to the season, I don't know what to tell you. I said Pitino should get fired if they weren't at least a bubble team based on the roster they had.. they did a lot better than that obviously.

McBrayer/Harris/Washington... recent northeast guys. They were in the final group for Whitehead in 2014 too. Nate Mason is from out east...
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

This story has 2 ways to go. Either blows the lid off all recruiting for the major college sports, or this group is the scapegoat.

The question is. What way does the public want it to go? For anyone to say ..wow, cant believe this is happening, well your head is way to far up your ass.

between the schools and high end alums, the cash flow to players and families is like a fcking atm machine.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

This really brought down some big time coaches.