Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

College hockey

Discuss college sports here
Jimtown guy

Re: College hockey

Post by Jimtown guy »

Cripes wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:57 pm
Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:23 pm
Cripes wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:27 pm Dang, Huskies got spanked by Union. Pretty rusty coming off the break?
Don’t feel to bad. UND lost to 50th ranked Canisus
Hire Hakstol? :mrgreen:
Those chants are loud and clear in Grand Forks
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

BC gets beat by ASU .
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Sellingguy wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:29 am BC gets beat by ASU .
ASU has beaten many teams this year
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

And Canisius completes the sweep. One of the lowest points in UND hockey that I can remember
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Rodents with a solid win ovah Penn State tonight!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

USA goes down to the Finns 3-2. Third period was action packed. USA went 0-5 on the powerplay and that came back to haunt them. Next year they are in the same group as Russia and Canada. Ouch
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:40 pm USA goes down to the Finns 3-2. Third period was action packed. USA went 0-5 on the powerplay and that came back to haunt them. Next year they are in the same group as Russia and Canada. Ouch
As the finland coach said before canada, all the pressure is on them and we can just play. Not alot of fire in the usa kids.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:54 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:40 pm USA goes down to the Finns 3-2. Third period was action packed. USA went 0-5 on the powerplay and that came back to haunt them. Next year they are in the same group as Russia and Canada. Ouch
As the finland coach said before canada, all the pressure is on them and we can just play. Not alot of fire in the usa kids.
I thought USA had the better scoring chances but just couldn’t convert. Looked to me that they had plenty of fire
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:17 pm
I thought USA had the better scoring chances but just couldn’t convert. Looked to me that they had plenty of fire
fins just look relaxed is maybe a better way to put it. btw, back to the sioux sucking. Did the sioux or gophers have anyone in the tourney? I know st cloud did.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Sellingguy wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:31 pm
Jimtown guy wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:17 pm

fins just look relaxed is maybe a better way to put it. btw, back to the sioux sucking. Did the sioux or gophers have anyone in the tourney? I know st cloud did.
None from either
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Finally some goal scoring. UND blew a 2-0 lead only to comeback from a 3-2 deficit to win 4-3 in overtime over CC. Again they outshoot a team badly but this time at least 4 of them found the back of net unlike at Canisius
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Heading to the UMD / SCSU game in Duluth tonight. I'm a passive alum of SCSU butt my kid goes to UMD, so I need to work out some conflict.
Prolly root for the Bulldogs.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

Ask Not wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 am Heading to the UMD / SCSU game in Duluth tonight. I'm a passive alum of SCSU butt my kid goes to UMD, so I need to work out some conflict.
SCSU split's the series with UMD..Big win for the Huskies tonight.
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Jaamz wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:19 pm
Nancy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 am Heading to the UMD / SCSU game in Duluth tonight. I'm a passive alum of SCSU butt my kid goes to UMD, so I need to work out some conflict.
It was big to salvage a split up there. Huge series against Western Michigan next weekend. Both games on FSN plus. :thumbsup:
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Jaamz wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:19 pm
Nancy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 am Heading to the UMD / SCSU game in Duluth tonight. I'm a passive alum of SCSU butt my kid goes to UMD, so I need to work out some conflict.
They got outplayed 2 periods to 1. It wasn't very close. SCSU put away many of their few, but quality chances. UMD spent the night in the Huskies' zone but didn't really turn it into a lot of good chances.

The guy sitting next to me said the opposite was true the night before, so a split is the fair outcome.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

I noticed FS2 picked up the SCSU-Western game last night.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

UND needs at least a split if not a sweep over SCSU this coming weekend at the Ralph. Not real optimistic about either the way this season is going. Won’t see any of them unfortunately as I’ll be in the cities with family
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Jimtown guy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:29 pm UND needs at least a split if not a sweep over SCSU this coming weekend at the Ralph. Not real optimistic about either the way this season is going. Won’t see any of them unfortunately as I’ll be in the cities with family
I think friday is national tv game...
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Sellingguy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:05 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:29 pm UND needs at least a split if not a sweep over SCSU this coming weekend at the Ralph. Not real optimistic about either the way this season is going. Won’t see any of them unfortunately as I’ll be in the cities with family
I think friday is national tv game...
Be in Waconia watching my daughter coach her high school team
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Seems like the Huskies always lose on CBS Sports so you have great chance at a split!
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Been awhile since I checked the Gophers hockey team out. Pretty fun game tonight. That third period was crazy.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:05 pm Been awhile since I checked the Gophers hockey team out. Pretty fun game tonight. That third period was crazy.
You got that right Bubu…..CRAZY third!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hornets wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:09 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:05 pm Been awhile since I checked the Gophers hockey team out. Pretty fun game tonight. That third period was crazy.
You got that right Bubu…..CRAZY third!
Tomorrow should be fun. Sold out crowd vs a rival. Either gonna send the Gophers into some great momentum, not just for the team, but the fans...or a complete deflate.
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

HusKies Win in Grand Forks 3-1...Fickertails with 15 shots on goal for the for the game.. Lol
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

Jaamz wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:14 am HusKies Win in Grand Forks 3-1...Fickertails with 15 shots on goal for the for the game.. Lol
and 2 solid assists from sioux players on the 2 goals. I about shit when anderson ruled in favor of the sioux on the no goal. That puck was clearly over the line.
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

Sellingguy wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:51 am
Jaamz wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:14 am HusKies Win in Grand Forks 3-1...Fickertails with 15 shots on goal for the for the game.. Lol
and 2 solid assists from sioux players on the 2 goals. I about shit when anderson ruled in favor of the sioux on the no goal. That puck was clearly over the line.
Yeah i thought that puck was across the goal line too..What's up with the Sioux this year?..Are they that young?....I actually like when ND are one of the top teams...It's just more fun ..Could they seriously consider bring Hakstol back?
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

UND played really well in the first. Their goalie kept them in it the rest of the game. Huskies tilted the ice quite a bit. Lol at Todd Anderson. He can’t stop sucking.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Put a fork in em. The Sioux are done.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a real good article from today's strib. i forgot how many times the gophers played the sioux that year. i remember broten's goal though. :mrgreen:

Gophers goalie Steve Janaszak makes a save against Bowling Green on March 19, 1979, as defenseman Mike Greeder (28) swoops in to help.

The season began 500 miles to the northwest of Minneapolis, finished triumphantly 700 miles to the southeast and planted the seeds of what grew into the biggest upset in American sports history.

Members of Minnesota’s 1979 national championship team will gather on Saturday night at 3M Arena at Mariucci, as the Gophers men’s hockey team takes on Wisconsin, for a celebration of the 40th anniversary of their feat, which was secured with a tense, thrilling 4-3 victory over rival North Dakota on March 24, 1979, at the Olympia in Detroit. The reunion will honor the Gophers’ third NCAA championship in a six-year span in the 1970s and hearken back to the program’s glory days.

“You didn’t realize what a golden time for Gopher hockey that it was, because you’re right in the middle of it,’’ said Steve Ulseth, a sophomore forward at the time.

The mastermind of the Gophers’ hockey pinnacle, of course, was Herb Brooks, the innovative taskmaster of a coach who restored the program to a national power and a year later led the U.S. Olympic hockey team — with eight 1979 Gophers and 13 Minnesotans on its roster — to its colossal, 4-3 upset of the mighty Soviet Union on its way to the gold medal in the Lake Placid Olympic Games. Brooks died in car accident at age 66 on Aug. 11, 2003.

As he did with the Miracle on Ice team, Brooks knew the right motivational buttons to push for his ’79 Gophers team, too. In this case, the coach predicted before the season that his team would win the national championship.

“When he predicted that, I pretty much thought, ‘Wow, here we go. We have to produce,’ ’’ said Eric Strobel, a junior forward on the team and 1980 Olympian. “That was a big challenge.’’

That was especially true for senior goalie Steve Janaszak, a returning starter from the 1977-78 team that did not make the six-team NCAA tournament. Did Janaszak feel pressure from his coach’s bold words? “Just a touch,’’ he said.

Strong start

The Gophers began their march to a 32-11-1 record and national title by facing the foe they would see seven times that season — North Dakota. Minnesota opened with a 6-5 victory over the Fighting Sioux in an exhibition game on Oct. 20 in Minot, N.D., then topped UND 5-3 the next night in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game in Eveleth, Minn. With Brooks implementing a European style of play that he would use with the Olympic team, the Gophers bolted to a 17-4 record by early January.

“It probably was one of the first times I’ve seen him be a little more creative,’’ said forward Phil Verchota, a senior alternate captain and 1980 Olympian. “… He had players who could control the puck better. We had the skill set to be able to do that.’’

That skill included a trio of forwards who topped 70 points for the season — junior center Steve Christoff, junior winger Don Micheletti and freshman center Neal Broten — plus defenseman Bill Baker, the senior captain who had 54 points.

“It was a different team. We won it in ’76 when I was a freshman, and that was a hard hat/lunch pail kind of team,’’ Baker said. “This was a little higher skilled. It was just a superfun year.’’

The season was not without its hiccups, though. From Jan. 12 through Feb. 17, the Gophers endured a 4-7-1 stretch in which they were swept in series at Denver and Notre Dame. “We hit bottom there,’’ Janaszak said. Added Baker, “Herb gave us a pretty good tongue-lashing.’’

From then on, however, the Gophers won 10 of their final 11 games. The only loss was 4-2 to North Dakota in the regular-season finale at Williams Arena, a defeat that gave the Fighting Sioux the WCHA championship over the Gophers.

Minnesota rebounded to win the WCHA playoffs, with sweeps of Michigan Tech and Minnesota Duluth. That got the Gophers into the five-team NCAA field, in which they were host to Bowling Green in a quarterfinal, while North Dakota had a spot in the Final Four as the West’s top seed.

The Gophers beat Bowling Green 6-3, then faced New Hampshire in the semifinals on March 22 in Detroit. Before the game, Brooks took Strobel off Broten’s wing and put him at center on another line. Strobel wasn’t thrilled with the move, but he responded with a hat trick in the 4-3 win over the Wildcats. “Guess what?’’ Strobel said. “It all worked out.’’

Then came the championship game two days later, in which the Gophers faced North Dakota, a 4-2 semifinal winner over Dartmouth.

“I don’t know if it was destined, but after losing the last game of the season at Williams Arena for the WCHA title, it was poetic justice that we would find them again in the finals of the NCAAs,’’ Janaszak said.

Rivals clash again

In the seventh meeting between the Gophers and Sioux — “It wasn’t friendly hockey, I can tell you that,’’ said Mike Ramsey, a freshman defenseman and future Olympian — Minnesota bolted to a 2-0 first-period lead on goals by Christoff at 4:11 and John Meredith at 8:05. After North Dakota’s Bill Himmelright halved the lead at 17:10 with a power-play goal, Joe Baker scored for a 3-1 Gophers lead with 38 seconds left in the first.

North Dakota’s Kevin Maxwell trimmed the lead to 3-2 late in the second period, setting up a dramatic final 20 minutes that included an iconic goal in Gophers history.

Less than three minutes into the third period, Broten skated the puck into the UND zone, deked past one Sioux player, maneuvered around another, dived to ice and chipped the puck over goalie Bob Iwabuchi for a 4-2 lead and the game-winning goal.

“That goal was the beginning of so many good things that came off his stick in his career,’’ Verchota said of Broten, the former prep star from Roseau, Minn., who went on to play in the NHL from 1981-97.

“That is THE standout goal in my mind, forever and ever,’’ Janaszak added.

With more than 17 minutes left to play, there still was work to be done, and North Dakota cut the lead to 4-3 on Marc Chorney’s goal with 10:04 to play. But the Gophers survived the final 10 minutes — foreshadowing Team USA’s tense finish against the Soviets — to clinch the title.

“It was nice to beat them in the one that mattered the most,’’ Verchota said.

Nearly 40 years later, the team will gather again, and its impact isn’t lost on the Gophers current coach.

“The legacy of that group is probably deep into the hockey fiber of our culture in our state,’’ Bob Motzko said.

“It’s a pretty special group, and it’s going to mean a lot to the hockey community to have them back in the building.’’