Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Bison win another championship

Discuss college sports here
bubu dubu.

Bison win another championship

Post by bubu dubu. »

6 in 7 years. Greatest dynasty in the history of sports?
Jimtown guy

Re: Bison win another championship

Post by Jimtown guy »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:20 pm 6 in 7 years. Greatest dynasty in the history of sports?
And QB and all running backs will be back. Winning championships is expected at NDSU
milquetoast

Post by milquetoast »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:46 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:20 pm 6 in 7 years. Greatest dynasty in the history of sports?
And QB and all running backs will be back. Winning championships is expected at NDSU
Yep - just like it is expected at Mt Union & UW-Whitewater ;)

Greatest dynasty in history of sports - doubt it. UCLA won 7 straight in hoops, Arkansas won 12 straight Indoor Track championships, Iowa with 9 straight wrestling championships - and not to mention lots of D2 & D3 teams with really large national championship streaks.

Don't get me wrong - NDSU football is a joy to watch & they are owning the D1 FCS league. Great fans, well run team with lots of pride - hope they continue to do well. Lets hope they don't ruin it by trying to take the next step up.
When fact is fiction and TV reality
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

milquetoast wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:27 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:46 pm
Yep - just like it is expected at Mt Union & UW-Whitewater ;)

Greatest dynasty in history of sports - doubt it. UCLA won 7 straight in hoops, Arkansas won 12 straight Indoor Track championships, Iowa with 9 straight wrestling championships - and not to mention lots of D2 & D3 teams with really large national championship streaks.

Don't get me wrong - NDSU football is a joy to watch & they are owning the D1 FCS league. Great fans, well run team with lots of pride - hope they continue to do well. Lets hope they don't ruin it by trying to take the next step up.
Far from the greatest dynasty for sure but one hell of a run regardless. I highly doubt they move up anytime soon. Football team is giving them great press for the school and who says winning is boring. Stay where they are at and enjoy the success that comes with it.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

A bit of a faux-National Title game on Friday between SDSU and NDSU, because the FCS refuses to put them on opposite sides of the bracket.

Here's a bit of a primer of their recent history for non-FCS fans:

The five best NDSU/SDSU games of the Division I era

Matt Zimmer | Sioux Falls Argus Leader Dec. 11, 2018 at 12:04 p.m.

North Dakota State and South Dakota State took the Division I plunge together in 2004, transitioning from the North Central Conference and Division II and taking their football programs to the Division I-AA (now Division I FCS) level.

The Jackrabbits and Bison hadn't had a particularly heated football rivalry in the Division II era, in part because NDSU was so much stronger of a program and in part because they had their own in-state rivals: The Jacks had USD, the Bison had North Dakota.

But as they made the move up, the schools turned to each other for support during the transition, and slowly a rivalry took shape.

As the Bison prepare to host the Jacks for a nationally-televised FCS playoff semifinal on Friday night, the football rivalry between the schools has never been hotter.

NDSU is going for its seventh national championship in the last eight seasons, while the Jacks have become one of the few contenders with the ability to stand up to them. They beat the Bison in Fargo in 2016, and handed them their only loss during last year's title run.

But the playoffs have been a different story, as the Bison have won all three meetings, two of which were not close. Overall, NDSU has won 11 of 17 meetings between the schools since the transition.

Here are the five best, in chronological order:

Taylor Murray (77) and his Jackrabbbit teammates raise the Dakota Marker Trophy following a come-from-behind win over North Dakota State University in the 38th Annual Beef Bowl in Brookings Saturday, Oct. 9, 2004.

2004 - Jacks 24, Bison 21

The first Dakota Marker battle went SDSU's way, as Brad Nelson hit Chris Molitor with a 22-yard touchdown pass in the final minute to give the Jacks the win at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

SDSU trailed 21-17 with just over two minutes to play, when Nelson led them on a 14-play, 80-yard drive that included a pair of fourth down conversions.

Ryan Crawford, South Dakota State's second string quarterback, came in for the injured Ryan Berry in 2008 in the first half during their game at the Fargodome on the campus of North Dakota State University in Fargo, ND.

2008 - Jacks 25, Bison 24

Late heroics got it done for SDSU again, in what was the first road win in the series. Ryan Berry found JaRon Harris for a 1-yard touchdown with 2:20 to play, but instead of kicking a game-tying PAT the Jacks went for two, and Berry found Mike Steffen to put SDSU in front.

The Bison still had time to rally, but a Conrad Kjerstad interception sealed the victory.

2014 - Bison 27, Jacks 24

In the school's second meeting in the FCS playoffs, the Jacks were poised to knock off the 3-time defending national champions and perhaps make their own run at the crown, but they couldn't quite finish the job.

The Bison, who had beaten SDSU convincingly in the regular season, took a 14-0 lead, but the Jacks roared back with 17 unanswered points on two Zach Zenner touchdown runs and a field goal.

SDSU's Zach Zenner (31) carries the ball during the second half of an FCS playoff game against NDSU on Saturday, Dec. 6, 2014, in Fargo, N.D. The Bison defeated the Jackrabbits 27 to 24.

After the Bison went ahead 20-17, the Jacks answered with a 3-yard touchdown pass from Austin Sumner to Jake Wieneke that gave them a 24-20 lead with 3:18 to go.

But Carson Wentz rallied the Bison, and found RJ Urzendowski on a 12-yard touchdown strike with 54 seconds left to send NDSU on to the next round, and, eventually, their fourth straight national championship.

South Dakota State quarterback Taryn Christion points to the SDSU fans after throwing the game-winning touchdown late in the fourth quarter of the Jackrabbits' 19-17 on Saturday at the Fargodome in Fargo, N.D.

2016 - Jacks 19, Bison 17

SDSU snapped an eight-game losing streak to the Bison and brought the Marker back to Brookings for the first time since 2009 by edging NDSU in Fargo despite a mistake-filled effort.

Taryn Christion dominated in his first game against the Bison, throwing for 303 yards and rushing for 141. But red zone failures threatened to cost the Jacks the game despite their success moving the ball. Luckily for them the defense kept them in it, and Christion found Wieneke for a 2-yard touchdown pass on the final play of the game to give SDSU the win.

South Dakota State’s C.J. Wilson (8) gives a stiff arm to North Dakota State’s Robbie Grimsley during the first quarter of the Jackrabbits’ matchup against the Bison Saturday afternoon at the Fargodome in Fargo.

2018 - Bison 21, Jacks 17

It was only a couple months ago. The Bison brought the marker back to Fargo after a two-year absence after fighting off another hot start from the SDSU offense.

The Jacks took a 7-0 lead on a touchdown pass from Christion to Cade Johnson, and appeared poised to go up two scores until Christion threw an interception in the end zone as SDSU looked to score.

The Bison took advantage and went into halftime with a 14-7 lead, only for the Jacks to go back in front 17-14 on a 61-yard touchdown run by Isaac Wallace.

The Jacks would not score again, however, as a 5-yard touchdown run by Easton Stick in the fourth quarter provided the winning margin.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

I expect another very close game tonight. I’ll go Bison 24 Jacks 20
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Bizon on their way back to Frisco after kicking 20 kinds of shit out of the Jackrabbits. It never gets old
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:07 pm Bizon on their way back to Frisco after kicking 20 kinds of shit out of the Jackrabbits. It never gets old
It sure gets old from the other side of the matchup.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

NDSU vs Eastern Washington January 5 in Frisco TX. As always there will close to 25,000 Bison fans invading Frisco.
Cripes

Post by Cripes »

Bison were impressive on Saturday. That senior RB is a beast.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Jimtown guy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:07 pm Bizon on their way back to Frisco after kicking 20 kinds of shit out of the Jackrabbits. It never gets old
It does kind of get old. The Bison are out of their league good. I understand not going to FBS, as they would never get a shot at a championship, due to how the FBS operates...but what the hell else do they have to prove at the FCS level?

Living in Fargo now (or rather Moorhead), I sense the fan base getting bored too. They just coast through the season. There's really no big game all season, until the Championship. People here now seem to have a bigger routing interest in Wentz/the Eagles, as there's some actual competition, and Wentz is now what I have dubbed, the Prince of NoDak.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:38 am
It does kind of get old. The Bison are out of their league good. I understand not going to FBS, as they would never get a shot at a championship, due to how the FBS operates...but what the hell else do they have to prove at the FCS level?

Living in Fargo now (or rather Moorhead), I sense the fan base getting bored too. They just coast through the season. There's really no big game all season, until the Championship. People here now seem to have a bigger routing interest in Wentz/the Eagles, as there's some actual competition, and Wentz is now what I have dubbed, the Prince of NoDak.
They need a conference invite and then a bigger stadium is what I understand.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Make that 7 titles in 8 years for the Bison. Unreal run and I don’t see it ending anytime soon
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

These pussies should move up to the big boy division.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

DC4MVP wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:34 pm These pussies should move up to the big boy division.
Hate to see how good they would be if they were men
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Since 2011 --
112 wins.
8 losses.
7 national championships.
milquetoast

Post by milquetoast »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:33 pm Since 2011 --
112 wins.
8 losses.
Awesome run ... and they break the tie with GEo So for most national championships (in FCS)..

So now does NDSU continue to dominate the FCS & draw fans or do they pull a Geo Southern and then hope to get to the GoDaddy or Camellia Bowls?
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

milquetoast wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:50 pm
112 wins.
8 losses.
Awesome run ... and they break the tie with GEo So for most national championships (in FCS)..

So now does NDSU continue to dominate the FCS & draw fans or do they pull a Geo Southern and then hope to get to the GoDaddy or Camellia Bowls?
The majority of the fans say stay where they are. I say stay where they are too.
Last edited by Jimtown guy on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milquetoast

Post by milquetoast »

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:14 pm
milquetoast wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:50 pm
112 wins.
8 losses.

The majority of the fans say stay where they are. I say stay where that are too.
I agree

I see another Dakota school is going D1 - Augustana down in Sioux Falls. That will make 5 D1 schools in the Dakota's, and only one in Minnesota (not counting schools just with D1 hockey).
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

3C9B5B4A-C47E-499D-8C46-A46F37E1F12F.jpeg
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Basketball team going dancing. Did not see that coming
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »