Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Some good College Football this weekend boy's!!

Discuss college sports here
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Some good College Football this weekend boy's!!

Post by RubeTube »

Double OT
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Georgia gets a trip back to Georgia for the National Championship
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the dawgs punch their ticket to the big game!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

alabama on the board. 3-0.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Pretty boring game. Alabama really out playing them. Committee got the 4 teams right.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

an SEC-eerr-national championship-game next monday. alabama's defense too tough for clemson to compete. i'm surprised by the domination really.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it's almost time to kick things off for the national championship. BOOM!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:49 pm it's almost time to kick things off for the national championship. BOOM!
Georgia wins this thing tonight!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Go Bulldogs!!!!!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

What a game. I cant stand Bama or Saban but what a ballsy move to play a bunch of freshman(Including QB) when no one could get anything going.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Wow! Let's go Dawgs!! Glad he missed that! OT!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Damn I feel bad for that kicker. He completely felt the pressure.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Holy Shit!!!!
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Best college coach of all time, no question
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Dan33185 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm Best college coach of all time, no question
The adjustments made in this game were staggering by Alabama. That may be the best coached game I have ever seen.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

That has to be absolutely brutal for Georgia.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Miley Cyrus

Post by Miley Cyrus »

Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:15 pm
Dan33185 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 pm Best college coach of all time, no question
The adjustments made in this game were staggering by Alabama. That may be the best coached game I have ever seen.
To bring in a freshman QB to start the second half took balls. Not a Saban fan but damn what a move and obviously it paid off with a National Title.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Forgot it was on!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:52 am
Sargeant Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:15 pm
To bring in a freshman QB to start the second half took balls. Not a Saban fan but damn what a move and obviously it paid off with a National Title.
he's a true college football legend. the immediate dawg turnover after the tide turnover in the third quarter was the biggest play of the game. they run the ball and add at least a field goal they're national champs.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 am
Sargeant Sargeant Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:15 pm

he's a true college football legend. the immediate dawg turnover after the tide turnover in the third quarter was the biggest play of the game. they run the ball and add at least a field goal they're national champs.
So many variables in a game like that. Missed field goals, missed penalties, untimely penalties, and so on. It all added up to one hell of a game.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 am

So many variables in a game like that. Missed field goals, missed penalties, untimely penalties, and so on. It all added up to one hell of a game.
another year where the four team playoff looks like it's just right to me. last year's championship game and then this year's one semi-final goes into overtime and the other is the two teams that played for the national championship last january. capped by an overtime championship game.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:36 am
Jimtown guy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 am

another year where the four team playoff looks like it's just right to me. last year's championship game and then this year's one semi-final goes into overtime and the other is the two teams that played for the national championship last january. capped by an overtime championship game.
Sorry, but I think this is nonsense. Why? Because the Champ almost didnt fn make it. And more importantly, why didnt the champ almost not make it? Because of some silly and arbitrary decision that only 4 teams make it in spite of every other college sport and every other professional sport have at least 8 making it.

Consider this also - some years its impossible for two SEC teams to make it, or two Big10 teams. Why? Who cares? This year these two were clearly the best two teams in CF and one damn near didnt even make it. Its asinine, its needless and it is such an easy fix. The point is simple - give all the truly elite teams their chip and their chair. All conferences get a team in, and its extremely likely a cindarella like UCF gets in. Its so easy.

While I am on my pulpit, as truly great a game as it was, I will state again its embarrassing that a semi final and a title game are allowed to be decided by this asinine college OT rule. I despise it so much. Play 60 minutes of awesome football and then decide it with pretend football. For the last 1/3 of the game Alabama defense destroyed Ga. In OT they force them to LOSE YARDAGE. And they still could have lost the game as GA was donated a fg by the asinine rules. I do not understand why this OT scam is not ripped more than it is. NFL has it right.

Ok, off the pulpit now! What a great coach. Saban is simply unbelievable. To have the stones to make that qb change is just amazing. I will say this also - I think Kirby Smart and Ga will be a fn force for a long long time. That guy coached his ass off and was only slightly outdone by a living legend. Wow, what a great end to the season.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i never thought it was even an issue that alabama wouldn't be in the tournament. and it wasn't. just a talking point for the talking heads. the committee was never going to take OSU over the tide.
hategreenticemase

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:04 am i never thought it was even an issue that alabama wouldn't be in the tournament. and it wasn't. just a talking point for the talking heads. the committee was never going to take OSU over the tide.
I dont know that I disagree with you, but its not the point. I dont care that "it worked out". That is this year, yes, luckily Bama wasnt needlessly (note "needlessly" is the most important word in this sentence and central to my entire point) left out. If OSU doesnt shit the bed vs Iowa, there is no question they are in. Then either GA or Bama (extremely likely Bama) are left out. NEEDLESSLY.

A team already got screwed the first damn year. TCU NEEDLESSLY left out. They may have been best team in country. I dont care that that year a dogshit and horribly overrated FSU team does get in (they were undefeated and no chance not making it) even though everyone was fairly sure Oregon would destroy them. I did care that a very elite team DIDNT get in. Why? Again, why?

I dont want to have to get lucky to have the right teams. IF you have 5 conf champs and 3 at larges make it, you will 100% of the time capture ALL truly elite and deserving teams. Who gives a flying F if a quarterfinal game is a dud? Again, if OSU beats Ia, this years Champ isnt even in it. WHY????

Let me ask you a separate question - do you share my hatred for the current OT rules for college?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i wouldn't say it's hatred-but i agree that i really don't like it. it seems like an unnatural way to settle a tie game.
hategreenticemase

weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:26 am i wouldn't say it's hatred-but i agree that i really don't like it. it seems like an unnatural way to settle a tie game.
It baffles me that it isnt villified more than it is. I thought Kirk - the best, most logical and common sense color guy in any sport - may comment on it. I would love to know his take on it.

What drives me nuts is, it eliminates so many critical parts of the game - field position, two thirds of special teams (P and KO) and that it can skew the result and or give unfair advantage to one of the teams. The way Bama played on defense the second half I just dont think they give up a fg even, much less a td in normal football conditions. They play almost as well as a D can in OT, and they still reward GA with 3 points. Case study for what I hate about the OT system.

NFL got it right. Not sure I totally like "if first team scores a TD they win" part - as now coin toss matters again, but I strongly prefer it to anything they did prior. Id make it simply BOTH teams must either KO or P once and if first team scores a TD, then second team gets ball but if they score they MUST go for 2.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:24 am
weimy froob wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:04 am i never thought it was even an issue that alabama wouldn't be in the tournament. and it wasn't. just a talking point for the talking heads. the committee was never going to take OSU over the tide.
I dont know that I disagree with you, but its not the point. I dont care that "it worked out". That is this year, yes, luckily Bama wasnt needlessly (note "needlessly" is the most important word in this sentence and central to my entire point) left out. If OSU doesnt shit the bed vs Iowa, there is no question they are in. Then either GA or Bama (extremely likely Bama) are left out. NEEDLESSLY.

A team already got screwed the first damn year. TCU NEEDLESSLY left out. They may have been best team in country. I dont care that that year a dogshit and horribly overrated FSU team does get in (they were undefeated and no chance not making it) even though everyone was fairly sure Oregon would destroy them. I did care that a very elite team DIDNT get in. Why? Again, why?

I dont want to have to get lucky to have the right teams. IF you have 5 conf champs and 3 at larges make it, you will 100% of the time capture ALL truly elite and deserving teams. Who gives a flying F if a quarterfinal game is a dud? Again, if OSU beats Ia, this years Champ isnt even in it. WHY????

Let me ask you a separate question - do you share my hatred for the current OT rules for college?
So since the playoffs started you have one team you thought should of made it? That TCU team wasn't doing anything. I'm fine with the 4 teams. Don't turn this into the NBA or NHL. They got it right. You keep saying "If OSU didn't lose to Iowa" but they did.

I like the 4 teams setup but if they do add teams, 2 more only.

I like College OT more than the NFL's but I hear what you are saying. The best would be if both leagues had a full 10 min quarter no matter what happens.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

this year's semi-finals showed that there's no need to go to a bigger playoff format-again. clemson and bama are head and shoulders above the rest of college football. didn't even need a 4 team playoff this year.