Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: 2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by HeHateMe »

I'd be shocked if he landed here, did not do well at Wisconsin. Was a 4 star recruit out of HS, looked really good when I saw him at Target Center way back.

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am I'd be shocked if he landed here, did not do well at Wisconsin. Was a 4 star recruit out of HS, looked really good when I saw him at Target Center way back.

The game always looked a little too fast for him. Never looked confident shooting, passing or defending. Each year Badger fans thought the game might slow down for him but it never did. All reports are he worked hard and was good kid.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

The Replacements wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:23 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 am I'd be shocked if he landed here, did not do well at Wisconsin. Was a 4 star recruit out of HS, looked really good when I saw him at Target Center way back.

The game always looked a little too fast for him. Never looked confident shooting, passing or defending. Each year Badger fans thought the game might slow down for him but it never did. All reports are he worked hard and was good kid.
Gopher fans were absolutely crestfallen when he signed with the badgers. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:38 am

Gopher fans were absolutely crestfallen when he signed with the badgers. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.
He had his chance.. he wanted to commit but didn't pull the trigger. Jarvis Johnson did and then Jon Nwankwo was on campus and committed thus filling up the class. Luckily for Pitino, Nwakwo didn't work out and some guy named Murphy ended up being the last spot.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:59 am

He had his chance.. he wanted to commit but didn't pull the trigger. Jarvis Johnson did and then Jon Nwankwo was on campus and committed thus filling up the class. Luckily for Pitino, Nwakwo didn't work out and some guy named Murphy ended up being the last spot.
And we only got Murph cuz Smart left VCU and didn't take his recruit with him to Texas.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:06 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:59 am

And we only got Murph cuz Smart left VCU and didn't take his recruit with him to Texas.
Correct.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

His career is basically Michael Hurt. These were talented high school players who could do a little of everything. I saw Alex and Grand Rapids play against Lakeville North at Target Center. Macura destroyed Grand Rapids but Illikainen all around was solid, knocking down some shots, triple teamed most of the game. He and Hurt get to college and they're tentative. Alex was a classic stretch 4 mold and it looked like he had zero confidence playing basketball.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sherfield down to Wichita st, wake forest and Minnesota. They are in on Donnell Greshman but not sure how serious.

Ryan James not sure Jericho sims a) transfers and b) ends up here.

Hurt 100% to Duke now with Tre staying.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:08 pm Sherfield down to Wichita st, wake forest and Minnesota. They are in on Donnell Greshman but not sure how serious.

Gotta think we're the favorites for Sherfield.

I would prefer a big who can stretch the floor. Not that intrigued by Sims.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:08 pm Sherfield down to Wichita st, wake forest and Minnesota. They are in on Donnell Greshman but not sure how serious.

I never got the Jericho Sims heat to Minnesota. It always seemed to me folks trying to put stuff together. Oh well. Hope we get Sherfield.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:41 pm

I never got the Jericho Sims heat to Minnesota. It always seemed to me folks trying to put stuff together. Oh well. Hope we get Sherfield.
Think his dad played for the gophers, I think there is some stuff going on with him or he's just naturally an introvert so no one has any idea what he's ever thinking. Either way, doesn't sound like that's happening now. Of course there was talk about a medical waiver if he came home.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:40 pm

They have to be for Sherfield. I guess that Purdue game worked in Pitino's favor where he saw the guards out there for most of the game and figures he can slide in. Especially if Coffey is gone, it wouldn't be a surprise to see mainly three guard lineups with Gabe guarding the 3.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 am
Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:40 pm

They have to be for Sherfield. I guess that Purdue game worked in Pitino's favor where he saw the guards out there for most of the game and figures he can slide in. Especially if Coffey is gone, it wouldn't be a surprise to see mainly three guard lineups with Gabe guarding the 3.
If we're going to play more of a 3 guard line-up then I definitely agree with you on wanting both Gresham and Sherfield.

I wonder when we'll start hearing some names of grad transfer bigs we're going after?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Start going through this list:

https://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

SQ: do these kids/families get paid again when transferring?
Ketchup can be nuancy
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:45 pm SQ: do these kids/families get paid again when transferring?
Let’s hope so.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Grad transfer rumors have been circulating for a bit -- lot of people including myself thought Jericho Sims as a straight up transfer was the rumor but now some names are popping up. This one from Drexel would be fantastic.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The other name to watch is UNLV grad transfer Shakur Juiston. The connection with Rob Jeter is right there.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ur-juiston
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Either one of those guys would be huge pick-ups.

The Gophers could be really good next year if they landed one of those two, Coffey returns, and Sherfield signs.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:22 pm Grad transfer rumors have been circulating for a bit -- lot of people including myself thought Jericho Sims as a straight up transfer was the rumor but now some names are popping up. This one from Drexel would be fantastic.

Do you know if he has any previous connections with anyone on our coaching staff?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:11 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:22 pm Grad transfer rumors have been circulating for a bit -- lot of people including myself thought Jericho Sims as a straight up transfer was the rumor but now some names are popping up. This one from Drexel would be fantastic.

Do you know if he has any previous connections with anyone on our coaching staff?
I don't know of any but I think Ryan James has said there is one..... no specifics though.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

‏Jake @jakeweingarten
Caught up with UC Irvine transfer Max Hazzard, he told me that among the schools still mainly involved: Pittsburgh, Gonzaga, TCU, Minnesota, Cal, and Arizona.
Last edited by Hoop Dreams on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eurohopes @Eurohopes
2019 class German forward Isaiah Ihnen ('00) will begin his first visits on Thursday. Contrary to previous reports, he'll only visit Minnesota and TCU for now
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

TCU just landed small forward, Mickey Pearson today. This could possibly help us with Ihnen.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:39 pm
‏Jake @jakeweingarten
Caught up with UC Irvine transfer Max Hazzard, he told me that among the schools still mainly involved: Pittsburgh, Gonzaga, TCU, Minnesota, Cal, and Arizona.
Interesting to see MN connected to him more so than Gresham. Hazzard will pick Arizona or Gonzaga, you'd think, over MN.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 pm
Eurohopes @Eurohopes
2019 class German forward Isaiah Ihnen ('00) will begin his first visits on Thursday. Contrary to previous reports, he'll only visit Minnesota and TCU for now
Have to think the Gophers have a really good shot here. If they get Sherfield and Demir, this would be the final scholarship available until they find out about Coffey's plans.

Oturu/Curry/Freeman
Demir/Oturu/Ihnen
Coffey/Hurt/Williams
Kalscheur/Willis
Carr/Sherfield

That looks pretty good actually.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:52 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:39 pm
‏Jake @jakeweingarten
Interesting to see MN connected to him more so than Gresham. Hazzard will pick Arizona or Gonzaga, you'd think, over MN.
Agreed, especially since he's a west coast kid (Los Angeles). Those programs might actually have more playing time available than us if Sherfield commits and Coffey stays.
Last edited by Hoop Dreams on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:54 pm
Eurohopes @Eurohopes
Have to think the Gophers have a really good shot here. If they get Sherfield and Demir, this would be the final scholarship available until they find out about Coffey's plans.

Oturu/Curry/Freeman
Demir/Oturu/Ihnen
Coffey/Hurt/Williams
Kalscheur/Willis
Carr/Sherfield

I honestly think that could be a top 4 or 5 team in the Big Ten next season.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:58 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:54 pm

Oturu/Curry/Freeman
Demir/Oturu/Ihnen
Coffey/Hurt/Williams
Kalscheur/Willis
Carr/Sherfield

I honestly think that could be a top 4 or 5 team in the Big Ten next season.
I do too. If Coffey is back, he's in the conversation for player of the year. Carr, Kalscheur and Oturu are all really good players. Then add in Sherfield, Willis, Williams, Demir, Curry, Oturu…. wow.