Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
jffl_commish

Re: 2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by jffl_commish »

Hopefully Pitino can use the late season success and run as good recruiting tools for those guys. Granted, we aren't competing with the blue bloods for anyone.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Gophers have reached out to Donnell Gresham. Grad transfer guard from Cretin who can shoot!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:55 pm Gophers have reached out to Donnell Gresham. Grad transfer guard from Cretin who can shoot!
Interesting. We'd have a lot of guards needing minutes if we landed Gresham and Sherfield. Who would get left out of the rotation?

Hopefully this isn't a sign we're not getting Sherfield.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:42 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:55 pm Gophers have reached out to Donnell Gresham. Grad transfer guard from Cretin who can shoot!
Interesting. We'd have a lot of guards needing minutes if we landed Gresham and Sherfield. Who would get left out of the rotation?

Hopefully this isn't a sign we're not getting Sherfield.
If Washington is gone, they for sure need another guard. I think Pitino will play three guards if needed (Kalscheur/Willis are 6'3/6'4 so you'd think they could handle the bigger wing spot if needed in some spurts).

Sherfield is going to get a lot of attention either way, I think they're sitting fine with him but you take Gresham as a grad transfer if you can get him. One year guard who can shoot AND keep the scholarship open for the 2020 class.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Grad Transfers are hot commodities.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sam Freeman was on campus last week per Ryan James. Rumors are it's between Virginia Tech and Minnesota. Apparently Buzz Williams is after him pretty hard. Freeman supposedly is going to make a decision this week.

He's a 6'9 big from Texas. Has kept things hush hush for most of his recruitment. I've seen a little video of him, very explosive around the hoop with a big frame but the term raw has been thrown out there before.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:37 pm Sam Freeman was on campus last week per Ryan James. Rumors are it's between Virginia Tech and Minnesota. Apparently Buzz Williams is after him pretty hard. Freeman supposedly is going to make a decision this week.

He's a 6'9 big from Texas. Has kept things hush hush for most of his recruitment. I've seen a little video of him, very explosive around the hoop with a big frame but the term raw has been thrown out there before.
Does he actually have a VT offer? I can't seem to find any confirmation that he does. His recruitment seems odd. Doesn't seem to have a lot of offers or interest and has very little highlights out there.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:18 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:37 pm Sam Freeman was on campus last week per Ryan James. Rumors are it's between Virginia Tech and Minnesota. Apparently Buzz Williams is after him pretty hard. Freeman supposedly is going to make a decision this week.

Does he actually have a VT offer? I can't seem to find any confirmation that he does. His recruitment seems odd. Doesn't seem to have a lot of offers or interest and has very little highlights out there.
I think he had offers from TCU, Virginia Tech and MN. Visited Virginia Tech in January.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:40 pm

Grad Transfers are hot commodities.
Texas Tech is starting 2 of them. Something doesn't feel right about that.
Ketchup can be nuancy
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Raw.... reminds me of Konate and Diedjou. Hopefully he's better than those two wastes of scholarships.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:31 pm Raw.... reminds me of Konate and Diedjou. Hopefully he's better than those two wastes of scholarships.
I'll trust Buzz Williams. I don't know what diedhiou's offers were... Konate at one point had a Louisville offer but so did Stockman.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style

Post by Style »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:00 pm
Not much on 247.

What's the feeling on this guy? Golden?
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:59 am
Not much on 247.

I was thinking for sure Gophers but now Buzz Williams is taking the A&M job and he was recruiting Freeman.

My overall feeling on Freeman, his recruitment is pretty quiet but it sounds like that was his preferred route. Maybe rumors were he didn't want to leave Texas so teams kind of stayed away but if Buzz had any idea he might head down there, he then sought out a relationship with Freeman? Freeman looks like a legit big body with pretty raw offensive skills but in all reality, you're looking for a backup center for the next three years. Oturu is starting indefinitely. How many centers are going to sign on to be a backup for that long?
Style

Post by Style »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:05 am
Not much on 247.

I was thinking for sure Gophers but now Buzz Williams is taking the A&M job and he was recruiting Freeman.

My overall feeling on Freeman, his recruitment is pretty quiet but it sounds like that was his preferred route. Maybe rumors were he didn't want to leave Texas so teams kind of stayed away but if Buzz had any idea he might head down there, he then sought out a relationship with Freeman? Freeman looks like a legit big body with pretty raw offensive skills but in all reality, you're looking for a backup center for the next three years. Oturu is starting indefinitely. How many centers are going to sign on to be a backup for that long?
Thanks. Good info.

I'd obviously prefer a more BIG ready player, even if that player had a lower "ceiling", but at this point we just need a big body or two to eat up some minutes and guard against injury for Oturu.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:20 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:05 am

Not much on 247.

Thanks. Good info.

I'd obviously prefer a more BIG ready player, even if that player had a lower "ceiling", but at this point we just need a big body or two to eat up some minutes and guard against injury for Oturu.
I want grad transfers first and foremost, they need to hold over some scholarships for the 2020 class. BIG TIME. They need a couple more bodies underneath for next year though, even if Curry is healthy that's only three post players and Jarvis IMO is more of a combo forward a la Rodney Williams. But there's so many moving parts in recruiting, I thought for sure Jericho Sims would end up at MN and now Texas is in the NIT championship. Who knows what his plans are.

Are the Gophers still heavily after Grant Sherfield? Do they get back in with the former Vandy commit, name escapes me right now.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Tre Williams is on ESPN tomorrow at 5.

Grant Sherfield is on at 11 or noon with Sunrise Christian. Sounds like Crowley is going to Ole Miss or Miss St.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Nice.

With the Pitino/Arkansas rumors, I wonder what was said or promised to get him to commit? Does that mean Arkansas is a non-factor?
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:41 am Nice.

With the Pitino/Arkansas rumors, I wonder what was said or promised to get him to commit? Does that mean Arkansas is a non-factor?
I think Pitino's preference is to stay but there must be a contract dispute of some type. I think Coyle is taking this thing year by year.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:04 pm

I think Pitino's preference is to stay but there must be a contract dispute of some type. I think Coyle is taking this thing year by year.
As he should imho. I think Pitino earned next season with the last 20% of this season, but I certainly wouldn’t give him a raise or extension. Also, I think Freeman is a good get. Buzz Williams is a helluva coach and he was in on him. Athletic 6-10 guys don’t grow on trees. Hopefully he’s a guy who rebounds the hell out of the ball and can defend the rim. Maybe some lobs on offense.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:46 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:04 pm

As he should imho. I think Pitino earned next season with the last 20% of this season, but I certainly wouldn’t give him a raise or extension. Also, I think Freeman is a good get. Buzz Williams is a helluva coach and he was in on him. Athletic 6-10 guys don’t grow on trees. Hopefully he’s a guy who rebounds the hell out of the ball and can defend the rim. Maybe some lobs on offense.
The extension is just done to keep 4 years attached to the guy's name. He's signed for another 3 years I believe. The goal for Coyle would be extend and continue to lower the buyout in the event if you want to fire him. Of course Richard would see that as "ohhhhh, I see how it goes" and then explore his options.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Updated depth chart:

Carr/Willis
Kalscheur
Hurt/Williams
Omersa/Curry
Oturu/Freeman

They are still all in on Grant Sherfield. With Coffey potentially out of the picture, they need talent!
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:35 am
Nice! He looks young and thin, but a nice signing.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Rick Barnes might be headed to UCLA. This could help us with Isaiah Ihnen.

I wonder what's going on with Sherfield?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:12 pm Rick Barnes might be headed to UCLA. This could help us with Isaiah Ihnen.

Purdue was a rumored destination if Edwards left early, which he is now. I think Minnesota will be in a good spot until the end though.

Ihnen would be a good pickup, they need bodies at forward if Coffey AND potentially Hurt both are not back. I guess until we hear for sure that Michael is staying, up in the air he'd leave too.

I expect Matt to pick Duke. Looks like Tre Jones is staying for a second year.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:20 am
Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:12 pm Rick Barnes might be headed to UCLA. This could help us with Isaiah Ihnen.

Purdue was a rumored destination if Edwards left early, which he is now. I think Minnesota will be in a good spot until the end though.

Ihnen would be a good pickup, they need bodies at forward if Coffey AND potentially Hurt both are not back. I guess until we hear for sure that Michael is staying, up in the air he'd leave too.

Hopefully we can get Donnell Gresham if we don't get Sherfield.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:25 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:20 am

Hopefully we can get Donnell Gresham if we don't get Sherfield.
I want both.... and Crowley if he's interested now that Coffey is leaving. Plenty of minutes available on the wing.