Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: 2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by HeHateMe »

Updates:

Sam Freeman -- raw center from Texas likely will visit. Kyle Lindsted has been after him hard.
Zeke Nnaji -- hard to say what's going on here. A source tell G.I. that Arizona is in the lead.
Robbie Beran -- 4 star PF from Virginia says he wants to visit Minnesota soon.
Myron Garner -- unranked F from Detroit, wants to visit here. Xavier is after hard.
Jalen Hill -- 4 star SF from Vegas. Doesn't have visits set up but might plan one to MN because of Rob Jeter.
Johnathan McGriff -- 5'9 pg from Maryland. Apparently had a rough spring, injury/loss of a friend. No visits set.
Tray Jackson -- 4 star forward from Michigan, likely not visiting here.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
full force five

Post by full force five »

= Yuck . . . . . This could be a recruiting death blow. It's super early still and so much could happen I understand that. The Gophers will likely miss out on 4 really good local kids and have not promising leads nationally.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:01 pm = Yuck . . . . . This could be a recruiting death blow. It's super early still and so much could happen I understand that. The Gophers will likely miss out on 4 really good local kids and have not promising leads nationally.
Yeah, not a good look right now. I can't say I'm surprised given the team has been crap for three out of the last four years. Now if they have a really good season this year (not betting on it) they can potentially make some headway with the 2020 kids like Garcia, Carlson, Dainja, etc (little to no shot on Suggs IMO).

One thing that keeps coming up is they do really fairly well in the spring it seems but I think they've gotten lucky with two grad transfers in the last three years. Crandall called it a dream school and he went to Gonzaga.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Nnaji offered by Kansas. They are the immediate favorite now.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Breck forward David Roddy offered last night. He's got Northwestern after him hard, I think Nebraska too. I think he'd be a solid player for the Gophers. I think given his Howard Pulley ties, he's fairly close with the three incoming freshmen who played with Pulley. All the other guys (Nnaji, Wahl, Hurt, Terry, Jones, Crowder, etc are with D1 Minnesota).
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:26 am Updates:

Sam Freeman -- raw center from Texas likely will visit. Kyle Lindsted has been after him hard.
Zeke Nnaji -- hard to say what's going on here. A source tell G.I. that Arizona is in the lead.
Myron Garner -- unranked F from Detroit, wants to visit here. Xavier is after hard.
Jalen Hill -- 4 star SF from Vegas. Doesn't have visits set up but might plan one to MN because of Rob Jeter.
Johnathan McGriff -- 5'9 pg from Maryland. Apparently had a rough spring, injury/loss of a friend. No visits set.
Thanks for the updates, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

I really like Robbie Beran and Myron Gardner. I was wondering why things were so quiet with McGriff lately, but now it makes sense. Bummer about Tray Jackson. He was one of my favorite recruits we were going after.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 am Breck forward David Roddy offered last night. He's got Northwestern after him hard, I think Nebraska too. I think he'd be a solid player for the Gophers. I think given his Howard Pulley ties, he's fairly close with the three incoming freshmen who played with Pulley. All the other guys (Nnaji, Wahl, Hurt, Terry, Jones, Crowder, etc are with D1 Minnesota).
I was pretty pumped about this offer. It's long overdue in my opinion. The kid can flat out play. I'd be surprised if he's not the first 2019 commit for Minnesota.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:33 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 am Breck forward David Roddy offered last night. He's got Northwestern after him hard, I think Nebraska too. I think he'd be a solid player for the Gophers. I think given his Howard Pulley ties, he's fairly close with the three incoming freshmen who played with Pulley. All the other guys (Nnaji, Wahl, Hurt, Terry, Jones, Crowder, etc are with D1 Minnesota).
I was pretty pumped about this offer. It's long overdue in my opinion. The kid can flat out play. I'd be surprised if he's not the first 2019 commit for Minnesota.
He was the fifth starter on the Pulley team last year with Oturu, Kalscheur, Omersa and Tre Jones. Too bad we didn't get Tre!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:10 pm Rumor is Zeke Nnaji will make his decision in August. No information on where's he's leaning though. Wisconsin has recently offered similar players for the 2019 class. Not sure if this is any indication of his choice or their just having back up options.
Rumor is Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin are all out.

Kansas the heavy favorite, with Arizona, UCLA, Indiana, Ohio St and maybe another school still somewhat in it. Can't remember the other off the top of my head.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:39 pm
The Replacements wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:10 pm Rumor is Zeke Nnaji will make his decision in August. No information on where's he's leaning though. Wisconsin has recently offered similar players for the 2019 class. Not sure if this is any indication of his choice or their just having back up options.

Kansas the heavy favorite, with Arizona, UCLA, Indiana, Ohio St and maybe another school still somewhat in it. Can't remember the other off the top of my head.
Never saw the draw of Kansas. Boring. I guess Wilt went there which is nice. Make your mark at MN.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

INSIJS wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Never saw the draw of Kansas. Boring. I guess Wilt went there which is nice. Make your mark at MN.
Self might have coached a team USA deal recently? But yeah, it's a top tier program 100%... I'm not surprised he's interested in going there.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Look up an old guy named James Naismith. Kansas can tout some tradition.
Ketchup can be nuancy
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:20 pm

I’m well aware of the tradition. I just think it’s lame. Really no reason why they should be a favorite for the best in the country. Sure Self is decent. Kind of like Nebraska in football back in the day. The country has been figuring it out the last number of years although let’s see how the new hometown coach does. Who wants to live in Nebraska? Minneapolis blows it away for quality of life. I suppose big fish in a little pond, but Kansas? Meh.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Big article in the athletic today on Matthew Hurt.... Self was the USA coach, Hurt was on the team, I think Nnaji tried out but was bothered by an injury to didn't actually make the team.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

INSIJS wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:48 pm
Nancy wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:20 pm
I’m well aware of the tradition. I just think it’s lame. Really no reason why they should be a favorite for the best in the country. Sure Self is decent. Kind of like Nebraska in football back in the day. The country has been figuring it out the last number of years although let’s see how the new hometown coach does. Who wants to live in Nebraska? Minneapolis blows it away for quality of life. I suppose big fish in a little pond, but Kansas? Meh.
Let's be honest, it can only be one thing .... booster and shoe $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Luke Anderson, combo forward from Florida will visit MN on the 8th.

Other visits are Iowa State 9-1 and Georgia 9-15.

UCF is the home school option of course.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:30 pm
INSIJS wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:48 pm
Nancy wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Let's be honest, it can only be one thing .... booster and shoe $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
It has to be that--lots of "envelope handshakes"! To be honest, I've never understood the sustaining power of Kansas or Kentucky b-ball. Or Oklahoma football, amongst other powers that are in the middle of "no where". On the other side of the ball, why aren't Hawaii and Miami U (and other tropical destinations) beasts in all sports? Imagine spending your late teens/early 20s in paradise! If I were a legit college athlete, I'd probably take one of my visits to Hawaii, just for the free trip.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Crowley picked Vanderbilt. Ouch.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Pitino was on Danny B today. A couple snippets I heard on my way home...

Physically expects Oturu to be able to be an immediate contributor. Said he's the best highschool player he has gotten to commit.

On Coffey, said academics and winning is important, but his main focus right now should be the NBA. Said every so often he's around a college player where everyone in the gym knows they are going to the NBA, and Coffey is one of them.

Said Omersa is the most athletically gifted player he has been around.

Said he believed last years team was tourney capable, but got derailed by injuries (and other things). Said he expects them to be in the tournament this year.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Luke Anderson committed to Iowa State on his visit.

Not looking good for Pitino though I think they'll end up getting David Roddy. I think there are a few more visits lined up but nothing coming up quick. Pitino has recruited well in the spring so maybe he'll get a couple guys this fall and hold the other two scholarships to the spring.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:53 pm Pitino was on Danny B today. A couple snippets I heard on my way home...

Physically expects Oturu to be able to be an immediate contributor. Said he's the best highschool player he has gotten to commit.

On Coffey, said academics and winning is important, but his main focus right now should be the NBA. Said every so often he's around a college player where everyone in the gym knows they are going to the NBA, and Coffey is one of them.

Said he believed last years team was tourney capable, but got derailed by injuries (and other things). Said he expects them to be in the tournament this year.
I'll eat my hat if Coffey is a NBA player. I don't see it at all. I guess it's possible he's taken in rd #2 and then ends up overseas.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:12 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:53 pm Pitino was on Danny B today. A couple snippets I heard on my way home...

I'll eat my hat if Coffey is a NBA player. I don't see it at all. I guess it's possible he's taken in rd #2 and then ends up overseas.
He's a pretty darn good player, who has an NBA body. This year will say a lot about his prospective future as a professional ball player, good or bad.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:42 pm

He's a pretty darn good player, who has an NBA body. This year will say a lot about his prospective future as a professional ball player, good or bad.
I like him and think he's a good player but he hasn't even made a All B1G team yet.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:50 pm

I like him and think he's a good player but he hasn't even made a All B1G team yet.
all freshman, followed by an injury season. Kind of hard to make the team as a freshman, or injured player.

College accolades don't mean much when it comes to the NBA anyway. Off the top of my head, I can think of

Tyus Jones and his Tournament award...Drafted at the end of the 1st round.

Kieta Bates-Diop, BIG POY...middle of 2nd round.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:57 pm

all freshman, followed by an injury season. Kind of hard to make the team as a freshman, or injured player.
I don't care about the excuses. That's my point. I'll crown him when he deserves it. Hopefully he has a awesome year and makes it this year. :thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:00 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:57 pm

I don't care about the excuses. That's my point. I'll crown him when he deserves it. Hopefully he has a awesome year and makes it this year. :thumbsup:
He was on the trajectory to make one last year if he was healthy... last year was a disaster. Hopefully we see something that shows he can handle the next level. I think as long as he can make open jumpers, play solid defense, bubu is right... NBA size. Great length, good handle for his size... his body will continue to fill out.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Tray Jackson visiting this weekend. Would be a huge get.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:36 pm

Tray Jackson visiting this weekend. Would be a huge get.
WAIT....I'm confused. Your quote says he's likely not visiting here, then your new post says he is. WHICH IS IT? :pissed:
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:13 pm WAIT....I'm confused. Your quote says he's likely not visiting here, then your new post says he is. WHICH IS IT? :pissed:
Shows you how things can change... the rumor in the summer was he wasn't listing the Gophers as a favorite, wasn't going to visit here. Now apparently some other schools have gotten commitments and backed off him, the Gophers have stayed on him the entire time and here.he.comes.

Long 6'8 SF, can shoot, great a finishing around the rim.