Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: 2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:24 pm Anyone else noticing that that MN highschool basketball has been pumping out great recruits for the last 5-7 years?

Gopher Basketball needs to get to the point where they can keep these kids in house. I'm not too concerned about losing the one and dones, but theres been so many program builders (or 4 year guys) coming out recently.

Pitino did good getting Oturu and Gabe, but he completely failed in the 2017 class.
2017 was a strange year, he went hard after McKinley Wright, Theo John and Jericho Sims. He was pretty quiet on Davison and Reuvers. Coffey/Oturu were big time gets.. and the 19/20 classes are beyond stacked. Who knows how it all ends up... main thing though is if you miss locally, you need to get some big time players outside. Fans are more likely to ease up on you if you take a local kid who doesn't quite pan out.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

I'm really high on Tyrell Jones. I'm hoping we can get him up here for a visit.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Big Head

Post by Big Head »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:24 pm Anyone else noticing that that MN highschool basketball has been pumping out great recruits for the last 5-7 years?

Gopher Basketball needs to get to the point where they can keep these kids in house. I'm not too concerned about losing the one and dones, but theres been so many program builders (or 4 year guys) coming out recently.

Pitino did good getting Oturu and Gabe, but he completely failed in the 2017 class.
In almost 125 years of Gopher Basketball, nine Gophers have had their numbers retired - not one of which is from the Twin Cities. Two from Hibbing, one from Brainerd, one from Lake City, one from Eau Claire, and then NC, MI, FL, and IL. Granted there is typically at least a 30 year lag between when a player plays and when their number gets retired, but it is tough to argue that someone like Kevin Lynch, Sam Jacobson, John Thomas, etc. were good enough to receive this honor. With a few minor exceptions (El Amin, Tyus Jones, Gary Trent, etc), it is tough to argue that the Gophers even missed out on top notch talent in the Twin Cities though. The area just hasn't been historically good at producing good D-1 prospects.

I give some credit to the Timberwolves for making basketball more visible in the area and slowing upping the level of basketball in the Twin Cities. In the close to 30 years that the Wolves have been around, We've seen a gradual up-tick in regards to the number of prospects and the quality of those prospects in the region - with most of these prospects coming out of the Twin cities area. Time will tell, but I like the trend. It would be nice to get more of these D-1 players on the Gophers, but it would be even nicer to see the ones that do come here start to really see success on the court. That will both bring about a winning program and provide an example for the others that the U of M is a viable option for them to further their basketball careers.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:01 pm I'm really high on Tyrell Jones. I'm hoping we can get him up here for a visit.
They need a pg badly. Wish they would have landed Crandall for this year too.

Speaking of Jones, I still would offer Robert Jones if I'm Pitino. Local kid and high school teammate of Dawson Garcia.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Robert Jones is a kid you would red-shirt with a ceiling of Trevor Winter type player. Not a bad roll player, who is a terrific kid but not a difference maker. That said I agree, offer I'm sure he would accept in a heartbeat.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:33 pm Robert Jones is a kid you would red-shirt with a ceiling of Trevor Winter type player. Not a bad roll player, who is a terrific kid but not a difference maker. That said I agree, offer I'm sure he would accept in a heartbeat.
There's no way he's worse than Konate or Diedhiou.... I wouldn't mind slotting him in as the backup 5 for the next few years.
full force five

He is better. No question. My point is he isn't a difference maker. He is a backup 5 until maybe his senior or junior year.

I'm surprise Gophers have not offered, Xavier and PSU have plus a bunch of mid-majors.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:31 pm He is better. No question. My point is he isn't a difference maker. He is a backup 5 until maybe his senior or junior year.

I'm surprise Gophers have not offered, Xavier and PSU have plus a bunch of mid-majors.
In full agreement with you. And yeah, he'd back up Oturu for three years.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:16 pm
The Replacements wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:10 pm Rumor is Zeke Nnaji will make his decision in August. No information on where's he's leaning though. Wisconsin has recently offered similar players for the 2019 class. Not sure if this is any indication of his choice or their just having back up options.
I'd be really surprised if it's Wisconsin. I think it's more likely he heads to one of the top tier schools.. or maybe second tier if you consider only Kentucky/Duke/UNC etc in the first.
Has he received offers from any blue bloods? The current offer list is really good but not great. I think he will choose the school and coaching staff he's most comfortable with as well as a decent academic school.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:17 am
The Replacements wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:10 pm Rumor is Zeke Nnaji will make his decision in August. No information on where's he's leaning though. Wisconsin has recently offered similar players for the 2019 class. Not sure if this is any indication of his choice or their just having back up options.
I'd be really surprised if it's Wisconsin. I think it's more likely he heads to one of the top tier schools.. or maybe second tier if you consider only Kentucky/Duke/UNC etc in the first.
Has he received offers from any blue bloods? The current offer list is really good but not great. I think he will choose the school and coaching staff he's most comfortable with as well as a decent academic school.
Per Evan Daniels... UCLA, Arizona, Indiana, MN, Wisconsin, Ohio St and Baylor are after him hard. I'd put Arizona/UCLA for sure in that next tier below the blue bloods... and that was my point. I think the idea of going to Arizona or UCLA seems more realistic than MN or Wisconsin at this point.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:43 am
The Replacements wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:17 am

Per Evan Daniels... UCLA, Arizona, Indiana, MN, Wisconsin, Ohio St and Baylor are after him hard. I'd put Arizona/UCLA for sure in that next tier below the blue bloods... and that was my point. I think the idea of going to Arizona or UCLA seems more realistic than MN or Wisconsin at this point.
After the recent problems at Arizona, I wouldn't put them in the blue blood category. UCLA is not a blue blood but some recruits are still drawn to the history of the program and good weather. Not sure how Indiana and Ohio St. are viewed now with all the changes. I'm not saying he chooses Wisconsin but right now they still have as good as chance as anybody.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Please read my posts if/when you are going to respond. Thanks.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:37 pm Please read my posts if/when you are going to respond. Thanks.
Your posts include so much BS I tend to ignore it. You have zero inside information but he's not going to Wisconsin. I get it. :roll:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:34 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:37 pm Please read my posts if/when you are going to respond. Thanks.
Your posts include so much BS I tend to ignore it. You have zero inside information but he's not going to Wisconsin. I get it. :roll:
When did I claim I had inside info? I generally cite my sources. I literally said those schools are not blue bloods then you tried to correct me saying the same thing. Go create a Wisconsin thread at this point and stay out of mine. :lol:
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:39 pm
The Replacements wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:34 pm
When did I claim I had inside info? I generally cite my sources. I literally said those schools are not blue bloods then you tried to correct me saying the same thing. Go create a Wisconsin thread at this point and stay out of mine. :lol:
Good point. Thread is worthless and a waste of time. Bye Felicia.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

THANK THE LORD. BYE REPLACEMENTS!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Uh oh….Suggs hurt his knee! :o
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:26 pm Uh oh….Suggs hurt his knee! :o
He's a 2020 kid, Gus!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:48 am
He's a 2020 kid, Gus!
I dunno....sometimes these knee issues hit a kid and he's nevah the same! Just look at Gayle Sayers!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:09 pm
He's a 2020 kid, Gus!
I dunno....sometimes these knee issues hit a kid and he's nevah the same! Just look at Gayle Sayers!
Lol.. You have to be a bit.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:26 pm

He's a 2020 kid, Gus!
Gus Munger is a bit!
brison
***Official Gibby Award Winner - July and September 2018***

Post by brison »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:14 am

Gus Munger is a bit!
HeHateme is a bit of a bit calling someone a bit. This forum is dead.
Tom Selleck is a twat
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

brison wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Gus Munger is a bit!
:irked: Don't mess with Gus and I.
brison

Post by brison »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:50 pm
brison wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:49 pm
Gus Munger is a bit!
:irked: Don't mess with Gus and I.
Haha. Gus is gold. You are nothing.
Tom Selleck is a twat
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I got you to come out of your Wolves Chat retirement, that's something!
brison

Post by brison »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:54 pm I got you to come out of your Wolves Chat retirement, that's something!
Oh I see. That's what your plan was. Is that supposed to be a better story than just plain old buthurt stalking? That's what you have now taught me how to do. I'm here in Gopher land just trying to get you to come back to my thread in WC.
:coolio:
Tom Selleck is a twat
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:13 pm
4 open scholarships and so far the only get 100% set to visit. Not a good look but with that said, they need Crowley badly. Top 100 kid, combo guard. Technically they have plenty guards next year but Washington has the highest flame out factor. If he plays like a bum this year, my guess is he'll just get benched and he'll leave the team immediately.
full force five

Not to be negative but I would put our chances at 0.0% to get Crowley, my guess is he will go to Old Miss. It just seems like such a weird fit. Plus where will his playing time going to come from? We have two transfer guards, Washington and Gabe . . . not a lot for a 4 star guard to come into.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:54 am Not to be negative but I would put our chances at 0.0% to get Crowley, my guess is he will go to Old Miss. It just seems like such a weird fit. Plus where will his playing time going to come from? We have two transfer guards, Washington and Gabe . . . not a lot for a 4 star guard to come into.
I'm sure the sell will be what it was to Crandall when they already had McBrayer/Washington/Kalscheur/Stull for this year... "I want to play three guards more often than not"

As you look at the depth chart for next year, they NEED multiple bigs, 100%. If Washington struggles this year, Willis and Carr should offset some of the pg pressure. I think Gabe could start easily a year from now too. Crowley though at 6'6 sounds like he could play 1-3 if needed.

I do agree on Ole Miss... home school with the last visit. Vanderbilt is a solid program too.