Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: 2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Someone on Gopherhole is saying we're still recruiting Kobe Brown.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:12 pm
A very important pickup. Really happy with this one. Pitino is having another good spring recruiting period.
Style

Post by Style »

Much needed commit at a position of need.

Let’s goo!

Bring that momentum to 2020 guys.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:28 am
full force five wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:31 am
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:33 pm After missing out on Sherfield, Pitino rebounded well(imho) with Ihnen and now possibly Demir. Lots of folks really concerned about spring recruiting, myself included, but I’ve stepped back from the ledge.
I was on ledge as well. Still not clear of the woods even if they sign Demir. The 2020 group is key to his longevity here at Minnesota. Sign, 2 of the 5 guys between: Suggs, Garcia, Dainja, Carlson, Walton and were golden.
Yeah, the 2020 class is going to be the most telling. They're on pace for 3-4 scholarships, if you can't keep some of the kids home... need a change.

2020: Suggs, Garcia, Carlson, Dainja, Walton, Crowl, Hadley
2021: Holmgren, Brown, Thompson
2022: Aligbe, Holloman, Heide
I hear what you and and others say when you talk like this, but it’s hard to just put a number on it like 2/5 or he’s gone. As long as he’s recruiting MN hard that’s all you can do imo. If someone doesn’t want to attend the University of Minnesota what are you gonna do? It’s the players choice. Find guys from other states that are good and steal them from their state teams. :shrug:

I love Oturu and Gabe and hopefully other MN recruits do too. Great base. Pitino is fine. More drama at the coaching position isn’t going to help anything. Keep building.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Looks like a fantastic passer for a post player. That's something Curry gave them a lot when he was healthy.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Landing recriuts like future sanctions are looming! :D
full force five

Post by full force five »

Demir looks like a great add. Looks like he can do a little big of everything and is 6'9" and 230. If/when Coffey comes back our starting 5 look awesome.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

mglviks wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:40 pm Landing recriuts like future sanctions are looming! :D
:lol:
They are a non-raping Reggie Lynch from going to 3 straight dances and likely a 4th.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 am
mglviks wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:40 pm Landing recriuts like future sanctions are looming! :D
:lol:
They are a non-raping Reggie Lynch from going to 3 straight dances and likely a 4th.
:o :shock:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Not necessarily Gopher hoops related, but Bryce Tesdal, East Ridge's coach, just took the Minnetonka job. Quite the shocker.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

One scholarship left for this year, right?
Let's get Tropical
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:22 pm One scholarship left for this year, right?
Yes, assuming Coffey comes back. I hope we use it on another ball handler.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Isaiah Moss is transferring from Iowa. Highly unlikely, but he would look good in our line-up if Coffey doesn't come back. Shot 42% from three last season.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:11 am Not necessarily Gopher hoops related, but Bryce Tesdal, East Ridge's coach, just took the Minnetonka job. Quite the shocker.
Kendall Brown and Ben Carlson transferring? :lol:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Tujautae Williams (SF from Illinois) is not visiting this weekend now. I long thought this guy was a backup plan to Ihnen/Coffey not turning pro. Obviously best case scenario now is a grad transfer guard to fill the last remaining scholarship. I think if Coffey stays in the draft/plays pro somewhere next year, someone like Isaiah Moss starting on the wing would be fantastic.

Coffey is now the biggest factor given they landed a starting PF and depth upfront (Curry injury history + Murphy and Stockman gone means they needed a lot more up front). If Coffey is back, they have a secondary ball handler behind Carr and Willis. If Coffey isn't back, they 100% need another ball handler.
Style

Post by Style »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:06 pm Tujautae Williams (SF from Illinois) is not visiting this weekend now. I long thought this guy was a backup plan to Ihnen/Coffey not turning pro. Obviously best case scenario now is a grad transfer guard to fill the last remaining scholarship. I think if Coffey stays in the draft/plays pro somewhere next year, someone like Isaiah Moss starting on the wing would be fantastic.

Coffey is now the biggest factor given they landed a starting PF and depth upfront (Curry injury history + Murphy and Stockman gone means they needed a lot more up front). If Coffey is back, they have a secondary ball handler behind Carr and Willis. If Coffey isn't back, they 100% need another ball handler.
Yeah agree. I'd like the last scholarship to be a grad transfer regardless of position, but do prefer little over big.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:06 pm Tujautae Williams (SF from Illinois) is not visiting this weekend now. I long thought this guy was a backup plan to Ihnen/Coffey not turning pro. Obviously best case scenario now is a grad transfer guard to fill the last remaining scholarship. I think if Coffey stays in the draft/plays pro somewhere next year, someone like Isaiah Moss starting on the wing would be fantastic.

Is there any other names being thrown out there right now for grad transfer guards?
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:58 pm
j2j wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:11 am Not necessarily Gopher hoops related, but Bryce Tesdal, East Ridge's coach, just took the Minnetonka job. Quite the shocker.
No, but that was what crossed my mind. How do you leave that squad? Then of course when you consider the change in paycheck? I guess I get it. But still... coaching a squad like that is the dream.

Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

j2j wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:19 pm
No, but that was what crossed my mind. How do you leave that squad? Then of course when you consider the change in paycheck? I guess I get it. But still... coaching a squad like that is the dream.
The check at East Ridge couldn't be that bad. I know a couple folks who have been on East Ridge youth athletic boards. Those parents are full-on entitled, demanding crazies. Remember, Wes Walz was hired to coach hockey.
Ketchup can be nuancy
j2j

Post by j2j »

Ask Not wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:05 am
j2j wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:19 pm
The check at East Ridge couldn't be that bad. I know a couple folks who have been on East Ridge youth athletic boards. Those parents are full-on entitled, demanding crazies. Remember, Wes Walz was hired to coach hockey.
I'm sure the ER check was fine. But Minnetonka probably offered much more for both teaching and coaching, plus probably will make 5 figures just running camps/workouts during the summer in Minnetonka. I'd guess total he'll comfortably be into 6 figures.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Is there any other names being thrown out there right now for grad transfer guards?
I haven't really seen any recently. I haven't looked too hard through gopherhole though either which drops some names. Hopefully the staff is looking at the transfer list and contacting some of those guards, seeing which ones might be a fit and then determining who they can get on campus as soon as possible. The issue working against them of course is playing time. Pitino will play Carr like he's played Mason/McBrayer/Coffey the last 2-3 years.. heavy minutes. Kalscheur will get a ton of minutes and then you have Willis/Williams potentially vying for the other wing spot or whatever other minutes are available. Just find a guy who can play a little defense, dribble the ball up, hand off and then stand in the corner for open threes.
full force five

Post by full force five »

I really do think Coffey comes back. He's on the fringe or top 100 players coming out. Not getting drafted, playing in the D league make 35K a years sounds awful.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:46 am I really do think Coffey comes back. He's on the fringe or top 100 players coming out. Not getting drafted, playing in the D league make 35K a years sounds awful.
I don't know what his motivations are, I don't think anyone does. If his goal is to make it to the NBA, I think another year would not hurt him especially with the way he played towards the end of the year. The family should be able to look on paper and say Oturu/Kalscheur back with Carr/Willis playing and then a solid group of new guys. The team will be built around Coffey and he'll have a ton of preseason hype. The flip side is he turns 22 next month and if he wants to be done with classes and make money, there's plenty to be made overseas now. Mbakwe is still over there and I think financially he's done very well but is fairly homesick. I think Coffey is absolutely an NBA talent but lots of guys did what he's doing coming out and testing the process, seems like more than ever because of the rule changes.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Apparently the Gophers in the final four for Kobe Brown? Missouri, Vanderbilt and Penn St also in there. I'd be shocked if he ends up here.

Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:20 pm Apparently the Gophers in the final four for Kobe Brown? Missouri, Vanderbilt and Penn St also in there. I'd be shocked if he ends up here.

I would be shocked as well. Those other three schools offer more immediate playing time.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:05 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:20 pm Apparently the Gophers in the final four for Kobe Brown? Missouri, Vanderbilt and Penn St also in there. I'd be shocked if he ends up here.

I would be shocked as well. Those other three schools offer more immediate playing time.
Hell, I'd be BEYOND SHOCKED. How do you like that?
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Missouri probably gets him. Speaking of Mizzou... funny how they stole Tray Jackson and then Ihnen got rated higher than him.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:22 pm Missouri probably gets him. Speaking of Mizzou... funny how they stole Tray Jackson and then Ihnen got rated higher than him.
It definitely stung when we lost Jackson, but I think it worked out for the better. There were some rumblings that some shady stuff was going on with Jackson's recruitment to Missouri.