Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
full force five

Re: 2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by full force five »

Jones is raw, not super skilled offensively but works hard, plays good D, good rebounder, strong, and a deeply rooted Minnesota kid.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:16 pm Jones is raw, not super skilled offensively but works hard, plays good D, good rebounder, strong, and a deeply rooted Minnesota kid.
If it helps keep Dawson Garcia home the year after, just another plus.

They need a big for sure, might as well make it a priority for a guy who might be best in the mid majors but clearly has plenty of attention from high major programs.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
full force five

They will need a big, Jones would be a bit of a project but I'm fine if they land him. Good kid!
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:15 am
full force five wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am Wahl committed last night.

Little Richard better hope for a miracle in getting Hurt and Nnaji.
Terry = sting didn't hurt as much because the Gophers now have Marcus Carr playing next year with three years left.
Wahl = versatile player, he needs to improve his shooting and I'm not sure he would have played a lot right away given Gabe/Carr/Willis/Hurt/Coffey all projected to be there next season.

Nnaji and Hurt are guys you want badly, I don't think either will land here but I'm holding out for hope with Hurt. Hoping somehow, someway, he decides he wants to play at home with his brother for one season.
Maybe Wahl is better than those guys. Coffey is the only player that's accomplished anything.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:30 am
full force five wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am Wahl committed last night.

Little Richard better hope for a miracle in getting Hurt and Nnaji.
Terry = sting didn't hurt as much because the Gophers now have Marcus Carr playing next year with three years left.
Wahl = versatile player, he needs to improve his shooting and I'm not sure he would have played a lot right away given Gabe/Carr/Willis/Hurt/Coffey all projected to be there next season.

Nnaji and Hurt are guys you want badly, I don't think either will land here but I'm holding out for hope with Hurt. Hoping somehow, someway, he decides he wants to play at home with his brother for one season.
Maybe Wahl is better than those guys. Coffey is the only player that's accomplished anything.
Wahl is not better than Marcus Carr.... sorry. Willis maybe, Gabe we haven't seen yet.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Wahl is not better than Marcus Carr.... sorry. Willis maybe, Gabe we haven't seen yet.
Until Wahl plays you really don't know. That's my point. Carr was on a team that was 0-16 in conference and 8-24 overall. I would say no one on Pitt played well last year.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Until Wahl plays you really don't know. That's my point. Carr was on a team that was 0-16 in conference and 8-24 overall. I would say no one on Pitt played well last year.
You can evaluate two players right now. Wahl has plenty of room to improve still though.. great size, very versatile... they play different positions but I'd take Carr over Wahl. If Wahl can't shoot, he's another Brueswitz with a better handle.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:16 pm
The Replacements wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:46 pm
You can evaluate two players right now. Wahl has plenty of room to improve still though.. great size, very versatile... they play different positions but I'd take Carr over Wahl. If Wahl can't shoot, he's another Brueswitz with a better handle.
Most people believe Wahl will improve as a shooter. From what I read, he was on a team with great shooters and wasn't asked to shoot as much. Not sure why you are enamored with Carr. This seemed like a fair report on him from the Pitt board:

Decent player in most respects. But not a really good one.

Probably not a pure point in that he's not a high end passer nor an even average penetrator. He's not careless though with the exception of picking up his dribble a little too often. And generally he knows how to find open guys.

Also not the kind of shooter you'd need for him to be a high end 2 guard. He doesn't really create his own shots. Pretty much hit most of his threes in spot up situations.

My biggest problem last year was that he never really ever showed the ability to get by anyone with the ball.

On the defensive end, he was Ok but no one would ever think of him as a stopper.

So make no mistake ... you got a pretty good player who will help your team in several ways in the next few years. He's even a legit Big 10 level starter. But I wouldn't necessarily expect him to be a significant difference maker.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Why even bother going back and forth with you? You provide nothing but homeristic takes... see I like Davison, Reuvers and even Wahl a lot. I was begging for Pitino to offer Wahl. If I post anything positive about the Gophers, here you come.

As far as the statements on the Pitt board... nothing posted above shocks me or surprises me. I think he's going to be a good player here.
The Replacements

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:58 am Why even bother going back and forth with you? You provide nothing but homeristic takes... see I like Davison, Reuvers and even Wahl a lot. I was begging for Pitino to offer Wahl. If I post anything positive about the Gophers, here you come.

As far as the statements on the Pitt board... nothing posted above shocks me or surprises me. I think he's going to be a good player here.
My statement on Wahl is you don't know what he is until he starts playing. He could be like Davison or Illikainen. You listed all these players that are better than Wahl and only Coffey has done anything. I would say you're being the homer.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

The Replacements wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:27 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:58 am Why even bother going back and forth with you? You provide nothing but homeristic takes... see I like Davison, Reuvers and even Wahl a lot. I was begging for Pitino to offer Wahl. If I post anything positive about the Gophers, here you come.

My statement on Wahl is you don't know what he is until he starts playing. He could be like Davison or Illikainen. You listed all these players that are better than Wahl and only Coffey has done anything. I would say you're being the homer.
I've watched Wahl play quite a bit. He'll be fine, but I would've been surprised if he managed to get around that list of players that Hate posted. He's good, but he's got work to do. That's a crowded position to work thru.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I said I'm not sure how much he would have played right away with those other guys on the roster... you as a Badgers fan took slight to it. Deal with it.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

cmd24 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:16 pm

I've watched Wahl play quite a bit. He'll be fine, but I would've been surprised if he managed to get around that list of players that Hate posted. He's good, but he's got work to do. That's a crowded position to work thru.
That was my point... he wasn't a necessity as much as some think. Neither is Terry after the Gophers added Carr and Willis for the following season. It's not necessarily about who is better it's about minutes available. Coffey plays 30-35 minutes a game at SF, that's likely Wahl's position. Then you have Hurt as a senior, Willis/Carr/Kalsheur taking minutes at the 2 and Curry / Omersa as a 4. Now ideally the Gophers with the 19 class add size which is way Nnaji/Hurt who are obviously big time players are much more of a need than Wahl/Terry.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sunrise Christian combo guard Austin Crowley of Mississippi is a guy to watch for the 2019 class.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Minnesota targets right now heading into an open period:

Matthew Hurt and Zeke Nnaji
6'10 C Robert Jones of Prior Lake
6'0 PG Shereef Mitchell of Nebraska, Sunrise Academy
6'1 PG Dajuan Harris of Missouri
6'6 Wing Jordan Wright, Louisiana
combo guard Austin Crowley from Sunrise
6'8 F Tray Jackson from sunrise academy
6'7 F Jalen Hill -- Las Vegas
PG Johnathan McGriff
6'8 C Sam Freeman, Texas
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:58 pm Sunrise Christian combo guard Austin Crowley of Mississippi is a guy to watch for the 2019 class.
Austin Crowley @TheRealAC5
Blessed to receive an offer from The University of Minnesota!
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

This is what the depth chart looks like a year from now, only the SFs are seniors so clearly the needs are C, SF or wing, and another point guard. It's possible they see Omersa as a combo forward potentially so PF could be a need too. Ideally I think they sign two big guys next year, a point guard and a wing.

Washington/Willis
Carr/Kalscheur
Coffey/Hurt
Curry/Omersa
Oturu/
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:43 pm
Tray Jackson and Austin Crowley are studs. I'd be thrilled if we got at least one of them.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:45 pm This is what the depth chart looks like a year from now, only the SFs are seniors so clearly the needs are C, SF or wing, and another point guard. It's possible they see Omersa as a combo forward potentially so PF could be a need too. Ideally I think they sign two big guys next year, a point guard and a wing.

Washington/Willis
Carr/Kalscheur
Coffey/Hurt
Curry/Omersa
Oturu/
Totally agree. We definitely need more depth at PF/C. I'm slightly nervous that Coffey will test the NBA draft waters if he has a big year.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 am Minnesota targets right now heading into an open period:

Matthew Hurt and Zeke Nnaji
6'10 C Robert Jones of Prior Lake
6'0 PG Shereef Mitchell of Nebraska, Sunrise Academy
6'1 PG Dajuan Harris of Missouri
6'6 Wing Jordan Wright, Louisiana
combo guard Austin Crowley from Sunrise
6'8 F Tray Jackson from sunrise academy
6'7 F Jalen Hill -- Las Vegas
PG Johnathan McGriff
6'8 C Sam Freeman, Texas
Mitchell got offered and committed shortly after to Creighton.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

After open weekend #1:

Main targets per Ryan James: Austin Crowley, Tray Jackson, Jordan Wright, Sam Freeman, Jonathan McGriff, Matt Hurt, Zeke Nnaji

kind of in on per Ryan James: PJ Fuller, Jalen Hill, Kobe Brown

Gophers offered SF Yavuz Gultekin of Maryland
full force five

If they could land any from the main target list I would be happy.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:36 pm After open weekend #1:

Main targets per Ryan James: Austin Crowley, Tray Jackson, Jordan Wright, Sam Freeman, Jonathan McGriff, Matt Hurt, Zeke Nnaji

kind of in on per Ryan James: PJ Fuller, Jalen Hill, Kobe Brown

Gophers offered SF Yavuz Gultekin of Maryland
Are there any highlights online of Sam Freeman? I can't find anything on him. Seems like an under the radar recruit.
The Replacements

Rumor is Zeke Nnaji will make his decision in August. No information on where's he's leaning though. Wisconsin has recently offered similar players for the 2019 class. Not sure if this is any indication of his choice or their just having back up options.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Anyone else noticing that that MN highschool basketball has been pumping out great recruits for the last 5-7 years?

Gopher Basketball needs to get to the point where they can keep these kids in house. I'm not too concerned about losing the one and dones, but theres been so many program builders (or 4 year guys) coming out recently.

Pitino did good getting Oturu and Gabe, but he completely failed in the 2017 class.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Still angry at Khalid El Amin for bolting Minny….
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Hornets wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:45 pm Still angry at Khalid El Amin for bolting Minny….
Fucking Archambault. :finger:
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:10 pm Rumor is Zeke Nnaji will make his decision in August. No information on where's he's leaning though. Wisconsin has recently offered similar players for the 2019 class. Not sure if this is any indication of his choice or their just having back up options.
I'd be really surprised if it's Wisconsin. I think it's more likely he heads to one of the top tier schools.. or maybe second tier if you consider only Kentucky/Duke/UNC etc in the first.