Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
INSIJS

Re: 2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by INSIJS »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:08 pm
full force five wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:50 am Sims would have to sit a year, a 3/4 with crazy athleticism.

Skogman could become a rotational big-10 player but they need someone to come in right away. Next year they will have: Curry, Oturu, Omersa,Hurt as your 4/5. They would need another 4/5 probably or a juco. Unless the pipe dream of Hurt comes in for a year.
I'd take Sims if he had to sit out. I saw on 247 yesterday Evan Daniels said right now there is zero chance Hurt stays home.

Oturu/Curry
Omersa/Hurt
Coffey/Williams
Kalsheur/Willis
Carr/Washington

That team BADLY needs help up front.
I don’t see Omersa being a starter next year. Seeing him all year so far it’s clear to me he should’ve redshirted. He’s really bringing nothing when he does get minutes. Strength and leaping are great but he needs to play basketball.

Develop a ten-foot jumper. Box out like a mad man. Become a shutdown defensive player. Something.

He has potential but he needs time and to work hard.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

INSIJS wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:35 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:08 pm
full force five wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:50 am Sims would have to sit a year, a 3/4 with crazy athleticism.

Skogman could become a rotational big-10 player but they need someone to come in right away. Next year they will have: Curry, Oturu, Omersa,Hurt as your 4/5. They would need another 4/5 probably or a juco. Unless the pipe dream of Hurt comes in for a year.
I'd take Sims if he had to sit out. I saw on 247 yesterday Evan Daniels said right now there is zero chance Hurt stays home.

Oturu/Curry
Omersa/Hurt
Coffey/Williams
Kalsheur/Willis
Carr/Washington

That team BADLY needs help up front.
I don’t see Omersa being a starter next year. Seeing him all year so far it’s clear to me he should’ve redshirted. He’s really bringing nothing when he does get minutes. Strength and leaping are great but he needs to play basketball.

Develop a ten-foot jumper. Box out like a mad man. Become a shutdown defensive player. Something.

He has potential but he needs time and to work hard.
You're right, he won't start. I was just filling out a depth chart. You'd see Oturu/Curry start at this point. Hurt isn't a PF either.

Omersa would have been a great redshirt but that's on Pitino for taking two transfers, one who should be the starting PG with three years left at least. Omersa doesn't look like he has much confidence when he does actually get in but I saw the highlights of him going head to head with Kalscheur last year in a big game, he can ball.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Omersa is a shorter but stronger version of Rodney Williams at this point, that might even be a stretch. He is way undersized to be a power forward in the big-10. Murphy can get away with it because he has a 100 mph motor and is relentless. Omersa will need to work very hard this summer on his game.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

This is big news on a former UCLA commit, combo guard:

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
full force five

I see Tre' Williams has been bumped up into 4* country. Seems like a late bloomer possible with connections to Suggs. They now need inside help big time.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:21 pm I see Tre' Williams has been bumped up into 4* country. Seems like a late bloomer possible with connections to Suggs. They now need inside help big time.

Having him and Kalscheur on the wing will be nice the next few years. Tre should be able to contribute fairly quick though Hurt/Coffey are seniors next year so that will be interesting to watch.

And yes, I believe Suggs/Williams are cousins, maybe second cousins?
Style

Post by Style »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:57 pm
full force five wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:21 pm I see Tre' Williams has been bumped up into 4* country. Seems like a late bloomer possible with connections to Suggs. They now need inside help big time.

Having him and Kalscheur on the wing will be nice the next few years. Tre should be able to contribute fairly quick though Hurt/Coffey are seniors next year so that will be interesting to watch.

I don’t believe they are related. Close family friends. They call each other family, but there’s no blood relation.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:44 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:57 pm

I don’t believe they are related. Close family friends. They call each other family, but there’s no blood relation.
Yep, I stand corrected. Saw Ryan James mentioned that. I can never read Strib stories, always says I reached my article limit even though I never click on them.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Checking our Hurt tonight against Red Wing.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:13 pm Checking our Hurt tonight against Red Wing.
Let me guess, he dominated.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

HeHateMe wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:33 pm
ForCaleb wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:13 pm Checking our Hurt tonight against Red Wing.
43 and 15
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:04 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:33 pm
43 and 15
I don't know where he's playing next year but I'm excited to see him play a lot.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Is he a PG? Do they have much shot bringing anything in? I think we both agree that Washington is pretty likely gone, leaving just Carr. That doesn't work. Coffey has to be back at the 3 fulltime next year.
Let's get Tropical
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

I don't have a good recruiting mind. If Pitino is gone does this change the minds of 2019 commits and potential commits NOT come to MN? Or does it depend on who the new coach will be?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:38 pm I don't have a good recruiting mind. If Pitino is gone does this change the minds of 2019 commits and potential commits NOT come to MN? Or does it depend on who the new coach will be?
Normally a recruit would get out of his letter of intent if a coach gets fired or leaves. I wouldn't assume Tre Williams would end up here but of course the new coach could try to talk to him right away too.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:02 pm Is he a PG? Do they have much shot bringing anything in? I think we both agree that Washington is pretty likely gone, leaving just Carr. That doesn't work. Coffey has to be back at the 3 fulltime next year.
Combo guard, like Peyton Willis who will also be available. They should be fine at PG next year if Washington stays (perhaps if Pitino gets fired the next coach makes him some promises, who knows).
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

If there's any path where Coffey plays a single minute at PG, they've failed. That position has to be addressed. What year will Carr be, senior? If so, all the more reason that have to get someone else in here with this class.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:47 pm If there's any path where Coffey plays a single minute at PG, they've failed. That position has to be addressed. What year will Carr be, senior? If so, all the more reason that have to get someone else in here with this class.
Carr will be a redshirt sophomore with three years left. He played last year at Pitt. Willis will be a redshirt junior after two years at Vanderbilt. I shared my concern last spring when they took two transfer guards, the problem was they got Willis immediately (AAU teammate of Eric Curry's) and Carr was the type of talent you cannot say no to.

Coffey won't be playing point next year, at all. In theory with Tre Williams coming aboard, you'd think he'd be able to get some rest during games too.
full force five

Weird to try for another guard. Unlessthey know IW is gone?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Why weird? McBrayer graduates, Coffey isn't a guard, Stull is gone, and the assumption is that Washington will transfer. That leaves Kalscheur, Carr and Willis as the only guards on the returning roster. They definitely need assistance there. Even if Washington stays, does he play? He can't sniff meaningful minutes this year with no other point guard options on the roster.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:32 am Weird to try for another guard. Unlessthey know IW is gone?
I think when you have three open scholarships and the potential for more, you take the best available player period. I would assume at this point they tell Washington to move on and find somewhere closer to home.

Rough draft:

Oturu/Curry
????/Omersa
Coffey/Williams/Hurt
Kalscheur/Willis
Carr/Sherfield

That's assuming Washington moves on. Still need some work upfront. Can't imagine Omersa ready to start next year but like Washington, at some point Pitino needs to let him get out there and figure it out (Next year, not this year, plenty of depth right now up front if Curry is healthy).
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

-Continue to read Sam Freeman (big from Texas) will visit at some point.
-Jericho Sims likely transferring from Texas, MN would seem to be a big option especially with minutes available up front going forward. Possible he can get a medical waiver I guess?
-Sherfield enjoyed visit. Wants to play immediately with a big role on the team.
-Gophers in the final group for Isaiah Ihnen.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/yqCEeB6t8BI[/youtube]
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Sims would have to sit a year, correct? Maybe he can have Washington's scholarship when he leaves.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:47 pm Sims would have to sit a year, correct? Maybe he can have Washington's scholarship when he leaves.
They currently have three open scholarships so it wouldn't be a problem getting him on. Sims would have to sit unless he got a waiver and there was something I read about a potential family member health issue he could use as a reason to come home.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Sherfield would be a solid get. Hopefully the Linsted connection means something.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:04 pm Sherfield would be a solid get. Hopefully the Linsted connection means something.
It's the reason they're under consideration period.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:10 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:04 pm Sherfield would be a solid get. Hopefully the Linsted connection means something.
It's the reason they're under consideration period.
Someone with knowledge of his visit on gopherhole said it went very well, and that he wanted to commit, but those around him wanted him to take all of his visits. Would be a good get for Pitino.