Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Re: 2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:00 pm
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:38 pm Is there a reason some feel certain it’s Jericho Sims that’s the transfer big? Or are folks just putting pieces together?
I don't know who else it would be. If you're into podcasts, check out "talk gopher buckets" -- Ryan James and Luke Buer. Ryan basically says there's a big man transfer coming in if all goes right and that's all he wanted to say about it. In previous years, he'd mention guys names who were RUMORED to be coming home.
Sounds good. Thank you.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Someone on Gopherhole mentioned that Oturu on his instagram hinted that Sy Chatman from UMass may be transferring to Minnesota. I have no idea who he is or if there is something really there.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Sy would be a depth forward 6'8" 200, good defender, not a game changer. We would still need a 5 and Chatman would need to sit a year.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Pitino takes way too many guys that have to sit a year, and most of them aren't very helpful when they do get eligible. Get some guys that can play and help right away.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:36 pm Someone on Gopherhole mentioned that Oturu on his instagram hinted that Sy Chatman from UMass may be transferring to Minnesota. I have no idea who he is or if there is something really there.
Former CDH teammate. I think the Gophers checked him out several times a year ago and he looked like a better fit in the mid major market.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:22 am Pitino takes way too many guys that have to sit a year, and most of them aren't very helpful when they do get eligible. Get some guys that can play and help right away.
I tend to agree but the transfer market is always hit or miss. In terms of guys who have had to sit out for a year since Pitino got here:

Reggie Lynch
Davonte Fitzgerald
Matz Stockman
Marcus Carr
Peyton Willis

IMO two of those guys were absolute takes. For depth purposes, Stockman and Willis made some sense when they got them. The issue I have is you should never go into a season with two guys sitting due to transfer if you don't have a walk on or two that can potentially give you some minutes.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

juco sharpshooter Sean McNeil just announced a final six. MN not on there.

Oregon, Western Kentucky, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, West Virginia and Dayton
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Minnehaha Academy game is streaming online right now. How many D1 athletes do they have playing? Between basketball and football, they are pretty stacked.
Let's get Tropical
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

Oturu and Kalscheur are going to be great players in this league. Let’s go Matthew Hurt! Sign a LOI during the NCAA tournament on national tv.
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
Swaggy Pie

Post by Swaggy Pie »

Gophers are 100% NOT being considered by Michael Hurt, are they?

I'm actually very excited about this team next year.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Swaggy Pie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:37 am Gophers are 100% NOT being considered by Michael Hurt, are they?

The real question is what did you think of this epic run through Zverev, Stan, Nadal, and Isner at the Mexican Open? Maybe not epic, but Kyrgios was straight fire! Pau Gasol chat! :lol:
Swaggy Pie

Post by Swaggy Pie »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Swaggy Pie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:37 am Gophers are 100% NOT being considered by Michael Hurt, are they?

Michael is already on the team!

I think Matt Hurt picks UNC or Duke. Leaning Duke still.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

German forward Isaiah Ihnen will visit here, Tennessee and TCU in a couple weeks. I think the Gophers want him a lot. Looks like a versatile forward, can play the wing or the PF.
INSIJS

Post by INSIJS »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:07 am German forward Isaiah Ihnen will visit here, Tennessee and TCU in a couple weeks. I think the Gophers want him a lot. Looks like a versatile forward, can play the wing or the PF.
HHM is there any indication how Pitino is handling having only one signed player so far? Media don’t seem to discuss it.

Any indication of a plan? Or just keep offering and connecting and wait for them to sign?
Fuck you. :finger: Original RC 2004 & RC Kickball Team. :drinky:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

INSIJS wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:42 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:07 am German forward Isaiah Ihnen will visit here, Tennessee and TCU in a couple weeks. I think the Gophers want him a lot. Looks like a versatile forward, can play the wing or the PF.
HHM is there any indication how Pitino is handling having only one signed player so far? Media don’t seem to discuss it.

Any indication of a plan? Or just keep offering and connecting and wait for them to sign?
Locally I think the media/fans have been tough on him because of missing on Tyrell Terry, Tyler Wahl, Zeke Nnaji and David Roddy. Hurt will be #5. Flip side is he's recruited fairly well in the spring when guys are scrambling to find homes. Because this all happens so quick in the spring, names can change day to day so it's hard to figure out what will happen. Last year I know they thought they had a good shot with Trey McGowens who then all of the sudden visits Pitt, reclassifies to 2018 (from the 2019 class) and is a starting guard on Capel's team. Tons of transfers, tons of recruits still out there, juco kids, players getting out of their letters of intent due to coaching changes etc
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Any updates on Grant Sherfield? There hasn't been much news about him since his visit.

I also wonder if we've contacted Kobe Brown and Austin Crowley since they re-opened up their recruitment?
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:58 pm Any updates on Grant Sherfield? There hasn't been much news about him since his visit.

I also wonder if we've contacted Kobe Brown and Austin Crowley since they re-opened up their recruitment?
I think Sherfield is visiting Wichita St soon here. Until that happens, not sure we'll hear more.

I doubt Brown ends up here, I would guess they've contacted Crowley but I don't think they can take Crowley AND Sherfield at this point unless someone else leaves (like Coffey or Hurt).
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Should we be concerned that we don't appear to have any commitments or is that normal in college basketball?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:04 pm Should we be concerned that we don't appear to have any commitments or is that normal in college basketball?
Tre Williams is signed, sealed and delivered.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:23 pm
Hornets wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:04 pm Should we be concerned that we don't appear to have any commitments or is that normal in college basketball?
OK that's ONE.....shouldn't there be more by now? Maybe not, what do I know?!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hornets wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:24 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:23 pm
OK that's ONE.....shouldn't there be more by now? Maybe not, what do I know?!
I don't know... maybe? I'll say it seems like every school has at least one guy transferring these days. My guess on average is every team has at least two open scholarships right now.
Swaggy Pie

Post by Swaggy Pie »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:10 am

guh.

The M.Hurt that has talent!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Swaggy Pie wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:07 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:10 am

guh.

The M.Hurt that has talent!
Saw a little of the McDonald's All American game. I realize it's like an NBA all star game in some aspects but man..... I wish we had Matthew coming here.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

If you were a big looking to transfer and being eligible to play right away, wouldn't you consider coming here? They need the help and playing time is plenty available. They were one of the final 32 last year and have a chance to be solid again, especially with said incoming big. Hopefully they can add a couple of pieces here. Shooting and bigs and lets play!
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:55 am If you were a big looking to transfer and being eligible to play right away, wouldn't you consider coming here? They need the help and playing time is plenty available. They were one of the final 32 last year and have a chance to be solid again, especially with said incoming big. Hopefully they can add a couple of pieces here. Shooting and bigs and lets play!
I don't know if a center will look at it like that but definitely a 4. They are wide open at the 4, I don't think Curry will ever be a full time starter, Oturu is obviously locked into one of the spots but I still don't see him as more than 25 minutes next year. Omersa is an energy guy, I think 15-20 minutes tops next year, providing energy/tough defense etc
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I feel bad for Curry. He looked so promising his freshman year, then obviously has had huge injury issues since. Omersa seems like a great kid and you'll never have to question his heart and effort. I thought he played really well against Michigan St. Held his own on defense for sure. Pretty raw on the other side, but I think he'll be the type that will work his ass off to get better.

But yes, a new starting 4 with Omersa and Curry (hopefully) off the bench and that helps things for sure.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

A grad transfer guard from Minnesota available now? Why wouldn't you look into this, especially if Washington is transferring (nothing confirmed yet).

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I see Pat Andree of Lehigh and Nate Sestina of Bucknell are two stretch 4 grad transfer bigs. The problem? Kentucky has a visit lined up with Sestina already and Andree has heard from a ton of high majors. Grad transfer market is so competitive!