Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

How many more years do you give Pitino?

Home for Gopher Basketball
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

How many more years do you give Pitino?

Post by RubeTube »

Saw a stat today that Richard Pitino is 25 games under .500(Big Ten) since arriving here almost 5 years ago. He also has ZERO Ncaa tournament wins and is looking to finish this season as the worst 5 combined seasons record wise the Gophers have had since the 1980's.

I was willing to give him next year and I still won't be that upset if he is back next year but I don't think he makes it past that. Are we just delaying the inevitable? I could see if this guy had already accomplished something elsewhere but he hasn't and at this point is completely unproven.

Hawk thoughts?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Bob Wiley

Re: How many more years do you give Pitino?

Post by Bob Wiley »

Next year, and that’s it for me. He couldn’t have known this season would fall apart due to Lynch.

Beyond that, if the program doesn’t show real promise, I would get rid of him.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

If I was little Richie my agent would be putting out feelers now for other schools...if I were him a lateral or just below job would be on table
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Style

Post by Style »

I give him all of next season for sure. This year was a disaster from the get-go with Curry’s injury and everything else that happened. Still, this is disappointing as we still have 4 starters from a projected Sweet-16ish team playing.

Next year’s team should win at least one tournament game.

Washington
McBrayer/Harris/Gabe
Coffey/Hurt/Jarvis
Murphy/Curry
Oturu/Stockman

3 returning starters. All-Conference Murphy and a highly recruited Oturu. Get it done, Pitino!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Style wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:36 pm I give him all of next season for sure. This year was a disaster from the get-go with Curry’s injury and everything else that happened. Still, this is disappointing as we still have 4 starters from a projected Sweet-16ish team playing.

Next year’s team should win at least one tournament game.

Washington
McBrayer/Harris/Gabe
Coffey/Hurt/Jarvis
Murphy/Curry
Oturu/Stockman

3 returning starters. All-Conference Murphy and a highly recruited Oturu. Get it done, Pitino!
I could see some transfers. There's also the very real possibility that Murphy goes pro after having this type of year. Also, as we are seeing with Washington, not all highly rated recruits are ready for the Big Ten level. Im looking forward to getting Oturu, but putting lofty expectations on a freshman can often bite you.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Oturo and Omersa will not help shooting woes.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Next year they need to turn it back around or else.

Oturu and Omersa are talented and will help the frontcourt, though Omersa likely won't play much next year behind Coffey/Murphy/Curry/Oturu/Stockman.

Kalscheur will be a great shooting addition.

Washington has been a disappointment and Pitino needs to bring in a grad transfer guard, BADLY. Hurt had some opportunities but didn't do much with them, very disappointed but maybe he can step it back up at some point here. Harris is an undersized two guard... good shooter off the bench for now.

Murphy isn't going to the NBA next year, that's not an actual discussion is it?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
full force five

Post by full force five »

A front court of Oturu, Murphy, Curry, Coffey, and Stockman is a good starting point. McBrayer/Harris/Gabe is fine but they are hurting at PG. I wouldn't be shocked if Washington heads back east, that would leave the gophers in a terrible situation for 2018.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

I wouldn't be shocked if Murphy tried to go pro, but I don't see him being much of a pro. He seems like a scoring version of Mbakwe. Too short to be an effective 4, and not near quick or good enough to be an effective 3, in the pros.

I very often wonder how different this team would be if Jarvis Johnson could be playing. Obviously, he doesn't help the frontcourt, but it's hard to think that he wouldn't be the starting PG on this team right now, with Mason at the 2.

Is it possible the biggest legitimate miss for Pitino right now is Davison or Wright? I haven't been following what Theo John has been doing. I do know Reuvers has gotten a lot of run for Bucky. Maybe last years class is a bigger miss than what anyone realized?
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

cmd24 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:48 am I wouldn't be shocked if Murphy tried to go pro, but I don't see him being much of a pro. He seems like a scoring version of Mbakwe. Too short to be an effective 4, and not near quick or good enough to be an effective 3, in the pros.

I very often wonder how different this team would be if Jarvis Johnson could be playing. Obviously, he doesn't help the frontcourt, but it's hard to think that he wouldn't be the starting PG on this team right now, with Mason at the 2.

Is it possible the biggest legitimate miss for Pitino right now is Davison or Wright? I haven't been following what Theo John has been doing. I do know Reuvers has gotten a lot of run for Bucky. Maybe last years class is a bigger miss than what anyone realized?
Pitino's biggest blunder (on the court, the off the court stuff with Lynch, McNeil, Lofton, Morris etc all still count but off the court) biggest blunder on the court is Konate/Diedhiou.. and it's not close. We ripped Tubby at the end for his recruiting with Chip Armelin, Maverick, Wally Ellenson, Charles Buggs, etc... Konate/Diedhiou are bad, really bad. Konate is a below average big ten center.. once in awhile you get a serviceable 5 minutes from him... Diedhiou legimiately doesn't understand aspects of the game.. doesn't know how to play. And Pitino at one point with Konate said he was further along than Gorgui Dieng... anyone remember that? :o

Murphy going pro mean he'll maybe get selected to a team in the second and then basically a d-league guy.. if that's what he wants.... by all means.

The 217 class had two scholarships. Wright/Theo John likely is the class (IMO) if the Gophers wait on Wright to decide versus letting Washington commit immediately.

Reuvers was offered but was never coming here. Davison was a guy Pitino didn't push on hard enough until it was way too late... keep in mind on Brad, he only had mid major offers mainly until he blew up in AAU spring ball his junior year... then big schools came calling.

Gophers wanted Jericho Sims badly, probably more than any of these guys. He doesn't play a ton for Texas right now but he's got the length/size/athletic ability to help going forward.

McKinley Wright would be the starting pg the next three years over Washington had he taken the second scholarship when it was open. He thought the Gophers did him wrong though taking Washington and he committed to Dayton then.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Need to overpay for a big name guy. Otherwise we'll be a bottom feeder forever.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I'm ready to give Pitino the axe. Let a new coach come in why Murphy and some of the upper classmen are still here. You essentially set a new coach up after next year, like you did Pitino after Tubby.

People are saying the recruiting is slowing down a bit. That's because it's going to be year 6 and the excitement is starting to fizzle. This happens everywhere unless you are a top school. New coaches always bring excitement and promise when they first come. Monson and Tubby recruited well in the beginning of their tenures too. In fact, I think Pitino's recruiting has been overblown at this point. There isn't many good players on this team.

Pitino needs to have top talent to win. He's not going to out coach anybody. That's fine and dandy if you are getting all the top talent but we don't here. You need a guy who can coach and develop some of these players. I'm convinced if the Gophers were not snubbed by everyone and panicked, Pitino would never have had a chance yet at a power school. It's not like he has a track record or anything. Move on!

I do think Coyle would like to hire his own guy. It's highly unlikely they can him with the money they owe this year but I think you are prolonging the inevitable. I don't see this team being very good next year.

Could end up being 30 games under .500 in B10 play by end of the year. Zero tourney wins. 2 of the worst Gopher seasons in the last 30+ years out of the last 3. Multiple sex scandals. Pull the plug!!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Give him next year and also see what his next recruiting class will look like. We can always bring in Double T to run this ship!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
full force five

He gets next year. Then the axe. The swing and miss with Konate/Diedhiou are unforgivable. They are so bad. I see why he looked at them with the size, the next Dieng. But man are they terrible. The Washington over Davidson/Wright is what bugs me the most. If we had Wright next year we would be a very competitive team in the BIG 10. A starting line-up of Curry/Murphy/Coffey/Mcbrayer/Wright . . . with Stockman/Harris/Oturu/Hurt coming off the bench, yes! Let's face it younger Hurt or Suggs ain't coming here.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

full force five wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:04 am He gets next year. Then the axe. The swing and miss with Konate/Diedhiou are unforgivable. They are so bad. I see why he looked at them with the size, the next Dieng. But man are they terrible. The Washington over Davidson/Wright is what bugs me the most. If we had Wright next year we would be a very competitive team in the BIG 10. A starting line-up of Curry/Murphy/Coffey/Mcbrayer/Wright . . . with Stockman/Harris/Oturu/Hurt coming off the bench, yes! Let's face it younger Hurt or Suggs ain't coming here.
I do understand this thinking. He also has a large buyout but that shouldn't stop you if you don't think he is the right guy. I'm not going to be upset if he gets another year but I think he is canned anyway after next year.

Some depends on how he pulls through the rest of the season. The B1G is horrible! You can't possibly finish at the bottom?!?

Lynch brought the season down but it's hard for me to feel bad in Pitino's case. They damn well knew about this stuff LONG ago.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:32 pm
full force five wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:04 am He gets next year. Then the axe. The swing and miss with Konate/Diedhiou are unforgivable. They are so bad. I see why he looked at them with the size, the next Dieng. But man are they terrible. The Washington over Davidson/Wright is what bugs me the most. If we had Wright next year we would be a very competitive team in the BIG 10. A starting line-up of Curry/Murphy/Coffey/Mcbrayer/Wright . . . with Stockman/Harris/Oturu/Hurt coming off the bench, yes! Let's face it younger Hurt or Suggs ain't coming here.
I do understand this thinking. He also has a large buyout but that shouldn't stop you if you don't think he is the right guy. I'm not going to be upset if he gets another year but I think he is canned anyway after next year.

Some depends on how he pulls through the rest of the season. The B1G is horrible! You can't possibly finish at the bottom?!?

Lynch brought the season down but it's hard for me to feel bad in Pitino's case. They damn well knew about this stuff LONG ago.
Lynch loss was huge but this team was cooked well before...the bench is an absolute disgrace. None of them should even be playing mid-major basketball let alone BiG Ten
full force five

I don't agree with all: Gad, Konate, Hurt and a double knee injury Fitz probably no. Murphy, Mason, Coffey are elite players.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

full force five wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:33 am Murphy, Mason, Coffey are elite players.
Pj, glad to see you found rubechat. "elite" doesn't mean what you think it means...
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sid Hartman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 pm
Rubetube wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:32 pm

Lynch loss was huge but this team was cooked well before...the bench is an absolute disgrace. None of them should even be playing mid-major basketball let alone BiG Ten
They weren't cooked before.. you gotta be kidding me. The drop off from Lynch to Konate is so significant.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

No one should feel bad for Pitino.. two years ago I trusted the team was going to rebound for a historically bad season because they had a nice recruiting class coming in, a nice freshmen class, two transfers sitting out, etc... Now? You lose two guys to injuries, one to suspension, you're down one guy again due to transfer (NOT SMART ANYMORE) and now you're back to playing two centers who have no business playing at this level, in this league. Jamir Harris was likely a guy who was going to sit most of the year, now he's forced into duty. Washington has been disappointing but the talent is there, it's on coaching to improve it. Same with Hurt (though not as talented), put him in spots to succeed. Use him for what he does well..
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:33 am

They weren't cooked before.. you gotta be kidding me. The drop off from Lynch to Konate is so significant.
They were cooked, it’s why I got banned from Gopherhole for pointing it out to the gopher bobos...the Alabama game shed some light on this team and the issues it was going to have. Even with Lynch this team doesn’t make tourney this year with how bad Big Ten is, weak non conference schedule and all the injuries
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sid Hartman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:15 pm

They were cooked, it’s why I got banned from Gopherhole for pointing it out to the gopher bobos...the Alabama game shed some light on this team and the issues it was going to have. Even with Lynch this team doesn’t make tourney this year with how bad Big Ten is, weak non conference schedule and all the injuries
You got banned because you were negative... that's what happens on most team friendly boards. The Alabama game showed this team doesn't have many good shooters and without Mason, they're lost.

Weak non conference schedule though? I'm done... you're crazy.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:28 pm
Sid Hartman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:15 pm
You got banned because you were negative... that's what happens on most team friendly boards. The Alabama game showed this team doesn't have many good shooters and without Mason, they're lost.

Weak non conference schedule though? I'm done... you're crazy.
So their 212 ranked non-conference schedule is good? And this is the nicest one out there as there are other rankings have it much lower
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Bob Wiley wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:29 am
full force five wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:33 am Murphy, Mason, Coffey are elite players.
Pj, glad to see you found rubechat. "elite" doesn't mean what you think it means...
I would say Murphy has been the only "Elite" player.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Herky

Post by Herky »

With the stuff going on internally and his contract I think you fire him after the season. Minnesota can do better.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Herky wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 am With the stuff going on internally and his contract I think you fire him after the season. Minnesota can do better.
I'm all for letting him go. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out. A strong finish (Meaning a couple wins) and I could go 50/50. If they lose out, fire him.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

I doubt they fire him after this season, I'd be really surprised. Next year though... he'll be back to where he was last year, win or pack your bags.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:54 am I doubt they fire him after this season, I'd be really surprised. Next year though... he'll be back to where he was last year, win or pack your bags.
Depends also if they like someone at the end of this year. If you really don't like the candidates, you can hold off. If you have the chance to get someone you really want, you make the move.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:01 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:54 am I doubt they fire him after this season, I'd be really surprised. Next year though... he'll be back to where he was last year, win or pack your bags.
Depends also if they like someone at the end of this year. If you really don't like the candidates, you can hold off. If you have the chance to get someone you really want, you make the move.
I like JB Bickerstaff, assuming he doesn't get the permanent head coaching job with Memphis. Doogie interviewed him before the 16-17 season and I thought there were seeds getting planted there for that.

Ben Jacobson has always been a guy I like... if they fire Pitino and the guy doesn't have ties to the area, forget it.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:09 am
Rubetube wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:01 am
I like JB Bickerstaff, assuming he doesn't get the permanent head coaching job with Memphis. Doogie interviewed him before the 16-17 season and I thought there were seeds getting planted there for that.

Ben Jacobson has always been a guy I like... if they fire Pitino and the guy doesn't have ties to the area, forget it.
Jacobson is my first choice. Having a rough season this year and would maybe be willing to leave? I don't know that are too concerned with a HC with local ties. Many like Musselman right now. Don't know much about him but I hear he is great at coaching up inferior talent and that's something we could use.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master